Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Co Captains with JZ and Jyza. Jyza would thrive as a captain. Ever since the incident when he tipped a few in and was cleaned up by a motorbike he has pulled his head right in. He has come back to the club in terrific nick. He boosts morale around the club and keeps young fellas heads up on the track. Give him the job full time 2023 but co captain next year

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Co Captains with JZ and Jyza. Jyza would thrive as a captain. Ever since the incident when he tipped a few in and was cleaned up by a motorbike he has pulled his head right in. He has come back to the club in terrific nick. He boosts morale around the club and keeps young fellas heads up on the track. Give him the job full time 2023 but co captain next year
He really could have gone either way at that point. Credit to him that he has become the leader he is today in such a short period of time.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's in the twilight of his career - there is no denying that. There are no guarantees beyond this point for him
well apart from a 2 year contract :cool:

JZ for me. I think he's earnt the right for another year. As others have said keeping the playing group together and united especially after the start we had last season speaks volumes to me of his leadership

roos 10

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne

JZ for me. I think he's earnt the right for another year. As others have said keeping the playing group together and united especially after the start we had last season speaks volumes to me of his leadership
JZ and jy captains
Lmac greenwood and turner vice

teethmeetsflesh

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Being contracted does mean you just get a game if you start falling off. To be clear, I'm not saying that I think JZ is done (he's having a renaissance) - I'm just saying that he is at the stage of his career when he is more prone to having it end quickly and you'd rather have a captaincy transition when the former is able to support the appointed on the field rather than just off it.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just want to put in more than my two cents for Jack Ziebell.

Seems to me - how do you get through 3 incredibly tough seasons (one spent mostly in a mental health ruining bubble, when playing at all) with massive turnover of coaches, staff, and players, and still have a playing group where no one actually wants to leave, the culture and attitude of the players excellent and improvement is gradual but noticeable? Good leadership is how, and that starts with the captain.

The thing that stuck out to me about 2020 was that there were 4 clubs at the bottom of the ladder that year - us, Hawthorn, Sydney and Adelaide. 2 were in the bubble - us and Hawthorn. Hawthorn had one of the most experienced and successful coaches in history at the helm. We had a first year coach who (quite fairly, but unfortunately) found it too hard. And the club didn't get the support levels right either. Yet the playing group stuck fat and toughed it out. What little grumbling there might have been was bloody minuscule given the situation. That requires leadership to keep everything from falling apart. The club and the coach couldn't offer that, so I'll bet it was Jack and the rest of the leadership group that kept things from going pear-shaped. That's ******* shinboner spirit, right there.

We haven't had internal rumblings, off field scandals (other than some really minor stuff), players breaking up into cliques (especially likely with a young group - see Gold Coast), senior players behaving like idiots (see Fev at Brisbane) , lay down sallies (see Carlton) or any of that.

What we've seen over the last 18 months is a playing group that has been underdone, overinjured, too young and undercoached (not badly coached, just too many of them), stick fat and build up some self-belief through adversity. That requires quality leadership from within the playing group, and that starts with the captain.
On a personal level, he's had to eat a big slice of humble pie being put in defence. He won't have missed the not so subtle message that is putting the captain in the back pocket cos he's a liability everywhere else... What has he done? Been a man about it, not cracked the sads as many would (cough Polec cough) and is probably playing some of the best footy of his career. That too is leadership. He's sent a big message to the playing group, especially to the kids, that no-one from the captain down is bigger than the club (in case they were wondering).

I'm more proud of this playing group than any playing group North has had since...possibly forever. This forum has been talking excitedly about all these talented kids on our list, and those kids have been talking excitedly about the club. Who can forget Will Phillips tugging the jumper when he kicked his first goal? Yet if these kids came into a club full of internal divisions and cliques and poor morale (see Melbourne not that long ago), then those kids will quickly develop the mercenary mindset and be on their way out the door quicker than you can say "contract negotiation". That's not the prevailing mentality at Arden Street, as instead we have kids excitedly signing back on way before they need to. They want to be here. That kind of culture comes from leadership. Which starts with...you guessed it.

It all starts with the Captain. I reckon Jack has had his fingerprints over every reason we're bloody excited about the future of this football club, and he doesn't get anywhere enough credit for it.

So personally - based on the last 3 years, Jack has more than earned the right to captain the club for as long as he bloody well wants, and I fully trust him to know when it ends. And in my mind, the one remaining thing he needs to be declared the greatest captain this club has had is to lift that Cup - and I bloody well hope he gets to.

When this fictional novel is released in full, please send us a signed copy!

When this fictional novel is released in full, please send us a signed copy!

I reckon I bother coming on here maybe a couple of times a month, and make maybe a dozen posts a year, due to smart alec garbage like this post.

Just drives people away.

HELLSBELLS

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2007
VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I reckon I bother coming on here maybe a couple of times a month, and make maybe a dozen posts a year, due to smart alec garbage like this post.

Just drives people away.

I'm with Gaso !

Was a great post hence the likes.

I've agreed with that poster once but they are mostly is known for being a total peanut and having not a clue what they are on about.

Ignore and post more astrovic !

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Just drives people away.

Good. If they don’t like humour, or smart Alec responses, then perhaps stick with ABC News radio or even better, why not try the chess club at Greek School on Sunday’s. I hear that’s a ******* blast.

Just for the record, it was a good post, I just don’t agree with it - if we all agreed on every subject, it would be an incredibly boring place to spend a few hours or in your case a few moments every now and again.

You should start a WhatsApp group where you can discuss everything with your friends who agree with everything and not have to deal with reality, ie real world scenario where some people have differing opinions and beliefs.

Post more, from this day forward I promise not to reply to you, like your posts or even read your posts.

This place is character building.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Granting that our heads do become a bit of an echo chamber without any new information coming in, I feel more strongly that a new captain should be appointed for 2022.

It's no discredit to Jack. I love him and he's a fantastic guy. But I think Noble has had a year with the group now and should annoint a younger skipper to ride sidesaddle with him to set a new on-field culture into a successful era.

Most successful coaches I can think of have stamped their imprimatur on the group via a new choice of captain - Pagan, Blight, Clarkson etc.

I lean towards Jy but Luke Mc has a lot of upside as a skipper too. The risk with him is his own best 22 position.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Granting that our heads do become a bit of an echo chamber without any new information coming in, I feel more strongly that a new captain should be appointed for 2022.

It's no discredit to Jack. I love him and he's a fantastic guy. But I think Noble has had a year with the group now and should annoint a younger skipper to ride sidesaddle with him to set a new on-field culture into a successful era.

Most successful coaches I can think of have stamped their imprimatur on the group via a new choice of captain - Pagan, Blight, Clarkson etc.

I lean towards Jy but Luke Mc has a lot of upside as a skipper too. The risk with him is his own best 22 position.

I think it has to be Jy. He is name dropped by pretty much every young player and I think LMac should be VC.

JZ still in leadership group and to act as support for the two of them.

Everyone who has been draft or traded post 2016 would undoubtedly see Jy as the next captain.

Like you said, the new era should start in 2022

Digby Morals

Rookie
Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think you can go wrong with either Jack/Jy/LMac.

LMac bleeds blue and white and deserved on culture but Jy's leadership qualities appear to be the way to go. If LMac does get voted I think it would be as a transition to Jy and a recognition of service. Much the same way as Boomer was captain between Simmo and Swallow.

No matter which you look at it, a great position to be in. If it were my call I'd give Jack one more year to allow Jy to focus on his role and make Jy captain the year after.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Jack/Jy/LMac.

LMac bleeds blue and white and deserved on culture but Jy's leadership qualities appear to be the way to go. If LMac does get voted I think it would be as a transition to Jy and a recognition of service. Much the same way as Boomer was captain between Simmo and Swallow.

No matter which you look at it, a great position to be in. If it were my call I'd give Jack one more year to allow Jy to focus on his role and make Jy captain the year after.
All 3 worthy and I could see a co captain situation with 2 of them. But like you said can’t go wrong with any 1 of them

would assume we have this sorted out before end of jan

Another year with Jack as captain to see out the rebuild and give it to Jy in 2023 when we should be on the rise.
Stay with Jack ,but if Jy is progressing well maybe do a change after the bye....and let Jy captain the last half of the season...

Just make the change now if you’re thinking about that
l'm not saying do it but if the club and Jack see it that Jy , going by his performance up to date. could become captain for the remainder of the season. Naturally you wouldn't tell Jy but keep on observing him both on and off the field l think it would be a boost to the club and players alike . We are the club that always has ideas from left field so why not this one... its better than the co-captains idea..

Back