Coach 2022 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly.

That we somehow didn’t think it was worth waiting to sign Ratts when the GOAT Clarko is available is the crux of the problem.

That the leadership (Bassatt and whoever else) at the club signed off on the Ratts extension is the problem.

Anything else is goalpost shifting and red herrings.
Really? I don't think so at all. A few here just made it up. Do you have the audio where Finnis said they weren't interested in Clarkson? I think it's hilarious that some are so gullible, I mean if you're going to lie about something you could at least get the guys name correct. Wasn't Bassat at all haha. You're smart enough to not believe some of this nonsense surely.

It's easy to poke holes in the club, there's plenty of areas we can improve. I wouldn't have thought we'd need to straight up lie about stuff to have a dig at the club though haha

Exactly.

That we somehow didn’t think it was worth waiting to sign Ratts when the GOAT Clarko is available is the crux of the problem.

That the leadership (Bassatt and whoever else) at the club signed off on the Ratts extension is the problem.

You and Gringo are assuming that there was never any talk at all.

Not one club is going to publicly come out and tell the media they are speaking to a potential coach. Especially when one is already employed.

For all we know they had a 'quiet' talk with him. And the answer was No.

Oh and for those complaining that we aren't doing anything with the coaching.
If the info is correct Lenny comes back and takes the midfield.

But s**t that ain't good enough. Well how many coaching teams make it to Grand Finals again?

Exactly.

A mate that follows Freo reckons that stealing Lyon was the making of them because before that they were unassertive and . He freaked and thought the world was ending when they knifed Mark Harvey but after the fact he reckons it was the best thing they ever did.

Not one club is going to publicly come out and tell the media they are speaking to a potential coach. Especially when one is already employed.

But s**t that ain't good enough. Well how many coaching teams make it to Grand Finals again?

I just want coaches from good systems not speculative ones. Lenny is a great strory but I'd take a guy like McQualter any day over a dice roll. Hopefully he's as good at coaching as the is at playing but he's going to have to learn on the job. Even in the year or two he had off footy has changed. Hopefully he kept up while he was away.

Bingo...that's all this is. A beat up by a few on here hellbent on criticising every aspect of the club. I rate Narkles, reckon he's a decent poster who actually comes with some depth to his arguments, even though I disagree with him I can respect the effort.

They first said it was Bassat who said it and ran with that. It wasn't Bassat, it "was" Finnis. And there's no context to what Finnis said because the interview is impossible to find. Media took a snippet of an interview and said Finnis said something we aren't even positive he said. Because they did the same thing with Bassat, they said he said something and then when you listen to the interview he didn't say anything even remotely close.

I just want coaches from good systems not speculative ones. Lenny is a great strory but I'd take a guy like McQualter any day over a dice roll. Hopefully he's as good at coaching as the is at playing but he's going to have to learn on the job. Even in the year or two he had off footy has changed. Hopefully he kept up while he was away.

How many years were they in finals for whilst his was a member of the coaching team at GWS?

How many years were they in finals for whilst his was a member of the coaching team at GWS?
I don't know enough about Lenny as a coach to make a call either way. GWS loaded with talent in the midfield for years so I'm not sure how great a coach you have to be to get them to perform. Would be good to have him as he's a club champion etc but that could turn to tears similar to Ratts and Carlton funnily enough.

McQualter is genuinely good though, I'd love him at St.Kilda. Xav Clarke too, gets some rave reviews from the Tigers but don't know where he is now.

I don't know enough about Lenny as a coach to make a call either way. GWS loaded with talent in the midfield for years so I'm not sure how great a coach you have to be to get them to perform. Would be good to have him as he's a club champion etc but that could turn to tears similar to Ratts and Carlton funnily enough.

McQualter is genuinely good though, I'd love him at St.Kilda. Xav Clarke too, gets some rave reviews from the Tigers but don't know where he is now.

Not calling him a world beater but I'd say dismissing him straight off the bat is ridiculous.

Not calling him a world beater but I'd say dismissing him straight off the bat is ridiculous.
Oh yeah that I can agree with. I think we need to look at all options. Hayes and Enright in the box sounds incredible but I'm aware being a good player doesn't mean you'll be a good coach. I just don't know enough to say if he's capable or not. Perhaps having someone there who came through the GT and Lyon era might give the hard edge we need? Could say same with McQualter too I guess.

We’ve got make changes with the coaching. Tonight tipped me over the edge.

At half time it’s clear the shackles were released after the strangulated way we played the first half. And we showed we can jolly well play.

Forget the goal kicking yips. That for me was the biggest lesson from the game.

I’m just so angry about the way we are playing. It’s terrible. Time to turn over the coaching staff, especially the senior few who are devising the strategy and game-plan.

We should be asking the question to blokes like Noble (Head of Football), Williams and Yze. Even a fellow like Hinkley who has a reputation for developing players. Others like McQualter and Knights as well.

What we are doing isn’t working with the people who are there now. It’s been obvious post-bye. I can’t see that changing going forward.

We’ve got make changes with the coaching. Tonight tipped me over the edge.

At half time it’s clear the shackles were released after the strangulated way we played the first half. And we showed we can jolly well play.

Forget the goal kicking yips. That for me was the biggest lesson from the game.

I’m just so angry about the way we are playing. It’s terrible. Time to turn over the coaching staff, especially the senior few who are devising the strategy and game-plan.

We should be asking the question to blokes like Noble (Head of Football), Williams and Yze. Even a fellow like Hinkley who has a reputation for developing players. Others like McQualter and Knights as well.

What we are doing isn’t working with the people who are there now. It’s been obvious post-bye. I can’t see that changing going forward.
I thought it was pretty obvious pre bye too. Winning papered over the cracks but they we're on show in round 1 so l don't understand the shock horror of it all falling to crap.

The GWS mids have all been glowing in their praise of him as a coach. A lot have gone to other clubs and been quite ordinary, so maybe the way Hayes set them up helped make them look better? We'd all be guessing either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose wins on the board puts credits in bank.

What’s the definition of insanity?
Doing different things over and over and expecting the same result.

I don't know but they had one of the best lists of players ever put together and never went anywhere with it. They were so demoralised after appearing in a GF that they never recovered mentally. I think they persisted way too long with Leon Cameron who seems like a poor communicator and not a very good strategist. The list never seemed to play team footy even when they were good. Even GT got more out of the lists he had and they were not as solid as LCs.

There are some parallels with us in that they seemed to lack leaders and they played as individuals not a team. Hopefully he has ideas on how to fix it because he's going to be chucked in the deep end.

No-one is dismissing him, we would just have preferred to chase the best not have a bit of a roll of the dice. Having him as one of our legends doesn't override that preference for me. If you want the best company you don't hire someone with limited experience at a small company, you chase the best. I think it's a pretty basic idea, you go for the best and if you can't get all the best people across the board get one in to train the others their systems.

Melbourne had Williams and Richo guiding their coach who has probably as much experience in the senior role as Ratts did.

Not gonna lie... I'm p*ssed.

Blind Freddy can see we're a poorly coached football side.

The mental gymnastics it would take to reach any other conclusion must be exhausting.

Re-signing Ratts when we did was ridiculous.

I'm sick of following a club run by muppets. I really am. Year after year of sub par performances.

We need to get our sh*t together now before we waste the talent of guys like Windy and Owens.

Successful people/businesses don't put up with continued mediocrity.

We've got enough players in our team with good foot skills. It's not an excuse. Hill for example is a triple premiership elite winger - one of the best kicks inside 50 before he came to us. Does he now not have those skills anymore?
Like mentioned in other threads, our structure and game plan is shockingly bad, basically mirrors little league, just 20 blokes chasing the ball, leaving no space to work with even we do get the ball.

The geniuses in the coach box still haven’t worked out spacing/spread is needed to have an effective structure, like forwards should stay forward, not come up to backline just to clog up space..

This is the exact reason why opposition always seem to have a open midfield and forward line, and ours are always packed with players with little space to move the ball quick even if we win it… often resulting in more turnovers…

The notion we don't have players who can kick is way overblown.
I think it’s Ratten’s crap system/structure that’s making simple skill execution like rocket science… queue Hill, brilliant kick at Hawks, dockers, turnover merchant at the saints, why? we play with no spacing, everything is rushed, skill standards have been deprioritised by effort, tackling.. that’s why.. Butler, Higgins, Jones all had great first seasons with us, then become ordinary kicks after..

I think it’s Ratten’s crap system/structure that’s making simple skill execution like rocket science… queue Hill, brilliant kick at Hawks, dockers, turnover merchant at the saints, why? we play with no spacing, everything is rushed, skill standards have been deprioritised by effort, tackling.. that’s why.. Butler, Higgins, Jones all had great first seasons with us, then become ordinary kicks after..
Good friend of mine, Essendon supporter, discussing Stkilda with a couple of mates that we're Carlton supporters. Both agreed the same that Ratts payed scant attention to defense or structures at Carlton and despite the failure of Malthouse that Ratts wasn't taking them anywhere and had used up his time as head coach.
Despite the early talk "if you can't kick you wont get a game" the squad hasn't progressed beyond individual improvements and remain at U10's level of footballing sophistication, and hasn't noticeably improved in kicking or skill execution.
So the question needs to be asked: just what has Ratts (and Rath) done to improve the team during the last 3 years?
I think the air of negativity is gone from the Richo era, but aside from that l see nothing. And l mean nothing.
In fact we have a better list and no tangible gains in ladder position so that can only indicate a regression. God help us.

Last edited:
Good friend of mine, Essendon supporter, discussing Stkilda with a couple of mates that we're Carlton supporters. Bith agreed the same that Ratts payed scant attention to defense or structures at Carlton and despite the failure of Malthouse that Ratts wasn't taking them anywhere and had used up his time as head coach.
Despite the early talk "if you can't kick you wont get a game" the squad hasn't progressed beyond individual improvements and remain at U10's level of footballing suffocation, and hasn't noticeably improved in kicking or skill execution.
So the question needs to be asked: just what has Ratts (and Rath) done to improve the team during the last 3 years?
I think the air of negativity is gone from the Richo era, but aside from that l see nothing. And l mean nothing.
In fact we have a better list and no tangible gains in ladder position so that can only indicate a regression. God help us.

We have gone backwards since he first started. 2020 we actually had a really simple easy to identify style and game plan. It got worked out later in the year and we didn't have any more ideas but it was still good enough to win us a final.

2021 started badly getting Richo style floggings and failure to adapt to new rules, injuries hit but late in the year we rallied to show some pride and grit to get some decent wins with a real B team.

This year we had an easier lead in with some soft sides early but the game style looked confused and an ineffective. We had a huge amount of individuals lift up a level but the game style looks a noticeable impediment and confidence has collapsed.

It looks like we are going to persist with everything as it is but with Lenny Hayes to come in. Hopefully he's been studying some play books because we need him to come in and change things up. Right now we have to rely on internal improvement from Coff, Clark, King, Snags, Owens and Windy etc. If they can't come on and we can't attract some quality talent we might go even worse or at least plateau.

I feel like we play a kamikaze style- all attack, no considered defence, let's just see what happens!

All successful teams start with a defensive structure and add attack in my opinion, Lyon did that in arguably our best performing era.

Our Coaches are currently, and have been for about 10 years, absolutely hopeless

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back