2022 Carji Greeves Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

The complete opposite for me this year he dropped the dinky little run around the back one two cheapies got forward of the ball created options going forward and kicked a few goals over all by doing that most of his stats decreased but he became a better player far more dangerous and it's payed off with the 2022 Carji and well deserved.

That's an excellent observation - you've actually convinced me to look at his season in a slightly different light tbh.

I thought maybe he was a bit better in 2020, but the quality of his possessions has maybe improved, as you say; getting the ball in slightly better spots and making the opposition hurt when he is given a millimeter of space.

In the same way that I have a real spot of pity for Peter Riccardi retiring just before our golden era you’d have to wonder if Harvey could have held on for one more year if it would have been enough for st Kilda to win in 2009. He was still getting 21 touches a game and he was a beautiful user by foot - something they lacked in that epic grand final against us

Agree with you about the unfortunate timing of Riccardi's career; played in 3 losing GFs and then just missed a flag by one year - he was one of my favourites too, great career.

Robert Harvey's skills by foot were nothing special though - champion player with a couple of elite qualities (endurance, and definitely had a ''shimmy'') but his kicking - particularly earlier in his career - could be a bit wasteful.

Me too. He really improved that this year.
’‘ Run and gun footy’ and mid ruckrover role was the perfect antidote.
Also got less twitchy with set shots
The opposition not knowing if Blicavs is going to be rucking, close checking an oppo mid, attacking stoppage for a clearance or sitting a kick behind the play is actually hilarious. And then post stoppage he'll either run forward hard to create a ridiculous mismatch, or back to create an extra defender when oppo want to go down the line.

He's always had these abilities and played well, hence the two best and fairests, but it came together so nicely with his role this year. Also as people said, the fumbles or slowness releasing the ball got rectified. The Collingwood final I worried a bit but given how big the two follow up matches were and how he played I rate them as two of the finest of his career.

While I don’t disagree with some of the points you make, I never understand why anyone makes pointed reference to ‘cheap give and go’ handballs.

The whole point of them is that the giver makes himself harder to tackle for the opposition (you know, because he’s no longer in possession).

He finds a teammate who is free and can’t get tackled because of that isolation, but he is also stationary so in no position to get and go. The giver continues his momentum and runs, receives the ball back again usually free of attention from the opposition, and advances the ball upfield with less pressure and as a result, usually more precision.

When you get a handful of players doing this together in sync, you can advance the ball half the length of the field in the blink of an eye without ever risking possession.

It's probably more about the obsession with possession totals. Turns a practical tactic into a controversy.

While I don’t disagree with some of the points you make, I never understand why anyone makes pointed reference to ‘cheap give and go’ handballs.

The whole point of them is that the giver makes himself harder to tackle for the opposition (you know, because he’s no longer in possession).

He finds a teammate who is free and can’t get tackled because of that isolation, but he is also stationary so in no position to get and go. The giver continues his momentum and runs, receives the ball back again usually free of attention from the opposition, and advances the ball upfield with less pressure and as a result, usually more precision.

When you get a handful of players doing this together in sync, you can advance the ball half the length of the field in the blink of an eye without ever risking possession.

Yes you're spot on here PhatBoy - the ''give and go'' needn't be synonymous with ''cheap'' possessions - think of the classic Pick 'n Roll in Basketball, similar type of bread and butter play.
Like the way you worded dat explanation!

Hi, I had a bet with a mate that Zuthrie would be top 20 in the Carji. Does anyone know who 11 - 20 are in the Carji medal race for 2022?

I still rate Duncan over Guthrie

There are more Guthries then there are Duncans
Each to his own.
Duncan is slowing down, getting caught more, but each at their very best, I'd take Cam easily.
His last 3 years are certainly stellar, in most peoples opinions- AA, twice B&F.
Luckily we have them both and don't need to choose.

Hi, I had a bet with a mate that Zuthrie would be top 20 in the Carji. Does anyone know who 11 - 20 are in the Carji medal race for 2022?
=01. Cameron (113)
=01. C. Guthrie (113
03. Blicavs (104)
04. Hawkins (98)
05. Stengle (97)
06. Atkins (94)
07. Tuohy (93)
08. Close (79)
09. De Koning (77)
10. Stewart (76)
11. Selwood (75)
=12. Smith (62)
=12 Dangerfield (62)
14. Holmes (51)
15. Duncan (44)
16. Miers (32)
17. Parfitt (31)
18. Z. Guthrie (30)
=19. Stanley (26)
=19. Henry (26)

In the same way that I have a real spot of pity for Peter Riccardi retiring just before our golden era you’d have to wonder if Harvey could have held on for one more year if it would have been enough for st Kilda to win in 2009. He was still getting 21 touches a game and he was a beautiful user by foot - something they lacked in that epic grand final against us
Harvey was an absolute liability for St Kilda for the last few years of his career, he was a passenger big time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

=01. Cameron (113)
=01. C. Guthrie (113
03. Blicavs (104)
04. Hawkins (98)
05. Stengle (97)
06. Atkins (94)
07. Tuohy (93)
08. Close (79)
09. De Koning (77)
10. Stewart (76)
11. Selwood (75)