Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
It's easy enough to say that everyone has been a great captain, but I'd be interested to see where people would rank Ziebell out of 12 among our captains over the past 50 years.

David Dench, Barry Davis, Keith Greig, Wayne Schimmelbusch, John Law, Matthew Larkin, Wayne Carey, Anthony Stevens, Adam Simpson, Brent Harvey, Andrew Swallow and Jack Ziebell.

Happy to defer to those with a better memory of some of the older players on that list, but my instinct would be to have Ziebell comfortably in the bottom four. 35-69-1 record and no finals as captain, one of two wooden spoons over this period, and one of two players on that list to never win a best and fairest.
Make a Thread

Yeah 6 years still does not change much as i said players must think he makes a good Captain other wise they would and could easily vote someone else in.
Like who? He was the only realistic option, tho it looks like Jy will be next.

Its actually only five years as well. Including two with covid and two with new coaches - one where we sacked the coach. If he goes around again 2022 will be his sixth year as captain. Chaotic years.

IF there is any morale in the playing group (and there seems to be heaps,) then he has alot to do with it.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Derby County FC
Jy knows he’s the heir apparent and so does the rest of the club, he already leads in all but name and doesn’t strike me as the type to cut the legs out from underneath Ziebs.

I’m interested to see whether Jack’s preference is to retire as captain or to step down after ‘22 or ‘23 letting Jy take over and playing out his remaining career as an on field leader.

Phillips has his eye on the top job too IMO, we’ve done a great job identifying leadership qualities in our draftees.

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thinking about it a different way and removing the passing of time a little bit— I would hand over the Jy while the club still has a decent climb ahead, not when everything is cushy.
The other thought I have is that if you knew for argument sake that JZ had two years left, and in the second year we played in a GF, would you hand over the captaincy now OR leave it to reward JZ?

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Thinking about it a different way and removing the passing of time a little bit— I would hand over the Jy while the club still has a decent climb ahead, not when everything is cushy.
The other thought I have is that if you knew for argument sake that JZ had two years left, and in the second year we played in a GF, would you hand over the captaincy now OR leave it to reward JZ?
Jack has been an absolute warrior for our great club (love him and Cunners equally) and he‘s been a very good captain through some pretty ordinary times, but I agree we’re in a new phase now.

From afar, it looks like the plethora of young talent we’re building seem to be attaching themselves to Jy. He’s setting the tone on and off the field and is probably ready for the added pressure involved with the top job.

Also, I think Jack should be allowed to play out his career with the captaincy pressure off and just enjoy his final years as a professional athlete - he’s earned it.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Skippers of losing teams always get rated worse. If Brad Scott ever set up that long period of success that he would bullshit about so much then I think Jack would be rated much higher.

Well gee he's an easy target our old mate B.S. He was only a quarter way into setting up the set up for long term success. Wasn't his fault we jumped the gun and terminated his services after oh about 3,650 days.

Just let your mind wander to a parallel universe where Scott and & Joyce stayed on...

Boomerfan99

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nuggets
Excluding his current health situation, any idea why Cunners was never made captain? Appreciate he is shy and softly spoken, but I would go to war for someone like Cunners. JZ not so much.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Like who? He was the only realistic option, tho it looks like Jy will be next.

Its actually only five years as well. Including two with covid and two with new coaches - one where we sacked the coach. If he goes around again 2022 will be his sixth year as captain. Chaotic years.

IF there is any morale in the playing group (and there seems to be heaps,) then he has alot to do with it.
Tarrant Cunnas why where not options in your opinion Goldy enough options in my opinion.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well gee he's an easy target our old mate B.S. He was only a quarter way into setting up the set up for long term success. Wasn't his fault we jumped the gun and terminated his services after oh about 3,650 days.

Just let your mind wander to a parallel universe where Scott and & Joyce stayed on...
Scott made 2 prelims and a few other finals. Noble in most peoples views believe we have a much better list so if he does not get us either into a GF or win a Flag were will he stand in your opinion and how long do you tend to give him to do this before starting to question how thing are going.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He really could have gone either way at that point. Credit to him that he has become the leader he is today in such a short period of time.
That was credit to a few blokes on the track. JZ, Cunners, Missy, Goldy and Anderson. Jed has had a monster impact on Jy. Without these heads around him, who bloody knows. We are blessed to have good solid heads around the club. Jy is now a solid head IMO

Eggs11

All Australian
Jul 18, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Excluding his current health situation, any idea why Cunners was never made captain? Appreciate he is shy and softly spoken, but I would go to war for someone like Cunners. JZ not so much.

I hear that sometimes the captain is required to actually speak.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Scott made 2 prelims and a few other finals. Noble in most peoples views believe we have a much better list so if he does not get us either into a GF or win a Flag were will he stand in your opinion and how long do you tend to give him to do this before starting to question how thing are going.

There isn't a simple answer. But further questions. Why is our list better now? Why was our fitness below standard? Why was the bar set so low that it was a tripping hazard?

IF and if Noble can get us top 4 I'll be happy, from there cross your fingers. Yes for sure the list is better, Scott was happy to bring over shitmen from other clubs to keep us of the bottom. We now seem to have a sound methodology and yeah we can't ask for more than that.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There isn't a simple answer. But further questions. Why is our list better now? Why was our fitness below standard? Why was the bar set so low that it was a tripping hazard?

IF and if Noble can get us top 4 I'll be happy, from there cross your fingers. Yes for sure the list is better, Scott was happy to bring over shitmen from other clubs to keep us of the bottom. We now seem to have a sound methodology and yeah we can't ask for more than that.
What players are you referring to as shitman that Scott bought over. Still finishing top 4 means nothing if we dont win a flag just ask Brisbane. I think we can and should ask for more considering our list at the moment. If we dont make it further than the Prelim we have achieved no more than when Scott was in charge just by finishing top 4 and Scott and co never did does not mean they have achieved more. Thats my point of view anyway right or wrong. Lets hope he can go further than Scott did and get us that flag that we all want.

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That was credit to a few blokes on the track. JZ, Cunners, Missy, Goldy and Anderson. Jed has had a monster impact on Jy. Without these heads around him, who bloody knows. We are blessed to have good solid heads around the club. Jy is now a solid head IMO
Agree but if Jy didn't want it himself it wouldn't have mattered who was talking to him. Agree he is a solid head and a gun mid, we are blessed to have him

Back