Official Club Stuff 2022 Club Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
My understanding is that many club membership auto renewals tick over later this month, if not already.

With the hope that stadiums will be nearly full in 2022, the promise of getting back to the footy should see membership increase.

Many clubs would be projecting good growth next year. Genuine optimism.

Melbourne - Fans out of the woodwork
Bulldogs - On verge ultimate success
Carlton - New coach, Cerra and finals?
Essendon - On the runway / 150 year
Collingwood - New coach / list
Sydney Swans - Entering the window?
Giants - Thereabouts again
Tigers - Back in the hunt

Some clubs may be more subdued about chances

Hawks - Rebuilding / internal ructions
Geelong - Getting older and slower
West Coast - Ditto Cats

That’s just a few off top of my head. It will be interesting at the top. Richmond should maintain its 105,000 members. West Coast probably stay top club again.

Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton in a tight race to be the next club to hit 90,000 members possibly in 2022? My early guess is Essendon first without confidence.

Melbourne to go past Geelong and hit 70,000 members is a possibility. Will Hawthorn maintain 75,000 in 2022?

Wookie, consolidate or roll into 2021 thread as required!

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that many club membership auto renewals tick over later this month, if not already.

With the hope that stadiums will be nearly full in 2022, the promise of getting back to the footy should see membership increase.

Many clubs would be projecting good growth next year. Genuine optimism.

Melbourne - Fans out of the woodwork
Bulldogs - On verge ultimate success
Carlton - New coach, Cerra and finals?
Essendon - On the runway / 150 year
Collingwood - New coach / list
Sydney Swans - Entering the window?
Giants - Thereabouts again
Tigers - Back in the hunt

Some clubs may be more subdued about chances

Hawks - Rebuilding / internal ructions
Geelong - Getting older and slower
West Coast - Ditto Cats

That’s just a few off top of my head. It will be interesting at the top. Richmond should maintain its 105,000 members. West Coast probably stay top club again.

Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton in a tight race to be the next club to hit 90,000 members possibly in 2022? My early guess is Essendon first without confidence.

Melbourne to go past Geelong and hit 70,000 members is a possibility. Will Hawthorn maintain 75,000 in 2022?

Wookie, consolidate or roll into 2021 thread as required!

Lets see what the financials reveal about 2020 going into 2021 & 2022. The auditors would need to make sure no porkies are being told. The number of members are easily edited, its the dollars that keep clubs as close to honest as is realistic.

Was told by the club that we already have 40,000 members 6 months out from the season.

Our highest ever preseason tally is around 38,000.

Was told by the club that we already have 40,000 members 6 months out from the season.

Our highest ever preseason tally is around 38,000.
Whilst that would be fantastic, it doesn’t make sense. It would be interesting to see where each club lands once their auto renewals go through over the coming weeks.

Carlton apparently rolled over last week. Essendon in a couple of weeks.

Whilst that would be fantastic, it doesn’t make sense. It would be interesting to see where each club lands once their auto renewals go through over the coming weeks.

Our auto renewal is already happening. I got my membership info cards over a week ago with QR code’s to confirm if I want a beanie, scarf, cap or voucher with my membership card.

Reconciling the dollars & the member numbers will reflect the reality of the 2020 & 2021 seasons. Its one thing to go with auto renewals, its another to bank the money.

Reconciling the dollars & the member numbers will reflect the reality of the 2020 & 2021 seasons. Its one thing to go with auto renewals, its another to bank the money.
Correct in total context. However clubs leverage various metrics to sponsors and business partners to secure deals. Membership numbers are a reasonable measure of market size and breadth as well as other metrics that help clubs sell themselves.

Correct in total context. However clubs leverage various metrics to sponsors and business partners to secure deals. Membership numbers are a reasonable measure of market size and breadth as well as other metrics that help clubs sell themselves.

No argument here. The thing about Financials is that its hard to hide anything 2 years in a row & any clubs that simply chose to gloss over memberships in 2020 will be exposed this time round.

You are correct about the marketing & that is why the Roy Morgan numbers are relevant:
Melbourne Storm are the most widely supported NRL (or AFL) club in 2021
See https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8804-nrl-supporters-june-2021-202109280539

No argument here. The thing about Financials is that its hard to hide anything 2 years in a row & any clubs that simply chose to gloss over memberships in 2020 will be exposed this time round.

You are correct about the marketing & that is why the Roy Morgan numbers are relevant:
Melbourne Storm are the most widely supported NRL (or AFL) club in 2021
See https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8804-nrl-supporters-june-2021-202109280539
Yes I agree. Although I place little credibility in the Morgan polls. There are too many anomalies thst render this pretty inaccurate. I actually think those Dreamteam and SuperCoach club breakdowns were best. They were based on participation in competitions so represented engaged fans (reflecting active support). They were based on participants in all states so it picked up wider national support too.

Participants signed up at start of season so this is more representative of club support than say memberships which are skewed by on field success and or not truly reflecting interstate support.

it also avoids crowds being an accurate gauge too as crowds are influenced by on field form, favourable fixtures and larger home stadium etc.

Social media are a decent measure but again these are influenced by on field success. Collingwood and Richmond’s social media numbers rocketed once they won their premierships. As did Hawthirns prior to them.

To your point though, it’s dollars that matter and yield. However, every club operates via a different economy so membership revenue is higher per member where capacity constraints exist (Eagles) as opposed to a lower yield club that offers higher portion of lowgame access packages (Hawks - Tassie). Etc, etc…..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may be a more accurate picture. 2018 year granted but indicates the decline.View attachment 1274513

Not surprised at all,

Hawthorn is going through a similar malaise to 2003-06 - which is natural, it’s our time in the cycle.

That said, at least we had Ian Dicker and not an incumbent who has profiteered off the clubs reliance on pokies, has touted a relocation to Tasmania, has sacked the clubs greatest coach, alienated the state government and AFL and threatened club members with cancellation over Twitter for descent.

It’s been one hell of a 2021

Not surprised at all,

Hawthorn is going through a similar malaise to 2003-06 - which is natural, it’s our time in the cycle.

That said, at least we had Ian Dicker and not an incumbent who has profiteered off the clubs reliance on pokies, has touted a relocation to Tasmania, has sacked the clubs greatest coach, alienated the state government and AFL and threatened club members with cancellation over Twitter for descent.

It’s been one hell of a 2021
I can empathise with you. Coming from an Essendon supporter who endured 4 unthinkable years with the ‘saga’. Hawks plight could be worse😄

I noticed the Collingwood replacement for Eddie when he resigned from the Board, has been found ineligible to stand in the current election because 'his MCC membership nominating Collingwood as his club of choice meant he wasn’t a qualified voting member.'*

I'm aware AFL membership entitles them to club membership, but wasnt aware MCC membership had any rights to footy club membership.
Are the numbers of these 'so called' members published with dollars ?

*https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/d7e5413341e890662ed531a0b2e3f898

Remove this Banner Ad

Back