News 2022 coaching appointments (Leppitsch, Bolton, Jetta, & Fraser)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope the Josh Fraser story is true. Would make me feel better. I hate it when ex-players (reputedly) hate us, unless I hate the ex-player.:p

But seriously, he's been in the system for a while, and always came across as having a brain. Didn't like the messy stuff with Jolly, and the somewhat awkward end to his career with us. This would be a nice way to get that out of our system, mend bridges and all that. Looking forward to a 'welcome back Josh' thread.

I hope the Josh Fraser story is true. Would make me feel better. I hate it when ex-players (reputedly) hate us, unless I hate the ex-player.:p

But seriously, he's been in the system for a while, and always came across as having a brain. Didn't like the messy stuff with Jolly, and the somewhat awkward end to his career with us. This would be a nice way to get that out of our system, mend bridges and all that. Looking forward to a 'welcome back Josh' thread.
I've heard the talk about the "hate." too.
I suspect it wan't so much the club, but certain individuals within it.
I always thought he tried his guts out. When we won in 2010 my heart went out to him especially

I've heard the talk about the "hate." too.
I suspect it wan't so much the club, but certain individuals within it.
I always thought he tried his guts out. When we won in 2010 my heart went out to him especially

I can't remember the hate stuff,
but he was a much loved #1 draft pick for us who was fantastic early on but because of injuries and becoming bigger with age (not unconditioned)
he became less effective as a forward and was never a great ruck.
He did a PCL in a state of origin game in which he was playing very well as a ruckman.

He became a bit of a whipping boy because he didn't quite become the superstar we were hoping for.
There are some parallels with Grundy I suppose and I hope not with our hopes for Nicky.

This is a nostalgic moment....Josh Fraser returning to Collingwood.
He has certainly done it the hard way in coaching circles...not too dissimilar to McRae in fact.

Make no mistake, Frase is an excellent pick up for you. Essentially built Preston back up from scratch over the last 18 months and moulded an incredibly young team into a very competitive VFL outfit. We'll miss him at the Bullants, but you've made a very astute call here.

Interested to see if we’ve given up on bringing in a “stoppages” coach that McRae or Wright or both mentioned, post the Leppitsch and Bolton appointments?

Quite a few media outlets had reported we were targeting someone for the role that was currently an assistant coach at another club. Most thought it was Tapping but that was not to be.

I’ve heard since then that Bolton is most likely filling that role, along with midfield line coach duties and director of coaching or whatever it is they’re calling him.

Welcome home Joshy.....

Northern Bullants remarkable revival has seen coach Josh Fraser rewarded with a return to the AFL.

The 1998 No.1 draft pick will return to Collingwood as the head of development having steered the Bullants to three wins in their comeback VFL season.
It will be Fraser’s first time at the Holden Centre since departing as a player in 2010.

He took the reins of Gold Coast’s reserves after his playing days before returning to Melbourne as a development coach at Carlton and coach of the Northern Blues.
The historic Preston club was almost forced to fold after Carlton pulled out of its VFL-AFL alignment in 2020, making Fraser redundant and he played a key role in the club’s revival.

c413968de2fbe99c41ecc10560823ad0

In a message to members, Fraser paid tribute to everyone who made this season possible.

“When I reflect on the journey we have been through to re-establish the club as a standalone entity from the ground up it gives me enormous pride,” he said.
“Throughout all the challenges thrown our way we embraced and adapted together as a football club and did things ‘The Preston Way’ with every effort and intention of keeping this famous club alive.
“The Bullants are about the people. Coaches, medical, high performance, and volunteers have made this club special"

“I have so much admiration and respect for our players.
“Their love for the club, jumper and each other was evident in the way they played, they played with unconditional Ant’s Spirit and I am a better coach for having been involved with this group.”

The Bullants finished 18th in the revamped 22-team VFL-East Coast competition this season.

The club’s first win ironically came against Carlton, before the Ants knocked off reigning premier Richmond and claimed the Battle of Bell Street.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this the new term for head of development?

As Head of Collingwood’s Academy, Fraser will work closely with the club’s 1-3 year players. He will be supported by development coaches Ash Close, Craig Black and the recently appointed Neville Jetta.

2022 coaching panel

Craig McRae – AFL senior coach

Justin Leppitsch – Head of Strategy and defensive coach

Brendon Bolton – Director of Coaching and stoppage coach

Hayden Skipworth – Forwards coach

Scott Selwood – Midfield coach

Josh Fraser – Head of Development

Neville Jetta – Development coach

Ash Close – Development Coach

Craig Black – VFL & NGA head coach

He hates Collingwood still salty about not getting a game in 2010 GF.

Not much point in having someone as a coach if they hate us - hate is destructive.. imagine getting up in the morning saying " how will I coach these guys today because I rather hate the club they play for" :(

Right...

“It’s a thrill to be back,” Fraser said.

“Obviously, a part of me has always been remained with Collingwood. So, returning is exciting. But the professional challenge is what I’m most excited about.

“To help build and mould a new squad under the guidance of Craig McRae and the team is a wonderful opportunity.”

Yeah what's he going to say?

Has had multiple cracks at Collingwood since 2010 go and find those.
.. then why would he take a job at somewhere hated, after a decade of being elsewhere? Having cracks at Collingwood =/= hating it. Everyone who barracks for Collingwood has cracks at them - do all Pies fans hate the club??

.. then why would he take a job at somewhere hated, after a decade of being elsewhere? Having cracks at Collingwood =/= hating it. Everyone who barracks for Collingwood has cracks at them - do all Pies fans hate the club??
This time last year (actually a bit later in the year), I was spitting chips.
Had the microwave door open…was reaching in…but couldn’t do.
To quote Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes.

He prob was a bit bitter/disapponted at the time.

But new era. New staff, the past is the past.

His hate should be placed on Malthouse alone, and leave it at that.

“Obviously, a part of me has always been remained with Collingwood. So, returning is exciting. But the professional challenge is what I’m most excited about.

Sounds like he has evolved and forgiven.

He prob was a bit bitter/disapponted at the time.

But new era. New staff, the past is the past.

His hate should be placed on Malthouse alone, and leave it at that.

Sounds like he has evolved and forgiven.

To add onto this....he is also a professional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back