NFL 2022 - Coaching and GM Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever Mayock and Gruden were doing was far worse. The should have used PFF player grades. :p

The biggest problem above all else with the Raiders drafting has been the 1st round picks. Rounds 2 through 7 I can live with. Getting guys like Moehrig, Hobbs, Crosby, Renfrow etc. But they've whiffed big time on first round picks.

One person described it well to me - Mayock is a good talent evaluator and is on top of the draft as much as anyone. However, it's a completely different ball game talking about a player in terms of a scouting report as opposed to being the guy making a pick when you're on the clock and you have to pick the right guy and you've got say half a dozen players all with a similar grade. Odds are that a few are going to flame out, one will be great, and 2 will be solid. You have to find that great one. That's an art - and that's not something that can be inherently taught.

The biggest problem above all else with the Raiders drafting has been the 1st round picks. Rounds 2 through 7 I can live with. Getting guys like Moehrig, Hobbs, Crosby, Renfrow etc. But they've whiffed big time on first round picks.

One person described it well to me - Mayock is a good talent evaluator and is on top of the draft as much as anyone. However, it's a completely different ball game talking about a player in terms of a scouting report as opposed to being the guy making a pick when you're on the clock and you have to pick the right guy and you've got say half a dozen players all with a similar grade. Odds are that a few are going to flame out, one will be great, and 2 will be solid. You have to find that great one. That's an art - and that's not something that can be inherently taught.
He could’ve also looked to have traded down some of those firsts that no other teams were going to get anywhere near those picks.

yes x100 , give me Daboll over Joesph every time, glad they have come to their senses.
Brian Daboll will make Pat Shurmur look like Vincent Lombardi

He was disastrous, trying to look like the cleverest bloke in the room, passing on the obvious for sleepers he had a hard on for just so he could say I told you so.

Not one of his first round picks has lived up to the number they were drafted at, Jacobs probably the most solid but even that pick was terrible given positional value.

He did make some decent picks outside the first round, but none of them outside Crosby are ever going to be stars.

Brian Daboll will make Pat Shurmur look like Vincent Lombardi

I dunno, Josh Allen's growth has been stunning from his rookie year, and with McDermott a defensive coach you'd think a larger portion of credit needs to go Allen's QB coach and Daboll for utilising his strengths to bring him along after looking raw as * early on.

I reckon people have selective memory, always assumed Allen was good from the start, but he screamed bust in his first season, ran around like a headless chook, very erratic thrower.

I dunno, Josh Allen's growth has been stunning from his rookie year, and with McDermott a defensive coach you'd think a larger portion of credit needs to go Allen's QB coach and Daboll for utilising his strengths to bring him along after looking raw as fu** early on.

I reckon people have selective memory, always assumed Allen was good from the start, but he screamed bust in his first season, ran around like a headless chook, very erratic thrower.
Brian Daboll will be an utter disaster

Glad he is in AFC

He was disastrous, trying to look like the cleverest bloke in the room, passing on the obvious for sleepers he had a hard on for just so he could say I told you so.

Not one of his first round picks has lived up to the number they were drafted at, Jacobs probably the most solid but even that pick was terrible given positional value.

He did make some decent picks outside the first round, but none of them outside Crosby are ever going to be stars.

I don't think the Jacobs pick was bad because they had 3 first round picks so could use one on a lesser value position. Jacobs has been a good player and late on this year showed he's one of the better RBs in the league (though we haven't seen that form consistently).

I think saying that Renfrow isn't a star is a bit of a stretch. Dude caught 100 balls this year, consistently beats the best slot corners in the league.
Moehrig will be a star in time - has all the traits just needs to develop and be in a two high scheme.

I don't think the Jacobs pick was bad because they had 3 first round picks so could use one on a lesser value position. Jacobs has been a good player and late on this year showed he's one of the better RBs in the league (though we haven't seen that form consistently).

I think saying that Renfrow isn't a star is a bit of a stretch. Dude caught 100 balls this year, consistently beats the best slot corners in the league.
Moehrig will be a star in time - has all the traits just needs to develop and be in a two high scheme.

Good point, Renfrow is very good. I forgot about him.

Bears complete second interviews with Matt Eberflus, Dan Quinn

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 27, 2022, 12:12 AM EST

The Chicago Bears have completed their second interviews with Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus and Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn for their head coaching vacancies.

The Bears had a second interview with Jim Caldwell for the position on Tuesday after the team officially hired Ryan Poles as their new General Manager. Poles has now interviewed all three as a part of their search for a replacement for Matt Nagy.

Quinn also is a finalist for the Denver Broncos job and had interviews with the New York Giants, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins. Eberflus is scheduled for a second interview with the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday.

Quinn is in his first season as defensive coordinator of the Cowboys after a six-year stint as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons.
Eberflus has spent the last four seasons as the Colts defensive coordinator.

Report: Ravens interviewed Bucs linebackers coach Mike Caldwell

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 26, 2022, 11:16 PM EST

The Baltimore Ravens have interviewed Tampa Bay Buccaneers inside linebackers coach Mike Caldwell for their defensive coordinator position, according to Jenna Laine of ESPN.com.

Caldwell has spent the last eight years coaching alongside Buccaneers defensive coordinator Todd Bowles as a part of four different coaching staffs. After first crossing paths with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2012, Caldwell followed Bowles to be the inside linebackers coach for the Arizona Cardinals (2013-14), assistant head coach and inside linebackers coach for the New York Jets (2015-18) and then to Tampa to be the inside linebackers coach with the Buccaneers.

Caldwell got his start in coaching in the NFL in 2008 with the Eagles as a defensive quality control coach. Though Caldwell didn’t coach alongside Harbaugh with the Eagles before he took the head job in Baltimore in 2008, Caldwell played for him from 1998-2001 when Harbaugh was the Eagles’ special teams coordinator.

The Ravens have also expressed interest in promoting defensive line coach/run game coordinator Anthony Weaver for the job. Additionally, they have scheduled interviews with Jacksonville Jaguars defensive line coach Joe Cullen, Dallas Cowboys defensive backs coach Joe Whitt, New Orleans Saints defensive backs coach Kris Richard, and University of Michigan defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald.

Report: Ravens interviewing Joe Cullen on Thursday

Posted by Charean Williams on January 26, 2022, 8:09 PM EST

University of Michigan defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald might yet get the Ravens’ defensive coordinator job, but the team isn’t done interviewing.

Jamison Hensley of ESPN reports the Ravens will meet with Jaguars defensive line coach Joe Cullen about the job on Thursday. Cullen was the Ravens’ defensive line coach from 2016-20.

The Ravens also have interest in Buccaneers inside linebackers coach Mike Caldwell and their own defensive line coach, Anthony Weaver, Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun reports. They requested permission to interview Cowboys defensive backs coach Joe Whitt and Saints defensive backs coach Kris Richard as well.

Baltimore fired Don “Wink” Martindale on Friday after the sides were unable to agree on a contract extension through 2023, according to Hensley. The Ravens defense ranked in the top 10 in three of four seasons under Martindale.

Report: Jaguars interviewing Nathaniel Hackett a second time

Posted by Charean Williams on January 26, 2022, 7:51 PM EST

Conflicting reports emerged Wednesday morning about how far along the Jaguars are in their search for a new head coach. (Or perhaps it’s an attempt to leverage Bucs offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich as part of negotiations.)

Now comes news from Eugene Frenette of the Jacksonville Times-Union that the Jaguars will have a second interview with Packers offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett. The sides are scheduled to meet Thursday.

The Jaguars have met with their interim head coach Darrell Bevell, Bucs defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, former Lions and Colts head coach Jim Caldwell, Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus, Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, former Texans head coach Bill O’Brien, former Eagles head coach Doug Pederson and Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

They appear to be showing the most interest in Leftwich, Hackett and Eberflus.

Hackett already has had two interviews with the Broncos.

He has 14 years of NFL experience and eight years as an NFL offensive coordinator, including the past three in Green Bay. Hackett spent four seasons in Jacksonville.

In 2017, with Hackett as the Jaguars’ offensive coordinator, Jacksonville had the fifth-ranked scoring offense and made the AFC Championship Game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting
He is the overwhelming fans 1st choice of every bears blog I’ve read so far.
AmericanCrow has zero regard for any coach in the NFL. They're all useless, and only do good/bad based on whether they luck into a QB or not.
The only exception of course is every Buckeye coach in history.

Interesting

His other stints as offensive co-ordinator have been pretty bad. Browns he had 32nd offense and 29th in his 2 years there and then stints at miami and kansas not much better.
Then theres the bullying stuff in the past makes him not the guy i want to lead a franchise.

His other stints as offensive co-ordinator have been pretty bad. Browns he had 32nd offense and 29th in his 2 years there and then stints at miami and kansas not much better.
Then theres the bullying stuff in the past makes him not the guy i want to lead a franchise.
I guess they’re seduced by the success and development of Josh Allen and expect the same with Fields if hired.
Short memories and all.

Broncos finalizing deal to hire Nathaniel Hackett as head coach

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 27, 2022, 6:59 AM EST

The Broncos are on the verge of hiring their next head coach: Packers offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett.

Hackett and the Broncos are finalizing a deal this morning after contract talks heated up on Wednesday night, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

The 42-year-old Hackett was a hot name in this year’s coaching cycle and was scheduled to have a second interview with the Jaguars today.

Hackett has spent the last three seasons as the Packers’ offensive coordinator and three seasons before that as the Jaguars’ offensive coordinator. He has also been the Bills’ offensive coordinator and the offensive coordinator at Syracuse.

The Packers have had a great offense during Hackett’s tenure with the team, but how much of that was Hackett, how much was head coach Matt LaFleur, and how much was quarterback Aaron Rodgers is an open question. The biggest question now is who the quarterback running Hackett’s offense in Denver will be.

Broncos signed coach Nathaniel Hackett.​

Aaron Rodgers previously endorsed Hackett, 42, for a head-coaching job last year. The latter will have an opportunity to show why in his 13th season in the league, bringing along the same energy and gameplans to Denver that he presented to Green Bay's players for the last three seasons. Matt LaFleur called plays with the Packers but Hackett's Friday-led meetings and tip sheets garnered him praise throughout their roster. It's possible he brings both Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams along with him.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Jan 27, 2022, 7:00 AM ET

Interesting
Obviously no Cleveland fans voted.

Good luck with him. I wouldn’t touch him with a 50 meter pole

:)

AmericanCrow has zero regard for any coach in the NFL. They're all useless, and only do good/bad based on whether they luck into a QB or not.
The only exception of course is every Buckeye coach in history.
I hate the Suckeyes

I guess they’re seduced by the success and development of Josh Allen and expect the same with Fields if hired.
Short memories and all.
Bingo

A man who knows his football

Well done Constantgin

Report: Steelers want to interview Joe Whitt for defensive coordinator

Posted by Josh Alper on January 27, 2022, 7:30 AM EST

The Steelers need a defensive coordinator after the retirement of Keith Butler and their list of candidates for the job is continuing to take shape.

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the team wants to interview Cowboys secondary coach Joe Whitt for the opening. They’ve already shown interest in speaking to Giants defensive coordinator Patrick Graham and Saints secondary coach Kris Richard as well.

Whitt has also drawn interest from the Seahawks and Ravens in their searches for new coordinators.

While the Steelers are showing interest in outside candidates, Dulac notes that they remain likely to bump secondary coach/senior defensive assistant Teryl Austin up to the top defensive job. Until that becomes official, though, others could still wind up in Pittsburgh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back