2022 Bathurst 1000

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been a couple of times - it's highly recommended.

They have Flying Days about every 2 months. Most of their aircraft collection is in flying condition, and they get them all airborne. It's not as big as Warbirds, which draws historic aircraft from everywhere, but it's still well worth seeing.

Maintaining all those aircraft in flying condition is horrendously expensive. It's all paid for by David Lowy, the son of Frank Lowy, who owns Westfield.

The Lowy family are out of Westfield:
'Four years after Westfield co-founder Sir Frank Lowy made one of the most prescient deals in Australian corporate history when he began to sell out of shopping centres with the $US25bn ($35bn) takeover by Unibail-Rodamco, there is little trace left in financial terms of a seven decade connection with Australia.

As Sir Frank enjoys retirement in Tel Aviv, about $10bn held in the Lowy Financial Group is now managed from New York by his eldest son David Lowy. From a downtown office boasting views of the Hudson River looking west towards New Jersey, LFG is effectively a boutique funds manager that is long on concentrated global equities with some international technology company holdings and stakes in listed and private real estate.'

Well deserved credit for Temora to David Lowy. His gift to those of us who share his passion.

Yes, we need to get back to Bathurst.

I'd also add that Temora is 250km from Bathurst, so "hitting" Temora on a trip to Bathurst probably isn't viable.

The point is that both are major outdoor activities, with large crowds, with similar weather & ground conditions forecast. The people at the Temora Aviation Museum have already cancelled their big event. I can't see Bathurst being stopped, but I can see large areas being closed to the public, on safety grounds.

On the way back to Melbourne was the failed plan last time. Just a perve.

It's a safety issue. They won't have any choice.

Where people will park, and what alternative camping arrangements are, I have no idea. I'm actually surprised that an announcement hasn't already been made, given that Temora has already made the call over Warbirds.
Oh I don't disagree, more just pointing out there's a lot to consider.

I'm also surprised tbh. They're leaving it bloody late.

Think we'll still get a race, expect it'll be a slow one though.

10am start would be good, finish around 4pm and then watch the F1’s.
Race record is 6:02 which was on dry track and minimal SCs, with the forecast this race will by closer to 7 hrs.
Only way to get around it is to push the race back by a week. Maybe fox will pressure them into it next year with the uptick in F1 support.
Suzukas a nice track but doesn't hold a candle to Mt Panorama, modern F1 cars are too wide to make it interesting.

Race record is 6:02 which was on dry track and minimal SCs, with the forecast this race will by closer to 7 hrs.
Only way to get around it is to push the race back by a week. Maybe fox will pressure them into it next year with the uptick in F1 support.
Suzukas a nice track but doesn't hold a candle to Mt Panorama, modern F1 cars are too wide to make it interesting.
Might be well over 7 hours if they're running wets all day, with the occasional SC intervention to slow things further.

Almost certain to finish as a "time certain" race, rather than 1000km, if the start time isn't moved forwards by 30 minutes (preferably an hour).

When was the last time we had a really wet race? As distinct from races where they've had a short shower which sent them to wets for a while, before going back to slicks?

Might be well over 7 hours if they're running wets all day, with the occasional SC intervention to slow things further.

Almost certain to finish as a "time certain" race, rather than 1000km, if the start time isn't moved forwards by 30 minutes (preferably an hour).

When was the last time we had a really wet race? As distinct from races where they've had a short shower which sent them to wets for a while, before going back to slicks?
2000 and 2017 are probably the only ones this century.
There was 2007 but it only started raining with 20 laps to go.
2017 was a humdinger, up there with 2014 as the best ever race.

No time certain finish for Bathurst, only race that isn’t. Unless they’ve changed that rule.

I'd also add that Temora is 250km from Bathurst, so "hitting" Temora on a trip to Bathurst probably isn't viable.

The point is that both are major outdoor activities, with large crowds, with similar weather & ground conditions forecast. The people at the Temora Aviation Museum have already cancelled their big event. I can't see Bathurst being stopped, but I can see large areas being closed to the public, on safety grounds.
Temora AirShow doesn’t have a big, big TV contract to consider.
And that’s why Bathurst will never be cancelled.
Waiting for the rule change that allows 2 Laps behind the safety car to be considered a “race”!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Temora AirShow doesn’t have a big, big TV contract to consider.
And that’s why Bathurst will never be cancelled.
Waiting for the rule change that allows 2 Laps behind the safety car to be considered a “race”!
Nowhere have I suggested that the race itself would be cancelled.

What I have said is that many of the parking & camping areas may be deemed unsafe, and thus unusable. This will impact the spectators who go to watch the race - but the race itself will definitely proceed.

Watching some historical highlights of the top 10 shoot-out laps, good reminder Mark Larkham was no slouch behind the wheel, I actually recall he was very stiff not to get on the podium with Brad Jones in 1997...

Murph finally beat his 2003 lap of the gods, which was in an H-pattern gearbox and had him accidentally upshifting to 5th at the dipper.
Just shows how out of this world the lap was at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back