B: Logue - Pearce - Ryan
HB: Young - Cox - Walker
C: Fredrick - Brayshaw - Henry
HF: Switkowski - Tabs - Walters
FF: Lobb - Treacy - Schultz

Ruck: Darcy - Fyfe - Cerra
Bench: Chapman - Mundy - Serong - Aish

Unlucky/Next Up: Sturt, Crowden, Valente, Hamling, Hughes

Backline is set up for the next 5-8 seasons with Pearce being the oldest at 26. Pearce and Cox have all the makings of an outstanding FB/CHB duo if they can stay healthy. Logue fills the key role of covering both smalls & talls where needed which frees up Luke Ryan to do Luke Ryan things and run the backline. Walker covers the smalls whilst providing dash off halfback and Young is just exceptional (also needs to stay healthy :'()

Midfield was a strength this season and should only get stronger with the younger generation developing bigger bodies and gaining more experience at this level. Fyfe & Mundy lead the old-guard with Brayshaw, Serong and Cerra hopefully taking that final step. Fredrick and Henry on the wing offers us genuine pace and class that we dreamed the Hills could of been. Through in Walters and Switta to rotate between Wing/HFF & Forward Pocket and that's a variety of problems to throw at any team. Oh and I don't have to mention Darcy do I? He's a monster and only 23.

Forward line, the bane of our existence. Taberner playing true CHF plays to his strengths and gives us a three pronged outlet with himself, Darcy and Fyfe to kick to if we need a contest. He can also rotate with Treacy if the matchup's better or to get one of them into the game. Treacy plays the 2nd tall to Lobb in the Forward Fifty. If they end up giving Lobb then 3rd defender instead, just play him out of the goal square (and don't kick it to his feet/knees FFS). Darcy and Lobb rotates when needed, but that's expected. Schultz as our primary small forward next to who ever is resting out of Switta/Fredrick/Walters/Henry to round it out.

Mundy and Serong start on the bench but honestly switch them with any mid based on form/injury/matchup. Aish covers backline and midfield depth also. Chapman there for Key Defender rotations (also the reason why Cox is fielded over Hamling. If say Lobb or Tabs goes down we can swing him forward, throw Chapman in to the back and reshuffle).

Would love to see Sturt, Crowden or Valente force their way into the team where possible since they've all shown something. Exciting times ahead if we've given a fair run with injuries 🤞

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Too much to ask???

Defenders:
Pearce
Hamling
Cox
Logue
Young
Wilson
Ryan
Chapman
Hughes
Walker
Aish

Rucks:
Darcy
Meek
Benning
Cripps

Midfielders:
Serong
Brayshaw
Mundy
Tucker
Fyfe
Fredrick
O'Driscoll
Valente
Western
Crowden
Banfield
Blakely
Acres
Tunstill

Forwards:
Walters
Henry
Schultz
Lobb
Switta
Colyer
Sturt
Treacy
Taberner
Van Rooyen
Amiss
Hough
Motlop

Last edited:

Sean_09

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2009
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Geez mate what are you smokin. Hamlin if fit is first pick. Remember the bullies last GF where he stitches up Franklin the guy is a jet how soon we forget
Love Hamling but he's not first picked in this team, not even in the backline. Man's played 1 game over the last two years and coming off a major ankle injury. Him and Pearce play a similar role, but he lack's Pearce's size and pace. Could argue he can replace Logue instead but I prefer Logue's versatility to play on all sizes. Also that Grand Final was 5 years ago mate and he's not the up and coming 22-23yr old star defender of yesterday in a premiership team. 29 next year with a massive amount of time out of the game.

But hey if that's the only thing you can pick out so be it, it's a great spot for our backline depth (unless they're all injured like this season again...)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Love Hamling but he's not first picked in this team, not even in the backline. Man's played 1 game over the last two years and coming off a major ankle injury. Him and Pearce play a similar role, but he lack's Pearce's size and pace. Could argue he can replace Logue instead but I prefer Logue's versatility to play on all sizes. Also that Grand Final was 5 years ago mate and he's not the up and coming 22-23yr old star defender of yesterday in a premiership team. 29 next year with a massive amount of time out of the game.

But hey if that's the only thing you can pick out so be it, it's a great spot for our backline depth (unless they're all injured like this season again...)
I can understand your thinking, but we also delisted Duman and Watson indicating confidence in the health of our defensive stocks.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can understand your thinking, but we also delisted Duman and Watson indicating confidence in the health of our defensive stocks.

I see that as purely a list management decision. No one in their right mind could have confidence in our injury luck and management.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I see that as purely a list management decision. No one in their right mind could have confidence in our injury luck and management.
Certainly not if they delist 2 players who are rarely injured, and retain the others. Luck? I'm not seeing it.

Bell has overseen the review of s&c which he is ultimately in charge of. Personally I won't accept injuries as a valid 2022 mitigating factor regardless.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Certainly not if they delist 2 players who are rarely injured, and retain the others. Luck? I'm not seeing it.

Bell has overseen the review of s&c which he is ultimately in charge of. Personally I won't accept injuries as a valid 2022 mitigating factor regardless.

Good for you. I won't accept mismanagement of injuries but bad luck is totally unreasonable to blame any individual for.

freo99

Team Captain
Jan 22, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
I cannot understand delisting both of them, to me it makes no sense both of them can make blues

Watson can play half forward as well, both pretty decent kicks.
Neither of them will be stars but they are both good depth and a good size and very handy
as a subs.

s_wd6

Senior List
Oct 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I cannot understand delisting both of them, to me it makes no sense both of them can make blues

Watson can play half forward as well, both pretty decent kicks.
Neither of them will be stars but they are both good depth and a good size and very handy
as a subs.
knew duman was a certainty for delisting when tobe started getting games over him. but tobe was pretty good depth and with a backline where pearce, hamling, logue, cox, young all have a history of injury it makes no sense to get rid of him

kp junior

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
We say this every season… We’re clearly behind this year’s squad based off losing Cerra alone. Improvement from enough of the squad could change that but that’s only an assumption at this stage.

For me, I won’t even try until just before Christmas (see how trade period goes, players coming back to PS injured etc.) but the issues I have with picking the team is:
1. There’s too many defenders to pick from.
2. If I was to pick now I’d want to put someone like Clark into the team. Bar Aish, others on our list performing as a winger for a full game is a pipe dream at this stage.
3. Too many HFFs and not enough genuine forwards.
4. Whilst the best 22 inside mids look okay I do find it slightly concerning I’m picking a best 22 then I’m left with guys who haven’t played an AFL game and/or haven’t played as an inside mid. Surely we should have one as an emergency if we have ‘good depth’.
Yeah I was joking. Every preseason we have the best depth ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards

Ah. Hamling is easily first picked. Frees up Ryan, allows Logue to perhaps go foward or even Cox. He’s way too valuable to just leave out of the team.

FreoRicci

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Hughes is in for Watson, and Chapman for Duman. Plus Cox and Hamling fit. Wilson and Aish as well.
But indeed it’s a big backing of suddenly them being fit. Duman would’ve made a good winger tbh. Has good pace and tank. Always thought he was pigeonholed as a half back. Should at least trail these players wherever possible.
But I mean Tucker is a lock in half back, for whatever reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GeEkNeRd

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nathan O'Driscoll was drafted as a future midfielder. What kind would he likely be... an inside mid? Could he be a similar player to say, Clayton Oliver?

Joao

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nathan O'Driscoll was drafted as a future midfielder. What kind would he likely be... an inside mid? Could he be a similar player to say, Clayton Oliver?
Seriously has every trait Danger had as kid.

Burst
Size
Good Overhead
Played half back as a junior
Ferocious at the contest
Suspect but long kick

At least according to his draft profile.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Good for you. I won't accept mismanagement of injuries but bad luck is totally unreasonable to blame any individual for.
Good for you. All clubs have to list manage. Geelong lose Stewart, and get their assets whipped. Bad luck? I don't think so. Bad list management, and some ordinary coaching.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Chuckled at the line "Teams desperate for genuine wingers". And there's Benjamin Button lining up, pipping Frederick and Henry. .
Understand that. Like Frederick forward though and not sure if Henry offers enough yet to warrant that spot. We’ve rotated inside kids on the wing all year and that’s all the Mindy spot is identifying.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Understand that. Like Frederick forward though and not sure if Henry offers enough yet to warrant that spot. We’ve rotated inside kids on the wing all year and that’s all the Mindy spot is identifying.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah it would be a big step up for those lads. But they could share a wing next year and rotate forward.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seriously has every trait Danger had as kid.

Burst
Size
Good Overhead
Played half back as a junior
Ferocious at the contest
Suspect but long kick

At least according to his draft profile.
For me the big difference with O'Driscoll and say a Dangerfield or a Dusty Martin is that he is more of a "loper" than a power runner. As an example, look at the difference between the way Liam Henry attacks a contest compared to Kysiah Picket (or even Travis Colyer) - Liam is fast, but he doesn't have that real power acceleration of the others. I see NOD as more of an Isaac Smith type of long striding, long kicking mid - maybe more outside than inside.

May be way off the mark, but that's "the vibe" I get from him.

Ysaye

Premiership Player
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
For me the big difference with O'Driscoll and say a Dangerfield or a Dusty Martin is that he is more of a "loper" than a power runner. As an example, look at the difference between the way Liam Henry attacks a contest compared to Kysiah Picket (or even Travis Colyer) - Liam is fast, but he doesn't have that real power acceleration of the others. I see NOD as more of an Isaac Smith type of long striding, long kicking mid - maybe more outside than inside.

May be way off the mark, but that's "the vibe" I get from him.
TBH I don't know what you are talking about; O'Driscoll hit contests in the WAFL seniors very hard the year before (it was one of his features) and whilst it was not that evident in his WAFL games this year I have no doubt as he regains strength after injury and adds some weight he will be back to that.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
TBH I don't know what you are talking about; O'Driscoll hit contests in the WAFL seniors very hard the year before (it was one of his features) and whilst it was not that evident in his WAFL games this year I have no doubt as he regains strength after injury and adds some weight he will be back to that.
Quite possibly so, I have only watched him this year.

Which is why I qualified my post - read the last sentence.

Joao

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I had read he went hard at the contest but the only time I have actually seen him play was those early Peel games where he looked WAFL reserve level and could barely pick up the ball.

I just hope the pre-draft descriptions were accurate. Then as long as he can put on some size he'll be a beast.

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
knew duman was a certainty for delisting when tobe started getting games over him. but tobe was pretty good depth and with a backline where pearce, hamling, logue, cox, young all have a history of injury it makes no sense to get rid of him
We've also got walker, hughes, chapman, wilson, aish to fill those spots. We are pretty alright for defenders TBH.

wahooo

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Putting together a 22 is an absolute nightmare, there's just too many defenders to fit in. Feel Hamling has been largely under rated due to a long stint on the sidelines but who knows what form he will return in. That being said I'm just kinda ignoring his existence to make it easier to pick a 22.

Making a bold call and assuming Clark will come over because I can't stand the idea of naming Acres, Henry or Freddy on a wing. Henry and Freddy definitely have the potential to go through there but I want to see a bit more first.

FB: Ryan, Pearce, Hughes

HB: Young, Cox, Logue

C: Aish, Fyfe, Clark

HF: Walters, Tabs, Switta

F: Schultz, Lobb, Treacy

R: Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong

INT: Mundy, Chapman, Freddy, Colyer

Unlucky: Hamling, Tucker, Henry, Walker and Wilson (could genuinely make great arguments to include all of them).

I realise Hughes is controversial. I love his ability to play big or small, his physicality and reckon he's alright on the rebound (disposal can let him down). I see this as a spot that Walker/Wilson could easily steal from him. Hamling even if JL goes tall, it's easy to forget that he goes okay on smalls too.

Really like the idea of having Ryan, Young and Cox down back with Chappy rotating through, just feels like an intercept marking machine.

Have seen a lot of 22s naming Walker/Freddy/Henry all in the one side. Would think such a situation only arises when we're inevitably depleted by injuries in round 3. Think we likely start the year with more experienced names and ultimately that our best 22 currently includes those experienced names.

I just hope the younger brigade can really provide some pressure for spots next year, have all shown glimpses.

wakojako

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is my midfield and forwardine if we draft Erasmus:

Midfield
Brashaw Serong Erasmus
Mundy Darcy O'Driscoll

Wingers: Clark, Freddy

Forward
Switta Fyfe Motlop