Coach 2022 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Going a bit early here but it's gonna be a thing at some point so why the hell not.

I'm pretty disappointed with what l saw last night. The loss aside l have to ask at this point just what our boys have spent their preseason doing, because we were an absolute rabble.
The Filth despite their relative youth and inexperience were far better drilled and organized with better structures and game plan. We on the other hand looked like a side who'd never played together.

Rath was supposed to be our big IP man, what has he brought???

Do we have any game plan other than bombing it to Max???

Have at it.

The only mistake rats made last night was picking owens who clearly wasn’t ready. Yet how many here bagged him for that. Zero I’d say. The one he did get bagged for was Hayes yet he was probably our second best player. The game plan is fine from my reading. The ability of the players is not a coaching issue. We had about 5 players who hardly touched footy. Actually a big mistake was taking Ross out of the middle and putting owens in there but again no one rates Ross on here and want us to play young kids. Hindsight will now see people complain about things like that. As for bombing well that simply happens with slow ball movement because our midfield is so average especially with the players out. When we did move it quickly which wasn’t often the kick into the forward was ordinary. That is not rats fault.

Last edited:
The only mistake rats made last night was picking owens who clearly wasn’t ready. Yet how many here bagged him for that. Zero I’d say. The one he did get bagged for was Hayes yet he was probably our second best player. The game plan is fine from my reading. The ability of the players is not a coaching issue. We had about 5 players who hardly touched footy. Actually a big mistake was taking Ross out of the middle and putting owens in there but again no one rates Ross on here and want us to play young kids. Hindsight will now see people complain about things like that. As for bombing well that simply happens with slow ball movement because our midfield is so average especially with the players out. When we did move it quickly which wasn’t often the kick into the forward was ordinary. That is not rats fault.

Everything you posted falls on the football and coaching departments. Need to clean house, players included.
Nothing about the club is good enough based on available evidence.

Opponents efficiency inside 50 has been an issue even when we made the finals in 2020. I think it was at halftime Collingwood (a bottom 4 team last year mind you) were going at 71% efficiency in their forward 50. They’re basically scoring every time they go in there and Collingwood don’t exactly have an all star forward line. The same thing happened at the start of last year and unfortunately we’re seeing it again, you’re not giving your team a chance when you’re that poor defensively. Not saying Ratts needs to go but he clearly needs help in that area.

All this is true and goes to part of the reason for the loss, but I'm looking at structures, tactics and organization of which l saw little to none.

Everything you posted falls on the football and coaching departments. Need to clean house, players included.
Nothing about the club is good enough based on available evidence.
You can’t replace a slow midfield with a faster one if you haven’t the players. Owens was tried in there and wasn’t good enough. People would whinge if he wasn’t tried in there so that’s a hindsight mistake. Coaches do not fix up skills either. That is a recruiting and trading issue. It’s to late once they have come to us. And I was clearly only talking about rats because that’s what the topic was about. If it’s about the whole footy department I would have mentioned other things

All this is true and goes to part of the reason for the loss, but I'm looking at structures, tactics and organization of which l saw little to none.
My first question which I believe is vital. We’re you at the ground? I was and saw little wrong with most of that bar what I mentioned initially. Our pace around the ground isn’t a coaching thing. Our lack of skill isn’t a coaching thing. Picking owens is a coaching thing. Same with Hayes. Playing our slow best mids in the middle initially is a coaching thing but options were poor. Owens went in there. Complete waste of time in hindsight. Anyway it’s a pretty simple equation for rats. Play finals he stays. Miss out and most likely isn’t re signed.

You can’t replace a slow midfield with a faster one if you haven’t the players. Owens was tried in there and wasn’t good enough. People would whinge if he wasn’t tried in there so that’s a hindsight mistake. Coaches do not fix up skills either. That is a recruiting and trading issue. It’s to late once they have come to us. And I was clearly only talking about rats because that’s what the topic was about. If it’s about the whole footy department I would have mentioned other things

Agreed on the football department point. I think we should change the thread to "Sack the football department".
There are significant worries at every single level.

My first question which I believe is vital. We’re you at the ground? I was and saw little wrong with most of that bar what I mentioned initially. Our pace around the ground isn’t a coaching thing. Our lack of skill isn’t a coaching thing. Picking owens is a coaching thing. Same with Hayes. Playing our slow best mids in the middle initially is a coaching thing but options were poor. Owens went in there. Complete waste of time in hindsight. Anyway it’s a pretty simple equation for rats. Play finals he stays. Miss out and most likely isn’t re signed.
No l wasn't at the game. I'm well aware you get SFA idea about that from the tele, but even so you get some look at structures around the ball and that was chalk and cheese between the two sides. I'm not on my own about this either. The autopsy thread is jam packed with similar comments and many of those were at the game.

No l wasn't at the game. I'm well aware you get SFA idea about that from the tele, but even so you get some look at structures around the ball and that was chalk and cheese between the two sides. I'm not on my own about this either. The autopsy thread is jam packed with similar comments and many of those were at the game.
Well I don’t read the autopsy thread. Got to say a lot of people wouldn’t even understand structure and game plan. I certainly don’t have it down pat but what I did see was a very ordinary midfield and ordinary skills and players not ready like owens or terrible like a few others including Byrnes who was playing as an outside mid. You can’t win games when you no pace around the ground. To me that has zero to do with coaching. We were smashed in the actual midfield but what can rats do about that. He certainly tried changing it up. Players stood in different positions etc. I still say his biggest mistake for the night in hindsight was playing owens but that was countered by playing Hayes and then some. He moved membery back at one stage and we actually started controlling the footy so he then went back forward. Excellent move. Even in the last we dominated after the first 5 minutes but terrible skills let us down.

fu** off with threads about sacking the coach its tiresome

If he gets sacked he gets sacked but he didn't do anything wrong last night.

We don't have good enough mids

On Pixel 4a (5G) using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd say it took too long for the coaches to pull the lever of changing up the midfield mix last night but completely agree that the 'sack the coach' mentality because we lost rd1 is so bloody tiresome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaron Hamill was the behind bringing ex-players back to the club to talk to the boys and re-connect with the club.

He was the heart and soul of mateship and fellowship amongst St Kilda players and ex-players.

When we sacked him, he was picked up straight away by Carlton and this program has not been restarted.

Source: Jack Steele in his Podcast with Dyl Buckley

Aaron Hamill was the behind bringing ex-players back to the club to talk to the boys and re-connect with the club.

He was the heart and soul of mateship and fellowship amongst St Kilda players and ex-players.

When we sacked him, he was picked up straight away by Carlton and this program has not been restarted.

According to many on here he was part of the problem. The real problem is thinking sacking coaches will make ordinary players good players. We have a ver ordinary list especially the midfield

I sure it was Hamill finally moving on that meant for the past 2 years we haven't been able to have our players do a mentorship program with people outside the club and not the pandemic.

When was the last fat premiership coach? Leigh Matthews 2003? Even then he was only chubby at an older age.
Forget the nice guy policy, I’d enforce a no fat guy policy.

Fat shaming? Not very woke of you 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back