Prediction 2022 Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane match bid

Brisbane pay 2400 points
Loose - Picks 34, 35, 36, 38, 55, 73 and go into deficit 153 points 2023 draft

Will Ashcroft

182cm/78kg
Midfielder

Ashcroft finished his season in the same fashion he played throughout it, with a best-on-ground performance in Sandringham's NAB League Grand Final win with 39 disposals, six clearances and six inside-50s before then winning the Larke Medal as the best player across the national carnival. It was a complete draft campaign for the driven youngster, who is sure to step into Brisbane's starting 18 next year and make an immediate impact. Would be the first ever father-son who attracts a bid at No.1 if it goes that way in November.

Thanks Cal Twomey

esoteric you're up

Last edited:
So I have the honour of taking the first live pick in the 2022 AFL National Draft, on behalf of GWS.

“… rare KPF talent …”

“… very good scope for development …”

“… genuine star KPF potential… “

“… worth the No. 1 pick…”

All these words can be found in the draft profile of … Jack Watts

In 2004, Richmond famously selected Richard Tambling at pick 4, one spot ahead of Buddy Franklin. Professional recruiters seem to have been scarred by that howler ever since, as there is a long and sad history of relatively underwhelming talls being taken with pick 1 or 2, while true star prospects had to wait their turn lower down the order.

Scott Gumbleton (2006 pick 2) went before Joel Selwood.

Matty Kreuzer (2007#1) went before Cotchin and Dangerfield

Jack Watts (2008#2) before Rich and Sidebottom

Jonathan Patton (2011#1) before Docherty and Taylor Adams

Jesse Hogan (2012#2 effectively) before Whitfield and Macrae

Tom Boyd (2013#1) before Josh Kelly, Bont and oh yeah, Cripps

McCartin (2014#1) before Petracca

Weitering (2015#1) and Schache (2015#2) before Mills, Oliver and Parish

That’s a long list of misses (although some have been pretty handy players)… and there hasn’t been a single hit for a tall in the first two picks since maybe Roughy in 2004. (By ‘hit’ I mean a player who ranks in the top 5 for his draft class, even Roughy might not qualify). The only time they collectively got it right is 2016 when Max King (#4) went after Sam Walsh(#1).

So I ask myself… is Aaron Cadman more likely to be the outlier hit? Or the statistically far more likely recruiting misstep?

I know that GWS traded up to get this guy, and I know they will almost certainly take him with this pick. But not this little black duck….

I apologise to those who believe that this phantom should be an exercise in predicting the actual draft. But I just can’t bring myself to select Cadman at this pick.

I’m selecting a midfielder. But, which one? Selection coming right up.

Who picked Brisbane?

Brisbane match bid

Brisbane pay 2400 points
Loose - Picks 34, 35, 36, 38, 55, 73 and go into deficit 153 points 2023 draft

Will Ashcroft

182cm/78kg
Midfielder

Ashcroft finished his season in the same fashion he played throughout it, with a best-on-ground performance in Sandringham's NAB League Grand Final win with 39 disposals, six clearances and six inside-50s before then winning the Larke Medal as the best player across the national carnival. It was a complete draft campaign for the driven youngster, who is sure to step into Brisbane's starting 18 next year and make an immediate impact. Would be the first ever father-son who attracts a bid at No.1 if it goes that way in November.

esoteric you're up
I've got 162 points remainder on my calculator, but yeah, 2023 deficit that goes off their first round pick. Pick 73 has no value, and does not get used.

Pick 2, GWS: Jhye Clark, Geelong Falcons

Perhaps not the expected selection. I’m not going to attempt a full analysis of his attributes. You can read all you need to know on the afl.com.au, RMC, or even the Official Bigfooty Phantom.

Suffice to say the comparisons with Sam Walsh and Joel Selwood don’t seem misplaced, not that he will necessarily be as good as either (not many ever will be).

He has no obvious limitations. Some of the elements in his game which I like a lot are – he can free his arms and get the releasing handball away with either hand, he can kick long and penetrating, or lower his eyes and hit a target with either foot. He wins 50/50 contests consistently. He never goes missing in a game. His disposals are almost always impactful. He makes the right decisions almost every time.

In short if the question was “other than Ashcroft, who will be the best midfielder in this draft?” then there are arguments for six or more players. However, if the question is “Who can you GUARANTEE will be in the top three mids?” then for me Ashcroft and Clark are the standouts.

Also considered: Cadman, Sheezel, Tsatas, Wardlaw.

Over to you Ninja warrior

Happy for you to pick for them!

Are you sure the numbers on the first page are correct for every senior list?
Yes, except they don't take into account rookie upgrades...
Except us, not sure what each club is doing there... If we are ignoring them Carlton get another pick.

Yes, except they don't take into account rookie upgrades...
Except us, not sure what each club is doing there... If we are ignoring them Carlton get another pick.
There should be a thread on the BF drafting subforum, but I haven't looked into it.

In the end, Brisbane still have pick 69 & 73 to use at the back of the draft at this stage in our phantom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I have the honour of taking the first live pick in the 2022 AFL National Draft, on behalf of GWS.

“… rare KPF talent …”

In 2004, Richmond famously selected Richard Tambling at pick 4, one spot ahead of Buddy Franklin. Professional recruiters seem to have been scarred by that howler ever since, as there is a long and sad history of relatively underwhelming talls being taken with pick 1 or 2, while true star prospects had to wait their turn lower down the order.

That’s a long list of misses (although some have been pretty handy players)… and there hasn’t been a single hit for a tall in the first two picks since maybe Roughy in 2004. (By ‘hit’ I mean a player who ranks in the top 5 for his draft class, even Roughy might not qualify). The only time they collectively got it right is 2016 when Max King (#4) went after Sam Walsh(#1).

So I ask myself… is Aaron Cadman more likely to be the outlier hit? Or the statistically far more likely recruiting misstep?

I know that GWS traded up to get this guy, and I know they will almost certainly take him with this pick. But not this little black duck….

I apologise to those who believe that this phantom should be an exercise in predicting the actual draft. But I just can’t bring myself to select Cadman at this pick.

Jeez setting the bar high haha, what a write up.

Perhaps not the expected selection. I’m not going to attempt a full analysis of his attributes. You can read all you need to know on the afl.com.au, RMC, or even the Official Bigfooty Phantom.

Suffice to say the comparisons with Sam Walsh and Joel Selwood don’t seem misplaced, not that he will necessarily be as good as either (not many ever will be).

He has no obvious limitations. Some of the elements in his game which I like a lot are – he can free his arms and get the releasing handball away with either hand, he can kick long and penetrating, or lower his eyes and hit a target with either foot. He wins 50/50 contests consistently. He never goes missing in a game. His disposals are almost always impactful. He makes the right decisions almost every time.

In short if the question was “other than Ashcroft, who will be the best midfielder in this draft?” then there are arguments for six or more players. However, if the question is “Who can you GUARANTEE will be in the top three mids?” then for me Ashcroft and Clark are the standouts.

And what a curve ball!!

A great pick

“… rare KPF talent …”

Not sure if you were being serious about Weitering being a miss?

Genuinely hope that you wouldn't have selected Parish before Weitering. Are we trying to talk down Weitering now? Probably slightly impacted by injury this year but look out 2023. Bloke is a dead set gun.

Not sure if you were being serious about Weitering being a miss?

Genuinely hope that you wouldn't have selected Parish before Weitering. Are we trying to talk down Weitering now? Probably slightly impacted by injury this year but look out 2023. Bloke is a dead set gun.
My definition of a miss was not being in the top 5 in his draft class. Weitering is certainly the best of talls I quoted, but still doesn't justify the number one pick (IMHO). I love Weiters to bits but I would rather have Oliver.

Bit of a curve ball! In the interest of keeping things moving; I'n going with Cadman to partner Larkey up forward and one of the most competitive inside mids in the draft.

North Melbourne
Pick 3
Aaron Cadman
GWV Rebels | VIC Country
195 cm 91 kg

North Melbourne
Pick 4
George Wardlaw
Oakleigh Chargers/VIC Metro
18/07/04 182cm 81kg

Essendon - pick 5 - Harry Sheezel

Too early in the draft to really take needs into account but also being mindful that the Bombers midfield is a reasonably mature outfit that would be hard to crack and there is a spot in the forward line due to AMT leaving, Cahill & Mosquito not working out, Smith coming to the end etc.

Sheezel is a terrific player to watch. Can kick goals from anywhere, any angle in the forward line and can kick lots of them. Eyes in the back of his head, he hits team mates or creates scores that leaves you wondering how he ever saw it. Keeps his feet, has very clean skills, can play in the midfield and rack the ball up.

Probably gives the Bombers a promising forward line of:

Martin Jones Perkins
Stringer Wright Sheezel

Bletch

Essendon - pick 5 - Harry Sheezel

Too early in the draft to really take needs into account but also being mindful that the Bombers midfield is a reasonably mature outfit that would be hard to crack and there is a spot in the forward line due to AMT leaving, Cahill & Mosquito not working out, Smith coming to the end etc.

Sheezel is a terrific player to watch. Can kick goals from anywhere, any angle in the forward line and can kick lots of them. Eyes in the back of his head, he hits team mates or creates scores that leaves you wondering how he ever saw it. Keeps his feet, has very clean skills, can play in the midfield and rack the ball up.

Probably gives the Bombers a promising forward line of:

Martin Jones Perkins
Stringer Wright Sheezel

Bletch

This is one of my worst nightmares about the the draft. I think Sheezel gives them big time x factor for a decade. I hope North take him.

GCS - Pick 6 - Elijah Tsatas

No nonsense selection, has been rated top 5 all year with good reason. It's the sensible pick, and suits the Suns' midfield mix. He'll play early, and start as an outside player, but expect over time to become more a balanced midfielder.

Has possibly the highest ceiling in the draft (ok, that gets overused, but...), is quick, clean and Ben King will love having him delivering inside 50. Tsatas will benefit from an already strong midfield group and make the most of the work Miller, Anderson and Rowell do around the ball.

Others considered: McKenzie, Philipou, Humphrey. And maybe Hollands, but just because he has a brother at the club isn't enough to warrant pick 5 (6).

Ash24

With pick 7, Hawthorn select Bailey Humphrey from the Gippsland Power.

Height: 185cm
Weight: 86kg

He's an absolute bull at the contest with explosive speed to break clear, making for fan friendly passages of play. His sound inside game is down to a combination of toughness and touch, with Humphrey happy to put his head over the ball, but clean enough to win it. His kick penetration is something the man himself sees as a strength, and Gippsland forwards would certainly attest to that with the quick and deep delivery he offers. He has both the springy leap and stable core to clunk contested marks, holding his own one-out against taller defenders and reading the flight of the ball beautifully for a player his size.

Plays like Isaac Heeney and Bailey Smith.

STRENGTHS:
  • Contested marking, inside game, kick penetration, power, scoreboard impact, toughness, versatility
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Endurance, finishing, outside game

BrisbaneCFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back