Coach 2022 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne in 2020 were remarkably like us in the way they played.

Structure a dog’s breakfast, headless chook running, horrendous forward 50 entries. Surprise surprise, the same year Richo was brought in to oversee their coaches.

They then bring in Choco and Yze and looked like a different team overnight.

Perfectly choreographed zone that allowed players to effectively apply pressure which lead to better decision making as they had more energy as they weren’t constantly chasing tail.

That’s why if you’re us, you move Ratten on and bring in Yze as quickly as possible before a rival snaps him up.

The impact he had on the Dees was clear, he’s younger than Choco (who I’d love too but he’s a bit mad and still think he’d hold a grudge over us picking Richo over him so doubt he’d come), and importantly, seems to understand fundamentals of modern footy with zone set ups and how to teach players to implement them on the field.

Essentially, Yze coming in and fixing things after Richo’s dog breakfast of a “gameplan” is the perfect dress rehearsal for the job he’d have to do at the Saints.

He’s as much as a sure thing as you can get from an assistant and we should be moving heaven and earth to get him in.

Structure a dog’s breakfast, headless chook running, horrendous forward 50 entries. Surprise surprise, the same year Richo was brought in to oversee their coaches.

Perfectly choreographed zone that allowed players to effectively apply pressure which lead to better decision making as they had more energy as they weren’t constantly chasing tail.

That’s why if you’re us, you move Ratten on and bring in Yze as quickly as possible before a rival snaps him up.

The impact he had on the Dees was clear, he’s younger than Choco (who I’d love too but he’s a bit mad and still think he’d hold a grudge over us picking Richo over him so doubt he’d come), and importantly, seems to understand fundamentals of modern footy with zone set ups and how to teach players to implement them on the field.

Essentially, Yze coming in and fixing things after Richo’s dog breakfast of a “gameplan” is the perfect dress rehearsal for the job he’d have to do at the Saints.

He’s as much as a sure thing as you can get from an assistant and we should be moving heaven and earth to get him in.

From the best systems driven team in footy at the moment. It's a really a simple obvious system but bloody hard to beat. He's got the youthful ambition too. Like the guys who came up under Clarko they have had a taste and want to prove themselves. If he interviews well he'd be hard to pass up.

I'm resigned to having Ratts with a few new assistants so we are going to have to hope for a miracle now.

From the best systems driven team in footy at the moment. It's a really a simple obvious system but bloody hard to beat. He's got the youthful ambition too. Like the guys who came up under Clarko they have had a taste and want to prove themselves. If he interviews well he'd be hard to pass up.

I'm resigned to having Ratts with a few new assistants so we are going to have to hope for a miracle now.
Yep, and miracles don’t happen in sport unfortunately.

Yze’s great appeal is that he’s already “de-Richo’d” a team successfully.

There’s a big skill-gap in coaching across the league so it’s crucial you identify who are the gun coaches. If you don’t have them, you don’t compete and you certainly don’t win premierships.

Coaches like Ratts are yesterday’s men. Older coaches like Choco and Pyke are still great as assistants because their strength was skills and ball movement which have become even more vital than ever. Clarko is even better because he was skills and systems based.

The other big elephant in the room is Ratts is a basic, limited orator.

If the board had the necessary gumption to make a move like replacing Ratts (citing missing out on finals as the reason) with Yze, it would pay off with a Premiership.

Waiting another year takes Yze and Clarko off the market, gives two more clubs in the competition another leg-up, ensures the gap between us at the rest of the competition becomes a chasm, and wastes another generation of players.

I can’t see how it’s do able to sack a coach before he’s coached 1 game of his new contract especially while in the finals hunt with 2 games left as bad as it’s been in the second half of the season. Think our only option is to get a bunch of new experienced assistants and keep enright.
Sack the rest . Even our recruiting bloke Libba has left . If still not working by round 20 next year then call it and move on .

I can’t see how it’s do able to sack a coach before he’s coached 1 game of his new contract especially while in the finals hunt with 2 games left as bad as it’s been in the second half of the season. Think our only option is to get a bunch of new experienced assistants and keep enright.
Sack the rest . Even our recruiting bloke Libba has left . If still not working by round 20 next year then call it and move on .
Its Richo all over again

Its Richo all over again

If Lenny is coming it's not happened in the last few weeks. Realistically they have been working on it. Even if they'd started to get bad vibes about how Ratcho was travelling they were probably too far down the road of their feel good story to pull the pin on Lenny. Imagine if he'd bought a house or prepared to move the kids schools and s**t. Also probably cost them the kitty to get hold of Clarko which would explain them not even looking.

It looks like another poorly managed situation again where they just hoped everything would work out just like they haven't for the last 10 years.

If the board had the necessary gumption to make a move like replacing Ratts (citing missing out on finals as the reason) with Yze, it would pay off with a Premiership.

Qp56loK.gif

I know I’m pretty much on my own with this but I don’t see why, with the new rules meaning a payout is only 6 months, we can’t just sack him at the end of the season on the back of not making finals 2 years running an appalling skill level.

It would be ruthless by Bassat but absolutely necessary and something he should seriously consider as he would stamp his authority on a club and football program that has lost its way terribly since 2011.

Another problem with waiting another year, is the coaches available now are top caliber.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but it’s my opinion/prediction that if we hire Clarko (GOAT) or Yze (coaches a team that had been Richo’d and Goodwin’d to a first Premiesio in decades) we win a Premiership.

The board should be thinking the same way with ANY coach hire they do (that the candidate they are choosing would win a Premiership I mean).

We have to be bold and optimistic and poach the industry best instead of adopting apologetic slogans like “Why not Us”?

Fair enough, but it’s my opinion/prediction that if we hire Clarko (GOAT) or Yze (coaches a team that had been Richo’d and Goodwin’d to a first Premiesio in decades) we win a Premiership.

The board should be thinking the same way with ANY coach hire they do (that the candidate they are choosing would win a Premiership I mean).

We have to be bold and optimistic and poach the industry best instead of adopting apologetic slogans like “Why not Us”?
Premiesio, good word that.

I like Yze but think it's a but much saying signing him will deliver us a flag, surely?

Can just as easily say that without Richo, Melbourne wouldn't have won the Premiership.

Took them from 2nd last to Premiers in two years once he became Director of Coaching.

GetRichoBack#

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not negative, it’s logical what you are saying: clubs don’t win things on sentiment.

Modern footy is system based and doesn’t care about sentiment. In fact quite the opposite, clubs that hang onto the past and make sentimental decisions like Essendon, Carlton and Man United in soccer get left behind for years and even decades.

When we are getting assistants in, the one and only question should be “where have you coached before and demonstrate exactly how you improved the area you were in charge of”, then look dispassionately at things like the players they had at their disposal.

We simply must get better at hiring coaches, I don’t care where they come from. Ross Lyon was our best appointment and had no previous connection with the Saints.

On paper from his Giants time, there is absolutely nothing that screams “elite assistant coach”. The Giants even let him go when COVID cuts came and kept others on.

But, if you let sentiment cloud judgement, then sure let’s bring him in.

We’ve *ed up things enough as a club without going the sentimental route. God help us if we start bringing sentiment into already questionable decisions.
Agreed. I love Lenny but I'd like to complement his appointment with an assistant currently deep in the system of a successful system - McQualter or Clarke if we want a heartstrings appointment, otherwise Dean Cox or Jared McVeigh from Sydney or Nigel Lappin or Matt Egan from Geelong.

Last edited:

Yze is firming up as the GWS coach from reports.

Agreed. I love Lenny but I'd like to complement his appointment with an assistant currently deep in the system of a successful system - McQualter or Clarke if we want a heartstrings appointment, otherwise Dean Cox or Jared McVeigh from Sydney or Nigel Lappin or Matt Egan from Geelong.
Absolutely: your McQualter call is a great one especially if we do want an ex-Saints appointment (Clarke as well but don’t think he’s been there as long).

McQualter has been at Richmond throughout their winning era.

Richmond system seems to translate well to other clubs: look at Collingwood with McRae and Leppitsch.

I’ve never understood “player x is a great player, means he can coach”. It just doesn’t work like that.

McQualter (so far) having a more decorated coaching career than Lenny is a case in point.

Absolutely: your McQualter call is a great one especially if we do want an ex-Saints appointment (Clarke as well but don’t think he’s been there as long).

McQualter has been at Richmond throughout their winning era.

Richmond system seems to translate well to other clubs: look at Collingwood with McRae and Leppitsch.

I’ve never understood “player x is a great player, means he can coach”. It just doesn’t work like that.

McQualter (so far) having a more decorated coaching career than Lenny is a case in point.
IIRC Clarke was head coach for St Mary's up in NT for a year or two. Different context obviously but he's had a taste of being the main man. If we offered him a succession plan route would he come home? Enormously popular at Tigerland apparently. McQualter could be the new Bevo. Be great to welcome either back. I'd also love to get our hands on any of the architects from the Sydney or Geelong systems, but a bit weary that we're already trying to catch up with the past like we did with Hawthorn.

IIRC Clarke was head coach for St Mary's up in NT for a year or two. Different context obviously but he's had a taste of being the main man. If we offered him a succession plan route would he come home? Enormously popular at Tigerland apparently. McQualter could be the new Bevo. Be great to welcome either back. I'd also love to get our hands on any of the architects from the Sydney or Geelong systems, but a bit weary that we're already trying to catch up with the past like we did with Hawthorn.

Melbourne is the current bench mark and what they did to improve skills and conversion between seasons is incredible. They got Langdon in who was a renowned ball butcher and reinvented him, they targeted guys who could convert set shots etc.

I just found this article and I think I've found my own answers. Get Choco. It's a shame we didn't get him instead of Richo, we would have been a different side.

Premiesio, good word that.

I like Yze but think it's a but much saying signing him will deliver us a flag, surely?

Its the messiah complex. For some reason, supporters believe that a guy like Yze will transform a team and we will win a flag in a year.
Its always easier to pin the blame on just 1 guy because we then don't need to look at the whole thing.
Bit like how Carracella was the reason for the Tigers winning 3 flags. Though ask the Bombers about how having him as an assistant has helped them.

Melbourne is the current bench mark and what they did to improve skills and conversion between seasons is incredible. They got Langdon in who was a renowned ball butcher and reinvented him, they targeted guys who could convert set shots etc.

I just found this article and I think I've found my own answers. Get Choco. It's a shame we didn't get him instead of Richo, we would have been a different side.

i wonder if chocco would have pushed back on ameet, trout and libba's terrible drafting

i remember watching a GWS doco and he was really pushing SOS hard on his assessment of certain U18 players

Its the messiah complex. For some reason, supporters believe that a guy like Yze will transform a team and we will win a flag in a year.
Its always easier to pin the blame on just 1 guy because we then don't need to look at the whole thing.
Bit like how Carracella was the reason for the Tigers winning 3 flags. Though ask the Bombers about how having him as an assistant has helped them.
Yeah I agree with you completely. Easy to put it all on one guy because the change is easier to swallow than considering it may be a bigger problem (for example, the list).

Honestly I just think we aren't there yet. I think drop off has been dramatic regardless of who we've played. We should be playing finals this year, it will be incredibly disappointing if we don't make it from the position we were in.

I don't agree with a lot of the hysteria on here but clearly there's issues that we need to address.

i wonder if chocco would have pushed back on ameet, trout and libba's terrible drafting

i remember watching a GWS doco and he was really pushing SOS hard on his assessment of certain U18 players

I think he would have set different path. He is assertive and honest so would have freaked out guys like Finnis who I think preferred to believe that every thing was fine until it wasn't. He would have been more skills and system focussed and probably built towards a premiership systematically instead of bluffing about how close we were. I was keen at the time. He seems to have that same bond with the players that guys like Ross Lyon did. High standards and expectations but paternal and nurturing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back