For now:

FB Ryan Hamling Pearce
HB Young Cox Aish
C Frederick Valente Chapman
R Darcy Mundy Brayshaw
HF Henry Fyfe Colyer
FF Schultz Taberner Treacy
IC Serong Logue Switkowski Walker

Will have another go when pre-season starts.

Last edited:
For now:

FB Ryan Hamling Pearce
HB Young Cox Aish
R Darcy Mundy Brayshaw
HF Henry Fyfe Colyer
IC Mundy Logue Switkowski Walker

No Lobb?

For now:

FB Ryan Hamling Pearce
HB Young Cox Aish
R Darcy Mundy Brayshaw
HF Henry Fyfe Colyer
IC Mundy Logue Switkowski Walker

Caleb Serong getting traded?

For now:

FB Ryan Hamling Pearce
HB Young Cox Aish
R Darcy Mundy Brayshaw
HF Henry Fyfe Colyer
IC Serong Logue Switkowski Walker

Haha, Neale is going to be there and you know it

Freo

Ryan - Pearce - Logue
Young - Cox - Walker
Clark - Serong - Switta
Walters - Fyfe - Sturt
Schultz - Tabs - English

Darcy - Brayshaw - Neale

Mundy - Coyler - Freddy - Eramus

Peel

xxxx - Hamling -xxxx
Wilson - Hughes - Chappy
Henry - Valente - Western
Crowden - JVR - Motlop
Treacy - Amiss - xxxx

Meek - Tucker - O'Driscoll

Freo

Ryan - Pearce - Logue
Young - Cox - Walker
Clark - Serong - Switta
Walters - Fyfe - Sturt
Schultz - Tabs - English

Darcy - Brayshaw - Neale

Mundy - Coyler - Freddy - Eramus

Peel

xxxx - Hamling -xxxx
Wilson - Hughes - Chappy
Henry - Valente - Western
Crowden - JVR - Motlop
Treacy - Amiss - xxxx

Meek - Tucker - O'Driscoll

Haha - very very optimistic even with Lobb going I think!!

Interesting time of year to consider the "Best" 22 and the rest but what the heck:

Defence:

1. Key Defender 1: Alex Pearce
- Our best lockdown defender bar no one, has the size, speed and positioning to beat talls and smalls. Only issue is fitness, but seems to be back fit and going. I had written him off with fitness concerns early in the season but he seems to have defied me again, so hats of for perseverance.
2. Key Defender 2: Griffin Logue - My second preference to put on a tall, again has the speed to get separation, fierce attack and also has a booming kick that can be useful. Still has development to come and I think will be the best of the lot long term.
3. General Defender: Luke Ryan - probably one of the best in the business, good on smalls and medium forwards but can play tall as well. Also provides significant attack with his kicking.
4. Half Back Flank 1: Hayden Young - Our primary quality half back flank even after only a small number of games, brilliant attacking kick and reasonable defender with good positioning. May move into the midfield next season and I would be pretty supportive of that, but I think for now I will still have him here.
5. Half Back Flank 2: Brandon Walker - Probably the first surprise in the list but the support from Longmuir through to the end of the season despite being not as seasoned as the other options says a lot. As well as being a developing defensive option, provides heaps of dash and attacking skill off the half back flank. The other options here were James Aish and Nathan Wilson, but I have Aish on the wing and Wilson in the twilight zone.
6. Centre Half Back: Brennan Cox - Although he doesn't have the speed of Pearce or Logue, I think he is best positioned as that third defending tall that can distribute the ball well from half back.

Midfield:

7. Ruckman: Sean Darcy
- Our best ruckman and working his way into the top 25% of ruckmen in the competition. Has been useful rotating forward as well and his work around the ground is becoming ever more useful.
8. Midfielder 1: Andrew Brayshaw - I think he is probably our first choice midfielder now with Nathan Fyfe probably likely to continue to rotate forward, Brayshaw gets a lot of the ball but can also be defensive and has tidied his disposal up to being neat and effective.
9. Midfielder 2: Caleb Serong - A pretty nice juxtaposition to Serong, also gets plenty of the ball and is a two way runner but probably has a bit more attacking flair.
10. Midfielder 3: David Mundy - The player with the best offensive capabilities (particularly now that Cerra is leaving), also still gets a lot of the ball, but is vulnerable going the other way.
11. Winger 1: James Aish - Decent wingman with few flaws but few outstanding attributes as well apart from being equally adept in defence. Reasonable speed / skills etc.
12. Winger 2: Blake Acres* - Probably the first point of weakness as whilst Acres has size and marking ability with him, he just doesn't have the skills or the speed to be as damaging as one would like the wing position to be. It is possible in 2022 that either Young is moved to this to provide greater offensive capabilities into the forward line, or one of the hybrid options (Chapman or O'Driscoll) could potentially move up to take this spot. The issue is that none of them provide much speed. Frederick or Henry (who have as forwards) could be developed up into these roles but I see them as better players to take a role on the half forward flank. Also probably a place where a draft pick could have a real impact on the team.

Forwardline:

13. Centre Half Forward: Josh Treacy
- Despite being only one season in and me being critical of him at times during the season, I overall liked what Treacy did across the season and particularly his lead up work and he would be walk-up start for that high tall forward role. He works hard, has decent burst speed and tackles pretty well as well as having a booming, pretty accurate kick.
14. Half Forward 1: Michael Frederick - Injured a lot of the season but when he did play works tirelessly up and down the ground and can get behind the defence with his speed but also provided a lot of forward pressure early on in the season. Was a little less accurate in 2021 as the season rolled on and just before injury, but I expect him to be one of the first small forward types picked if fit.
15. Half Forward 2: Sam Sturt* - This is a pick based on mostly talent rather than revealed form, but Sam Sturt is a versatile forward when he is fit and I think that the high half forward role suits his playing ability. Can play both small as well as take strong contested marks, very fast and also a long dangerous kick at goal. I also seriously considered Sam Switowski and Liam Henry for this pick, Swita because his defensive abilities and Henry for his speed and skill (as well as being able to make it onto the field more than the other two), but I think the current preferred option all players being fit is Sam Sturt. The fact that Sturt has played less than a handful of games is the centrepiece of the fragility of this forward line that, whilst on paper looks good, breaks down way too easily with one or two injuries.
16. Forward Pocket: Lachie Shultz - Earning a new extended contract, I think Shultz is our best tackling forward but also kicked the most goals of all the small forwards and second most goals for Freo in 2021 and is very much team oriented. Not as skillful or fast by foot as some of the others but probably the most well rounded, I think he naturally slots into this position for next year and is good enough as an option.
17. Key Forward 1: Matt Taberner - Had a second good season to follow up last season and will start next season again as the first tall forward picked. Still doesn't always lead to the best places and a little slow off the mark for a leading forward position, but is good enough if there is the skill from the midfield to get the ball to him.
18. Key Forward 2: Rory Lobb* - Started 2021 pretty slowly but had some good games later. Kicking was a lot better than previous years. May leave next season under certain conditions and it was rare that all of Taberner, Treacy and Lobb got on the field at the same time. Also gets an * as the bunch of tall forwards is probably a little bit slow and not that creative - there is no fast breaking tall amongst them nor super good forward smarts, so I see this as an area that could be improved through the draft.

The Hybrids:
19. Hybrid 1: Nathan Fyfe
- In 2022 I see Fyfe continuing a dual role as an impact forward and midfielder, particularly if Neale re-joins the club, but also covers for any endurance issues with Mundy.
20. Hybrid 2: Heath Chapman - At the other end of the age spectrum, I expect that Chapman will continue to mainly play in defence, but could have periods on the wing as well if the general health of the backline permits. One thing going for him in a wing or HBF position is the attacking nature of Chapman's kicks, as well as decent speed and size.
21. Hybrid 3: Michael Walters - In and out with injury in 2021 and declining speed but still a lot of footy smarts and skills, Walters can definitely still have a role both in the forward line and at times in the midfield if fit, depending on where injury strikes.
22. Hybrid 4: Sam Switowski* - Position 22 was a hard one to pick but I have gone with experience and hard work over talent and good health in Switowski. When on the field there are few in the team that chase and tackle as hard, but Sam just needs to make sure he is fit and doesn't break down all the time (Easier said then done though when half the forward line spent good periods of time out of the game).

(Some of) The Rest
23: Liam Henry
- When everyone is up and about, still just misses out on a hybrid or half forward flank position for mine; probably as much talent as anyone in the forward line, I expect that he may overtake some in 2022 with a bit more fitness and strength conditioning. One of my favorite players for the future. Not sure he is a wingman as some suggest he will be.
24: Bailey Banfield - If we ruled a line through Sam Sturt saying he was just too injured (and there is an argument to do so), then Banfield is really the next best choice as a medium forward. He has speed and size, works almost as hard as anyone else and has greatly improved his kicking at goals. Showed alot in 2021 for mine.
25: Nathan O'Driscoll - Had looked to have gone backwards early and mid way through the season having come off injury but the latter half he again started to show why we took out a loan to get him and I suspect (should he continue on that trajectory) he will be the one to watch for 2022. Has the profile of a "power" midfielder; size and speed with a booming (if not sometimes inaccurate) kick, tackles hard and can potentially fill a number of roles that are of a need including wing and maybe as a medium forward, particularly if Fyfe, Acres or Mundy go down. Important for him to keep working on the consistency of his kicking and improving his strength and endurance further.
26: Lloyd Meek - The backup ruckman, I thought Meek made some further strides this year and continues to just keep becoming a very good backup option. I suspect we will take Eric Benning as a late or rookie pick, so he will finally have some backup.
27: Mitch Crowden - Goes through patches where people love him and then hate him, was pretty accurate with his kicking this year, also runs pretty quickly but still gets caught. Like Joel Western I am really not sure what his best kind of role is at an AFL level.
28: Joel Hamling - Do you remember this guy? Feels like he is a long way back, but for some frustrating reason we just have not had a consistent run with injuries with the key backs so I expect to see him again next season; our most experienced backman.
29: Luke Valente - Yep.
30: Joel Western - has speed and his kicking has improved, but what is he at the next level? Again decent depth player
31. Nathan Wilson - Talented player but I am wondering whether the club will just focus on the future which I believe is Young, Walker and / or Chapman.
32: Travis Colyer (ADDED) - Had a good 2021 and suspect he will be around the same mark in 2022; without injuries I can't fit him into the 22 but I suspect when the inevitable happens he will be back in and provide strong running and commitment.
33: Connor Blakely (ADDED) - Was okay in patches in 2021, but if Neale comes back to the club I just see him way down the pecking order - is best as a midfielder, which we already have some strength in.
34: Darcy Tucker (ADDED) - Two years ago would have definitely made the 22 for mine. wingers / flankers. I suppose he is competition for the spot held by Acres, but has done nothing recently to suggest that he would be a strong contender; the fact I completely forgot him is not a good thing. Has the talent though and maybe with Cerra going the opportunity being opened up will renew his competitiveness.

Last edited:
Interesting time of year to consider the "Best" 22 and the rest but what the heck:

Defence:

- Our best lockdown defender bar no one, has the size, speed and positioning to beat talls and smalls. Only issue is fitness, but seems to be back fit and going. I had written him off with fitness concerns early in the season but he seems to have defied me again, so hats of for perseverance.
2. Key Defender 2: Griffin Logue - My second preference to put on a tall, again has the speed to get separation, fierce attack and also has a booming kick that can be useful. Still has development to come and I think will be the best of the lot long term.
3. General Defender: Luke Ryan - probably one of the best in the business, good on smalls and medium forwards but can play tall as well. Also provides significant attack with his kicking.
4. Half Back Flank 1: Hayden Young - Our primary quality half back flank even after only a small number of games, brilliant attacking kick and reasonable defender with good positioning. May move into the midfield next season and I would be pretty supportive of that, but I think for now I will still have him here.
5. Half Back Flank 2: Brandon Walker - Probably the first surprise in the list but the support from Longmuir through to the end of the season despite being not as seasoned as the other options says a lot. As well as being a developing defensive option, provides heaps of dash and attacking skill off the half back flank. The other options here were James Aish and Nathan Wilson, but I have Aish on the wing and Wilson in the twilight zone.
6. Centre Half Back: Brennan Cox - Although he doesn't have the speed of Pearce or Logue, I think he is best positioned as that third defending tall that can distribute the ball well from half back.

Midfield:

- Our best ruckman and working his way into the top 25% of ruckmen in the competition. Has been useful rotating forward as well and his work around the ground is becoming ever more useful.
8. Midfielder 1: Andrew Brayshaw - I think he is probably our first choice midfielder now with Nathan Fyfe probably likely to continue to rotate forward, Brayshaw gets a lot of the ball but can also be defensive and has tidied his disposal up to being neat and effective.
9. Midfielder 2: Caleb Serong - A pretty nice juxtaposition to Serong, also gets plenty of the ball and is a two way runner but probably has a bit more attacking flair.
10. Midfielder 3: David Mundy - The player with the best offensive capabilities (particularly now that Cerra is leaving), also still gets a lot of the ball, but is vulnerable going the other way.
11. Winger 1: James Aish - Decent wingman with few flaws but few outstanding attributes as well apart from being equally adept in defence. Reasonable speed / skills etc.
12. Winger 2: Blake Acres* - Probably the first point of weakness as whilst Acres has size and marking ability with him, he just doesn't have the skills or the speed to be as damaging as one would like the wing position to be. It is possible in 2022 that either Young is moved to this to provide greater offensive capabilities into the forward line, or one of the hybrid options (Chapman or O'Driscoll) could potentially move up to take this spot. The issue is that none of them provide much speed. Frederick or Henry (who have as forwards) could be developed up into these roles but I see them as better players to take a role on the half forward flank. Also probably a place where a draft pick could have a real impact on the team.

Forwardline:

- Despite being only one season in and me being critical of him at times during the season, I overall liked what Treacy did across the season and particularly his lead up work and he would be walk-up start for that high tall forward role. He works hard, has decent burst speed and tackles pretty well as well as having a booming, pretty accurate kick.
14. Half Forward 1: Michael Frederick - Injured a lot of the season but when he did play works tirelessly up and down the ground and can get behind the defence with his speed but also provided a lot of forward pressure early on in the season. Was a little less accurate in 2021 as the season rolled on and just before injury, but I expect him to be one of the first small forward types picked if fit.
15. Half Forward 2: Sam Sturt* - This is a pick based on mostly talent rather than revealed form, but Sam Sturt is a versatile forward when he is fit and I think that the high half forward role suits his playing ability. Can play both small as well as take strong contested marks, very fast and also a long dangerous kick at goal. I also seriously considered Sam Switowski and Liam Henry for this pick, Swita because his defensive abilities and Henry for his speed and skill (as well as being able to make it onto the field more than the other two), but I think the current preferred option all players being fit is Sam Sturt. The fact that Sturt has played less than a handful of games is the centrepiece of the fragility of this forward line that, whilst on paper looks good, breaks down way too easily with one or two injuries.
16. Forward Pocket: Lachie Shultz - Earning a new extended contract, I think Shultz is our best tackling forward but also kicked the most goals of all the small forwards and second most goals for Freo in 2021 and is very much team oriented. Not as skillful or fast by foot as some of the others but probably the most well rounded, I think he naturally slots into this position for next year and is good enough as an option.
17. Key Forward 1: Matt Taberner - Had a second good season to follow up last season and will start next season again as the first tall forward picked. Still doesn't always lead to the best places and a little slow off the mark for a leading forward position, but is good enough if there is the skill from the midfield to get the ball to him.
18. Key Forward 2: Rory Lobb* - Started 2021 pretty slowly but had some good games later. Kicking was a lot better than previous years. May leave next season under certain conditions and it was rare that all of Taberner, Treacy and Lobb got on the field at the same time. Also gets an * as the bunch of tall forwards is probably a little bit slow and not that creative - there is no fast breaking tall amongst them nor super good forward smarts, so I see this as an area that could be improved through the draft.

The Hybrids:
- In 2022 I see Fyfe continuing a dual role as an impact forward and midfielder, particularly if Neale re-joins the club, but also covers for any endurance issues with Mundy.
20. Hybrid 2: Heath Chapman - At the other end of the age spectrum, I expect that Chapman will continue to mainly play in defence, but could have periods on the wing as well if the general health of the backline permits. One thing going for him in a wing or HBF position is the attacking nature of Chapman's kicks, as well as decent speed and size.
21. Hybrid 3: Michael Walters - In and out with injury in 2021 and declining speed but still a lot of footy smarts and skills, Walters can definitely still have a role both in the forward line and at times in the midfield if fit, depending on where injury strikes.
22. Hybrid 4: Sam Switowski* - Position 22 was a hard one to pick but I have gone with experience and hard work over talent and good health in Switowski. When on the field there are few in the team that chase and tackle as hard, but Sam just needs to make sure he is fit and doesn't break down all the time (Easier said then done though when half the forward line spent good periods of time out of the game).

(Some of) The Rest
- When everyone is up and about, still just misses out on a hybrid or half forward flank position for mine; probably as much talent as anyone in the forward line, I expect that he may overtake some in 2022 with a bit more fitness and strength conditioning. One of my favorite players for the future. Not sure he is a wingman as some suggest he will be.
24: Bailey Banfield - If we ruled a line through Sam Sturt saying he was just too injured (and there is an argument to do so), then Banfield is really the next best choice as a medium forward. He has speed and size, works almost as hard as anyone else and has greatly improved his kicking at goals. Showed alot in 2021 for mine.
25: Nathan O'Driscoll - Had looked to have gone backwards early and mid way through the season having come off injury but the latter half he again started to show why we took out a loan to get him and I suspect (should he continue on that trajectory) he will be the one to watch for 2022. Has the profile of a "power" midfielder; size and speed with a booming (if not sometimes inaccurate) kick, tackles hard and can potentially fill a number of roles that are of a need including wing and maybe as a medium forward, particularly if Fyfe, Acres or Mundy go down. Important for him to keep working on the consistency of his kicking and improving his strength and endurance further.
26: Lloyd Meek - The backup ruckman, I thought Meek made some further strides this year and continues to just keep becoming a very good backup option. I suspect we will take Eric Benning as a late or rookie pick, so he will finally have some backup.
27: Mitch Crowden - Goes through patches where people love him and then hate him, was pretty accurate with his kicking this year, also runs pretty quickly but still gets caught. Like Joel Western I am really not sure what his best kind of role is at an AFL level.
28: Joel Hamling - Do you remember this guy? Feels like he is a long way back, but for some frustrating reason we just have not had a consistent run with injuries with the key backs so I expect to see him again next season; our most experienced backman.
30: Joel Western - has speed and his kicking has improved, but what is he at the next level? Again decent depth player
31. Nathan Wilson - Talented player but I am wondering whether the club will just focus on the future which I believe is Young, Walker and / or Chapman.

Anyone I haven't covered?
Blakely, Colyer, Tucker?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Logue Pearce Ryan
Walker Young Chapman
Frederick Serong Clark
Sturt Treacy Henry
Taberner Lobb Shultz

Darcy Fyfe Mundy

Brayshaw Walters Aish Pick 10

• Don't rate Cox but 100% we will have a tall injured by round 1.
  • I think they'll give Walters a round 1 spot but he might get dropped during the season. The Walters situation will probably tell us a lot about JLO as a coach.
  • I am hoping like hell O'Driscoll and Valente come on but if they're both busts we look really light on for midfield talent.
  • I think we will regress slightly without Cerra and Mundy/Fyfe dropping off. There will be some blowouts when the younger players cant get their hands on the pill.

Defence:

Midfield:

Forwardline:

The Hybrids:

(Some of) The Rest
32: Travis Colyer (ADDED) - Had a good 2021 and suspect he will be around the same mark in 2022; without injuries I can't fit him into the 22 but I suspect when the inevitable happens he will be back in and provide strong running and commitment.
33: Connor Blakely (ADDED) - Was okay in patches in 2021, but if Neale comes back to the club I just see him way down the pecking order - is best as a midfielder, which we already have some strength in.
34: Darcy Tucker (ADDED) - Two years ago would have definitely made the 22 for mine. wingers / flankers. I suppose he is competition for the spot held by Acres, but has done nothing recently to suggest that he would be a strong contender; the fact I completely forgot him is not a good thing. Has the talent though and maybe with Cerra going the opportunity being opened up will renew his competitiveness.
I'd have Tucker over Acres and I think Chapman needs to spend time at Peel but otherwise I like it.

Too much to ask???

Defenders:
Pearce
Hamling
Cox
Logue
Young
Wilson
Ryan
Chapman
Hughes
Walker
Aish

Rucks:
Darcy
Meek
Benning
Cripps

Midfielders:
Serong
Brayshaw
Mundy
Tucker
Fyfe
Fredrick
O'Driscoll
Valente
Western
Crowden
Banfield
Blakely
Acres
Clark
Erasmus

Forwards:
Walters
Henry
Schultz
Lobb
Switta
Colyer
Sturt
Treacy
Taberner
Van Rooyen
Motlop

My latest thinking.

I'd have Tucker over Acres and I think Chapman needs to spend time at Peel but otherwise I like it.

Don’t understand how people rate Frederick ahead of Henry tbh.

Also think rating Wilson, Hamling and Colyer outside of our top 30 players is premature. They’re all in our best 25 players currently and will probably start round one if fit.

Don’t understand how people rate Frederick ahead of Henry tbh.

Also think rating Wilson, Hamling and Colyer outside of our top 30 players is premature. They’re all in our best 25 players currently and will probably start round one if fit.
Hughes > Wilson.

This is the hill I will die on.

But certainly agree that Wilson, Hamling and Colyer are in our best 25. Will eat my hat if we see all of Walker, Freddy and Henry lining up round one.

Hughes > Wilson.

This is the hill I will die on.

But certainly agree that Wilson, Hamling and Colyer are in our best 25. Will eat my hat if we see all of Walker, Freddy and Henry lining up round one.

I like Hughes but I saw Wilson, Hamling, Colyer and Tucker even ranked 25-35 on our list in that previous post and thought it was a bit rough. Hughes is another to add to the list.

Based off what’s been done so far Valente, NOD and Western or not in our top 35 to start the season. Acquisitions from trade period and most likely picks 8 and 10 depending on position will all start ahead of them. Things may change quickly over the pre season and/or early in the season though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back