Prediction 2022 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

These best 22 discussions are really interesting going forward. I reckon this week is one of the first under JL where he has 26 or so to choose from, including a full set of defenders if you assume Hamling is no longer part of the conversation, and all our wing options. I agree that offensively we will be at our best if Chapman plays at half back and Logue plays forward.

Chappy provides a different speedy rebound - accurate kicking through the middle to open it all up. Wilson and Walkers pace is nice and definitely one of them is needed but Chappy is the main reason our turnover / rebound game was best in league up to round 8. He’s also better defensively, might be a small decrease in speed but easily better overall IMO
We've never tried Chappy and Willo together though. Remember how Walker improves Young's game and Willo improves Clark's game? Well now that we have them at their best, if we can fit Chappy in the mix our defence could become even better than what it was early in the year.

We've never tried Chappy and Willo together though. Remember how Walker improves Young's game and Willo improves Clark's game? Well now that we have them at their best, if we can fit Chappy in the mix our defence could become even better than what it was early in the year.
Only so many backline spots to go around, one of them needs to come out or one of them needs to go wing

The interesting piece for team balance is who takes the dangerous small forward in a more lockdown role when required.
Sydney have Papley, Melbourne have Pickett, Bulldogs have Weightman.

Wilson vs Walker will be the discussion you'd think, but they're not going to want to swap between the two repeatedly, so those sort of matchups may decide who gets the nod.

Very keen to rotate a few players in and out of the side to ensure we are fresh for finals.

There must be a few players carrying a niggle, and week off would help. Don't think we do this enough, and with our current injury list there is no reason not to.

Trigger GIF by MOODMAN

At least everyone knows how to spell Fife

Wait Pearce isn't back?
Well if you're doing that swap, how are you fitting Pearce in because Pearce coming in replaces Logue down back. You cant play all of Wilson, Walker and Chappy without cutting (or moving) one of Pearce, Cox, Ryan, Clark or Young. I'd personally put Chappy with the those 5 as clear cut best 6 defenders, with the caveat being Logue depending on match-ups.

Well if you're doing that swap, how are you fitting Pearce in because Pearce coming in replaces Logue down back. You cant play all of Wilson, Walker and Chappy without cutting (or moving) one of Pearce, Cox, Ryan, Clark or Young. I'd personally put Chappy with the those 5 as clear cut best 6 defenders, with the caveat being Logue depending on match-ups.
True, Wilson will need to go on a wing or get cut

Only so many backline spots to go around, one of them needs to come out or one of them needs to go wing
Some of our best players are in the backline and a few of them seem to have credentials that could transition to wing. They may not get them ahead of Acres but they could get them ahead of Hughes.

I also think there is an option for a natural rotation for running defenders and defensive minded wingers that will keep them refreshed and dangerous.

Walker or Wilson could easily be relegated to the wafl this game. Logue is discussed as a trade option, although his recent transition to a forward option has changed that conversation.

Some of our best players are in the backline and a few of them seem to have credentials that could transition to wing. They may not get them ahead of Acres but they could get them ahead of Hughes.

I also think there is an option for a natural rotation for running defenders and defensive minded wingers that will keep them refreshed and dangerous.

Walker or Wilson could easily be relegated to the wafl this game. Logue is discussed as a trade option, although his recent transition to a forward option has changed that conversation.
Such a tough call over the coming weeks to try settle in the back 7 for some continuity before finals. Think with Chappy making his return, and I agree with others above that there is a sure thing back 6 in Pearce, Ryan, Cox, Young, Clark and Chappy, that the final spot is between Walker and Wilson.

Walker obviously has the winning touch for us, doesn't do too much himself but the backline feels balanced when he is in there. He also is great defensively locking down on the dangerous smalls. Doesn't open the game up much from rebound but is fairly handy when he puts the jets on he can really create, being so young the upside in him is something we all want to nurture.

Wilson has a much better rebound game, more penetrating kick, inclined to take the riskier option and a lot less fumbly then Walker. Historically has been poor defensively but his two games this year he's been decent enough in the contest although he hasn't had to match up on the dangerous smalls just yet.

Come finals time when the pressure turns right up, you could be leaning towards Wilson due to the experience in him and the ability to open the game up from the back half, but if the backline is under the pump I think you would much prefer Walker just locking down a Charlie Cameron/Papley/Pickett type and letting our other elite rebounders go to work.

For me, in clubland you can never be solely focused on just the now (until grand final day). Walker may be fumbly now, but another 10/20/50 games in, having had finals experience under his belt, I think he is the prime small defender who can bounce from the back half when called into it. Would be keeping with the youth in Walker this week and beyond and keep Wilson in the two's nipping at his heels to get back in. Always great to have experienced depth ready to call upon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a tough call over the coming weeks to try settle in the back 7 for some continuity before finals. Think with Chappy making his return, and I agree with others above that there is a sure thing back 6 in Pearce, Ryan, Cox, Young, Clark and Chappy, that the final spot is between Walker and Wilson.
They are the preferred back 6 while Logue is forward. That's working for us but it isn't locked in stone.

They are the preferred back 6 while Logue is forward. That's working for us but it isn't locked in stone.
While I agree it's not locked in stone, I think the fact Logue ended up being shifted forward is showing you that they are the preferred back 6 and Logue is not. I see it more as Logue wasn't pulled from the backline to improve the forward line, it was more not making the cut in the backline group balance, but still playing well enough as a best 22 player that a role needed to be found for him.

All things perfect (no injuries), Logue next year is a forward who is swung back against only two teams, Carlton and Geelong, only if Curnow or Cameron are playing. Least that's how I see it! :)

While I agree it's not locked in stone, I think the fact Logue ended up being shifted forward is showing you that they are the preferred back 6 and Logue is not. I see it more as Logue wasn't pulled from the backline to improve the forward line, it was more not making the cut in the backline group balance, but still playing well enough as a best 22 player that a role needed to be found for him.

All things perfect (no injuries), Logue next year is a forward who is swung back against only two teams, Carlton and Geelong, only if Curnow or Cameron are playing. Least that's how I see it! :)

Logues role will heavily depend on Pearce's fitness and availability. Highly unlikely that Pearce can go through a full season uninjured.

Our forward line is a work in progress. I don't assume he is in our best forward set up. Early days.

Our forward line is a work in progress. I don't assume he is in our best forward set up. Early days.
Agree, right now he’s better than Treacy, Amiss, Sturt or Banfield as the 3rd tall/medium forward. This won’t always be the case but the fact he can switch back at 15mins notice like he did on the weekend is invaluable to the team.

Agree, right now he’s better than Treacy, Amiss, Sturt or Banfield as the 3rd tall/medium forward. This won’t always be the case but the fact he can switch back at 15mins notice like he did on the weekend is invaluable to the team.
Oh yeah I'm not being anti-Logue at all. A function of depth is some players miss out and some leave.

Wilson has been considered a delist for much of this season yet just rolled and put a couple of great games on the table. Another example is Hughes who was really important to us over the last couple of seasons. Enough to earn himself a decent contract extension, but struggling to get a game now. Crowden. Meek.

What would a best 22 without Mundy and Walters look like?
Reckon we have been carrying them both in the past month - and they just don't provide the defensive pressure needed.

Ryan Pearce Walker
Clark Cox Young.
Acres Brayshaw Aish.
Logue Fyfe Freddy
Lobb Tabs Switta.

Darcy. Serong Brodie.

Chappy, Noddy, Treacy, Shultz

Reckon we have been carrying them both in the past month - and they just don't provide the defensive pressure needed.

Ryan Pearce Walker
Clark Cox Young.
Acres Brayshaw Aish.
Logue Fyfe Freddy
Lobb Tabs Switta.

Darcy. Serong Brodie.

Fyfe is not there for the next 2-4 weeks

Ryan Pearce Walker
Clark Cox Young.
Acres Brayshaw Aish.
Logue Fyfe Freddy
Lobb Tabs Switta.

Darcy. Serong Brodie.

I think that's top heavy in the forward line, and that's even before you've got Treacy on the bench.
I'd be swapping out Treacy for Erasmus in that team (assuming Mundy/Walters out as stated).

Noddy needs some time to prove he can back to the form he was showing pre-injury, it's what his second year?

In terms of addressing the premise, I think Mundy and Walters both offer things to the team, they just aren't at the peak of what they were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back