• Jy Simpkin

Votes: 81 51.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Lmac is not being talked about enough

leader type all through his juniors, Captained Vic metro, trinity grammar etc

extroverted and one that is also constantly mentioned as being an influence on younger players

also the fact he bleeds blue and white can’t be understated

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
I reckon Lmac is not being talked about enough

leader type all through his juniors, Captained Vic metro, trinity grammar etc

extroverted and one that is also constantly mentioned as being an influence on younger players

also the fact he bleeds blue and white can’t be understated

To much of a larrikin and is everyone’s mate.
Perfect to be 2IC - crack jokes and comfort others in the down times

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers

Capt - Jy Simpkin
V Capt - Luke McDonald
Dep V Capt - Ben Cunnington
Dep V Capt - Ben McKay

I like Jack and he's clearly a natural leader, who has adapted well to the changes to the team, coach, and his own role, and on one hand, I would be happy for him to continue for at least one more year as Captain. On the other hand, however, I feel that this team won't be going anywhere fast until a new captain is appointed who will take us to a new era. But without being inside the four walls of the football club it's impossible to know if Jy is that person (and if so, whether he's ready) or if anyone else is. It requires some intangible qualities that only the insiders would know about.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just in case i missed something , do clubs tend to name their Captain every single year? Even if said Cpt is continuing in the role?

If the answer is they don't, well then there is the answer to who will be our leader in 2022. And the right choice it is as well.

Dec 7, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just in case i missed something , do clubs tend to name their Captain every single year? Even if said Cpt is continuing in the role?

If the answer is they don't, well then there is the answer to who will be our leader in 2022. And the right choice it is as well.

I think generally teams still announce their leadership group and captain for the upcoming season regardless of any changes.

There is absolutely no rush in my opinion and making an announcement now or in a few weeks doesn't impact us, the lads, or their ability to play football any better or worse. It will certainly be interesting to see who steps in/out of the leadership group, I personally would love to see another young gun step into the leadership group, Philips is one that comes to mind as I think exposing him into that aspect of the team would be a benefit in the long run, although I could also make the case for him to not be in that group, as to let him develop his footy without the added responsibility.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think generally teams still announce their leadership group and captain for the upcoming season regardless of any changes.

There is absolutely no rush in my opinion and making an announcement now or in a few weeks doesn't impact us, the lads, or their ability to play football any better or worse. It will certainly be interesting to see who steps in/out of the leadership group, I personally would love to see another young gun step into the leadership group, Philips is one that comes to mind as I think exposing him into that aspect of the team would be a benefit in the long run, although I could also make the case for him to not be in that group, as to let him develop his footy without the added responsibility.

I think we'd let Philips just ply his trade without the burden of leadership responsibilities. I think all players are understanding the level of expected conduct now anyways.

The days of ******* around with a semi-professional attitude are gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would love to see Jy get the captaincy this year.
From all reports it’s almost a fait accompli he will be our next captain, it’s just a matter of when.

From the outside looking in, he looks ready & has all the attributes to make a great captain.

It would signal a new era, where our young guys are ready to drive this club forward.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1 more year for capt jack and then he hands it over to the next generation in 2023

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would love to see Jy get the captaincy this year.
From all reports it’s almost a fait accompli he will be our next captain, it’s just a matter of when.

From the outside looking in, he looks ready & has all the attributes to make a great captain.

It would signal a new era, where our young guys are ready to drive this club forward.
Really good point, he would have JZ as a vice with Turner and LMac

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like Jack and he's clearly a natural leader, who has adapted well to the changes to the team, coach, and his own role, and on one hand, I would be happy for him to continue for at least one more year as Captain. On the other hand, however, I feel that this team won't be going anywhere fast until a new captain is appointed who will take us to a new era. But without being inside the four walls of the football club it's impossible to know if Jy is that person (and if so, whether he's ready) or if anyone else is. It requires some intangible qualities that only the insiders would know about.
What do you mean when you say the team wont be going anywhere if he is Capt.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Love Jack but still feel we need a change of energy top down to complement the changes throughout management and coaching.

Reminds me of Boomer handing over to Swallow for 2012. A change of guard worked well in spite of Boomer being a strong role model and gun player still.
Totally agree and i am sure Noble Jack and company will make that call when they think the time is right.

I dont know that is why i asked the question
Yeah fair enough.

I was just taking the piss out of the question.

Even last year we 'went somewhere" under Jack's leadership.

And we finished last. But we showed significant improvement over the year, not hard I guess considering where we started, but given that situation and that we still seem to have great morale and belief in the direction we are going, then we went somewhere under jack's leadership last year and will again this year. (Or under Jy if he takes over.) Jack deserves some credit for keeping that morale high. With shithouse leadership that positive attitude to the future wouldn't be there.

And thinking about that...

I wouldn't mind seeing Jack captain us one more year because he should be given the opportunity to not finish up as captain on the bottom of the ladder.

I dunno how he'd go doing that tho.

If he's approaching this pre season with a "Last in 2021 isn't good enough. We need to bust our balls to be better" and driving the group by training harder than he ever has then I think its even more important we give him the gig.

Back