Coach 2022 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Because it's not industry practice to wait until the end of the season to make a call. In reality we could've probably waited two or three more weeks but I don't think it would make much difference if we had already waited 16 to make a decision.

We took a risk like we do with all decisions and this one went against us. Luckily the 2 year deal is irrelevant because the pay-out is only 6 months which for Ratts would be about 250k. If we are nowhere near it by the midpoint next year I would hope they make a call but also hope I'm wrong and we turn it around.
Another thing we have to remember is how it reflects on the club stringing along their coach. Does that impact potential future coaches when they see contract extensions given at the last minute? I think it would.
It's unfortunate timing.

Anyway, on your second point. I wonder how true the 6 month cap is given that Clarko is looking for 5 year minimum. If there's still a 6 month cap on payouts, then him requiring a minimum length contract seems irrelevant.

Another thing we have to remember is how it reflects on the club stringing along their coach. Does that impact potential future coaches when they see contract extensions given at the last minute? I think it would.
It's unfortunate timing.

Anyway, on your second point. I wonder how true the 6 month cap is given that Clarko is looking for 5 year minimum. If there's still a 6 month cap on payouts, then him requiring a minimum length contract seems irrelevant.
100% agree with you and I mentioned that myself at the time. Also has the potential to erode trust/faith within the football department. It's a risk that didn't pay off.

Clarkson may be asking for a guaranteed amount up-front or something, I don't really know why else you'd bother with it. If you get sacked a year into a 5 year deal the payout is the same as if you were 3 or 4 years in.

A few of my thoughts on the coaching this year:

- I think it's silly to label Ratts a dud, he's not necessarily proven himself to be good or bad. We have performed around where we were expected to the last two years. That isn't good enough, we need to find a way to improve and be better but at the same time neither year has been a disaster. Ratts needs to find a way to take the team to the next level.

- Development of youngsters this year is a positive. Windhager, Owens and Nasiah have been fantastic as first year players. They will be critical players going forward. They all play in an area of the ground that we need strengthening. Watching the Swans this afternoon, the emergence of young midfield types such as Warner and Gulden has helped them to jump forward, we will be hoping these guys do the same for us.

- The forward line is an area of concern in that we aren't really developing players there. Max looks fantastic and is not a concern, the concern is who is going to help him up there? We can't seem to find players that can regularly perform in that area of the ground. Hayes will be crucial next year, but we need to find a way of performing better in this area of the ground, finding players that kick goals and help the team. We seem to small up forward in that we lack strength. I would like to see a new forwards coach and see if they can transform this area of the ground like Enright has done with the backline.

- We have too many half back players. We play guys there to find form and we have a lot of good players there but they just seem to get stuck there and can't go elsewhere. Look at who has been there...
Hill, Sinclair, Clark, Sharman, Webster, Paton. It's just too many. We need to find ways to use Clark and Hill regularly and effectively. Hill was brought in as a winger but his skillset doesn't seem to suit the wing. Wood and DMac are better wings than him in our side. We need to find a way to use him well consistently, we have Coffield coming back next year who surely slots into a backline role so we need to look at this group of players and find other roles for them.

- From 8-3 the season was disappointing I think it came down to lack of depth and quality as much as coaching. We got a few injuries and it hurt us because we lack depth players that can come in and help, but our system is also under-developed. We need to have a system where players can slot in and perform a role, which means getting better, well-suited players as well as developing that system to a better degree. We seem to play a chaos type of game at times, it's great to watch when it clicks but we need to find a way to be dour when it isn't going our way. We seemed able to do that earlier in the year when we had our best side out there but slipped away with a few injuries.

- Our rebound from defence is an area of weakness. For example, when the opposition get a behind we hardly ever go coast-to-coast.

- The rucks are still confusing, Marshall is better around the ground but Ryder helps us at centre bounce. We need to sort out the plan there.

I can't see any reason why Ratten should have been sacked if he'd gotten to the end of the year with an 11-11 record. It's just ok, it's not terrible. The main question is do the players believe in him? I have to assume they do because if they didn't surely we wouldn't re-sign him. I know some will see that as naive but I just think you have to trust the club on some level not to employ someone they don't genuinely think is good enough.

The challenge for Ratts and his team is finding a way to elevate this team from the chasing pack to the leading pack. Fremantle have managed it this year, Sydney have managed it. Carlton to a lesser degree. I have seen that we can beat the top teams on our day so the challenge is to do it consistently enough to get to 14+ wins for the year, we will have 11 this year so we aren't miles off.

After 2020 we bombed out and were considered to be a huge disappointment. We lowered everyones expectations after tripping over our own feet and no-one took us seriously. A huge amount of players stepped up and we managed to not really progress despite a lot less injury.

I'd say he's been really poor. Richo had 11 and 12 win seasons but had much shitter lists to work with. He's 3 and a bit years into his tenure. Richo was there for 5 and 3/4 seasons and our longest serving coach. I hope we don't make that mistake again. If he doesn't start well next year he should be booted before we do too much damage to our list.

After 2020 we bombed out and were considered to be a huge disappointment. We lowered everyones expectations after tripping over our own feet and no-one took us seriously. A huge amount of players stepped up and we managed to not really progress despite a lot less injury.

I'd say he's been really poor. Richo had 11 and 12 win seasons but had much shitter lists to work with. He's 3 and a bit years into his tenure. Richo was there for 5 and 3/4 seasons and our longest serving coach. I hope we don't make that mistake again. If he doesn't start well next year he should be booted before we do too much damage to our list.
I'm sure it will be re-evaluated depending on where we are at, pressure will come if we're struggling I'm more interested in how we can actually get better.

It's hard to compare because it's all relative. Shitter list but what was the competition like, was it an easier or harder draw than what we have now, was the league stronger or weaker, etc.

Allan Jeans is our longest serving coach but Richardson was definitely there way longer than he deserved. At least we have shown we are capable of being a good side under Ratten. Richardson never offered us any evidence of that.

It looks to me like we can't seem to make the jump from being an average side to a good one. I think that's pretty common for most teams that make the jump, but our problem is the way we've rebuilt the list. It's not conventional and it worries me because I haven't seen a side rebuild through experienced players and win a premiership. Not saying it can't happen but there's just no evidence of it.

Rath appears to be a Chris Pelchen Tier snake oil salesman.

He's obviously got some credits from his time under Clarko but perhaps he was just a better fit where Clarko comes up with an idea and he implements or something. He certainly doesn't seem to have given us a strategic advantage.

He's obviously got some credits from his time under Clarko but perhaps he was just a better fit where Clarko comes up with an idea and he implements or something. He certainly doesn't seem to have given us a strategic advantage.
perhaps also a better fit when the squad contains buddy, Luke hodge, Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis, roughead, gunston, Gibson, lake , Brad hill when he was good etc.

It's hard to compare because it's all relative. Shitter list but what was the competition like, was it an easier or harder draw than what we have now, was the league stronger or weaker, etc.

Allan Jeans is our longest serving coach but Richardson was definitely there way longer than he deserved. At least we have shown we are capable of being a good side under Ratten. Richardson never offered us any evidence of that.

It looks to me like we can't seem to make the jump from being an average side to a good one. I think that's pretty common for most teams that make the jump, but our problem is the way we've rebuilt the list. It's not conventional and it worries me because I haven't seen a side rebuild through experienced players and win a premiership. Not saying it can't happen but there's just no evidence of it.

I said that at the time and got told to pull my head in. We did the whole thing back to front but the side should be much more competitive IMO. I'm hoping that playing together gets them more in synch and we improve that way. I reckon the comp is pretty average at the moment and it should be an easier than normal time to shine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said that at the time and got told to pull my head in. We did the whole thing back to front but the side should be much more competitive IMO. I'm hoping that playing together gets them more in synch and we improve that way. I reckon the comp is pretty average at the moment and it should be an easier than normal time to shine.
God I hope we take our 1st & 2nd picks to the draft 9 & 27

I invite you to explain the gameplan he has implemented which has led to consistent improvement. I must be missing something.
As George explains the game plan, could you please explain what Rath's what does his day-to-day role entails, why is he failing at it and what are you seeing that no one in the football industry who is working with him seems to notice?

I invite you to explain the gameplan he has implemented which has led to consistent improvement. I must be missing something.
6th, 10th, 10th….after an 8:3 start.
I know who’s missing something and it isn’t us.

Last edited:
Exactly. You think everything is going great, I think everything looks pretty much amateurish.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I thought you said we have a Top 4 list?
Now it's bottom 4 material. You change your opinion faster than the wind changes!

I acknowledge that there are issues. But they aren't as dire as some would make them seem.

It's as ignorant to only blame the coaches as it would be to only blame the players/list. There are elements of both that need improvement and also elements of both that worked well.
Yep. Everyone’s a little s**t and that’s why it’s so hard a problem to fix. Can’t just axe one person and fix everything. If it was a simple fix you’d imagine they’d have done it already

I don't claim to know, that burden of proof is on you my friend. Please tell us the gameplan.

You want to get rid of him because of what exactly? You've got no clue like the rest of us if you aren't sitting in those meetings.

Baffling that some just pick out a member of the football department and lump our failings on them as if they actually know what's happening at the club and who is tasked with what, lol.

You called him a snake oil salesman based on what? He's been in the industry for decades and arguably the greatest coach of all time wants him as part of his coaching group. Yet you know best...lol

As George explains the game plan, could you please explain what Rath's what does his day-to-day role entails, why is he failing at it and what are you seeing that no one in the football industry who is working with him seems to notice?
He is failing because we have gone 6th,10th and 10th. He’s head of strategy and we’ve appeared not to have a cohesive one since about two thirds of the way through 2020. Our forward line is the most dysfunctional in the competition but probably around top 6 for talent in my opinion.

Last edited:
He is failing because we have gone 6th,10th and 10th. He’s head of strategy and we’ve appeared not to have a cohesive one since about two thirds of the way through 2020. I’m sure that our forward line is the most dysfunctional in the competition but probably around top 6 for talent in my opinion.
His job title is actually 'Head of Football' so given you don't know what his job is, I don't think you have any clue whether he is doing it well or not.

That’s my point - there hasn’t appeared to be a proper game plan since we got found out by Geelong and other sides in 2020.
So how did you come to the conclusion that is Raths fault and he's a snake oil salesman because of it? Why would Clarko want someone like that?

Just seems like a pretty poorly thought out opinion IMO.

His job title is actually 'Head of Football' so given you don't know what his job is, I don't think you have any clue whether he is doing it well or not.
There are many articles hailing his strategic acumen; so I think you’re being a little disingenuous. If he’s head of football we’ll we’ve wasted a season after being 8-3 after wasting 2021 as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back