2022 and the State of the Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we need to back up the bus a little bit
Need to factor in that plenty of young guys struggle in year 2 or 3 and a couple of the old guys will be that bit older next year.plus we have a couple of holes to fill.

so dont want to be the xmas grinch, but i think we'll struggle to win the flag next year.............;)

We should be trading next year's first for a top ten pick this year.

We may not play finals but we will be significantly better. We lost alot of players thru injury and it enabled the development of our kids because they had to stand up. Whatever next year brings we should be aiming at a prelim in 2023 at least. If we get two good picks this year at the price of next years first it will consolidate our young players ov er the 2016-2021 time frame. (2015-21 if you count Buckets.)
that's my fervent desire too; really strengthen this under 23 group and then get FAs were you can to fill specific needs over the next 3-4 years

LDU has the most potential IMO. He is so explosive and can stand up in a tackle. Hard to find guys like that.
Yeah I can see your point, however Powell has shown more in a handful of games than any of our draftees just about ever. His vision and IQ is GAJ-esque and his skills by hand and by foot are nearly as good as Cunners already.

He’s the forgotten man (kid) at the minute and his ceiling is scary..

Yeah I can see your point, however Powell has shown more in a handful of games than any of our draftees just about ever. His vision and IQ is GAJ-esque and his skills by hand and by foot are nearly as good as Cunners already.

He’s the forgotten man (kid) at the minute and his ceiling is scary..

Early 90s in my bachelor days with a young group coming through i stuck North pics all over the fridge - it ended up totally covered. Wish id taken pics of it, it was bloody cool af.
Im fighting the urge to do the same now, as i know it bloody cold in the dog house during winter.

Missing a KPF or two and with Robbie's form the KPD list profile isn't looking too healthy either. Shore up those, I think mid table next season and we should be attacking finals in 2023.

Swans, Hawks and Bombers rising alongside us and I can't see too many of the current top 8 falling off a cliff.

We are playing good footy right now, and LDU and Thomas provide something special in the midfield.
Don’t even see Geelong approaching a cliff? Or just not next year?

A fair thread must temper the result with the fact Carlton are terrible. We are experts at judging terrible as we have been there for far too long.

Positive is we haven't been beaten by a side below us this season that's a good sign I do believe. I did say about 18 months ago we wanted to build a quick skilled outfit with 70 metre players ( run and carry ) & plenty of midfield options. As a player you would want at least one elite trait.

With that in mind, I'd like to see Corr, Perez, Bonar, Powell, Comben come into the side that won yesterday. Yes, correct five changes so who misses out I suppose is the real question. Look at that in a sec.

By stumps season 2022; Zurhaar, Thomas, LDU, Larkey, Taylor, Mahony, Scott and Stephenson will all things being equal have played between 50- 90 games. No longer inexperienced, yes they'll be young and that's a credit to our 'vision' and desire to not judge against results. Huge tick to our off field processes.

So then you have Comben, Perez, Phillips, Powell, Xerri, Spicer ( probably 12 months away still) ditto Edwards , Ford , Ham and Lazzaro to be the inexperienced 'youth' on our list. You'd suggest by design we will continue to play the majority of them at different stages in 2022. Our VFL side should be good viewing in 2022.

So for mine I can't see much future for the likes of these; Polec, Dumont, Atley, Campbell, Menadue, J. Walker, W. Walker, Garner and Tyson. I am not bagging any of them. Atley probably stiff but as our want is to expose the youngsters how do you fit a Corr, Bonar and Perez or Hayden into our backline?

I'd swing JZ fwd to add to our muscle and to ensure big Comben is looked after. JZ isn't slow laterally is a great mark and reads the play very well. A forward line of;

Stephenson, Comben, Thomas

Zurhaar, Larkey, Ziebell

IMO that is premiership material, yes I am backing in Comben was told he's now fine and we've fixed his issues.

So remembering you still need some hardened footballers to ensure you're competitive; JZ, Cunners, Goldy, Anderson, McDonald, Corr, Hall, Simpkin, Turner & Tarrant. That's plenty. Again LDU, larkey, Thomas, Zurhaar & Stephenson will all have played 50 + games at seasons start next year and all have had another preseason.

So using the Mick Malthouse premiership clock if and hour is a year, it cannot be any earlier than 9:30. 2.5 years to being in the premiership window, then cross your fingers and pray you need luck .

I haven't allowed for this years draft crop as I don't tend to follow the drafts much so have no idea beyond Horne of course. we are ontrack and let's be honest we've been rebuilding since 2016 as it's 2021, we have got a tad lucky....

2016 draft

* Simpkin
* Larkey
* Zurhaar (r)

2017 draft

* LDU
* Stephenson
* Bonar

2018 draft

* Thomas
* Scott
* Taylor
* Atu
( 2018 not near the other years, but TT makes up for it)

2019 draft

* Comben
* Mahony
* Perez
( fingers crossed for 2019)

2020 draft
* Phillips
*Powell
* Lazzar

A fair thread must temper the result with the fact Carlton are terrible. We are experts at judging terrible as we have been there for far too long.

Positive is we haven't been beaten by a side below us this season that's a good sign I do believe. I did say about 18 months ago we wanted to build a quick skilled outfit with 70 metre players ( run and carry ) & plenty of midfield options. As a player you would want at least one elite trait.

With that in mind, I'd like to see Corr, Perez, Bonar, Powell, Comben come into the side that won yesterday. Yes, correct five changes so who misses out I suppose is the real question. Look at that in a sec.

By stumps season 2022; Zurhaar, Thomas, LDU, Larkey, Taylor, Mahony, Scott and Stephenson will all things being equal have played between 50- 90 games. No longer inexperienced, yes they'll be young and that's a credit to our 'vision' and desire to not judge against results. Huge tick to our off field processes.

So then you have Comben, Perez, Phillips, Powell, Xerri, Spicer ( probably 12 months away still) ditto Edwards , Ford , Ham and Lazzaro to be the inexperienced 'youth' on our list. You'd suggest by design we will continue to play the majority of them at different stages in 2022. Our VFL side should be good viewing in 2022.

So for mine I can't see much future for the likes of these; Polec, Dumont, Atley, Campbell, Menadue, J. Walker, W. Walker, Garner and Tyson. I am not bagging any of them. Atley probably stiff but as our want is to expose the youngsters how do you fit a Corr, Bonar and Perez or Hayden into our backline?

I'd swing JZ fwd to add to our muscle and to ensure big Comben is looked after. JZ isn't slow laterally is a great mark and reads the play very well. A forward line of;

Stephenson, Comben, Thomas

Zurhaar, Larkey, Ziebell

IMO that is premiership material, yes I am backing in Comben was told he's now fine and we've fixed his issues.

So remembering you still need some hardened footballers to ensure you're competitive; JZ, Cunners, Goldy, Anderson, McDonald, Corr, Hall, Simpkin, Turner & Tarrant. That's plenty. Again LDU, larkey, Thomas, Zurhaar & Stephenson will all have played 50 + games at seasons start next year and all have had another preseason.

So using the Mick Malthouse premiership clock if and hour is a year, it cannot be any earlier than 9:30. 2.5 years to being in the premiership window, then cross your fingers and pray you need luck .

I haven't allowed for this years draft crop as I don't tend to follow the drafts much so have no idea beyond Horne of course. we are ontrack and let's be honest we've been rebuilding since 2016 as it's 2021, we have got a tad lucky....

2016 draft

* Simpkin
* Larkey
* Zurhaar (r)

2017 draft

* LDU
* Stephenson
* Bonar

2018 draft

* Thomas
* Scott
* Taylor
* Atu
( 2018 not near the other years, but TT makes up for it)

2019 draft

* Comben
* Mahony
* Perez
( fingers crossed for 2019)

2020 draft
* Phillips
*Powell
* Lazzar
I think you are 12 months too late. 2023 is when we will have the window open.

I all for premature expectations.

I think you are 12 months too late. 2023 is when we will have the window open.

I all for premature expectations.

Well I hope you're correct and yes there is a chance that could happen it does take top four finishes to be a chance. So the fourth placed side is currently 13/5.
We're a ways of that and then winning a final intestate, that's the tough part.

I love Nobes with you guys even more than I did when he was with us. It’s awesome to see him doing so well.

Lesson Brisbane fans have learnt; trust that these guys know wtf they are doing.

Don’t crack the shits when you pay way overs for some players, or let some of your own go for very little, or recruit some injury-prone fringe guy.

Some of it was really confusing at the time, but give it time because nearly every one of them turns into gold.

Accept that you are in the hands of someone who knows much more about this caper than you do.

In Nobes you must trust.

I love Nobes with you guys even more than I did when he was with us. It’s awesome to see him doing so well.

Lesson Brisbane fans have learnt; trust that these guys know wtf they are doing.

Don’t crack the shits when you pay way overs for some players, or let some of your own go for very little, or recruit some injury-prone fringe guy.

Some of it was really confusing at the time, but give it time because nearly every one of them turns into gold.

Accept that you are in the hands of someone who knows much more about this caper than you do.

In Nobes you must trust.

fair enough comment and thanks for the positive feedback. I think the NMFC BF board is fairly content and the majority can see what we're about. We've spent years staggering around in the wilderness beating the occasional more fancied side.

fair enough comment and thanks for the positive feedback. I think the NMFC BF board is fairly content and the majority can see what we're about. We've spent years staggering around in the wilderness beating the occasional more fancied side.
His big mantra is just to get the deal done. He is not interested in old school chest-thumping and screwing people over.

On market rates at the time, we overpaid for Charlie Cameron. He had nominated us and we were in the strongest position. But we didn’t put up any fight at all, just meekly handed over pick 12 when if we had stuck to our guns our pick 15 would have gotten the job done.

Charlie turned out kinda okay in retrospect, and pick 15 turned into Zac Bailey who is kinda alright too I suppose. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we need to draft a key defender in the later rounds, in terms of key forward between comben and edward, we have a decent key forward, say Josh Jenkins.

In Nobes you must trust.

Noble with John Blakey beside him. They've seen and done it all before many times.

Blakey is sh*t...........ummmmm wow, okay.

There are not that many 195cm players who would play on the wing.......
So what if he is 195cm? He has taken 22 contested marks in 50 games, i.e. less than one every two games and he averages 2.5 marks per game over his career. One of the supposed major benefits of having a tall guy play in a shorter man's position is that those mark numbers should be up. He might as well be 184cm as he isn't exploiting his POD.

So what if he is 195cm? He has taken 22 contested marks in 50 games, i.e. less than one every two games and he averages 2.5 marks per game over his career. One of the supposed major benefits of having a tall guy play in a shorter man's position is that those mark numbers should be up. He might as well be 184cm as he isn't exploiting his POD.

He has his use, if coached properly he can be a useful player.

As far as developing the list the key priorities are:

- Key Defender (to develop until Tarrant calls time)
- Key Forward (Edwards kind of alleviates the need)
- Developing Ruckman (I don’t think X is the man to takeover once Goldy’s time is up)
- Small crumbing forward

I honestly believe that if we can find another key forward and have an injury free run we could give the 8 a good shake next year.

Some of you may know my wife Debbie, but I take umbrella to the OP commenting that it’s been the highest quality because Norths continue to kick the ball incorrectly on many occasions resulting in turn over scores.
All the best.

David Downer
GCS Member no 6868

As far as developing the list the key priorities are:

- Key Defender (to develop until Tarrant calls time)
- Key Forward (Edwards kind of alleviates the need)
- Developing Ruckman (I don’t think X is the man to takeover once Goldy’s time is up)
- Small crumbing forward

I honestly believe that if we can find another key forward and have an injury free run we could give the 8 a good shake next year.

nah, Xero is quite, he’s the rough and tumble type, a contrast to Goldstein, just needs to be given long run in the team, ruckman needs continuity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back