Coach 2022 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's been given a heap of off field support and the list looks a heap better. Our players are a lot better this year but he's been found out a couple of times. To me he's an adequate coach but nothing special.

The kids that he's developed are... King looks on track, Clark looks okay but a bit slow to come on, Bytel is lagging, Byrnes is in the VFL, Coops VFL, Leo VFL, NAZ looking good, Windy looks like he's got something to work with etc.

I think most of our best players are still a bit of a foreign legion of semi developed ring ins and players already playing under Richo. We seem to play less kids than most other sides.

He should be expected to perform or we should look elsewhere IMO, no-one is going to come poaching him.
I agree with your conclusion entirely but you've missed the mark talking about development. Guys like Dmac, Crouch and Wood gave found a new lease in life. Billings TBD and my boy Seb Ross has done a complete 180.

From my observation Ratts has a habit of making mistakes but also learning from it and eventually getting it right. He's no plonker but also not really an innovator. If he makes finals then another 2 years is fair but that would be the limit for me unless we have one or both hands on a premiership.

to say you see us winning a flag with Clarkson is ridiculous and based on zero factual evidence at all
You do realise this is a football forum and in sport there are no guarantees. I’ve expressed my opinion and you tell me it’s ridiculous and based on zero factual evidence, give me a brake.

I’ve watched Clarkson‘s career and I rate him as the best afl coach I’ve seen, Imo the best coach gives us the best chance of winning a flag. I think our list is developing nicely, we‘ve had what appears to be at this stage a very good draft. I think we‘re well placed to add some quality players this offseason and a coach like Clarkson with his reputation and success helps with attracting players to the club.

So you have a team who appears to be a finals side with a slim chance of finishing top four with imo a fair to middling coach in ratten. I think he was out coached by both Hinkley and Goodwin and I can think of many games where I’ve thought the same thing. So in your opinion I’m ridiculous to suggest I can see us winning a flag in the future with the coach I consider to be the best in the business.

I can’t remember reading any of your posts but I’m assuming from this response that you’ve limited yourself to strictly fact based statements supported by factual evidence 🤡🤡🤡.

I agree with your conclusion entirely but you've missed the mark talking about development. Guys like Dmac, Crouch and Wood gave found a new lease in life. Billings TBD and my boy Seb Ross has done a complete 180.

From my observation Ratts has a habit of making mistakes but also learning from it and eventually getting it right. He's no plonker but also not really an innovator. If he makes finals then another 2 years is fair but that would be the limit for me unless we have one or both hands on a premiership.

Yeah that's fair. Seb turned to s**t when played in an outside role and Battle came good after we tried to turn him into something else and as soon as he went back to what he was he was miraculously good again. Rumours of the players having no idea what his game plan was last year are a bit of a worry too. Supposedly from a very good source.

He's definitely not s**t but he might be just okay as well.

That's probably fair that he gets a bit more security if he can get us top 4 at the half way point but I'd still be waiting a bit longer just in case. I'd wait until about round 16 or 17 after we play Sydney and Brisbane then meet Carlton. We should know from that where we are going this year. We have a couple of soft targets before the bye. North, Crows and Essendon should all be easy kills and not prove much.
Have you been steeling Premo's positive pills , Carlton should have been an easy kill last year and you know how that turned out

Have you been steeling Premo's positive pills , Carlton should have been an easy kill last year and you know how that turned out

Essendon are a s**t pie this year, North look like an Ammos side and the Crows have been very average this year. If we can't win all three we are not a serious threat to anyone this year. I'm not Premo positive but I think we have shown that we can play decent footy and a heap of players have stepped up. Right now we are getting injured players back as well.

IF we are not trying for a top 4 spot then we might as well fold or move to Darwin. It's never going to be a better time. Accepting mediocrity is bullshit. We've done the rebuild, we have the players and * all sides look better. Top 4 or bust.

Essendon are a s**t pie this year, North look like an Ammos side and the Crows have been very average this year. If we can't win all three we are not a serious threat to anyone this year. I'm not Premo positive but I think we have shown that we can play decent footy and a heap of players have stepped up. Right now we are getting injured players back as well.

IF we are not trying for a top 4 spot then we might as well fold or move to Darwin. It's never going to be a better time. Accepting mediocrity is bullshit. We've done the rebuild, we have the players and fu** all sides look better. Top 4 or bust.
We have a disturbing recent history of dropping games against the the Roos and Injectors no matter how bad they are going at the time. I was at that Good Friday game 3 years ago. I'll never get over it.

You do realise this is a football forum and in sport there are no guarantees. I’ve expressed my opinion and you tell me it’s ridiculous and based on zero factual evidence, give me a brake.

I’ve watched Clarkson‘s career and I rate him as the best afl coach I’ve seen, Imo the best coach gives us the best chance of winning a flag. I think our list is developing nicely, we‘ve had what appears to be at this stage a very good draft. I think we‘re well placed to add some quality players this offseason and a coach like Clarkson with his reputation and success helps with attracting players to the club.

So you have a team who appears to be a finals side with a slim chance of finishing top four with imo a fair to middling coach in ratten. I think he was out coached by both Hinkley and Goodwin and I can think of many games where I’ve thought the same thing. So in your opinion I’m ridiculous to suggest I can see us winning a flag in the future with the coach I consider to be the best in the business.

I can’t remember reading any of your posts but I’m assuming from this response that you’ve limited yourself to strictly fact based statements supported by factual evidence 🤡🤡🤡.

Just the bit about being outcoached by Hinkley and Ratten…

in the first instance we beat ourselves with our goal kicking and against the Dees I don’t think it was Goodwin outcoaching him, it was more a case of our coaches out coaching themselves with the change of game plan.

Of course neither loss was good, but I wouldn’t necessarily credit the coaching of the opposition coaches.

in the first instance we beat ourselves with our goal kicking and against the Dees I don’t think it was Goodwin outcoaching him, it was more a case of our coaches out coaching themselves with the change of game plan.

Of course neither loss was good, but I wouldn’t necessarily credit the coaching of the opposition coaches.
It was interesting watching the uncut stuff from after the game. I got the impression that the players didn't actually play how the coaches wanted them to in the first half of the Dees game.

That Good Friday game still haunts even neutrals I chat to.

It was the first game my wife had come to since 2012.....and the last. We went from there to the comedy festival and our performance was more comical than the clown on stage.

It was interesting watching the uncut stuff from after the game. I got the impression that the players didn't actually play how the coaches wanted them to in the first half of the Dees game.
I haven’t seen it, but from what I heard Ratts say somewhere I think it may have been a bit what the coaches wanted, but the players took it to the extremes. Too much, too little, it’s a fine line. They obviously overcooked it a little though.

It was the first game my wife had come to since 2012.....and the last. We went from there to the comedy festival and our performance was more comical than the clown on stage.
That is… Unfortunate. Picking a game to bring a newbie or neutral to is always hard. Sometimes you bring them to what should be a routine win and you s**t the bed. Or you bring them to a “guaranteed thriller” and it’s a s**t fight.

Sometimes you get the 2019 Richmond vs west coast match in round 23. Went on a whim and watched one of the best footy matches I’ve seen live. Both teams firing at max star power and the rain coming down to completely change the game at half time.

Yeah that's fair. Seb turned to s**t when played in an outside role and Battle came good after we tried to turn him into something else and as soon as he went back to what he was he was miraculously good again. Rumours of the players having no idea what his game plan was last year are a bit of a worry too. Supposedly from a very good source.

He's definitely not s**t but he might be just okay as well.
Game plans can be tricky.
Some coaches seem to forget they are dealing with footy players.
Ross Lyon drew the ground up like a grid so he could teach the players by rote to run to the right places at the right time.
If they need to think about it they will probably get it wrong.
If they need to do things that thy find physically impossible they will fail.
Its hard as an outsider to gauge how successful a coach is at teaching his game plan, and making suitable adjustments along the way, but our players seem to be working as a unit at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Valid point. I'm very much of the same opinion.

On the Dees game, I'd say it was a smart move trying to change the angles to get a better forward entry and likely try and suck their defence up - it didn't work, but we need to have different modes to be a great team. We lost that game, but hopefully we learn a lot from it.

We have a disturbing recent history of dropping games against the the Roos and Injectors no matter how bad they are going at the time. I was at that Good Friday game 3 years ago. I'll never get over it.
how about the Crows last year??? now that was bad.

Think the coaches are getting improvement from individuals so that's a tick.

Gameplan against the Dees was poor imo... should have backed ourselves in to play our way.

I think the coaches have some runs on the board this year now so i have a bit of faith going into the next two games. Coaching didn't cost us the port game... kicking did.

We'd be screwed without Enright's system back there. He must be kept.

The forward structure has been terrible lately. Can't create space to save themselves.

Midfield cattle and ball use is 70% of the trouble:

Ross trying his guts out this year.
Steele has looked like a grumpy man all year, off his best.
Jones hasn't been anywhere near good enough to be in the seniors this year.
Gresh is ok getting a clearance but that's about it, would be a better forward.
Crouch tries but is limited with pace.
Hanners might be wheeled out for a send off match round 23.
Clark, 23yo and hasn't made it yet.
NWM young and hopefully we won't break him.
Byrnes wasn't that good before going backwards.
Billings should be called Casper, he's a ghost. Forward or nothing.
Windhager will need to be strong having the weight of the fans hopes all on him.
Ryder will need plenty of rests.
Marshall not at his best but solid enough.
Campbell having a very good season, but seems surplus to requirements like Highmore.
Bytel has sadly gone backwards and struggling with his body.
Owens has assets but not a solid player yet.
Wood been ok but goes missing.
DMac is now the type of player we want everyone else to be.
Heath will take time.
Peris has played all over the field now, wouldn't surprise me if he bolts past a bunch in the next 24 months. Has weapons.

We've known for years, there isn't much quality there to take us to a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back