Autopsy 2022 Community Series: Hawks v Tigers, 1:10pm March 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks headed to Tassie for the community series and tribute to the young lives lost in Devonport.

We can discuss this game and everything that will lead up to it in here.

Wanna update this someone pls and ty.

Also cant wait for 4 qtrs.

They need to ramp the pressure on the Tigers.

It seems we really weren't ready for match-style intensity today. Pies made us look like s**t for about 3/4s today.
Their pressure on us was close to season-ready, and ours on them was woeful.

Looking forward to a better display next week.

Is this a cryptic crossword clue?
wannaplsty is plant yawns. update means the top of a date palm. There are date palms at luna park, so I'd say it's the mouth opening at luna park.

I'd imagine this would be round 1 list + 2-3 maybes/projects.
I think we'll see both of Ward and Macdonald feature on field.

Hopefully Chad, Bruest and CJ are good to go for this one. For me there are 15 definites for round 1 (barring injury or mishap) and 17 if Chad and CJ are both fit.

Performing during intra clubs is one thing, playing well against proper opponents is another. Not sure what size the squads are but hope to see the following players who are vying for round 1 spots:

DGB, Hartigan and Frost
Howe, CMac, Finn and Ward
Kosi and Jeka
Brockman and Butler
Reeves and Lynch

Would like to see the side we're expecting for round one for this one! Right now for mine this would look (assuming 26+1)

Hardwick Hartigan Scrimshaw
Sicily Frost Jiath

Ward Worpel Morrison
Reeves Titchell Newcombe

Moore Big Boy Gunston
Brockman Lewis Breust

CMac Wingard Bramble JOM + DGB Kozi

Finn

My two big queries this year currently on the implementation of Frost/Hartigan and Big Boy.
Really want to see our young boys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Chad, Bruest and CJ are good to go for this one.
Chad and CJ should be, not sure on the protocols for Breust.

I assume we're allowed to have a 6 man bench in this game?

Neither Reeves or Lynch dominated against Collingwood. It might be worth giving them another game this week to get a better gauge as to who should be the starting ruckman for Round 1.
Grundy is an elite ruckman at the peak of his powers. He rates elite for disposals, hitouts and hitouts to advantage and averages 106 fantasy points. Anyone expecting a novice to dominate has to be deluded. I agree that both should play and either would be more effective than McEvoy but they need time.

On a related topic, those wringing their hands about our midfield capacity should be focusing a bit more on our ruck stocks. How would our midfield perform with service from Grundy, Gawn, Naitanui or Goldstein?

I decided to go to this game, this arvo was booking Air fares and thankfully got a phone call from nephew in Tas telling me it was a sell-out, before I pressed "pay". o_O
HFC social media announced it mid week last week

Grundy is an elite ruckman at the peak of his powers. He rates elite for disposals, hitouts and hitouts to advantage and averages 106 fantasy points. Anyone expecting a novice to dominate has to be deluded. I agree that both should play and either would be more effective than McEvoy but they need time.

On a related topic, those wringing their hands about our midfield capacity should be focusing a bit more on our ruck stocks. How would our midfield perform with service from Grundy, Gawn, Naitanui or Goldstein?
This. I've seen it.

Will be very interested to see the starting midfield for this game.
100% if Mitch can solve the bermuda triangle the center square we should be competitve or we will bust.

Tom is a brownlow medalist let him hunt the ball he is as good as anyone.
It was clear as day how much we need Wingard in the mix and need to get Day up on the pill when he returns. I would say the 4 best line breakers in our side are Wingard,Bramble,Jiath,Impey. It doesn't help they are injured but two of these guys must start to feature at the stoppage to complement the
Tom,Worps,Nukes of the world!!!

Pick one of the following on each line for the center square.
Hunt the pill: Tom - when he is resting then Jom takes over that role. (halfback rest, Morrison to a wing, Jom on the ball)
2 way runner: Worps/Nuke/Ward/Nash - 2way runner
Outside speed/class: Wingard/*Day/Bramble/Macdonald/*Impey or Jiath

• Start Jom on a wing i would back him in to beat his opponent most weeks.
  • Bramble will be wasted down back, Let Morrison play that role, Give him a go in the square playing a R.Laird role we have no replacements for Wingard.
  • Ward & Mac should play most weeks there is not enough reliable seniour skillfull players to keep them out.

Last edited:
The setup against the pies was horrible I re watched the 3rd quarter

Tom/Jom/Worpel got beaten 3 or 4 times in a row, Duke went in and joined Tom/Jom after, followed with Mitchell/Nash/Duke.

It didn't look like anyone was capable of breaking a line and hitting a target in any of these setups. The worst thing was the stagnet players they struggled to get a hand on a jumper when a clearance was going the other way giving our defenders no chance. Far to slow when the ball hit the deck it doesn't help without a dominate ruck granted.

100% if Mitch can solve the bermuda triangle the center square we should be competitve or we will bust.

Tom is a brownlow medalist let him hunt the ball he is as good as anyone.
It was clear as day how much we need Wingard in the mix and need to get Day up on the pill when he returns. I would say the 4 best line breakers in our side are Wingard,Bramble,Jiath,Impey. It doesn't help they are injured but two of these guys must start to feature at the stoppage to complement the
Tom,Worps,Nukes of the world!!!

Pick one of the following on each line for the center square.
Hunt the pill: Tom - when he is resting then Jom takes over that role. (halfback rest, Morrison to a wing, Jom on the ball)
2 way runner: Worps/Nuke/Ward/Nash - 2way runner
Outside speed/class: Wingard/*Day/Bramble/Macdonald/*Impey or Jiath

• Start Jom on a wing i would back him in to beat his opponent most weeks.
  • Bramble will be wasted down back, Let Morrison play that role, Give him a go in the square playing a R.Laird role we have no replacements for Wingard.
  • Ward & Mac should play most weeks there is not enough reliable seniour skillfull players to keep them out.
I think while adding some class in the middle would be very nice for the moment. I’m not sure it addresses the real problems we have in there.

We just can’t get our hands on the ball in contested situations. We could have all the class in the world. But if the opposition has the ball it won’t help us.

We lose track of our opponent in traffic, letting them get free. Plus when we all dogpile on the ball, we are letting the opposition walk it out.

Something that I think is also one of our biggest weaknesses is how bad our mids are one-on-one. We get beaten often in one-on-one which causes us to dogpile on rather than being able to rely on winning the ball.

Structures don’t work nearly as well when you keep losing 50-50 battles all game.

I think while adding some class in the middle would be very nice for the moment. I’m not sure it addresses the real problems we have in there.

We just can’t get our hands on the ball in contested situations. We could have all the class in the world. But if the opposition has the ball it won’t help us.

We lose track of our opponent in traffic, letting them get free. Plus when we all dogpile on the ball, we are letting the opposition walk it out.

Something that I think is also one of our biggest weaknesses is how bad our mids are one-on-one. We get beaten often in one-on-one which causes us to dogpile on rather than being able to rely on winning the ball.

Structures don’t work nearly as well when you keep losing 50-50 battles all game.
All of this rings very true.

Some games over the last 3 years I swear you could count on one hand the number of centre square clearances we won (an exaggeration but probably not by much)

As you say our minds often get beaten one on one and aren't great defensively, not a great combo!

As much as I have been a critic of Nash over the journey you could see our centre square dynamic change last season when he went on the ball as he could at the very least half a contest me apply a crunching tackle.

I come from a generation whereby if our rucks were getting beaten the mids would rove the opposition tap work.
NOT saying ruck position isn't important but our mids are often in no man's land and are clearly defensively mind set.

Freo had Sandilands for many yrs... Opposition simply sharked to his tap work.

I'm merely trying to highlight that our mids, with guys like Duke, need to be more aggressive, even feral, to win their share of the pill.

I'm expecting this against the tigers. Sammy is one of the all time best mids. Surely he can improve our set up and movement at the bounce. If our Rucks are getting beaten we can still win a centre clearance. BUT we need to put opposition mids under manic pressure.

Maybe they should get some tapes on Brad Sewell. Not the most gifted mid but a manic desperate opponent any AFL coach would love in the centre square.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back