• 34. Sam Philp

Votes: 27 16.8%
  • 36. Josh Honey

Votes: 50 31.1%
  • 44. Matthew Owies

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was watching the latest The Blue Abroad Show and an interesting discussion came up on 2022 Break Out Candidates.

So I thought why not throw up a poll :D

For me it comes down to who I think will have a BO year versus who I would like to have a BO year.
It's up to you though, you have three votes.

My thoughts are:
1. Kemp - he just has all the attributes. 2021 was about getting some trust back into his body. 2022 is about showing us how good he is.
2. TDK - he will have the opportunity to be the #1 ruckman for CFC - another year older, another year stronger - he is going to excel
3. Stoker - he just look ready to step up another gear.

Unfortunate to miss out - Honey - he really look good in the few games that he played. He looks like he enjoys playing and belongs out there

What are your thoughts and why?

BTW - I've excluded the more established players.
Now have a look at your best 22. Assuming with a new game plan, most of these established players playing to expected form...
then one, two or three of our Break Out players actually break out - Woweeee 2022 finals here we come :D

Jack Carroll & Sam Philp

Kemp will be next years Stocker. Cement himself in the 22, but it’ll mainly be glimpses of talent with a couple of statistically big games.

Stocker - will only play in the midfield and kill it.

Cerra - has so many gears to go up as a player. Will have more stoppage time at the Blues and continue to round out his game. Arguably the biggest ceiling of any player on our list.

Honey & Durdin. Lumping them together because I think their impact will be pretty similar. Suspect the general mould of our forwardline will be pretty different to years past. Voss has come from a system that leverages 4-5 small forwards (including part timers) and the competition is tracking in this direction.

Silvagni is certified best 22. He shouldn't be an option.

I voted Cunners Fisher Honey
Agree re JSOS. JSOS has already shown us what he has got... I suspect that is why he hasn't gotten any votes (and likewise for TDK not getting many votes...)

Selected 9 players, but only allows 3.
Kemp, ready to announce himself as a serious player. Starting the season in defence before expanding his repertoire when Marchy returns to his role as dominant intercepting third tall.
Fogarty, with a full pre season will play a year as a manic pressure forward, come high half forward and pinch hitting mid.
Durdin, to become the lynch pin of our new forward threat. With greater fitness the lad will lead the club, if not the league in forward half one percenters. His pressure is unparalleled. May run out of puff during season if not managed right, but will lead in a new era.

That’s the three I highlighted. Adding Honey to the list making up a new era of forward pressure. The talls and Martin rounding out an extremely potent forward line.
Expecting Matt Owies to unfortunately end up depth after he rewrote the model for our forwards with his focus. Products of the Power/ O’Keefe development group. Not sure where a hopefully rejuvenated Fisher and later Cuningham returning fit in, but expecting some impressive minutes there too.

Plus (working from the list)

Stocker to continue his rise as player and cult figure regardless of which role he lands with.
TDK to take another step to be on the cusp of greatness by season’s end. Pitto will be more effective than many give him credit for, making what so many describe as a weakness in to a strength. Mirkov will also be banging down the door by season’s end, making a major conundrum for selectors in 2023.
Kennedy to establish himself as a permanent fixture in one of the deepest midfield units in the competition.
Jack Carroll to smash down the door to find a spot and have to content himself with a spot on the wing with the engine room so full and effective. Would be a bonus if LOB silences the critics and makes another selection nightmare for the match committee.
Really wanting to add Sam Philp to the list. Expecting minimal opportunity to force him to expand his game to find a vacancy in the ones. May be forced to adapt to a role in defence if Stocker reverts to the midfield. Expecting a changing of the guard over the next couple of years with some staples being shifted (or shunted) for team balance potentially through no fault of their own.

The rise of the kids combined with the proper integration of our recent trades will make our best 22 a very difficult one to break in to. Cerra, Williams, Hewett and Saad are weapons, just need the general to consolidate the defensive lines before mounting a massive offensive.

I may have my Navy Blue glasses on, but just see so many ready to shine and make a mockery of the negativity that has proliferated on this board in recent times. With the development shackles off, there are so many “in the window”, with Vossy having the task of gelling them together to put us in the window for #17.

Agree re JSOS. JSOS has already shown us what he has got... I suspect that is why he hasn't gotten any votes (and likewise for TDK not getting many votes...)
SOS has shown us what he can contribute and does so most weeks - TDK is purely potential at this point and a fair way off that (IMO).

Selected 9 players, but only allows 3.
Kemp, ready to announce himself as a serious player. Starting the season in defence before expanding his repertoire when Marchy returns to his role as dominant intercepting third tall.
Fogarty, with a full pre season will play a year as a manic pressure forward, come high half forward and pinch hitting mid.
Durdin, to become the lynch pin of our new forward threat. With greater fitness the lad will lead the club, if not the league in forward half one percenters. His pressure is unparalleled. May run out of puff during season if not managed right, but will lead in a new era.

That’s the three I highlighted. Adding Honey to the list making up a new era of forward pressure. The talls and Martin rounding out an extremely potent forward line.
Expecting Matt Owies to unfortunately end up depth after he rewrote the model for our forwards with his focus. Products of the Power/ O’Keefe development group. Not sure where a hopefully rejuvenated Fisher and later Cuningham returning fit in, but expecting some impressive minutes there too.

Plus (working from the list)

Stocker to continue his rise as player and cult figure regardless of which role he lands with.
TDK to take another step to be on the cusp of greatness by season’s end. Pitto will be more effective than many give him credit for, making what so many describe as a weakness in to a strength. Mirkov will also be banging down the door by season’s end, making a major conundrum for selectors in 2023.
Kennedy to establish himself as a permanent fixture in one of the deepest midfield units in the competition.
Jack Carroll to smash down the door to find a spot and have to content himself with a spot on the wing with the engine room so full and effective. Would be a bonus if LOB silences the critics and makes another selection nightmare for the match committee.
Really wanting to add Sam Philp to the list. Expecting minimal opportunity to force him to expand his game to find a vacancy in the ones. May be forced to adapt to a role in defence if Stocker reverts to the midfield. Expecting a changing of the guard over the next couple of years with some staples being shifted (or shunted) for team balance potentially through no fault of their own.

The rise of the kids combined with the proper integration of our recent trades will make our best 22 a very difficult one to break in to. Cerra, Williams, Hewett and Saad are weapons, just need the general to consolidate the defensive lines before mounting a massive offensive.

I may have my Navy Blue glasses on, but just see so many ready to shine and make a mockery of the negativity that has proliferated on this board in recent times. With the development shackles off, there are so many “in the window”, with Vossy having the task of gelling them together to put us in the window for #17.
I love it!

now imagine how competitive spots would be for best 22 -what a great problem to have :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it depends on what you classify a 'break out'. How does one 'break out'?

Are we talking about players who will elevate themselves from a depth/peripheral player to a clear best 22 player?
Are we talking about players who will elevate themselves from clear best 22 to a top 10 player at the club?
Or are we talking simply that they have a career best year?

If the latter there's a genuine case for most to be considered capable of 'breaking out', except for Cuningham who will be on the comeback from a knee injury.

I guess it depends on what you classify a 'break out'. How does one 'break out'?

Are we talking about players who will elevate themselves from a depth/peripheral player to a clear best 22 player?
Are we talking about players who will elevate themselves from clear best 22 to a top 10 player at the club?
Or are we talking simply that they have a career best year?

If the latter there's a genuine case for most to be considered capable of 'breaking out', except for Cuningham who will be on the comeback from a knee injury.
You are right and I agree with all of that - nothing too scientific, just chatters in the off season :D

My take of a BO is exponential growth/ improvements; something beyond their current expected/ projected standard for next season.

So yeah, all of the above. It really depends on the player we are referring to.

If Kemp can be top 10 at our club, that’s a huge BO.

Went Stocker, Carroll and Kemp in the end. Wanted to select 8.

TDK, Honey, Durdin, Philp, Williamson being the others for me.

I think we already know what JSOS and Kennedy are about from 2021. I love both but do think they might be close to their ceilings.

Philp could be a real Voss type. Quick and aggressive. The forgotten man.

Cuningham, I would love to have a big year but not on the back of such a big injury.

So many variables and unknowns about 2022. Our players haven't exactly reacted well to change.

I'm just as interested in those that won't adapt as much as those who will.

1. Stocker
  2. Kemp
  3. Honey
  4. TDK
  5. Dow
  6. Durdin
In that order.

Stocker to become a B+ player next year with huge scope to be an A grader in 2023 and beyond

Kemp to become a solid B with scope to play at an A grade standard in late 2023/24

Honey to become a solid 30 goal a year forward

TDK to grow as a player but feel he's already broken out in the sense of the word as in he's known league wide now. Stardom awaits if he puts in the work and has some luck. The latter is why I rated him on this list at all.

I feel there may not be a single player on the list who benefits more from our new coaching staff than Dow.

Big fan of Durdin. Hoping to see more of him in 2022.

Others capable of being listed (Carroll, Philp, etc.) However, there's only 22 spots in the team and some will break out later due to dearth of opportunity.

Last edited:
Somehow I had to put Josh Honey. I know he didn't have a big 2021, but there is something about the way he presents himself...
I voted Honey too. Realistically Fisher has performed already at Best 18 level, he's just been down for awhile. But if he returns to his best form he'd already be ahead of most here.

Think people are going a little early on Kemp?

The kid has played 2 AFL matches. And is coming off a couple of pretty serious injuries. He is going to take some more time to really make his mark at AFL level.

Players like B. Goddard and Yeo (whom I think Kemp have a lot in common with) broke out in their fourth seasons. I'd put Kemp at least a season behind that schedule due to injuries.

I think the kid could be a superstar, but am cooling my jets for now.

TDK - will keep developing in the next 18 months and barring injury should really start to announce himself
Stocker - the formline is there, just needs the opportunity
Cuningham - was really starting to show some fantastic glimpses pre-injury, if he can fully recover and get his body right, he's a sneaky chance at breakout.
Honey (unable to vote) - I've been a fan since we drafted him and liked what I saw at senior level - with opportunity he's definately a chance

I think guys like Kemp, Carroll, Philp and Durdin will only be breakout chances if we have injuries which opens the door.

Think people are going a little early on Kemp?

The kid has played 2 AFL matches. And is coming off a couple of pretty serious injuries. He is going to take some more time to really make his mark at AFL level.

Players like B. Goddard and Yeo (whom I think Kemp have a lot in common with) broke out in their fourth seasons. I'd put Kemp at least a season behind that schedule due to injuries.

I think the kid could be a superstar, but am cooling my jets for now.
You're probably right. I still think he will play a couple of games in 2022 when we say WOW, we've gota real beauty here!.

Back