Unofficial Preview 2022 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen him play a game, but I've seen him training last week and it was definitely in the forward line.
Does he look like he can make an impression on the selectors and put his name up in lights for higher honours than the Magoos ?

Does he look like he can make an impression on the selectors and put his name up in lights for higher honours than the Magoos ?
I'll get back to you on that when they start doing full on match sim. But has the right qualities to be an exciting prospect in the forward line. Takes a good mark and goal sense.

I'll get back to you on that when they start doing full on match sim. But has the right qualities to be an exciting prospect in the forward line. Takes a good mark and goal sense.
I saw a highlights reel of hm , great hands , beautiful kick of the ball , very athletic and has a bit of X factor razzle dazzle about him , look forward to your match sim update

If Cameron was squeezed out by the other more talented forward hopefuls, ( especially if Kreuger goes good,) do we have someone else for a ruck chop out? Roughy & Moore or perhaps Kreuger himself?

If Cameron was squeezed out by the other more talented forward hopefuls, ( especially if Kreuger goes good,) do we have someone else for a ruck chop out? Roughy & Moore or perhaps Kreuger himself?
I think we'll go with all 3 to begin with. But in the unlikely event that both Kreuger and Johnson/McMahon are going well enough, and they didn't want to play Cameron or Cox, Mihocek could play as a swingman to release a kpd for ruck relief.

He’ll have more competition for the wing next season with Lipinski coming in and the likes of Reef, Macrae, Bianco starting to come on. But I also think we can’t afford to have a player with speed and a long kick in the ressies so if he gets pushed off the wing I hope he atleast moves to half back.

I don’t see Lipinski spending too much time on a wing like he did at the Dogs. I reckon he’s going to be more centre square than wing. He just couldn’t get in there at the dogs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t see Lipinski spending too much time on a wing like he did at the Dogs. I reckon he’s going to be more centre square than wing. He just couldn’t get in there at the dogs.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This
It'll be mid-forward, which he has mentioned.

I think this is our best 22:

FB: Maynard - Roughead - Howe
HB: Quaynor - Moore - Crisp
C: Sidebottom - De Goey - Lipinski
F: Grundy - Adams - Pendlebury
HF: McCreery - Krueger - Mihocek
FF: Elliott - Cameron - WHE

Int: J Daicos, N Daicos, Henry, Ruscoe
Sub/Em: Macrae, Reef, Dean

This is a best 22 with a few senior omissions and an eye on development

FB: Maynard - Roughead - Dean
HB
: Quaynor - Moore - Ruscoe
C
: J Daicos - De Goey - Lipinski
F: Grundy - Adams - Macrae
HF
: McCreery - Mihocek - Ginnivan
FF
: Elliott - Krueger - Henry

Int
: Pendlebury, Crisp, N Daicos, Reef
Sub/Em
: Poulter, Draper, Coop

HB
C
HF
FF

Int
Sub/Em
That's not bad. Given we need to get games into these kids, be interesting to see the round 1 line up. Clearly McRae wont rush them as he is big on development, but they are who will be driving us forward

HB
C
HF
FF

Int
Sub/Em

Good list, but I'll spew up if a fit Howe is left out.

Good list, but I'll spew up if a fit Howe is left out.

Same. I just assumed Howe will miss some games with injury. To fit in Dean it could easily be Roughead instead. Or go with two third talls in Howe + Dean and drop Ruscoe or a mid instead. I think the arrival of Dean may limit opportunities for Murphy, Madgen and Wilson. I'm glad we've bought in another tall defensive option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Dean and Howe as likely inclusions, I personally prefer to see both Crisp and Maynard in the middle. Think Adams - Crisp - Maynard - Pendlebury instantly turns our midfield from a massive liability to one that is above average.

Raven's Magpie flock for Round 1, 2022.

B: Dean - Roughead - Maynard
HB: Howe - Moore - Quaynor
C: Crisp - Adams - J.Daicos
HF: Sidebottom - Mihocek - Henry
F: Elliott - Krueger - Ginnivan
Foll: Grundy - Pendlebury - De Goey
Int: N.Daicos - Lipinski - Hoskin-Elliott - Cameron
Sub: Poulter
Emerg: McCreery - Noble - Macrae

This team has good flexibility and depth in all positions. I like the balance of it.

Random musings...

ND plays from round one. He's just too good. No sense in waiting. Can't wait to watch him star in the pre-season games.
Lipinski a massive in for our mid depth. Hoping he hits the ground running and becomes a permanent fixture on the team sheet.
WHE has fast become our most maligned player. But his best is brilliant, and I'm predicting a big turnaround for Will. More wing time incoming.
Krueger slots in at FF right away. That's why he's here. Train him up. Sit the big fella there, and tell him it's his spot. Build him up.
Cameron on the bench, as 2nd ruck and to stretch opposition defences. I would love to see the three talls play along with Grundy.
Can't wait to see Checkers as the 3rd tall. I can already see more marks deep on the wing/half-back, and with is footy nous he'll get loose at times.
With a solid pre-season, Dean to get a chance from the get-go. Otherwise Ruscoe gets that spot. Allows Crisp/Maynard/IQ to rotate further up the ground.
JDG in the guts. Otherwise for round 1, Lipinski/Sidebottom/Crisp/Bruz can slide into the middle, Poulter into the 22, Macrae the Sub, Ruscoe next Emergency.
Ginnivan just in front of McCreery. Both have solid claims.
Henry locked in. Just keeps getting better with every game he plays.

Really want McInnes to have a blinder in the pre-season to put his name forward. Can't wait to see if his junior hype can translate to the AFL.
I want Cox to play 0 games. Nothing against the big Texan, just that if he plays, it means we either have injuries or form issues with our 4 starting talls, and that Johnson/Begg/McMahon are not ready for the seniors. I want to see those three push ahead of big Mason.
Has Will Kelly settled on a position yet?
The Brown Brothers need to have big seasons. It's crunch time. Both have the talent. We all want them to be killing it!

GW and Derek Hine have done a terrific job with the list following last years debacle.
+ Added a ready made KPD on the cheap (Dean)
+ Added a ready made hungry midfielder with both youth and experience (Lipinski)
+ Added a decent KPF prospect for peanuts (Krueger)
+ Added a blue chip, rolls royce, future hall of famer (no pressure), midfield young gun to the team (you know who)
+ Shrewdly picked up a former Top-10 draft prospect at pick 45 (Draper)
+ Selected two quick kids with late picks, one of them the fastest kid in Australia. (Murley & Harrison)
+ Held on to our 1st round pick for the 2022 draft (YES!)

Raven's Magpie flock for Round 1, 2022.

B: Dean - Roughead - Maynard
HB: Howe - Moore - Quaynor
C: Crisp - Adams - J.Daicos
HF: Sidebottom - Mihocek - Henry
F: Elliott - Krueger - Ginnivan
Foll: Grundy - Pendlebury - De Goey
Int: N.Daicos - Lipinski - Hoskin-Elliott - Cameron
Sub: Poulter
Emerg: McCreery - Noble - Macrae

This team has good flexibility and depth in all positions. I like the balance of it.

Random musings...

ND plays from round one. He's just too good. No sense in waiting. Can't wait to watch him star in the pre-season games.
Lipinski a massive in for our mid depth. Hoping he hits the ground running and becomes a permanent fixture on the team sheet.
WHE has fast become our most maligned player. But his best is brilliant, and I'm predicting a big turnaround for Will. More wing time incoming.
Krueger slots in at FF right away. That's why he's here. Train him up. Sit the big fella there, and tell him it's his spot. Build him up.
Cameron on the bench, as 2nd ruck and to stretch opposition defences. I would love to see the three talls play along with Grundy.
Can't wait to see Checkers as the 3rd tall. I can already see more marks deep on the wing/half-back, and with is footy nous he'll get loose at times.
With a solid pre-season, Dean to get a chance from the get-go. Otherwise Ruscoe gets that spot. Allows Crisp/Maynard/IQ to rotate further up the ground.
JDG in the guts. Otherwise for round 1, Lipinski/Sidebottom/Crisp/Bruz can slide into the middle, Poulter into the 22, Macrae the Sub, Ruscoe next Emergency.
Ginnivan just in front of McCreery. Both have solid claims.
Henry locked in. Just keeps getting better with every game he plays.

Really want McInnes to have a blinder in the pre-season to put his name forward. Can't wait to see if his junior hype can translate to the AFL.
I want Cox to play 0 games. Nothing against the big Texan, just that if he plays, it means we either have injuries or form issues with our 4 starting talls, and that Johnson/Begg/McMahon are not ready for the seniors. I want to see those three push ahead of big Mason.
Has Will Kelly settled on a position yet?
The Brown Brothers need to have big seasons. It's crunch time. Both have the talent. We all want them to be killing it!

GW and Derek Hine have done a terrific job with the list following last years debacle.
+ Added a ready made KPD on the cheap (Dean)
+ Added a ready made hungry midfielder with both youth and experience (Lipinski)
+ Added a decent KPF prospect for peanuts (Krueger)
+ Added a blue chip, rolls royce, future hall of famer (no pressure), midfield young gun to the team (you know who)
+ Shrewdly picked up a former Top-10 draft prospect at pick 45 (Draper)
+ Selected two quick kids with late picks, one of them the fastest kid in Australia. (Murley & Harrison)
+ Held on to our 1st round pick for the 2022 draft (YES!)
I love it when you get all serious about the Pies.

american-psycho-patrick-bateman.gif

Just realised Taylor Adams was #1 in Centre Clearances Per Game in 2021 in the AFL?!

We have all dropped WHE. His salary means that we're likely going to field him. At least for the first part of the season. And I think when played on the wing, he is a quality player. People just need to realise this and stop reiterating his dire 2020/1 campaign.

WHE still in my R1 team. Nothing to do with his salary. Onus on others to usurp him.

I haven't seen him play a game, but I've seen him training last week and it was definitely in the forward line.

I think the fact we’ve got so many KP types who are yet to claim a spot and who have that forward-defence flexibility in their CV’s invites these types of left field selections. Be a very interesting ride in 2022 and beyond.

That's not bad. Given we need to get games into these kids, be interesting to see the round 1 line up. Clearly McRae wont rush them as he is big on development, but they are who will be driving us forward

With 27/44 players on the list having <50 games senior experience McRae’s options with the kids become more limited.

Looking at the various lists here, and at the difficulty most posters are having in settling on the best players, my view that 2022 will not be the disaster year most are predicting is strengthened. The side we have could easily finish mid table, and could even press into the 8. With a decent run with injuries, (a big if) we will be competitive. I am assuming here that De Goey will play, and Nick Daicos will be a player straight away. Neither are certain.
It is 2023 that worries me. Once Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Howe are gone, our top end is gone. There will have to be dramatic improvement from a lot of players who were only medium draft picks for as to hold on, let alone start improving from then.
But I at least look forward to a fairly good 2022.

It is 2023 that worries me. Once Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Howe are gone, our top end is gone. There will have to be dramatic improvement from a lot of players who were only medium draft picks for as to hold on, let alone start improving from then.
But I at least look forward to a fairly good 2022.

That's my view too. I wouldn't put a date on it though, as those three may be valuable players still in 2023. But I think it's unlikely that the kids will develop quickly enough to cover for those we're likely to lose over the next few years - particularly if you include the others on the wrong side of 28, so I don't think we'll bottom out for a while yet.

Quaynor, Roughead, Howe
Ruscoe, Moore, Maynard

Grundy, Adams, Pendlebury
J. Daicos, Lipinski, Crisp

Henry, Cameron, Mihocek
Elliott, Krueger, McCreery

Sidebottom, N. Daicos, Macrae, Dean/Noble
Sub: Hoskin-Elliott

Not going to get bogged down in the JDG situation, as it stands he's been stood down so until that's changed I've picked my 22 without him. Obviously when fit and eligible he's best 22 hands down.

The backline imo remains the best in the league (when fit) and will be interesting to watch which way the coaches go with Dean, Ruscoe and Noble. I think we'll see at least 2 of them (alongside the usual 5) so it could come down to form and match up with which 2 that is on any given week.

A fit and firing combo of Grundy, Adams and Pendlebury is still as good as any ruck/mid combo in the league. Crisp is a gun, who can slide into the back half if needs be and I think improvement from J. Daicos, Lipinski and Macrae will give us a really nice midfield mix.

The forward line will be intriguing, I can see the likes of Elliott, Ollie and Checkerz flourishing with two genuine KPF's alongside them i50. Kreuger excites me as a tall with good skills and mobility for a big man, and while Cameron isn't the most exciting KF going around he does his job well competing, taking contested marks and rarely being outmarked by an opposition. With a taller lineup i50 I rate Beau's tackling and pressure above Ginni's "better" scoring capabilities.

Safe to say I'm excited to see us with a talented young crop of players, and I look forward to watching their development over the next few years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back