State of Origin 2022 Ampol State of Origin

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't follow this thread last night, and only jumped on after full time, but what was the general opinion of the sin binnings?

Acknowledge my bias as a blue, but I thought Burton was stiff to get 10, and Holmes must have been close to getrting sent off for the rest of the game.

Also thought Tino holding Burton still for Holmes to belt him wasn't a great look.

I didn't follow this thread last night, and only jumped on after full time, but what was the general opinion of the sin binnings?

Acknowledge my bias as a blue, but I thought Burton was stiff to get 10, and Holmes must have been close to getrting sent off for the rest of the game.

Also thought Tino holding Burton still for Holmes to belt him wasn't a great look.
Why would Holmes have gone?

Perhaps a touch stiff but unfortunately you get it if you retaliate, that’s pretty consistent

Apologies!
All good.

Fwiw (and I admit I’m biased as well) I thought Burton bowling over Ponga was what started it so 10 each was probably a fair outcome. Based on what the refs actually looked at and adjudged Gagai probably should have gone altogether and Burton for 10 (I think if Burton was KOd Gagai would have gone for sure).

All good.

Fwiw (and I admit I’m biased as well) I thought Burton bowling over Ponga was what started it so 10 each was probably a fair outcome. Based on what the refs actually looked at and adjudged Gagai probably should have gone altogether and Burton for 10 (I think if Burton was KOd Gagai would have gone for sure).
I honestly thought Burton tripped over Ponga accidentally. Burton's mistake was to go and remonstrate with Gagai, after Gagai had pushed him as retaliation for bumping Ponga.

It was pretty heated, and I guess Gagai had no idea what Burton's intentions were so lashed out.

So I’m not too bothered they got 10 each. Burton probably deserved 10, and Gagai probably deserved to be sent off.

What did you think of Tino getting involved? I love him as a player, but I thought that was pretty bad, him holding Burton who's trying to defend himself while some big punches are being thrown by Gagai.

I honestly thought Burton tripped over Ponga accidentally. Burton's mistake was to go and remonstrate with Gagai, after Gagai had pushed him as retaliation for bumping Ponga.

It was pretty heated, and I guess Gagai had no idea what Burton's intentions were so lashed out.

So I’m not too bothered they got 10 each. Burton probably deserved 10, and Gagai probably deserved to be sent off.

What did you think of Tino getting involved? I love him as a player, but I thought that was pretty bad, him holding Burton who's trying to defend himself while some big punches are being thrown by Gagai.
Yeh I can see that. I think I’m the end 10 each was probably the “right” overall outcome if you take the whole thing from Burton on Ponga through to the fists flying but obviously a queenslander will take the outcome that got the win too.

I honestly think Tino was trying to break it up in the most Tino way possible, if he really wanted to do some damage he would have been throwing them with Gagai.

I also think Burton accidentally fell over Ponga.

Doesn't take much in these matches.

Burto and Gagai definitely had to go. Do think Tino was lucky. Not sure how many fights get broken up by putting the opposition into a head lock and throwing him to the ground.
I did say "in the most Tino way possible". I dont think he was just trying to break it up but he also had some nous to not just go throwing cut lunches as well.

I did say "in the most Tino way possible". I dont think he was just trying to break it up but he also had some nous to not just go throwing cut lunches as well.
I get why they get involved but I always think it's pretty ordinary getting involved like that. Gagai was towelling him up anyway and then there were another 5 or 6 other Queenslanders around Burton.

Would prefer that the two biffing go at it and no one else gets involved.

I get why they get involved but I always think it's pretty ordinary getting involved like that. Gagai was towelling him up anyway and then there were another 5 or 6 other Queenslanders around Burton.

Would prefer that the two biffing go at it and no one else gets involved.
Like ice hockey.

I probably would too TBH but thats just not the mechanics of League (or any team sport outside of hockey TBH).

FWIW i think Tino was certainly trying to do a bit of work on Burton but he was clever enough not to just throw punches and then everyone runs in and wrestles at which point if youre sending Tino you gotta kinda send them all. In a way i think it was pragmatic and sensible from the ref in consideration of everything that happened in the build up. I also dont advocate for the old school league heads who say "dont send the player cause we want a contest" do the crime cop the punishment.

Terrific contest, QLD good valus for the win. I dunno about them being underdogs, I expected a Maroon win at home. Of course losing Munster was a big blow, but Tommy Deardon did just fine, and can be well pleased with his debut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Tino probably saved Burton from getting punched a few more times in the head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back