Prediction 2022 Best 22 Teams and discussion

It's the Andrew Brayshaw vibes with the bigger, more powerful frame.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
That and he’s only just started taking footy seriously rather than being groomed for it his entire life. Ceiling could be anything.
Got some handy players with outstanding attitudes and attributes picked before him though. He'll be doing well, as would anyone, to be best in draft.

Last edited:

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Definitely. But I stand by it.
The question asked was "What gives you confidence?"

I'm not so interested in making a prediction, but there are two things I see in him.

One is he seems determined to impose himself.

The second is he is a late birthday, so he has been doing that early in his development.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
1) he has that steely determination that you could instantly see in brayshaw and fyfe
2) he has immaculate skills
3) he’s hungry to learn
4) he gives it that extra effort that separates good from great

Combine that with his late birthday and him coming to the sport a bit later (seriously) and we have a gem. If it was any other year I don’t think we’d have been able to grab him at pick 10.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
1) he has that steely determination that you could instantly see in brayshaw and fyfe
2) he has immaculate skills
3) he’s hungry to learn
4) he gives it that extra effort that separates good from great

Combine that with his late birthday and him coming to the sport a bit later (seriously) and we have a gem. If it was any other year I don’t think we’d have been able to grab him at pick 10.
He certainly was hidden away in the PSA comp and convenient injury right before state games and combine.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
He certainly was hidden away in the PSA comp and convenient injury right before state games and combine.
We may have impacted where he was taken by holding 2 x top 10 picks, and clearly needing a kpf.

Certainly seems like we got both Erasmus and Johnson at the bottom of their ranges, and perhaps Amiss at the top of his.

If pre-season continues how its going then I think round 1 will be:

Ryan Pearce Logue
Young Cox Clark
Henry Fyfe Aish
Walters Tabs Frederick
Switta Lobb Schultz

Darcy Serong Brayshaw

Mundy Chapman Colyer O'Driscoll

I feel like I've seen this story with our players before re: Treacy and its worse than they are letting on. Sturt wont be playing round 1 if he's STILL not 100% in main training (which is ludicrous by the way).

O'Driscoll is left field but I think the extra wing options will help rest Henry and Aish who have legit 2nd positions on the ground and think he'll be rewarded if he continues his strong pre-season.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
If pre-season continues how its going then I think round 1 will be:

Ryan Pearce Logue
Young Cox Clark
Henry Fyfe Aish
Walters Tabs Frederick
Switta Lobb Schultz

Darcy Serong Brayshaw

Mundy Chapman Colyer O'Driscoll

I feel like I've seen this story with our players before re: Treacy and its worse than they are letting on. Sturt wont be playing round 1 if he's STILL not 100% in main training (which is ludicrous by the way).

O'Driscoll is left field but I think the extra wing options will help rest Henry and Aish who have legit 2nd positions on the ground and think he'll be rewarded if he continues his strong pre-season.

Too many short people. Though we have done it plenty of times before, so it may well happen again. But we really need to dispense with such a selection policy that has been a massive liability for years. I'd be playing Erasmus and Tucker instead of two of the little folk. And preferably replace even more of the mosquito fleet.

Too many short people. Though we have done it plenty of times before, so it may well happen again. But we really need to dispense with such a selection policy that has been a massive liability for years. I'd be playing Erasmus and Tucker instead of two of the little folk. And preferably replace even more of the mosquito fleet.
Yeah, I'd prefer Colyer not getting any games this year unless as depth as its wasted development IMO. That would make the whole bench basically 190cm+ (I think Noddy is 188cm or something) but you just know it will be Colyer's spot to lose to start the year which is probably at least the fairest way to do it given his year last year

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, I'd prefer Colyer not getting any games this year unless as depth as its wasted development IMO. That would make the whole bench basically 190cm+ (I think Noddy is 188cm or something) but you just know it will be Colyer's spot to lose to start the year which is probably at least the fairest way to do it given his year last year
Agree with your analysis as to how the club sees it. For mine Colyer was just a bit better than OK rather than awesome - so I'm hoping it becomes clear that he's been overtaken by any number of our recent draftees.

Last edited:

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
And West Coast really wanted him in their academy.
Just shows that for half the players the Academies are a rort. For a lot of players including Erasmus they would always make their way into AFL and reach the levels (or close to it) on their own.

Just because Erasmus was eligible to be an Eagles Academy player they did nothing to develop him.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Just shows that for half the players the Academies are a rort. For a lot of players including Erasmus they would always make their way into AFL and reach the levels (or close to it) on their own.

Just because Erasmus was eligible to be an Eagles Academy player they did nothing to develop him.
He went in the first round so they wouldn't have got him regardless. And why take Erasmus when you can take a Victorian hbf-er?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

Plus the lazy Eagles sent an email to Erasmus’ parents.

I would have thought they have a meeting and then sign the deal.

Our club gets accused of amateur hour but this takes the cake.

ubiquitous226

All Australian
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
We may have impacted where he was taken by holding 2 x top 10 picks, and clearly needing a kpf.

Certainly seems like we got both Erasmus and Johnson at the bottom of their ranges, and perhaps Amiss at the top of his.

If we hadn't taken Erasmus, who do you think would have?

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lets not get too carried away with how good Colyer was last year. I remember him being ok, and that’s about it. He had a number of pretty ordinary performances and has a habit of brain farts such as ridiculously playing on from marks and taking daft advantages when the free kick was already awarded in front of goal which happened more than once last year.
I think what is helping him in peoples minds on here is that he was expected to be absolutely s**t at the start of last season by most fans, but then wasn’t as bad as everyone expected which was a pleasant surprise. The expectation bar was low and in fairness to him he turned in some spirited displays and looked like he cared for the most part (not something that can be said about everyone unfortunately). Seems like a decent bloke too and a good pro around the club so he deserved his one year deal.
However if we are serious about finals and making an impact on the comp this season, Trav should be spending the vast majority of his weekends playing at peel

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If we hadn't taken Erasmus, who do you think would have?
Hmmm, I'm not suggesting we wouldn't have taken Erasmus. If Amiss was already gone, We may have taken him at 8. The draft ranges suggested for him was 4-10 I think. But if we hadn't taken Erasmus at 10 I liked Johnson.

Johnson had pushed up to the wafl which is a tick, plus is a pretty close like for like for Cerra. Really pleased we got him. I can see the bullishness for Erasmus, but Johnson is class.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Zero chance he would have lasted to 41 so not sure it’s even relevant. Saying that, passing on Johnson comparisons will be never ending with Chesser.
They moved back in the draft to take Chesser and get another later pick.
I think Simpson still thinks they are in with a chance, similar to the Cats.
Time will tell but I don’t see it ending well for both coaches.
I think Port did the deal so it will be interesting for them or Hinkley too?

Back