2022 Carji Greeves Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Graham Farmer all over again - identical to what he did re the bolded

And also wore no 5 and was a left foot kick and won the B/F in that 2nd ( flag winnng ) year
Let’s hope coincidences stop there and Jezza’s career at Geelong doesn’t end the same way Polly’s did

Remember how one of the massive issues on this board for years was whether or not Cam Guthrie was a good player?
I was just thinking the same. I was always a supporter of Cam, from the early days. I remember in that horrific final down at Kardinia Park against Freo, he was by far the most composed player for Geelong, as a young player, and in an under-siege back line. I knew he was a keeper then.

Remember how one of the massive issues on this board for years was whether or not Cam Guthrie was a good player?
When fit I suspect he has always been a good player, but he needs to be right in the thick of it. I recon he could get a bit lost, about half a kick away from play, when playing more of an outside type role.

I was just thinking the same. I was always a supporter of Cam, from the early days. I remember in that horrific final down at Kardinia Park against Freo, he was by far the most composed player for Geelong, as a young player, and in an under-siege back line. I knew he was a keeper then.

He was outstanding through that whole 2013 finals series. Was only 21 but he played well in all three games.

Yes.

There was that one poster whose entire identity seemed to be based around potting Guthrie, regularly accusing him of being soft.

There were ludicrous assertions from a number of posters around Guthrie’s hair style and the fact that he briefly worked part-time in an Ice-Cream shop. Ridiculous.

He’s one player I’ve always liked and never really doubted - despite some admittedly patchy form a couple of years ago.

His GF last Saturday doesn’t particularly stand out on paper, but he was great - Sydney’s 2022 AA and B&F winning captain Callum Mills was sitting on him in the 1st half; pretty hard tag from one of the comp’s better players.
Guthrie was utterly unfazed; just continued to work hard and back his skill and experience to great effect.

Has a great knack of straightening us up through the middle when in transition, and his fast, flat kicks have more revolutions than a Chipmunks record.

Last edited:
Yes.

There was that one poster whose entire identity seemed to be based around potting Guthrie, regularly accusing him of being soft.

There were ludicrous assertions from a number of posters around Guthrie’s hair style and the fact that he briefly worked part-time in an Ice-Cream shop. Ridiculous.

He’s one player I’ve always liked and never really doubted - despite some admittedly patchy form a couple of years ago.

His GF last Saturday doesn’t particularly stand out on paper, but he was great - Sydney’s 2022 AA and B&F winning captain Callum Mills was sitting on him in the 1st half; pretty hard tag from one of the comp’s better players.
Guthrie was utterly unfazed; just continued to work hard and back his skill and experience to great effect.

Sometimes in the past I have felt he would look to get a few too many cheap pos. At his best he is a goal kicking mid.. changes him imo to a more damaging player. Now 2 Carji's .... makes him a special player for us now.

Blitz stiff , I think his year was as good as any ..... but then again..you just never know what some players thru and what they have been asked to do. GA sr...only ever won 1 ... so I feel it a lot about team role .. Congrats to both players

Yes.

Has a great knack of straightening us up through the middle when in transition, and his fast, flat kicks have more revolutions than a Chipmunks record.
Yeah the criticism from some was way overblown and then also never corrected once he lifted to borderline elite.

As people said in 2013 as a defender he was great. 2014 was a little quiet but 2015-2016 he was breaking out as a great mid option. However, frustratingly his progress stalled for a few years. Not all his own fault, but he got shoved out into secondary roles - "running patterns", bob up here and there, track the opposition etc. 2017 and 2018 felt disappointing. 2019 was the path to recovery where he started adding important goals, but his involvement still lacked at times (probably due to Kelly, Selwood and Danger being such priorities - and Duncan really took off again then as well). 2020 onwards he was more of a main player, given that responsibility and absolutely excelled. Lifted a few gears in consistency, influence and leadership. A vital part of the Cats becoming a more well rounded team with plenty of contributers.

So I don't think ALL of the criticism was invalid. But he's had 6 bloody good years in his journey as an AFL footballer, that now include B&Fs in years we came runner up and premiers. He's fulfilled his potential and fought hard to have not just a good, but an excellent career.

Yeah the criticism from some was way overblown and then also never corrected once he lifted to borderline elite.

As people said in 2013 as a defender he was great. 2014 was a little quiet but 2015-2016 he was breaking out as a great mid option. However, frustratingly his progress stalled for a few years. Not all his own fault, but he got shoved out into secondary roles - "running patterns", bob up here and there, track the opposition etc. 2017 and 2018 felt disappointing. 2019 was the path to recovery where he started adding important goals, but his involvement still lacked at times (probably due to Kelly, Selwood and Danger being such priorities - and Duncan really took off again then as well). 2020 onwards he was more of a main player, given that responsibility and absolutely excelled. Lifted a few gears in consistency, influence and leadership. A vital part of the Cats becoming a more well rounded team with plenty of contributers.

So I don't think ALL of the criticism was invalid. But he's had 6 bloody good years in his journey as an AFL footballer, that now include B&Fs in years we came runner up and premiers. He's fulfilled his potential and fought hard to have not just a good, but an excellent career.

No, I agree that some of the criticism was warranted - but the personal stuff was unnecessary (and stupid/rude).

The fact the only Geelong members who got to livestream this event where the ones who paid two hundred dollars to sit in a room next to the Carji is entering Hunger Games levels of dystopian classicism. Embarrassing decision from the Cats.

You can't talk ad nausea about how grateful you are for Geelong members and then refuse to back those words up with actions. You've just excluded over 70,200 members from our Best and Fairest night. I don't care what anyone says that is nowhere near good enough.

The fact a fan account had to give a running commentary of the night and not the official Geelong twitter is also poor. In saying that brilliant work by that fan twitter account to keep everyone in the loop. That's the real Geelong spirit there.

Bare minimum effort from the Cats. Not a fan of this level of elitism at all, especially considering a lot of people in Geelong live below the poverty line and still manage to pony up membership money for themselves and their kids each year.

Sometimes in the past I have felt he would look to get a few too many cheap pos. At his best he is a goal kicking mid.. changes him imo to a more damaging player. Now 2 Carji's .... makes him a special player for us now.

Blitz stiff , I think his year was as good as any ..... but then again..you just never know what some players thru and what they have been asked to do. GA sr...only ever won 1 ... so I feel it a lot about team role .. Congrats to both players

Personally I thought this was Blicavs best season, Turbo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact the only Geelong members who got to livestream this event where the ones who paid two hundred dollars to sit in a room next to the Carji is entering Hunger Games levels of dystopian classicism. Embarrassing decision from the Cats.

You can't talk ad nausea about how grateful you are for Geelong members and then refuse to back those words up with actions. You've just excluded over 70,200 members from our Best and Fairest night. I don't care what anyone says that is nowhere near good enough.

The fact a fan account had to give a running commentary of the night and not the official Geelong twitter is also poor. In saying that brilliant work by that fan twitter account to keep everyone in the loop. That's the real Geelong spirit there.

Bare minimum effort from the Cats. Not a fan of this level of elitism at all, especially considering a lot of people in Geelong live below the poverty line and still manage to pony up membership money for themselves and their kids each year.
I don’t think charging people hundreds of dollars to attend in person in the actual room with the players and then letting everyone else watch it for free on a livestream would work. The live attendance would drop away.

Oh right this was like "Get a haircut Guthrie you girl!" or "back to Cold Rock you softy!". People can be rather odd (to put it nicely) sometimes.

Exactly.

See also: some of the vicious criticism Luke Dahlhaus got as his form declined. I was certainly a critic of Luke’s and wanted him out of the side, but it needn’t get personal nor nasty. Anyway …

The Carji Greeves medal night has certainly changed since the old days (mid sixties.) I remember going along with my family to a room in the Jack Jennings pavilion at Kardinia Park. The night was free and anyone could go but it must have been a well kept secret as not all that many supporters turned up. I think you had to be a member but I don't remember showing my membership ticket. I was the youngest kid there and some of the players and their wives said hello to me. I remember Bill Goggin calling me "mate." I must have had the same expression on my face as Sammy when Joel invitied him to climb over the fence and join the team.

Personally I thought this was Blicavs best season, Turbo.

Its a copycat league they say... and this year its the cats they are looking to see if they can copy. The tactical advantage Blitz gives us will be very hard to copy.

Been so consistent for so long... for a guys who I though might not play a game...has become a champ. Would have to at least be in the discussion for the capt. role

With another award to Guthrie the Duncan v Guthrie debate becomes more interesting.
Duncan would just about be the greatest Geelong player to never win an individual award. Duncan's had more years at a high level than Guthrie so beats him on consistency - pretty much every year since 2012 or 2013 he's been very good. Cam's best has been better but Duncan hasn't had as much time as a stoppage midfielder where attention is inevitably drawn. As a wingman he's been elite, but it's so rare for a classic wingman to get AA selection. I thought he was superb at half back this season but he didn't get too much praise. Still, it's hard to go past a double best and fairest (in years where we won the flag and were runners up). Cop out but I'd call it a tie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back