Autopsy 2022 Community Series: Hawks v Tigers, 1:10pm March 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

Worps kicking has been disappointing. But it’s not the only thing he’s been struggling with. His clearances, disposal numbers, contested possessions and tackles are all not where they need to be. And are a low way off superstar level.

If he was on top of his game in all these aspects the kicking could be worked around.

I’m a big fan of him because I know he can play well. But he currently looks hesitant and unsure on the field. It’s all about him believing again and it clicking for him.
You forgot his signature move. The don't argue into pile driven into the dirt into HTB

People are underestimating the two practice games Worpel played if they think he's not being selected this weekend.

Thought he was easily our best mid alongside Newcombe against Collingwood.

Against Richmond he was third for us for total disposals, 5th for contested disposals, 1st for metres gained and 5th for overall ranking points.
I do agree that his kicking was poor, going at only 60% and registering a team high amount of clangers, but keep in mind that it was a pre-season game. Skills errors are always far more abundant this time of year.

People are underestimating the two practice games Worpel played if they think he's not being selected this weekend.

Against Richmond he was third for us for total disposals, 5th for contested disposals, 1st for metres gained and 5th for overall ranking points.
I do agree that his kicking was poor, going at only 60% and registering a team high amount of clangers, but keep in mind that it was a pre-season game. Skills errors are always far more abundant this time of year.
That pies game in particular he was very good.

For sure but one Worpel is young so there's that, Clarkos biggest issue was playing older players too long, i wouldn't mind it too much if it's a younger player.

Sam has worked close with him so knows alot about him and probably brings the best out of him, unless it gets bad as a i said where he may struggle in a slump mid season, i can't see him being dropped.
Worpel and Nash are the same age so you wouldn't be preferring Worpel on the grounds of age. In fact, you could make a stronger case the other way. Worpel has played more than twice the games and has plateaued whereas Nash has played only a handful of games in his preferred position and has heaps of upside.

Literally no one said this.

Worpel and Nash are the same age so you wouldn't be preferring Worpel on the grounds of age. In fact, you could make a stronger case the other way. Worpel has played more than twice the games and has plateaued whereas Nash has played only a handful of games in his preferred position and has heaps of upside.
I for one don’t rate Nash as highly as some. Maybe that’s it but he’s competing for Newcombe spot not Worpel.

There has been multiple posts alluding to a competition for a spot between Nash and Worpel.
They certainly appeared to be suggesting that it had to be one or the other come team selection night.
Yeah, but you shouldn't really be taking BigFooty posts as the basis for your arguments. Nash v Worpel is only a creation of the fans. Pretty sure Mitch is not sitting up at night saying 'Geez, do I pick Worps or Nash?'

There has been multiple posts alluding to a competition for a spot between Nash and Worpel.
They certainly appeared to be suggesting that it had to be one or the other come team selection night.
There is competition and it's a great thing. Most people, I think, assume that both will play. The observations that Worpel is under pressure are well founded. The inside mid stocks are improving and if a player doesn't perform, they will be under the pump. In our most recent game, Nash outperformed him and a lot of people don't have Nash in their 22s. Hell, some even have Maginness ahead.

Sam Mitchell is likely going to try some different combos + also pump games into guys he wants to be part of future (eg likely Nash). He’s also mentioned about trying to find a better balance of inside/outside mids. If Sam wants say Nash/Jai to play inside will be some interesting calls on the other mids, particularly if looking for better ball users.

putting on the coaches hat for round 1, i would select this team:

B: Hardwick, Hartigan, Frost
HB: Scrimshaw, Sicily, CJ

C: Phillips, T.Mitchell, Morrison
R: Lynch, Ward, Newcombe

HF: MacDonald, Gunston, Moore
F: Breust, Lewis, Koschitzke

INT: Nash, Worpel, Wingard, McEvoy

EMER: Reeves, JOM, Howe, DGB

Injured that would be a chance at being in the starting 22: Impey, Day, Bramble

It's obviously not going to happen, because it would be too risky and may upset some factions within the club, but i think on form and McEvoy being the captain, this would be my starting team, some people might not like Shiels, JOM or Reeves missing out, but i think this team is the in-form team and maybe only carries Gunston, Hartigan and McEvoy as players out of form atm.
Swap Phillips with Howe and I'm all in!

Irrespective of his stats saw some new/good signs from Worps in the two practise games. Looked more attacking and he seems quicker off the first few steps. He’s still young and can see him being part/leading our mid group for the long term. He is always striving to get better especially in the way he has always been in Sam’s back pocket reviewing everything about himself and his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. Joel Selwoods knock was that his kicking lacked penetration and could be an issue in his career, but he found a way around it . Hoping Worps can do something similar .
I hope he doesn't. I don't want him oiling his arms and doing all that sh!t that Selwood does. I'd rather he just practised his kicking.

No chance. We need to move away from a poor kicking midfield unit, and Worpel is probably the biggest offender of them all. JOM and Mitchell are both average kicks too, but they offer more in other areas.

Nash can at least offer real physicality and has the potential to be much more influential around the ball, which can make up for his average kicking under pressure. Never ever thought I'd be typing that out, but there it is.

We need a big step up from Worpel, hopefully he can turn it around. At least we he will work hard.
I am in tears right now. Considering the context, best post on this site I have read in a long time. Beautiful.

I am in tears right now. Considering the context, best post on this site I have read in a long time. Beautiful.

Yeah I hold my hand up and admit that I was wrong. Thankfully being wrong means there's been a good result for the club.

I suppose that's the difference between me and, say, someone the suffers from the Dunning-Kruger effect. But you wouldn't know anything about that now, would you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back