Prediction 2022 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I have absolutely no idea what our best 22 looks like. We have so many players who have missed so much football, I feel it is a lottery. I do have a few opinions, though, some that may be controversial.

I think Pearce, Ryan and Young are the only locks in defence (unless we decide to trial Young elsewhere). I imagine that the club considers Clark a lock, but I am unconvinced.

I think Cox is best 22. I have always wanted him up forward, although I get that horse may have bolted. I think he has some unusual traits, a good contested mark and rarely beaten in the air, also great awareness and creative with ball in hand, a good field kick. If in defence I would like to see him as third tall, with some licence to create.

I think Switta is best 22 (If he can stay on the park). I would not have said that 12 months ago, but he impressed me when he played in 2021.

I think Aish is best 22, for his flexibility, and week in week out reliability.

And finally I think my Buddy Sam is best 22 if he can get on the park. We need someone with his natural skills up forward.

I have no opinion who should play on the wings. Well maybe I do because I would probably like to see Clark there.

There is I think 8 that I haven’t mentioned yet that are obvious, Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy, Tabs, Lobb and Sonny.

As for the rest of the team, like I said, I have no idea.

Until the full pre season plays out to gauge injury and form, these best 22s are fairly pointless, but are still good fun so I am going to have a crack.

Ryan Pearce Walker
Young Cox Clarke
Freddy Fyfe Aish
Erasmus Treacy Sturt
Shultz Tabs Lobb.

Darcy Brayshaw Serong.

Chapman, Walters, Mundy, Switta,

Pretty attacking and quick side

Hamling KPD depth
Amiss KPF depth.
Tucker Midfield depth
Henry Small forward depth.
Logue Mid back depth
Wilson Mid back depth
Colyer: Forward depth.

At this stage it's easier to list the Peel team, i.e. those who shouldn't/won't be in the round 1 team: Acres, Blakely, Valente, Wilson, Hughes, Benning, Western, Meek, Amiss, Johnson, Colyer, Crowden.

I'll have a crack cause what I was supposed to be doing at work this morning has been cancelled and I've not got much better to do...

Ryan, Hamling, Logue
Young, Pearce, Clark
Henry, Brayshaw, Tucker
Sturt, Treacy, Switkowski
Lobb, Taberner, Walters

Ruck: Darcy, Fyfe, Serong

Bench: Chapman, Shooter, Mundy, Cox

Just missing in order of preference: Frederick, Aish, Erasmus, O'Driscoll, Walker, Banfield.

It's pretty tough. If Hamling is at his best, he's the best full back partner with Pearce as he is a better spoiler than Cox, with Cox a better user. If you can negate Hamling's weaknesses by having quality users around him, then he gets the nod over Cox, and I can see one of Hamling and Cox not making the team for balance. If they want more run, replace Cox on the Bench with one of the just missing mids. JL may choose Hamling/Cox depending on the Team we are playing and who makes more sense that weekend. It's great having so much quality in the backline.

What I want to see if guys like Western, Johnson, Amiss pushing themselves into that just missing bracket, improving the depth of the squad. Except for Meek and Benning, the writing is on the wall for the rest of that group who should be playing at Peel most of, if not all of, the year (Acres, Blakely, Valente, Wilson, Hughes, Colyer, Crowden).

Man, it's tough trying to pick the starting 22 this year with all the extra depth. This is what I've settled on:

View attachment 1301302

Not a bad team, might be slightly short on some midfield rotations with only Walters/Mundy/Tucker real options for on-ball not already in there, plus Henry to do some wing minutes.

The other main weakness is who chops out for Sean Darcy in your team, Tabs?
That would leave a pretty average situation if either of them copped a mid-game injury, only Treacy and potentially Cox as tall forward line targets.

Not a bad team, might be slightly short on some midfield rotations with only Walters/Mundy/Tucker real options for on-ball not already in there, plus Henry to do some wing minutes.

The other main weakness is who chops out for Sean Darcy in your team, Tabs?
That would leave a pretty average situation if either of them copped a mid-game injury, only Treacy and potentially Cox as tall forward line targets.
Yeah, I was thinking that was a weakness but I couldn't pick who to drop for Lobb. Maybe Tabs but he deserves his current spot in the team, despite his brain fartiness. As for mid rotations, well, my thinking was having minutes for Erasmus, Walters, Aish, Tucker, Chapman in there. But as said, the increased depth means it's not wrong to rejig the lineup to suit different setups. Good times.

Man, it's tough trying to pick the starting 22 this year with all the extra depth. This is what I've settled on:

View attachment 1301302
Pretty good team there mate. That forward half actually looks pretty good!

IMHO you can't have all of Hamling, Cox, Pearce, Logue and Chapman in the same team. It's just too top-heavy. At least 1 will be at Peel, maybe 2.

I'd be pretty furious if Lobb gets to the point where he's not best 22. The guy would be getting 700,000 to play WAFL. If that's the thinking we definitely should have traded him.

Pretty good team there mate. That forward half actually looks pretty good!

IMHO you can't have all of Hamling, Cox, Pearce, Logue and Chapman in the same team. It's just too top-heavy. At least 1 will be at Peel, maybe 2.

I'd be pretty furious if Lobb gets to the point where he's not best 22. The guy would be getting 700,000 to play WAFL. If that's the thinking we definitely should have traded him.
With our injuries I’d be surprised if all of them will be available all season.
Also think Lobb, Tabs, Treacy should be first picked. Sturt, Erasmus can play medium to small.
Only way we get better is that the small forward competition is
Ferocious.
Same with Sonny, teamwork has to gel to turn points into goals. That means being disciplined, playing as a unit and ensuring our forwards create space.
Coming from WC I’d expect Graham to want a similar forward structure.

With our injuries I’d be surprised if all of them will be available all season.
Also think Lobb, Tabs, Treacy should be first picked. Sturt, Erasmus can play medium to small.
Only way we get better is that the small forward competition is
Ferocious.
Same with Sonny, teamwork has to gel to turn points into goals. That means being disciplined, playing as a unit and ensuring our forwards create space.
Coming from WC I’d expect Graham to want a similar forward structure.
Do you think the forward line have like for likes?

Do you think the forward line have like for likes?
Well Tabs should be around 40 goals, Lobb 30, Treacy the same. But I expect Darcy to be more dangerous resting.
So hard to gauge due to injury, but Walters in form is our talisman.
Sturt and Erasmus are first round quality. Amiss as a tall to take time.
Obviously over a long period WC forwards stats are a bar set too high, but How long does Kennedy have?
We are in uncharted waters, Freo have never had so many options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Tabs should be around 40 goals, Lobb 30, Treacy the same. But I expect Darcy to be more dangerous resting.
So hard to gauge due to injury, but Walters in form is our talisman.
Sturt and Erasmus are first round quality. Amiss as a tall to take time.
Obviously over a long period WC forwards stats are a bar set too high, but How long does Kennedy have?
We are in uncharted waters, Freo have never had so many options.
My point really is that we don't have the players to structure up as WC do, and we won't be sitting around waiting for Amiss to transform into Kennedy. He'll need to come up with a structure that fits who we do have.

Injuries aside our forward line has a lot of upside.

Lobb has been poorly utilised and our talls as a group seem to conflict rather than co-operate. Taberner is in career best form and has been for 2 years, Lobb presents as a nightmare for defenders, and Treacy is a workhorse who wants to impact every contest.

Walters, Schultz and Switkowski should be very capable as a small contingent.

Defensively we are dreadful forward.

All of those things I will place in the poor coaching basket for now.

Sturt and Erasmus would excite any forward coach and add mismatches and x-factor.

My point really is that we don't have the players to structure up as WC do, and we won't be sitting around waiting for Amiss to transform into Kennedy. He'll need to come up with a structure that fits who we do have.

Injuries aside our forward line has a lot of upside.

Lobb has been poorly utilised and our talls as a group seem to conflict rather than co-operate. Taberner is in career best form and has been for 2 years, Lobb presents as a nightmare for defenders, and Treacy is a workhorse who wants to impact every contest.

Walters, Schultz and Switkowski should be very capable as a small contingent.

Defensively we are dreadful forward.

All of those things I will place in the poor coaching basket for now.

Sturt and Erasmus would excite any forward coach and add mismatches and x-factor.
WC play tall in the forward line, Dees maybe are a better scope of what we could achieve.
I can see all of Tabs, Lobb, Treacy playing, ie 3 talls and fitter rucks copying the Melbourne gameplan.
The two tall pronged attack, surrounded by smalls, I don’t think Graham would rate that highly?
It’s also one of the reasons the Dogs looked easy to contain in the GF.
I’m looking forward watching Treacy, Erasmus, defensively and
Darcy already intimidates.
The smalls should be more dynamic with better structure, discipline in roving rather than trying to play tall😜

Two is plenty, especially given Walters will be there for a couple more years.

I can't see any more than one of the others fitting in other parts of the ground, most likely Henry.

I don’t think Walters will be around for a few more years. The hammies will come more frequently now until another pre season will look like a bridge too far.

I only see Schultz and maybe Swita as a small forward. Agree a major upgrade would hlep a lot
While Serong was considered a Robbie Gray clone in his junior days. I would like them to increase his ground time a bit and play him forward for brief spells. Mundy can also play as a tall small forward if that makes sense as he is terrific at roving packs. If we play Walters a bit onball then rotate Mundy and Serong forward I think that would make us a bit more unpredictable. I loved Serong flying for marks when he first came into the team playing mostly forward. https://www.afl.com.au/news/44315/robbie-gray-clone-shines-as-vic-country-thumps-allies

Looks great. He is being held back a bit compared to Erasmus who is doing everything. At least in training Johnson appears to be playing wing. He looks athletic as advertised and is a wonderful laser kick in open space from what Ive seen.
I think we can be patient with Johnson, and look longer term. We have some depth on the wings, or players who could be moved in a pinch.
Erasmus was always going to be the first to debut, body wise and need.

I know it's sacrilege to ask, but why is Mundy a shoe in? We may not see his mix of strength and skill again at this club for some time, but those legs are tiring and he applies less defensive pressure than an Argentinian soldier stationed on the Falklands.
I hope this year is the year he is pushed out by guys that may never be close to as good as Mundy but who are part of a future premiership team that he unfortunately won't be.
Best field kick in the AFL. Or bloody close!

Firstly, apologies if this post should be elsewhere.

All politics aside, there is a thread for that, how do people see the 2022 season unfolding?

Given the news in the BBL today where 7-8 players from one team and 4 or 5 from another have been found to be Covid positive I simply can’t see how a team sport such as ours, uniquely with so many participants, is going to be able to function throughout an entire season.

I think it will make us long for the hubs of 2020 and 2021 (only from a footy perspective) but given Covid is likely to be rampant everywhere who knows?

Sorry to sound like Chicken Little but I think this season is going to be unmanageable. I guess the AFLW will be a pointer but I just cannot see how the AFL will find a way through. At best a shortened season of 17 games, maximum?

I know it’s an exercise in crystal ball gazing, thoughts?
This topic is already infecting the pre-season thread. Maybe we could isolate it there unless it is specifically relevant to another topic.

Every offseason I find myself cranking out these lists out like Tibetan prayers, hoping that one day we'll actually see our Best 22 in the same side. My attempt includes player rankings at each position to try and and justify my selections. But mostly I've tried to go with how I see the club rating our players at their preferred positions.

PLAYER RANKING BY POSITION

TALL BACKS
  1. Alex Pearce*
  2. Brennan Cox*
  3. Griffin Logue*
  4. Heath Chapman*
  5. Joel Hamling
Notes: While Hamling was once our #1 FB, a couple of years out of the game have seen others go past him. There would be very little between Logue and Chapman but both players are pretty versatile, so I was happy putting both in my best 22 ahead of more medium defenders.

SMALL / MEDIUM DEFENDERS
  1. Luke Ryan*
  2. Hayden Young*
  3. Jordan Clark*
  4. Brandon Walker
  5. Ethan Hughes
  6. Nathan Wilson
Notes: I felt compelled to slot Jordan Clark on a HBF given everything said by himself and the club about this being his “best position”. Also, I don’t mean to be so harsh on Wilson but I suspect the club was less than impressed with some of his defensive lapses in 2021. The club probably rates Hughes over Walker but I’m suspect to a little wishful thinking, opting for x-factor over reliability.

MIDS (CENTRES / FOLLOWERS)
  1. Nathan Fyfe*
  2. David Mundy*
  3. Caleb Serong*
  4. Andrew Brayshaw*
  5. Darcy Tucker
  6. Matthew Johnson
  7. Mitch Crowden
  8. Will Brodie
  9. Connor Blakely
  10. Joel Western
  11. Luke Valente
Notes: Top 5 are pretty clear-cut though I could be convinced to switch spots for Brayshaw and Serong. After that it’s pure speculation as to how I see the club ranking our players, starting with a bit of optimism that Johnson goes past Crowden and co by the time we need to access that level of our depth chart.

WINGS
  1. Michael Frederick*
  2. James Aish*
  3. Liam Henry*
  4. Nathan O’Driscoll
  5. Blake Acres
  6. Karl Worner
Notes: Yeah, yeah, wings are mids too, but I thought it was worth noting the position separately as we’d want at least 2 genuine wings playing in any given game with support provided from the other mids and flankers. In terms of the wing rankings, I think Freddy went past Aish last year, but of course Aish had the more consistent season. I’ve also taken the club at it’s word to put Henry in this group.

SMALL / MEDIUM FORWARD
  1. Michael Walters*
  2. Lachie Shultz*
  3. Travis Colyer*
  4. Neil Erasmus*
  5. Sam Switkowski
  6. Sam Sturt
Notes: I surprised myself with Colyer ranked at #3 but I think the club really rates the speed he brings to the game. Sturt’s behind Erasmus and Switta as I feel the injuries have set him back.

TALL FORWARDS
  1. Matthew Taberner*
  2. Josh Treacy*
  3. Rory Lobb*
  4. Jye Amiss
Notes: While I have Lobb as our #3 forward, realistically he’d probably be selected ahead of Treacy as he’s also our #2 ruck.

RUCKS
  1. Sean Darcy*
  2. Lloyd Meek
  3. Eric Benning
Notes: Not a lot to say here other than Benning’s versatility forward could see him preferred over Lloyd down the track.

*BEST 22:

Logue Pearce Ryan

Clark Cox Young

Freddy Mundy Aish

Darcy Fyfe Serong

Colyer Taberner Walters

Shultz Treacy Lobb

Int: Chapman, Brayshaw, Henry, Erasmus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back