2022 and the State of the Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Anderson is like a jake edwards, a decent competitor but won’t be needed when team matures.

I know our KPD stocks are thin... But I'm most concerned about our rucks.

Goldy has been huge this year and I dont see someone in the squad ready in the next 12 to 24 months to ruck for 70% of the game.

I'm probably being harsh on X, but he's very clumsy and his aggression, whilst good to see, is constantly giving away costly frees and killing momentum. He'll need to cut that out if he's going to be a top 18 ruck in the league.

I think we need to recruit another ruck this off season to compete with Campbell (not a long term solution) and X (unsure if he's up to it) for that second big / swing forward spot.

Goldy has been huge this year and I dont see someone in the squad ready in the next 12 to 24 months to ruck for 70% of the game.

I'm probably being harsh on X, but he's very clumsy and his aggression, whilst good to see, is constantly giving away costly frees and killing momentum. He'll need to cut that out if he's going to be a top 18 ruck in the league.

I think we need to recruit another ruck this off season to compete with Campbell (not a long term solution) and X (unsure if he's up to it) for that second big / swing forward spot.

no, rucks in AFL are like the wicket keepers in cricket, once you have chosen you got to stock with him.

ian Healy was know as iron glove when he was first around the scenery.

xerri is the upcoming ruck, he needs to be given extended stay. His aggression and physicality will be crucial in complementing the high end midfield.

no, rucks in AFL are like the wicket keepers in cricket, once you have chosen you got to stock with him.

xerri is the upcoming ruck, he needs to be given extended stay. His aggression and physicality will be crucial in complementing the high end midfield.
AED563AB-8988-4FAF-9899-BA09635AB287.jpeg

If we finish 16th or 17th and get a commitment from JK we might go (after FS’s picks);
4 - Gibcus (KPD)
24 - Mac Andrew (ruck)
38 - Best Nippy SF available
74 - Archer

We look good. We have developed a list of midfielders who win clearances and contested ball, but who can also swing forward and have an impact on the scoreboard. Right now we can conceivably have almost three different centre bounce rotations in place and not lose a great deal.

Cunners - Jy - LDU
Thomas - Powell - Stephenson
Phillips - Anderson - ???

We also have the likes of Scott and Lazzaro in the mix. Just how capable they will be in that role we will see.

That is a hell of a lot of flexibility and positions us beautifully heading into this trade and draft period. Add Kelly and well, we are set for the next five years without having to add another mid. With positional flexibility being the mantra though you can never have enough quality mid sized players who can play everywhere, so Horne, Goater or Callaghan would be great additions and make that one of the best midfield groups the club has ever assembled. Certainly talented and deep enough to push consistently into finals for years to come.

Regardless of the Kelly situation I would look to trade next years 1st into this years 1st round and target a KPD as the long term partner to McKay. I can see us pushing for the 6-8 position in 2022 IF we continue to see some improvements in the 23 and under group AND the elders stay on the ******* park. Maximise value this year and push the profile forward a year.

We can use 2022/3 as a last hurrah with the likes of Taz, JZ, Hall and maybe Atley, and give Bonar and Perez time to bed themselves into the AFL proper, ready to replace them when the time is right.

KPF could be set IF Comben and Edwards come on, so I would like to see what they can bring from next year.

A ruck to replace Goldy is a propriety but if need be we can trade for one ready made kicking about on another teams list, then target a gun via FA.

So, trade out 22 1st for Gibcus, and Horne/Callaghan/Goater and maybe grab Kelly.
Bring through Comben/Edwards for 2nd KPF.
Transition Bonar and Perez into the back half.

So 2023:

B: Bonar - McKay - Gibcus
HB: Perez - Corr - McDonald
C: Scott - LDU - Kelly
HF: Stephenson - Comben - Thomas
F: Anderson - Larkey - Zurhaar
R: Goldstein/Edwards/Other - Cunnington - Simpkin
Int: Phillips - Powell - Ford/Taylor - Horne/Callaghan/Goater

Dudes need to stay fit though....

We look good. We have developed a list of midfielders who win clearances and contested ball, but who can also swing forward and have an impact on the scoreboard. Right now we can conceivably have almost three different centre bounce rotations in place and not lose a great deal.

Cunners - Jy - LDU

We also have the likes of Scott and Lazzaro in the mix. Just how capable they will be in that role we will see.

That is a hell of a lot of flexibility and positions us beautifully heading into this trade and draft period. Add Kelly and well, we are set for the next five years without having to add another mid. With positional flexibility being the mantra though you can never have enough quality mid sized players who can play everywhere, so Horne, Goater or Callaghan would be great additions and make that one of the best midfield groups the club has ever assembled. Certainly talented and deep enough to push consistently into finals for years to come.

Regardless of the Kelly situation I would look to trade next years 1st into this years 1st round and target a KPD as the long term partner to McKay. I can see us pushing for the 6-8 position in 2022 IF we continue to see some improvements in the 23 and under group AND the elders stay on the ******* park. Maximise value this year and push the profile forward a year.

We can use 2022/3 as a last hurrah with the likes of Taz, JZ, Hall and maybe Atley, and give Bonar and Perez time to bed themselves into the AFL proper, ready to replace them when the time is right.

KPF could be set IF Comben and Edwards come on, so I would like to see what they can bring from next year.

A ruck to replace Goldy is a propriety but if need be we can trade for one ready made kicking about on another teams list, then target a gun via FA.

So, trade out 22 1st for Gibcus, and Horne/Callaghan/Goater and maybe grab Kelly.

So 2023:

Where does Turner fit into all of this?

I wouldn't waste an early pick on a ruckman, round 5 plus or rookie, unless he is highly rated but falls down the draft for some reason. The worst case scenario, you can pick up another teams back-up ruck and they generally work out pretty well. You don't need a top 5 ruckman to win premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we already putting kelly down on the wing?

But then again, if he hasn't signed by now, signs are not looking good for gws.

Not so sure about that. He's played some good footy the last few years. The players walk taller when he plays
Plenty of footy left for Jed at the club

Jed stepped on in the 2018 season when he was fully fit and playing onball but we have seen the rise of a batch of high end youngsters so that jed no longer has to play as one of the no.3 mid behind cunnington and higgins. He has his role, his new role, at least atm when still returning to full fitness is to play as a defensive small forward on the likes of Saad.

The most important 3 players for North next year are Aaron Hall, Zurhar, and LDU because they are all willing to risk personal embarrassment doing things that make the ball flow and create scoring opportunities.
Doesn't mean they are the best players. Just the best role models for team oriented actions.
And also, what those three do are within their skillset which is another important factor.
If we get a total team mentality, we'll go top 4 next year.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would love Party boy Ladhams from Port to replace Goldie down the track. Not to fussed about not having a young developing Ruck, I find that is the easiest position to poach from another club. Always someone not getting the game time they perhaps would at another club. Ladhams I feel could push AA type of calculations given the chance in a few years time in my opinion

Cunners - Jy - LDU

So 2023:

You mention Lazz and Scott but conceivably Mahony, Turner, Bonar, Hayden, McDonald, Dumont, Polec, Hall, Atley maybe Perez and Ford, even Taylor and actually the one I think may be most suited as a defensive mid - Atu. If they weren't up for de listing WWalker, Tyson and Garns could all run thru there at least twice a game and for that matter Zurhaar (tho he isn't up for de listing afaik.)

... as silly as it sounds.

Now not all of those players will be here next year, some would probably be the sort of players you use rarely to break things up or in response to well drilled oppositions, Taylor for a bounce or two cos he commits to going hard for the ball whatever is coming at him, or Turner to tag someone. They aren't necessarily good mids but its a massive pool of people who could run thru there or have in the past. And some have genuine midfield potential or have at least already played there. I wouldn't mind having a group of ten players to rotate thru say five or six bounces per game if I was a coach.

More realistically Mahony, Turner (especially to tag players or follow a forward who he has kept out of the game,) McDonald, Dumont (tho he's limited) and Atu, then potentially Ford, Perez and Hayden (if he stays around) could fit. Zurhaar if he did the work to build an appropriate tank ... he would be remarkable.

Maybe three of them with the most potential working towards covering for a group of injuries to mids or something. Next year is a good opportunity to experiment with this. While we could finish anywhere from sixth to sixteenth depending on how the side develops, if Noble is really after flexibility that is insane amounts of flexibility.

Midfielders with forward potential who can be good for a 1-2 goals a game across the season are where the game is going. Or forwards with mid potenial. Its probably the same thing but the first group - Martin, FyFe and Danger if they could kick straight, or TT, Sleevo, even Cunners and LDU for us, are more mids who can play forward but there is also this trend of solidly built guys like DeGoey or Stringer pushing into the middle as impact players (ie forwards with midfield potential.) Zurhaar could do this. Potentially Ford, who is sposed to have chased Freo for tapes of Nat Fyfe to study as a role model in the midfield. He is a unit as well. if Garner had been up to the rigors of playing I reckon he would have had shifts in the middle as well.

We have a lot of potentially workable midfield combinations and some young gun midfielders that will make up the mainstay of those rotations.

Jed stepped on in the 2018 season when he was fully fit and playing onball but we have seen the rise of a batch of high end youngsters so that jed no longer has to play as one of the no.3 mid behind cunnington and higgins. He has his role, his new role, at least atm when still returning to full fitness is to play as a defensive small forward on the likes of Saad.

Don't disagree with anything you say above . Just interested that you say he'll be gone when the team matures
I think he'll be around for a good while yet (injuries aside). Noble will love what he brings to the table

If we finish 16th or 17th and get a commitment from JK we might go (after FS’s picks);
4 - Gibcus (KPD)
24 - Mac Andrew (ruck)
38 - Best Nippy SF available
74 - Archer
Won’t get Mac Andrew at 24. Academy bids can be matched outside the 1st round. I’m perfectly happy for us to persist with X, with Comben/Edwards helping out and go trade/FA later if necessary.

Actually it was Rod Marsh known as iron gloves in his early days

Actually it was Rod Marsh known as iron gloves in his early days

Ah right, yes, there ya go, one of the better keepers in aus history.......started off not too flash.

Mark boucher for south africa, most number of catches, was considered to be not very good......

Xerri, a big ruckman, is just the foil we need for our high end midfield. We need an enforcer player and if he's our ruckman, all the better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back