List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple To do list: 1) Pick good players 2) Do not pick bad players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vin Rogue

All Australian
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
If Geelong end up with Bowes and pick 7, they will likely split this 7 to use in trades for Bruhn and Henry. Would the draft watchers on here prefer to keep 14 & 17 or use these to trade for picks 7 & 37?
Not sure our first round draft pick selection has a history of success. However, our second round selections seem to be far more reliable in gaining successful footballers. Solution - Trade everything for three or four second round picks.

Membling

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
Not sure our first round draft pick selection has a history of success. However, our second round selections seem to be far more reliable in gaining successful footballers. Solution - Trade everything for three or four second round picks.

Always feel like we have a good track record from pick 25-45. 2018-22 we have:

25. Rowbottom
44. Jmac
26. Gould
36. E Taylor
39. The Chad
32. Gulden
34. Roberts
40. Corey Warner

Previous picks:
TMac, Maibaum, Hewett, Nankervis, AA, Parker, Reid, Hanners, Moore, Buchanon, Dempster, LRT and Goodes

Been a relatively happy hunting ground. I endorse this. Sell all the first rounders!

Chaisa

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 2, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
Breust is actually from Temora which is closer to Sydney and, while straddling the Barassi line, is definitely more league territory than AFL. Breust played a few games for our ressies as well I think, we could have drafted him but we passed.
Has at least a couple of cousins that were/are famous-ish NRL players too.

OTOH he also grew up playing juniors with the most recent Norm Smith Medalist. That part of the country feels very 50/50.

Vin Rogue

All Australian
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Always feel like we have a good track record from pick 25-45. 2018-22 we have:

25. Rowbottom
44. Jmac
26. Gould
36. E Taylor
39. The Chad
32. Gulden
34. Roberts
40. Corey Warner

Previous picks:
TMac, Maibaum, Hewett, Nankervis, AA, Parker, Reid, Hanners, Moore, Buchanon, Dempster, LRT and Goodes

Been a relatively happy hunting ground. I endorse this. Sell all the first rounders!
Stuff of dreams to think of selecting another Goodesie and LRT or Hanners and Parker. But we really do have history in this part of the draft. Rowbottom, the Chad and Gulden may well join the ranks of the Swans Immortals - the draft this year could possibly add a couple more legends. First you must believe.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I mean, it's been working.

2nd on the ladder with plenty of natural improvement in the list.

I get that we failed big time in the grandfinal, but we have to realise that we made a grand final with the list we have for a reason.
Don’t get me wrong I’m not one of these people that think you have to bring in new ready made players every year and trade for the sake of trading. I’m quite happy to continue with improvement from within this list but anyone that does not see we need a big bodied defender is either not watching the game ( comp wide ) or is just happy to go along with anything the club list management think. Our faith in this current list and our willingness to sit pat with it will come to fruition in the next couple of years. If we go backwards and other teams leapfrog us winning a flag before us from where we currently sit then it is a big fail. Going backwards does not mean not winning the flag next year it means staying top 4 and giving yourself the best chance in the next couple of years to salute. Bolster the list in the next couple of years with some young talent by all means but at the same time make sure the list stays at the level it is by having replacements for those who have been the catalysts but are now on the downside of the slope. Having said all that it’s a big job and a real balancing act for the list managers but make no mistake if we don’t cash in on what we have now its on them and the
club.

Jimbo OZ

Team Captain
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm happy to stay the course but I've said it before and I'll say it again - NOAH BALTA. He'd be perfect for us.

SGBeach

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Maybe we could shake out a young mid from a team like Brisbane now they have Dunkley or Richmond since the gws boys are on board and graham wants to stay. Seems like we can’t convince a 26 year old to come in to bolster our mid group so maybe we can snare one with 2/3 years development that can grow with our group.
I dont reckon we need to.. Mills (25yo), Warner (21yo), Rowbum (22yo) finished top three in our b&f. Their age and experience (or lack there of) in the midfield suggests that those three will continue to get both stronger and develop bigger tanks.. and continue to improve.
Cant forget to add Parker (4th in b&f) to mix. Then theres the many that run through there.. Then theres Sheldrick and Roberts.
I'd prefer to save both our draft and salary cap capital, and use on draftees rather than 3rd - 5th year players who would likely play in the reserves.

M F JONES

Team Captain
May 18, 2013
Where ever you go, there you are
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, Liverpool, Red Sox,
Don’t get me wrong I’m not one of these people that think you have to bring in new ready made players every year and trade for the sake of trading. I’m quite happy to continue with improvement from within this list but anyone that does not see we need a big bodied defender is either not watching the game ( comp wide ) or is just happy to go along with anything the club list management think. Our faith in this current list and our willingness to sit pat with it will come to fruition in the next couple of years. If we go backwards and other teams leapfrog us winning a flag before us from where we currently sit then it is a big fail. Going backwards does not mean not winning the flag next year it means staying top 4 and giving yourself the best chance in the next couple of years to salute. Bolster the list in the next couple of years with some young talent by all means but at the same time make sure the list stays at the level it is by having replacements for those who have been the catalysts but are now on the downside of the slope. Having said all that it’s a big job and a real balancing act for the list managers but make no mistake if we don’t cash in on what we have now its on them and the
club.
Agree 100% we need to go back and be selective like early 2000s - Recruit for a purpose..

I love our young kids, however the club saw fit to be productive at the trade table when we had these “Kids”

Goodes
Bolton
McVeigh
Fosdike
Mickey O
Etc…

Even if we say at that stage they were no longer kids further validates our current crop will need assistance while they develop

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
IMO the only players I'd look at trading in - if any - would be the Collier-Dawkins, Francis, Meek etc types.

Younger players who fit the age profile of our list. They might not be in our best 22 but they'd bolster the depth on our list which is really all we need I think given the quality of our list. They'd come cheap as chips. Nothing to lose, everything to gain type recruits.

Slingshot Footy

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
IMO the only players I'd look at trading in - if any - would be the Collier-Dawkins, Francis, Meek etc types.

Younger players who fit the age profile of our list. They might not be in our best 22 but they'd bolster the depth on our list which is really all we need I think given the quality of our list. They'd come cheap as chips. Nothing to lose, everything to gain type recruits.
We don't want a gluttony of players aged 21-23 though either, otherwise it'll be headache to manage our salary cap when they're all at their peek earning potential. A couple of 24-26 year old recruits would be perfect now and some project players through the next draft or two that will look the goods in 3-4 years.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
We don't want a gluttony of players aged 21-23 though either, otherwise it'll be headache to manage our salary cap when they're all at their peek earning potential. A couple of 24-26 year old recruits would be perfect now and some project players through the next draft or two that will look the goods in 3-4 years.
If a bunch of young recruits we've brought in are causing us salary cap headaches then that's a good thing, as it means they've been successful trades.

I'm also all for 24-26 year olds as well though as that's still relatively young.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney

I agree completely with your sentiment on the 24-26 demographic.

Just on the players you’ve named:

RCD seems to attract speculation every year. I’m not quite sure why - he wasn’t a particularly high draft pick, nor has he shown an awful lot. I do wonder if he’d attract the same talk if his name was John Smith. Having that said, 6 foot 4 and 93kg it’s easy to see why he does fit the modern midfielder prototype.

Meek could develop nicely - but we kinda went all-in on Ladhams by signing him for so many years. I’m not sure how many “hope for the best” rucks we can have on the list.

Francis seems the one with the most upside & definitely fills a need. I’d love to see him come to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Punts

Hall of Famer
Nov 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

2 of them are duds

Taylor abd brand types what’s the point

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
2 of them are duds

Taylor abd brand types what’s the point
In the hopes you get another Hickey?

At worst they are duds as you say and they stay in the VFL and make us competitive there.

At best they can tap into whatever potential they were unable to at their original club and be stars for us.

A satisfactory middle ground would be them at least being quality depth players who could play roles for us without being debacles at the highest level - like Clarke or, until this year, Fox.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree completely with your sentiment on the 24-26 demographic.

Just on the players you’ve named:

RCD seems to attract speculation every year. I’m not quite sure why - he wasn’t a particularly high draft pick, nor has he shown an awful lot. I do wonder if he’d attract the same talk if his name was John Smith. Having that said, 6 foot 4 and 93kg it’s easy to see why he does fit the modern midfielder prototype.

Meek could develop nicely - but we kinda went all-in on Ladhams by signing him for so many years. I’m not sure how many “hope for the best” rucks we can have on the list.

Francis seems the one with the most upside & definitely fills a need. I’d love to see him come to the club.
I mean I wasn't advocating for them specifically. Just more their types - young players who for whatever reason haven't come good at their current clubs and who would come cheap.

Just on RCD though, he was pick 20 in the 2018 draft. Worth remembering that it was considered the deepest draft in at least a decade, and recruiters were saying that a second round pick in that draft was equivalent to a first round pick in regular drafts. So there was clearly a reason RCD was rated so highly as a junior, he just hasn't kicked on for a number of reasons.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I mean I wasn't advocating for them specifically. Just more their types - young players who for whatever reason haven't come good at their current clubs and who would come cheap.

Just on RCD though, he was pick 20 in the 2018 draft. Worth remembering that it was considered the deepest draft in at least a decade, and recruiters were saying that a second round pick in that draft was equivalent to a first round pick in regular drafts. So there was clearly a reason RCD was rated so highly as a junior, he just hasn't kicked on for a number of reasons.
Fair points.

As an aside - the 2018 draft is my favourite draft of all time.

Look at the players picked from 20 onwards. There are two that stand out: J.Rowbottom and J.McInerney.

Add the Lizard, and it was a sparkling evening of extraordinary recruiting guru-ness.

M F JONES

Team Captain
May 18, 2013
Where ever you go, there you are
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, Liverpool, Red Sox,
Fair points.

Look at the players picked from 20 onwards. There are two that stand out: J.Rowbottom and J.McInerney.

Add the Lizard, and it was a sparkling evening of extraordinary recruiting guru-ness.
How we traded in and out on draft night to get Blakey was Gold, took quite a few by surprise, I think by memory we had a mathematician on our table…. Great thinking

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Fearless prediction: we are going to shock everyone by announcing out-of-the-blue that Bowes is becoming a Swan.

Basis: we were the club that bid on him in 2016 (Gold Coast matched). Interest is unlikely to have waned. Hard to see the Swans sitting passively in the face of such an enticing deal.

Heeney2Franklin

Hall of Famer
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree 100% we need to go back and be selective like early 2000s - Recruit for a purpose..

I love our young kids, however the club saw fit to be productive at the trade table when we had these “Kids”

Goodes
Bolton
McVeigh
Fosdike
Mickey O
Etc…

Even if we say at that stage they were no longer kids further validates our current crop will need assistance while they develop

Remember we gave our first round pick (19) for Ted Richards a cornerstone which contributed to our success in 2012.

Wheresbuddy

All Australian
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Fearless prediction: we are going to shock everyone by announcing out-of-the-blue that Bowes is becoming a Swan.

Basis: we were the club that bid on him in 2016 (Gold Coast matched). Interest is unlikely to have waned. Hard to see the Swans sitting passively in the face of such an enticing deal.
He will be on more money than Chad

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Fair points.

Zac Foot was another who could've been something if it weren't for COVID cuts, but yeah I suspect when all is said and done, 2018 will be the draft that Beatson & Dalrymple will hang their hats on.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Is it an enticing deal if we'd have to pay way more than what he's worth?

I have no idea what he's on but if it's even in the ballpark of what is being reported then he ain't worth it..

Remove this Banner Ad