Coach 2022 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

And interesting that he isn't coaching the forwards at the Dogs, he'll be coaching the midfield. Think it's pretty evident that he is just not a forwards coach.

fpxJoiz.gif

Hayes4PM

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is one of the areas I'm actually feeling reasonably positive about the club, we brought in Enright who was a brilliant defender and by all accounts is a great coach, he's had 1 season as our backline coach and some of our best performers have been down back; Sinclair, Wilkie and Battle have all showed big development and improvement this year, many of those guys were already on the right track but this year in particular performed. I think having a proven performer and good brain who played in the modern era is going to be crucial going forward with how much the game has changed since the old 90's and early 2000's era, the game looks completely different.

Same goes for Lenny, a guy who wasn't necessarily the fastest, most explosive or athletically gifted but just had a great attitude, huge commitment and drive and would also go up a gear when the contest got hottest. A guy who finished up as a player 7 or 8 years ago but he's done his coaching apprenticeship and now he's back to take over the midfield.

With Lade shipped off it's mainly now just about getting a good forward coach in and I think this will be just as important as our trading. I wonder if shifting Roughead into the forward coach role would be too quick for him? I wonder if we could convince Robbie Gray to join the club in some development or coaching capacity? That man is just forward craft and football smarts on legs.

This is one of the areas I'm actually feeling reasonably positive about the club, we brought in Enright who was a brilliant defender and by all accounts is a great coach, he's had 1 season as our backline coach and some of our best performers have been down back; Sinclair, Wilkie and Battle have all showed big development and improvement this year, many of those guys were already on the right track but this year in particular performed. I think having a proven performer and good brain who played in the modern era is going to be crucial going forward with how much the game has changed since the old 90's and early 2000's era, the game looks completely different.

Same goes for Lenny, a guy who wasn't necessarily the fastest, most explosive or athletically gifted but just had a great attitude, huge commitment and drive and would also go up a gear when the contest got hottest. A guy who finished up as a player 7 or 8 years ago but he's done his coaching apprenticeship and now he's back to take over the midfield.

With Lade shipped off it's mainly now just about getting a good forward coach in and I think this will be just as important as our trading. I wonder if shifting Roughead into the forward coach role would be too quick for him? I wonder if we could convince Robbie Gray to join the club in some development or coaching capacity? That man is just forward craft and football smarts on legs.
I’d be a no to Roughy. Firstly he doesn’t seem to want to coach, and secondly, he’s been with us a few years already, could surely have had some input - and if he did, it didn’t seem to help.

Bruce has played three seasons there and two of them were shithouse and now they seem to be actively seeking a replacement for him. I wouldn't really say that has worked out for them.

He's 30, they will have him drop off just as JUH comes on. Pretty good management. Pretty hard to criticise a guy who's missed nearly a full season with a knee. They fell away when he was unavailable. I think apart from injury he was a good get for what they paid.

Hayes4PM

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’d be a no to Roughy. Firstly he doesn’t seem to want to coach, and secondly, he’s been with us a few years already, could surely have had some input - and if he did, it didn’t seem to help.

I think he's mainly been a match day coach who's done some one on one work with the key forwards. He might be best kept on as a part time development coach.

Steve Johnson who has been let go by GWS and has returned to Melbourne?

2 years as an Assistant Coach at Giants followed his 3 years at Swans.

Option?

Option?
Good shout and Enright could get in his ear

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
What happened to Justin Plapp? Thought he was s rising star of VFL coaching? Adam Schneider was doing ok as a coach as well wasn't he? Otherwise bring in the Richmond forwards coach

The Boar

Premium Gold
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Strange how? It's pretty clear our coaching has real issues so you'd expect the review would impact that area.
Absolutely expected the review to impact our Coaches, in particular our dysfunctional forward line. Strange because we're effectively firing him from an Assistant position, whilst he is in contention for a Head Coach role at Essendon.

There can't be too many situations where a Coach is being pushed out, whilst at the same time is being considered for a promotion elsewhere

Absolutely expected the review to impact our Coaches, in particular our dysfunctional forward line. Strange because we're effectively firing him from an Assistant position, whilst he is in contention for a Head Coach role at Essendon.

There can't be too many situations where a Coach is being pushed out, whilst at the same time is being considered for a promotion elsewhere

I think the assistant role is an entirely different skill set though. Lade might be implementing exactly what they want him to. He was next in line for a ages but missed out on jobs. If you want a guy who's very experienced and a great people person he's a good pick but I think realistically he's just on an interview list so that they can say that they ticket the list off before appointing Brad Scott who is the obvious choice for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MordySaint

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda

Option?

Stevie J certainly has got the air of confidence and creativity factor, if he can give our forwards even 10% of his confidence then its a move forward.

As long as we don't do anything really daft and get a rugby or cricket coach in again.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda

I think you're significantly overestimating the Essendon option.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda

Grey or Kennedy I’d love as a forwards coach

Grey or Kennedy I’d love as a forwards coach
Great players are not always great coaches.
Id really like Stevie J. He's a very smart player AND has done some years of coaching.

A couple of underlings isn't too much dramatic news. But its a start.

Sexton has been there for over a decade.
Which is why its a good move. Remove the dead wood, get fresh ideas. Happy lade has moved on too.
We need a jump start, and these kinds of moves will hopefully provide it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back