Toast 2022 club champion awards - congrats Rory Laird!

Remove this Banner Ad

Good by his standards, which weren't particularly high based on previous seasons. Not good enough to finish anywhere near our top-10 though, surely?
Agree. Mcadam is a decent player no one is disputing it but he isn't an integral cog and certainly shouldn't be regarded in our top 10 BnF.

Our coaches aren't the best judges though.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good by his standards, which weren't particularly high based on previous seasons. Not good enough to finish anywhere near our top-10 though, surely?

Nah, most of the team suck. He was consistently less sucky than most of the team.

He's the only one in the top-10 that I'd be querying. I'd certainly have all of the players who finished 8-10 (Doedee, Berry, Soligo) above him. Of course, we don't know who finished 11th or 12th.
McAdam had a better year than Doedee imo.

Similar to Berry.

Ahead of Soligo as would have played more games.

McAdam had a better year than Doedee imo.

Similar to Berry.

Ahead of Soligo as would have played more games.
Nope - McAdam played 15 games, Soligo 16, and Berry 18.

Even if he had played more games, Soligo should have got 3x as many votes per game. Ditto Berry.

Nope - McAdam played 15 games, Soligo 16, and Berry 18.

Even if he had played more games, Soligo should have got 3x as many votes per game. Ditto Berry.
McAdam was still better than Solgo.
Imo. Soligo was sub in at least 1 game.

He was one of our most consistent players & deserving of top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Rory Laird.

But geez…

Not sure winning a crows B&F at the moment is a massive achievement!..

Bit like that time Bryce Gibbs won one at Carlolton..

But anyway… Our best player by a country mile this year was Jordan Dawson IMO.. and Fogs second half of the season was immense.

The striking thing about Rory Laird though is how he played much better as a midfielder when they sent mcrouch to the SANFL.. and then how Rory took yet another giant leap and played even better again when they moved Ben Keays to HF..

Surprise, Surprise eh.. take the complete hack in Keays and the backwards handballer in crouch out of the midfield, and instead team Rory up with some of our promising youngsters, and our midfield instantly looked 10 times better and Rory’s game went up 3 or 4 notches.

Some of us around here were saying rather loudly that this change needed to be made from the very start of the season mind you..

keays, crouch and laird (and sloane before he did a knee) cannot all play in the same midfield. Only one of them and thats Rory.

Hopefully next year crouch is gone, or is restricted to sanfl duties, and ben keays is joining him.. and sloane is at HF or HB or out too..

Because none of these three should be in our midfield moving forward and if i’m picking a 6/7 man forward line out of;

Izak Rankine,
shane mcadam,
josh Rachele,
tex walker,
the fog,
TT,
himm,
Gollant,
Pedlar,
taylor,
rory sloane and
ben keays…

I’m afraid… My picks for the 3 or 4 small/medium forward roles aint gonna include Ben “literally could hack it anywhere” keays.. and I’m not really that sold on Rory Sloane either.. too old, too slow and just about cooked.

Congratulations to Lairdy but having won 3, the same as Roo, Goodwin and McLeod, he is not in the same league. Two of those wins in two of our worst seasons in our history (not inc the 2020 season).

He is similar to Kane Cornes who won 4 John Cahill Medals and wouldn’t be in the top 10 players of PAFC.

Unfortunately the same goes for Lairdy.

Another way of looking at the BnF is “who has been our most consistent players?” I do agree that McAdam hasn’t been overly spectacular, but I also can see he was rarely beaten by his opponents in most of his games. Usually he averages a few speccies a game and does the team-lifters more often than most in the squad.

I'm sure there was facebook post from the club saying he went in for surgery as soon as the season finished. So he was obviously carrying something for a chunk of the season which explains why he went from leading the brownlow to backing right off

no it doesn't, you're 100% responsible for your form. We weren't contending, there was no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, if he was injured he'd have gotten right, someone would have gotten games in a rebuild and he'd have returned when uninjured. No way he plays injured in a rebuild heading towards a bottom 6 finish.

Congratulations to Lairdy but having won 3, the same as Roo, Goodwin and McLeod, he is not in the same league. Two of those wins in two of our worst seasons in our history (not inc the 2020 season).

He is similar to Kane Cornes who won 4 John Cahill Medals and wouldn’t be in the top 10 players of PAFC.

Unfortunately the same goes for Lairdy.
Kane waltzes into the top 10 for them.

He’s not that old, could still have a good 4-5 years in him. You all scream out to have some more dynamic players in the team and then want to trade one of the very few we actually have.
Luke Brown is just over two and a half years older than McAdam

Maybe he's around for our next challenge? Maybe...?

It's only worthwhile trading good players because they have some value. Duds make no difference

Last edited:
Luke Brown is just over two and a half years older than McAdam

Maybe he's around for our next challenge? Maybe...?

It's only worthwhile trading good players because they have some values. Duds make no difference
I just think he’s a point of difference that adds a lot to our current and future teams.

I just think he’s a point of difference that adds a lot to our current and future teams.
It is true that we don't have anyone else like him.

From that perspective it might be better to move on someone where we have depth in the role

Yon don’t reckon playing a role that suits you more is likely to result in more votes for playing your role?

Deep lockdown defender is perfectly suitable for Dawson. It's not the best use of him in terms of our total footballing power, but as long as he performs his mundane role to an elite level, he gets max votes.

Did we end up getting full vote count?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back