Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Jy Simpkin

Votes: 81 51.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be in 2022.
Gun to my head, I'd stick with Jack for 1 more. I reckon '22 could be another challenging year and I wouldn't give Jy the task of answering to it all year.

I'm not going to complain either way.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Gun to my head, I'd stick with Jack for 1 more. I reckon '22 could be another challenging year and I wouldn't give Jy the task of answering to it all year.

Was the same on Jack but I think the time has come for a changeover to Jy under Jack's mentorship.

I'm with you here. I think it's important to keep some continuity and stability in the on-field leadership department after all of our years of flux. New preseason programme, new game plan, new players and higher expectations are enough to deal with for our young group.

I also think Jack's off-field leadership is criminally underrated on this board. We've been through some years of absolute s**t and he has kept the playing group together with not a single required young player walking out on the club.

Was the same on Jack but I think the time has come for a changeover to Jy under Jack's mentorship.

Yeah might be the last year that Jack warrants a regular senior game if Perez and Goater come on.
So would be good business to do the handover while Jack is in the side.
From the outside looking in - it looks to me that Jy is a big driver in pushing guys to improve their fitness by his example.

There's a pretty noticeable generation gap at our club and from the outside looking in it appears that the younger generation look up to and relate to Simpkin more than they do Ziebell. If it went to a genuine vote, I'd be surprised if Simpkin didn't win.

I also agree that Ziebell only has a year or two left given the toll that his courageous playstyle would have had on his body, which means if you want Ziebell around to mentor Simpkin then you have to make the switch sooner than later. The club's hesitancy to offer Ziebell two years on his contract is also an indicator that the club is very aware that a cliff is fast approaching for Ziebell. In saying that I don't think there's a wrong decsion, I've made the case for Simpkin but there's plenty of great reasons for keeping the captaincy with Ziebell.

What's a crazy fact is that there's only seven players at the club who have been here longer than Simpkin.

I think the reason why Jy could and should be the captain in 22 is that now the list is so young, he is both experienced and dedicated enough but also young enough to really connect with the majority of the team.

Captain: Jy
Vice: JZ
Leadership group: LMac, Corr, Turner, Zurhaar

I think the reason why Jy could and should be the captain in 22 is that now the list is so young, he is both experienced and dedicated enough but also young enough to really connect with the majority of the team.

Captain: Jy
Vice: JZ
Leadership group: LMac, Corr, Turner, Zurhaar

Yeah I think Jy with the support of Lmac and JZ would be the way to go

There's a pretty noticeable generation gap at our club and from the outside looking in it appears that the younger generation look up to and relate to Simpkin more than they do Ziebell. If it went to a genuine vote, I'd be surprised if Simpkin didn't win.

I also agree that Ziebell only has a year or two left given the toll that his courageous playstyle would have had on his body, which means if you want Ziebell around to mentor Simpkin then you have to make the switch sooner than later. The club's hesitancy to offer Ziebell two years on his contract is also an indicator that the club is very aware that a cliff is fast approaching for Ziebell. In saying that I don't think there's a wrong decsion, I've made the case for Simpkin but there's plenty of great reasons for keeping the captaincy with Ziebell.

What's a crazy fact is that there's only seven players at the club who have been here longer than Simpkin.
What gives you the impression they look up to Jy more than JZ also what makes you think the club is very aware that a cliff is fast approaching. Hope its not just because they offered him a 1 year deal this time life most clubs do these day to some older players. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Captain - Jy with VC's JZ and LMac to provide that extra experience.

I would change tack though with the wider leadership group - ie its time to go to the next group of players that have been around a few years.

I would have CZ, Larkey, TT, LDU and BMac in this group to make a total leadership group of 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What gives you the impression they look up to Jy more than JZ also what makes you think the club is very aware that a cliff is fast approaching. Hope its not just because they offered him a 1 year deal this time life most clubs do these day to some older players. Interested to hear your thoughts.

From player interviews, social media and basically anything else, the younger players seem a lot closer to Jy Simpkin. Will Phillips as an example has been very vocal about Simpkin's influence and Jy's name came up a few times in the Q&A with the first year players last year.

A one year deal for your captain at 30 is certainly not a standard process. Two years would be the absolute minimum I would have thought. It's certainly not a positive indicator about how they view his longterm viability.

From player interviews, social media and basically anything else, the younger players seem a lot closer to Jy Simpkin. Will Phillips as an example has been very vocal about Simpkin's influence and Jy's name came up a few times in the Q&A with the first year players last year.

A one year deal for your captain at 30 is certainly not a standard process. Two years would be the absolute minimum I would have thought. It's certainly not a positive indicator about how they view his longterm viability.
How many years did he end up with though.

For those that think JZ should have another year I think it's worth considering that while Jack did start to find a little bit of form toward the end of the year, we should recognise that he is on his last legs and there are no guarantees that he will be able to provide on-field tutelage as part of the best 22 in 2023. I think we need to pull the trigger now.

Last edited:
Feel like JZ is perfect for another year. We need time to look at the youth to see who will lead this group - Phillips, Jy, JHF.

I think there's a reasonable case to have someone for a couple of years after JZ too - could be someone like Hugh Greenwood who I understand has very high training standards. Then we switch gears to one of the youngsters to signify a changing of the guard.

JZ has just finished 3rd in the B&F in his first season playing defence.

On track to get through a full pre season with no hiccups - which feels like it's been more an exception for JZ.

He will have just turned 31 at season start.

Do we really think he's now on the decline? Or that Goater or Perez will produce standards worthy of top 5 B&F finish?

For those that think JZ should have another year I think it's worth considering that while Jack did start to find a little bit of form toward the end of the year, we should recognise that he is on his last legs and there are no guarantees that he will be able to provide on-field tutelage as part of the best 22 in 2023. I think we need to pull the trigger now.
Last legs?

Yeah?

Nah.

Back