NFL 2022 - Coaching and GM Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Former Washington coach Jay Gruden interviewed for the Panthers' opening at offensive coordinator.​

Carolina controversially fired Joe Brady midway through a tumultuous season, reportedly because Panthers coach Matt Rhule wanted the team to establish the run more. Gruden – who is best-known for his six-year tenure as Washington's head coach but most recently operated as the Jaguars' offensive coordinator in 2020 – appears to be a serious candidate for the vacancy. The Panthers have solid weapons, but their lack of a quarterback caps their offensive ceiling.

SOURCE: Joe Person on Twitter
Jan 18, 2022, 6:16 PM ET

But Quinn hadnt interviewed yet.

Yeah and Moore apparently had a four hour meeting at a restaurant same day as that Woody post. So even if that was lunch they still would’ve been in meeting

Raiders request interview with Bengals scout Trey Brown for G.M. spot

Posted by Josh Alper on January 18, 2022, 7:03 PM EST

Before the Raiders hired Mike Mayock as their General Manager in 2019, they interviewed Trey Brown for the position.

Mayock was fired on Monday and the Raiders are interested in speaking with Brown again. Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that they have requested an interview with Brown, who currently works as a scout for the Bengals.

Brown worked for the Eagles as their director of college scouting before stints in both the Alliance of American Football and the XFL during their brief existences. He joined the Bengals last June.
The Raiders have also requested interviews with Patriots director of player personnel Dave Ziegler and Colts assistant G.M. Ed Dodds.

A11dAtP0w3R

Texans passing game coordinator Pep Hamilton has declined an interview with the Panthers for their offensive coordinator vacancy.​

There were reports that Hamilton could be a match with the Panthers for their offensive coordinator vacancy, but Aaron Wilson of Sports Talk 790 is now saying that the 47-year-old will not interview with Carolina. Hamilton is expected to garner interest around the league after exceeding expectations with third-round rookie Davis Mills under center, and he could stay with Houston for another season as well.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk
Jan 18, 2022, 9:49 PM ET

A11dAtP0w3R

Texans passing game coordinator Pep Hamilton has declined an interview with the Panthers for their offensive coordinator vacancy.​

There were reports that Hamilton could be a match with the Panthers for their offensive coordinator vacancy, but Aaron Wilson of Sports Talk 790 is now saying that the 47-year-old will not interview with Carolina. Hamilton is expected to garner interest around the league after exceeding expectations with third-round rookie Davis Mills under center, and he could stay with Houston for another season as well.

Risky job with Rhule a bad run away from the sack if he coaches next year

Plus you never know Pep might have better offers out there. Plus its likely 1 a year gig for a guy known for working with QBs can't imagine his keen on working with Darnold.
I think its all a poison pill at Carolina and Rhule. He blames his coaches, fires them, to avert blame, and also it's a s**t situation currently with no decent QB and need for weapons too. And if you don't get fired, you're gonna struggle, and it'll detriment your chances of landing a HC gig in a year or two.

I think its all a poison pill at Carolina and Rhule. He blames his coaches, fires them, to avert blame, and also it's a sh*t situation currently with no decent QB and need for weapons too. And if you don't get fired, you're gonna struggle, and it'll detriment your chances of landing a HC gig in a year or two.
spot on GG! - Rhule is poison, eternal good guy Teddy Bridgewater stated he had no idea how to coach in the NFL

"“I’ll just say this, for Joe Brady’s growth, that organization, they’ll have to practice different things in different ways,” Bridgewater said, per the Associated Press. “One of the things we didn’t do much of when I was there, we didn’t practice two-minute, really. We didn’t practice red zone.”"

spot on GG! - Rhule is poison, eternal good guy Teddy Bridgewater stated he had no idea how to coach in the NFL

"“I’ll just say this, for Joe Brady’s growth, that organization, they’ll have to practice different things in different ways,” Bridgewater said, per the Associated Press. “One of the things we didn’t do much of when I was there, we didn’t practice two-minute, really. We didn’t practice red zone.”"
Wow, thats unconscionable that Rhule doesnt even train various basic scenarios. It's even worse than imagined. Panthers gonna be an absolute hole next year, Jags-like, lame duck HC, players wanting a trade out, etc

Tepper hamstrung by that bog contract he signed Rhule to, so being a tight ass not wanting to pay him out, but it's probably best to fire him, cop the financial loss, and fix the club right now, a new GM and HC, make it attractive for a top shelf HC.

I think its all a poison pill at Carolina and Rhule. He blames his coaches, fires them, to avert blame, and also it's a sh*t situation currently with no decent QB and need for weapons too. And if you don't get fired, you're gonna struggle, and it'll detriment your chances of landing a HC gig in a year or two.
He isnt the only one who does it either. And when the assistants get thrown under the bus teams who look at them for future HC jobs are hesitant to hire them.

Hackett was the scapegoat for the Jags after turning Bort into someone that took them the the AFC CG. taken him a few years to get back to a interview. Ill be sad to see him gone in a few weeks, since it looks like he will get a HC job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, thats unconscionable that Rhule doesnt even train various basic scenarios. It's even worse than imagined. Panthers gonna be an absolute hole next year, Jags-like, lame duck HC, players wanting a trade out, etc

Tepper hamstrung by that bog contract he signed Rhule to, so being a tight ass not wanting to pay him out, but it's probably best to fire him, cop the financial loss, and fix the club right now, a new GM and HC, make it attractive for a top shelf HC.
McCarthy was the same. I dont know if he changed in Dallas. but in Green Bay they barely spent time on 2-min drills outside of the walkthrough. Which is why the Packers under him looked the best late game when Rodgers was calling his own plays.
But that could be part of why Dallas did what they did late Sunday.

A11dAtP0w3R

Probably declined because he's got a job lined up elsewhere. Potential head coaches at this time of the year are always lining up other coaches for coordinator and positional roles. Never hurts to interview, unless you've already got a guaranteed job elsewhere, of course.

Probably declined because he's got a job lined up elsewhere. Potential head coaches at this time of the year are always lining up other coaches for coordinator and positional roles. Never hurts to interview, unless you've already got a guaranteed job elsewhere, of course.
Declined coz he doesn't want a one year dumpster fire gig imo, can only ruin your reputation and future coaching aspirations.

We'll end up hiring some complete noob or the Ben McAdoo's of the world. Deservedly so, this is what happens when you keep a lame duck coach around. Very similar situation to Chicago with Matt Nagy last year, couldn't find a DC and had to promote their safety coach Sean Desai.

Declined coz he doesn't want a one year dumpster fire gig imo, can only ruin your reputation and future coaching aspirations.

We'll end up hiring some complete noob or the Ben McAdoo's of the world. Deservedly so, this is what happens when you keep a lame duck coach around. Very similar situation to Chicago with Matt Nagy last year, couldn't find a DC and had to promote their safety coach Sean Desai.

7 years 62 million for a guy who has spent literally 1 year at the pro level in a very low level role seemed like it was a massive risk at the time.

I actually admired the hubris from the Panthers giving him such a deal - thought it had potentially given Rhule has a clear track record of being able to build up multiple college programs from scratch and turn them into very good teams. But the pro game is a completely different kettle of fish. From my perspective (and I would be lying if I said I've followed the Panthers a ton the last 2 years), it seems like there's next to no identity on offense. Just seems really disjointed over there right now - and dare I say had Rhule been on a lesser contract, he might have even been fired at the end of this season.

7 years 62 million for a guy who has spent literally 1 year at the pro level in a very low level role seemed like it was a massive risk at the time.

I actually admired the hubris from the Panthers giving him such a deal - thought it had potentially given Rhule has a clear track record of being able to build up multiple college programs from scratch and turn them into very good teams. But the pro game is a completely different kettle of fish. From my perspective (and I would be lying if I said I've followed the Panthers a ton the last 2 years), it seems like there's next to no identity on offense. Just seems really disjointed over there right now - and dare I say had Rhule been on a lesser contract, he might have even been fired at the end of this season.

Our main issue is we tried to cut corners on a rebuild, especially at QB and OL, two places you cant in the NFL, everything has gone to s**t from there.

Wanting to try and win meaningless games when your roster is in no position to compete always comes back to bite you, then the owner ends up with firing everyone but the guy who should be gone (like I said in the Raiders thread) to try and justify the contract and hire.

It peak dumpster fire stuff. No team is a bigger one.

So now what happens is we keep a lame duck coach around who does even more desperate moves to try and save his hide and make it even less attractive for the next coach.

Nothing but bad things can come from keeping Rhule around in 2022. Best case scenario is we dont do a damn thing in free agency, stop trading for players and end up with a top 3 pick with Rhule being fired at the end of the season. Exciting times in Charlotte.

Bears interviewing Matt Eberflus, Ed Dodds Monday

Posted by Josh Alper on January 17, 2022, 11:05 AM EST

A pair of Colts employees will be interviewing with the Bears on Monday.

Defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus will be meeting with the team about their head coaching vacancy while assistant G.M. Ed Dodds will interview for the General Manager job in Chicago.

Eberflus has interviewed with the Jaguars since the Colts’ season came to an end with their Week 18 loss in Jacksonville. The Bears have also interviewed Doug Pederson, Brian Flores, Nathaniel Hackett, Leslie Frazier, Brian Daboll, and Jim Caldwell over the last week.

The Bears are the only team that’s requested an interview with Dodds so far in this hiring cycle. Omar Cook, Jeff Ireland, Joe Schoen, and Monti Ossenfort have also met with the team about the G.M. position.
Bill Polian has interviewed 4 current Colts employees already. I know he has strong ties there but this seems a strong bias
I’m resigned to not getting Harbaugh now , think he’s Vegas bound

Bill Polian has interviewed 4 current Colts employees already. I know he has strong ties there but this seems a strong bias
I’m resigned to not getting Harbaugh now , think he’s Vegas bound

Just be thankful hes not giving interviews to anyone from his ties with the Panthers

Just be thankful hes not giving interviews to anyone from his ties with the Panthers
Has anyone gone after Vic Fangio since his sacking to your knowledge?
I was a huge fan … literally the only successful coach under Nagys watch at the bears
Be wasted if he wasn’t taken as DC somewhere. I’d love him back

Has anyone gone after Vic Fangio since his sacking to your knowledge?
I was a huge fan … literally the only successful coach under Nagys watch at the bears
Be wasted if he wasn’t taken as DC somewhere. I’d love him back

Not that ive heard but no doubt hell get a job somewhere if he wants one, hes the type of DC that can wait for playoff teams to finish up and still find a job.

Somewhere like the Rams if Raheem Morris gets a HC gig.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back