Prediction 2022 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know it's sacrilege to ask, but why is Mundy a shoe in? We may not see his mix of strength and skill again at this club for some time, but those legs are tiring and he applies less defensive pressure than an Argentinian soldier stationed on the Falklands.
I hope this year is the year he is pushed out by guys that may never be close to as good as Mundy but who are part of a future premiership team that he unfortunately won't be.
Mundy came second in Fremantle's F and B, had the most Brownlow votes for the Dockers and in is in the leadership group.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mundy came second in Fremantle's F and B, had the most Brownlow votes for the Dockers and in is in the leadership group.
Yep amazing season. We need some young guys to come along and push him out if we are going to have three top four finishes by 2025, as the club has promised

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
I know it's sacrilege to ask, but why is Mundy a shoe in? We may not see his mix of strength and skill again at this club for some time, but those legs are tiring and he applies less defensive pressure than an Argentinian soldier stationed on the Falklands.
I hope this year is the year he is pushed out by guys that may never be close to as good as Mundy but who are part of a future premiership team that he unfortunately won't be.
He's also very valuable for the kids to play with and learn off, really hope Johnson gets to play with him a few times this year.

I bet the mob down the road are in his ear about a coaching role after he retires, god I hope we are too

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
My crack at what we might look like in Round 1.

B: Logue Pearce Ryan
HB: Clark Cox Young
C: Aish Fyfe Tucker
HF: Sturt Treacy Lobb
FF: Schultz Taberner Switkowski
R/Fol: Darcy Brayshaw Serong

I: Mundy, Chapman, Frederick, Walters

Key players not included who might stake a claim;
Hamling - if fit could replace Pearce/Cox/Logue if they have any issues or he gets back to his best
Hughes - hard to find a spot for him despite him being a bit of a constant the past few years, his durability may see him in there yet but I have Chapman taking the 7th defender spot
Henry - could take a wing spot if his fitness is up, or one of the small forward/HF roles
Colyer - the need for speed could see Colyer in this team, particularly if Switta isn't there
Erasmus/Johnson - if Sturt doesn't get there they could stake a claim as a medium forward
Amiss - would probably tip the team balance too far, unless one of Tabs/Lobb doesn't make it to R1 or he goes past Treacy
It's very early days but I'm very optimistic about Freddy being a big inclusion on the wing and half forward. Early days for Erasmus but he already seems to stand out. I agree about how Logue and Chapman can both be in defence as they can play on smalls. Logue in my opinion is our best defender on quick smalls. clark I thing will be wing and defence while Tucker could be a big surprise packet on the wing if he gets through the preseason for the the first time in ages. Cox to rotate forward a bit is also my tip when anyone of Tabs, Lobb or Treacy are off the ground.
B: Ryan, A.Pearce, Logue
HB: Young, Cox, Walker
C: Freddy Fyfe Clark
HF: Erasmus Tabs Walters
FF: Swita Lobb, Treacy
R: Darcy Brayshaw, Serong
I/C Mundy, Tucker, Chapman, Aish

Last edited:

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Gee Adelaide would have to be in a bad spot if Frampton is playing, can't think of a worse tall player in the AFL at the moment

Huh?

He's failed as a forward but he went back to the SANFL and dominated as a KPD, then played as a KPD for the seniors and more than held his own.

Won't be a Darcy Moore type, but my guess is that he'll be more than serviceable going into next year.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Huh?

He's failed as a forward but he went back to the SANFL and dominated as a KPD, then played as a KPD for the seniors and more than held his own.

Won't be a Darcy Moore type, but my guess is that he'll be more than serviceable going into next year.
How do you see your round 1 best 22 shaping up, and your season generally?

We're probably looking at that game as a fair shot at a valuable away win; is that overly optimistic, or reasonable?

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Everybody is a wrong about our best 22 including me.

We have got to the point where players need to play amazing to stay in the team.

Hamling, Pearce, Cox. Logue and Chapman can't all play in the same team.

Ryan, Clarke and Young are best 22. Hughes, Walker and Wilson all deserve a spot but one or two or three will miss out.

11 doesn't fit into 7 defender spots. 4 very solid players will miss out.

Talls are pretty settled with Darcy, Taberner and Lobb. Amiss and Treacy fight out for one spot.

Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw and Serong are shoe ins for the middle. Aish, Brodie, Valente, Tucker, O'Discoll, and Johnson all fighting for the wings and secondary midfield. Walters, Henry, Switta, Frederick and Erasmus can fight for midfield minutes.

Small and general forwards nobody is a no brain pick except Walters. Shultz, Colyer, Henry, Switta, Western, Frederick, Erasmus, and Sturt are contenting for 3 or 4 possible spots.

My Best 22 that I would pick and happy to change with preseason form.

Defenders 7 sots
Hamling, Pearce, Cox, Logue, Ryan, Clarke and Young.

Yes we top heavy but Logue, Pearce and Hamling can play on smalls.

Possible not enough run and carry for the back half.

Walker and Chapman can play at Peel and develop. Wilson is extremely lucky and I am a fan of his offensive output from the back half.

Wouldn't mind a rotation and play horses for courses.

Ruck, and Key Forwards 4 spots

Pick Darcy, Taberner and Lobb IF FIT. Maybe Treacy over Amiss because of experience.

Midfielders and Forwards 11 spots

Fyfe, Mundy, Serong, Brayshaw and Walters are no brainers for me.

That's leaves 6 spots. Flexible is the key. That's where get our bottom 7 players. 3 or 4 players need to play wing.

Swiita clearly is rated by the club according to B & F. He gets a spot. Plays midfields at times.
Shultz kick 10% of Fremantle goals. He gets a spot.
Aish can play back or on a wing. He gets a spot.
Henry can play wing and forward. Just gets a spot.
Tucker injured last year and his 2020 season was pretty good. Time to step up.
Erasmus can play the medium forward role.

Massively lucky
Johnson greats skills and fill the Cerra role. Could play a wing
Colver great last year and only age was a factor
Frederick I'm a fan and his closing space is outstanding.
Agree mostly, however I’d have Chapman well ahead of Clark at this stage. Certainly wouldn’t have Clark as a guaranteed B22 yet.
Also for me Treacy plays every AFL game he is available for.
I think by the end of the season both these guys will be in that certain B22 group where it’s unthinkable they play for peel unless coming back from a long term injury.
At the moment, that group consists of the likes of Fyfe, Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong, Tabs, Ryan, Mundy and probably Walters and one or two others. None of these guys have pulled on a Peel jumper in years/ever because they are just too good for that level.
Chapman and Treacy will be in that set of players by the bye IMO. Hayden Young too if he gets a clear run at it.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree mostly, however I’d have Chapman well ahead of Clark at this stage. Certainly wouldn’t have Clark as a guaranteed B22 yet.
Also for me Treacy plays every AFL game he is available for.
I think by the end of the season both these guys will be in that certain B22 group where it’s unthinkable they play for peel unless coming back from a long term injury.
At the moment, that group consists of the likes of Fyfe, Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong, Tabs, Ryan, Mundy and probably Walters and one or two others. None of these guys have pulled on a Peel jumper in years/ever because they are just too good for that level.
Chapman and Treacy will be in that set of players by the bye IMO. Hayden Young too if he gets a clear run at it.
Best 22 isn't best 22 players.

Chapman isn't competing with Clarke but with Hamling, Pearce, Cox, Logue and maybe with Ryan, Hughes and Young.

Clarke is completing with Wilson and Walker.

Wray27

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
yes, according to the paper. the paper also indicates that he seems to follow brayshaw around like a lost dog at training
Not quite in the training I’ve watched. He and Johnson are paired up for a lot of drills and are pretty good mates because if the Subi connection. Both those boys appear to be soaking up everything they see and hear.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Not quite in the training I’ve watched. He and Johnson are paired up for a lot of drills and are pretty good mates because if the Subi connection. Both those boys appear to be soaking up everything they see and hear.
Both sound super motivated and professional. They will fast track themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dayts

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

Hamling - if fit could replace Pearce/Cox/Logue if they have any issues or he gets back to his best
Hughes - hard to find a spot for him despite him being a bit of a constant the past few years, his durability may see him in there yet but I have Chapman taking the 7th defender spot
Henry - could take a wing spot if his fitness is up, or one of the small forward/HF roles
Colyer - the need for speed could see Colyer in this team, particularly if Switta isn't there
Erasmus/Johnson - if Sturt doesn't get there they could stake a claim as a medium forward
Amiss - would probably tip the team balance too far, unless one of Tabs/Lobb doesn't make it to R1 or he goes past Treacy
Spot on this! Identical so no point to post!
Sturt really the one who can add some X factor to the 50.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd

Great team. Forward half looks to be the weakest. Next year we really need to upgrade our forward pockets.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Great team. Forward half looks to be the weakest. Next year we really need to upgrade our forward pockets.
Probably the easiest list management thing to do isn't it? I mean, if your "to do" list is "small forward" and you have a first rounder, or say someone like Cerra, Langdon or Next want to go home, I think you can find a decent option.

ubiquitous226

All Australian
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Probably the easiest list management thing to do isn't it? I mean, if your "to do" list is "small forward" and you have a first rounder, or say someone like Cerra, Langdon or Next want to go home, I think you can find a decent option.

And they tend to be able to impact straight away in a decent team.
It's why they were always lower priority for this draft for me, although it will be interesting watching Rachele.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Yes, and No.

The good ones are hard to find, and only come around every 2 or 3 years.

They are easier to get than a key forward I guess

You're a junior coach. You've got some players who are explosive, clean below their knees, creative and skilled. You also want to win games. So you put that player in the midfield and you do win.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the really good small/medium forwards are quite handy midfielders. Arguably they inject more into the game in the middle than they do forward.

ubiquitous226

All Australian
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
You're a junior coach. You've got some players who are explosive, clean below their knees, creative and skilled. You also want to win games. So you put that player in the midfield and you do win.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the really good small/medium forwards are quite handy midfielders. Arguably they inject more into the game in the middle than they do forward.

Yeah the ones that tend to stick in the forward line in AFL usually have a mix of elite goal sense, great understanding of forward structure and below average endurance and/or contested skills.
Otherwise their skills are usually better utilised in the midfield, even take a player like Walters who was a great forward, he was arguably even better in the midfield.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Yep amazing season. We need some young guys to come along and push him out if we are going to have three top four finishes by 2025, as the club has promised
"IF" they are good enough they will. But don't hold your breath, as he is still as good as any we had last year.
He will be on a timetable for games.
He is needed there on the ground for a mentor role for the young kids.
Players like Brayshaw, Serong , Ryan, Cox, etc will be vital to be part of the teaching group as well. As will Fyfe.
Every class needs a teacher or two.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Yes, and No.

The good ones are hard to find, and only come around every 2 or 3 years.

They are easier to get than a key forward I guess
Better to take a broad view of how to make a forward line potent then. I think we have some forward resources to structure and develop. No point just grabbing a small forward ahead of a better option (say Motlop instead of Johnson). Same goes for next year.

In a balanced forward line I think we need 1 or perhaps 2 small forwards and we currently have multiple options.

Walters Taberner/Amiss Lobb/Benning
Sturt/Erasmus Treacy *

*Schultz/Switkowski/Colyer/Western/Henry

That's a crowd in anyone's terms.

I would only be interested in a small forward who is a substantial upgrade on them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back