List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Where I'm confused is why everything out of the Swans camp is how it's somewhat top 8-10 players or bust in this year's draft. Like we've ever needed a top 8-10 pick, or ever drafted according to top 8-10 hype. Beatson's literally made a career on finding countless players outside of that top 8-10 range who end up better than half the blokes inside that 8-10 range. This year he seems to be waving the white flag. Has he lost faith in his drafting ability? Is he in his depressive indie grunge phase? What's going on with him

My bet, smoke and mirrors.

Where I'm confused is why everything out of the Swans camp is how it's somewhat top 8-10 players or bust in this year's draft. Like we've ever needed a top 8-10 pick, or ever drafted according to top 8-10 hype. Beatson's literally made a career on finding countless players outside of that top 8-10 range who end up better than half the blokes inside that 8-10 range. This year he seems to be waving the white flag. Has he lost faith in his drafting ability? Is he in his depressive indie grunge phase? What's going on with him
I've been thinking about this....
1. I just cannot see us drafting Busslinger, a KPD, with two first rounders. As good as he is. We just picked up Francis who is only 26 next year. Does not make sense to me.
2. I'm not sure any mid after Tsatas or Humprey is worth two first rounders, when we already have a plethora of young mids. Not two first rounders.
3. Maybe for a KPF in Jefferson. I can see the sense in that. We won't be around the top picks likely in the next 5 years so lock away a KPF.
4. Maybe a trade up to 10 is followed by another trade up to top six.
5. or maybe they just want extra picks next year because they have something in mind there.

Who knows. But I'm sure they have something or things in mind. Makes it more intriguing.

They're absolutely fishing for offers imo 🎣

Clearly's story on Friday morning about the trading board ratifying a move to trade etc yeah that was planted

Agree on fishing to see what is put on offer. Smart choice as someone may be desparate for 14 and offer us something juice if there is a slider 🤷

You think we're actually keen to keep 14 & 17 and we really like the players possibly available around there?

Not sure if keen keen to keep them but definitely muddying the water.

Looking at the players around our mark ie Jefferson, Busslinger, Hayes, Hewett, Weddle etc etc they are all somewhat needs for the clubs around us.

All I hope is that we do not use 17 to go back and get a F2 as the F2 will likepy be eaten up by an academy year.

Additionally, we should be looking to go tall as we have Cleary and Cabor on the academy radar next year plus potentially Hawkins, Rogers and Lugkins. All mids/flankers IIRC

I like the idea of taking Barnett, even if it costs us a late first round pick. He's extremely mobile given his height and offers everything you want in a modern ruckman. I checked out O'Keefe's highlights and he's nowhere near the quality of Barnett, plus he seems 2 years behind in terms of development/ body size etc. Barnett may cost us more in terms of draft capital, but we're at the stage where we can afford to invest in bringing quality into the club, so for that reason i think Barnett is worth a first round pick.

Having thought a little more (edit:assuming the Carlton pick swap)
1. We already traded in a KPD. Francis. tick.
2. If we get Jefferson. KPF. tick.
3. A mid or smaller type with pick 42. tick.
4. Rookie a ruck. tick.
5. Take 2nd Cat A to mid season draft.
6. Cat B rookie. Edwards or someone else.

That is a draft/trade haul of
KPD
KPF
Cat A Ruck
Mid
Cat A on someone else or mid season draft
Cat B on Edwards or someone else

Plus if we took the Carlton pick swap we have an extra F2.

I would be very happy with that. Addresses all our talls, some steak knives and an extra F2 next year.

There has to be an element of this but not totally. Beatson has said in previous years that we throw decoys all the time. He's playing 3D chess and we have no idea what his real next move is.

I still think of the trade we did to protect our first rounder for when Blakey was bid on, and then we did some crazy switch with West Coast and ended up with a pick to get Rowbottom.

I think we still take 3 players in the main draft regardless of what we do with picks 14 & 17. If we trade out any of our first rounders we will use our current fourth round pick (pick 69) on a player. It will end up being in the 50s anyway. If we use 14, 17, and 42 as normal then we will trade out this pick to Brisbane for their future fourth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the impression KB and SD not too impressed by the talls this year nor are they really hot on any of the mids or smalls around the range of our two first rounders. If that's the case, makes sense to either move up or bank some capital for the future. I trust they will know best.

I suspect most people on this board deep down think they would make a good recruiter though I suspect I would just turn out like Dodo.
Just revisited my draft wish-lists from 2017-2020. Reads like a who's-who of players who have been delisted, who aren't far off being delisted, or who were never even drafted at all.

If you'd be Dodoro then I'd be the St Kilda recruiter.

If we were to do the deal with Carlton and get pick 11, who would we want to use that for?
Busslinger, Allan or Jefferson.

It might be Hollands. He might strengthen our midfield long term as a elite running player who can get to every contest. He also seems to have decent disposal under pressure.

Alternatively pick 10 seems a good spot to pick up a high ranked mid that unexpectedly slides. Or puts us in a better position if we want to live trade to an earlier pick.

I actually don't mind keeping 14, 17 and maybe going for players like Weddle, George or Barnett. But maybe the club thinks they can get a mid in the top 10 that improves our best 22 long term. Rather than mid like Hotton, Hustwaite, Hewett and Allen who are more likely there in the teens. Then maybe get Edwards as a Cat B KPD. Then a young ruck with a later pick.

Last edited:
It might be Hollands. He might strengthen our midfield long term as a elite running player who can get to every contest. He also seems to have decent disposal under pressure.

Alternatively pick 10 seems a good spot to pick up a high ranked mid that unexpectedly slides. Or puts us in a better position if we want to live trade to an earlier pick.

I actually don't mind keeping 14, 17 and maybe going for players like Weddle, George or Barnett. But maybe the club thinks they can get a mid in the top 10 that improves our best 22 long term. Rather than mid like Hotton, Hustwaite, Hewett and Allen who are more likely there in the teens. Then maybe get Edwards as a Cat B KPD. Then a young ruck with a later pick.

I may be in the minority here but whenever I hear a player described as "an elite runner" as one of their primary upsides I immediately do not want them. I can't remember the last time a player like that turned out to be a gun player.

I suspect most people on this board deep down think they would make a good recruiter though I suspect I would just turn out like Dodo.

Well, I mean, if someone pays me to watch footy I wouldn't complain 🤷

But alas, can only make relatively uninformed punts on BF from watching replays 🤣

Beatson just strongly implied that if given the choice between a key forward and a key defender we would pick the key forward as that is a greater need with Buddy and Reid winding down.
I agree, we don't have a player on our list who looks likely of kicking 50+ goals in a season. That's a big hole to fill, and neither McLean nor Amartey could hold down a spot

My takeaways from the Beatson interview on AFL.com;

As RUNVS says Beatson mentioned KPF more an area of concern than KPD
I also thought he gave a bit of a clip to Amartey. Mentioned he had some niggles, club still has hope for him, but needs to start to perform to the expected level on a constant basis
KB said top 7 in draft, than a further fairly clear 10 and from thereon fairly level
Likely to take 3 picks, one rookie and probably leave one spot open for SPP/mid-season draft
Open to all trades, up, out, back, either or both 1st rounders or we stay pat. Adamant that we need to be represented in 2nd rd.
Identified we have some holes and that we'd look at delisted players (more in reference to rookies). I was left with the impression (rightly or wrongly) that a mature age ruck may be on our radar (answer was initially in response to a Twomey question about losing Naismith/Sinclair).
A surfeit of HB flankers in draft pool.
Name checked Noah Long. Barnett was also mentioned in ruck discussion.

Of course it's Kinnear so be prepared for bluff and double bluff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back