List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Think some of us need to calm down a little on here. Our recruitment staff have been on top of their game for a few seasons now so am personally going to back them in.

Also think we may of hit some needs anyways.

Small forward - Papley, Wicks... Who else is there? (Don't we all want Campbell and Sheldrick up the ground or in the guts)?

Outside runners - McInerney has been playing a fair bit in defence, Florents move looks permanent and we have been trying to bring in wing players for a few seasons now, there is also every chance that Stephens eventually develops into an inside/ outside hybrid player so we could use an extra outside player to develop.

Small defender - Llyod won't be around forever, Cunningham sadly looks past it, we have also lost COR so are lacking in depth here. Vickery has great composure, reads the ball well and has skills to burn, I love this selection here.

Stupid question but do we know roughly when the numbers will be announced for our new players? Just want them for my spreadsheet

Also as for my thoughts on the picks, let Kinnear do his thing guys goddammit lmao. You'd think people would know by now that he and Dalrymple know what they're doing. I remember not liking the McInerney pick for a whole year after it was made. Look at the *er now, he's easily best 22.

Konstanty - Small forward was a need, we got the pressure maniac who took inspiration from Papley, bloody perfect.

Vickery - HBF's are the hardest position to predict how they'll go at the AFL level (well ok 2nd to rucks) so bolting on Vickery when Cowan is on the board isn't an issue. Also yeah the position was a need even if not the biggest one.

Mitchell - Wing isn't a position of need but his skillset looks like it could translate into a sort of inside/outside/forward hybrid player that could be a valuable swiss army knife. Also he's even more proof of how much we value a players draft year performance, as he wasn't even in draft considerations 12 months ago

No KPD - Will Edwards is still up for grabs if we want him, if not we just traded in Aaron Francis. There's no rush to get a young one, but I will admit it should be done sooner rather than later. Also did you guys not listen to our draft interviews? No chance we were taking a KPD

No KPF - McDonald, McLean, and Amartey are all young enough. No rush to get a young one yet, but again I will admit it should be a focus next year if both Buddy and Reid retire.

No Ruck - Y'all are clowns if you think we need a ruckman that isn't a mature 4th option. Ladhams needs at least one year as a #1.

My level of faith in our recruiting team, particularly Beatson, is very high. I have two points of mild skepticism but I think even they are mild enough to not be major concerns.

I hope that the idea that Dalrymple loves mid types is really just that - an idea. Whilst I've loved most of our picks since he joined us, and I'm aware this year the club didn't rate the KPP prospects, in the back of my mind there's this nagging worry that an affinity for those types will leave our list like the Bulldogs list was left at the time of Dalrymple's departure: full of mids and flankers, dire in the talls department. And haven't they paid for it ever since. This fear is balanced somewhat by Dalrymple's recruitment of English & Naughton with early picks, which I don't think someone with an aversion to tall timber would do.

And our list is becoming increasingly populated by lighter, fleet-footed outside types (of various positions): Stephens, Clarke, Cunningham, Hayward, Florent, Campbell, Gulden, McInerney, Warner Jr., Rankin, Hall-Kahan, Lloyd, and now Vickery & Mitchell. Once again, only a little nagging worry, but one that is saying we run the risk of becoming GWS/Essendon 2.0: full of flashy, dynamic and highly skilled outside players who simply can't offer the grunt, ticker and work-rate, but it becomes too lopsided in their favour and infects the whole team. This fear is balanced somewhat by the reminder that our coach is John Longmire, who does not accept a lack of effort regardless of position.

I really think we're in good hands. It's become cliché to say at this point, but I trust the process.

So, caught up now. I still fail to see how we didn't need a couple of talls but if it's not deemed a depth issue so be it.

Not against the player picks themselves (I somewhat trust they know what they are doing) but the value left on the table hurts a bit. I just can't imagine those 2 players were not available 10 pick later in each case. It's also hard to imagine there wasn't a trade down available that might have banked some capital in next years draft... anyway. That was a fizzer from my point of view.

My overall view across both days combined is a bit... meh.... nice we have a few picks for next year, a bit more speed and urgency into the team but i can't help but think holding firm would have got us Weddle, Barnett and our flyer at 40 which I think is a much better balance. An earlier trade with GWS probably suits all parties in the end.

Been saying it for a few days now... must go tall tomorrow

Yeah, given we'd nominated Edwards I'd moved on from a KPD as a main need, well, at least behind ruck and KPF. If we picked another it could mean that a McCartin could go forward (again) in a couple of years though.

Paddy has been pretty clear about his preference to play down back. I think the Club listens to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Through non draft methods we have brought in Ladhams, Francis, and Paddy in the last 2 years.

I realise the issues that we may have down the track, but I really do think that we understand the need for tall timber.
Ladhams wanted out of Port after playing most of the year in a team that made a prelim, not a common occurrence. Paddy was luck that he wanted/could return to footy and we had his brother, though we did take the chance. Not really a sustainable model. Francis yep, I said with him and Edwards a KPD is less important.

It's not about bringing in talls for the sake of it, to meet some height quota, it's about having any players in a position at all if we cop an injury or someone is out of form, though they could also be better than what we have. As it stands, for 2024 we have only McAndrew as a ruck (probably not ready) and no KPFs outside of the 22, which will need to include Ladhams, Amartey, McLean and one of Gould/Francis already.

Think some of us need to calm down a little on here. Our recruitment staff have been on top of their game for a few seasons now so am personally going to back them in.

Also think we may of hit some needs anyways.

Small forward - Papley, Wicks... Who else is there? (Don't we all want Campbell and Sheldrick up the ground or in the guts)?

Outside runners - McInerney has been playing a fair bit in defence, Florents move looks permanent and we have been trying to bring in wing players for a few seasons now, there is also every chance that Stephens eventually develops into an inside/ outside hybrid player so we could use an extra outside player to develop.

Small defender - Llyod won't be around forever, Cunningham sadly looks past it, we have also lost COR so are lacking in depth here. Vickery has great composure, reads the ball well and has skills to burn, I love this selection here.
There's a bunch of players who have and can do a small forward role, similarly half back (not actual defenders) / wing. We have several in reserves already too. I'm not saying we should never draft these types, but find it hard to believe that all 3 we took were miles ahead in potential than any ruck or KPF options that we did have access to (and readily got taken). Our recruiters are top tier, but the gap isn't that big that others have no idea what they're doing (well, maybe some don't).

Also, how do people still talk about Lloyd as a small defender in the same breath as Cunningham, COR etc. He isn't a defender, he's a half back. I agree that small/med (actual) defender is a moderate need, so if Vickery and Mitchell can offer something in that regard, great.

That thing no one likes to be reminded of is the fact that most draftees don't last with us. It's all very nice and sentimental to look at kids after we draft them and think "200 gamer here." Reality just doesn't work that way.

Of the players we took in the ten national drafts between 2010 and 2019, only 56% of them are still on AFL lists, only 33% of them are still on our list, and only 31% of them are still in our team.

And that's with one of the best recruitment teams in the competition. I imagine most other clubs' records are even worse. The odds just aren't with a club when it comes to the draft.

So the last thing you want to do is stack those odds even higher against you by drafting players whose ability you don't rate, whose personality might not suit your club, or whose character flaws could limit their development.
You make good points, but I'd have thought that players are also more likely to play and stay in the AFL if the team they are at has spots in their position in the near future, than if they accumulate players where they already have depth.

Maybe the ones (latter two anyway) we got are better than the Florent, JMac, Stephens, Gulden, Blakey and Campbell's of the world, but they are the ones they'll probably have to replace. I know you get this though.

Also as for my thoughts on the picks, let Kinnear do his thing guys goddammit lmao. You'd think people would know by now that he and Dalrymple know what they're doing. I remember not liking the McInerney pick for a whole year after it was made. Look at the *er now, he's easily best 22.

Konstanty - Small forward was a need, we got the pressure maniac who took inspiration from Papley, bloody perfect.

Vickery - HBF's are the hardest position to predict how they'll go at the AFL level (well ok 2nd to rucks) so bolting on Vickery when Cowan is on the board isn't an issue. Also yeah the position was a need even if not the biggest one.

Mitchell - Wing isn't a position of need but his skillset looks like it could translate into a sort of inside/outside/forward hybrid player that could be a valuable swiss army knife. Also he's even more proof of how much we value a players draft year performance, as he wasn't even in draft considerations 12 months ago

No KPD - Will Edwards is still up for grabs if we want him, if not we just traded in Aaron Francis. There's no rush to get a young one, but I will admit it should be done sooner rather than later. Also did you guys not listen to our draft interviews? No chance we were taking a KPD

No KPF - McDonald, McLean, and Amartey are all young enough. No rush to get a young one yet, but again I will admit it should be a focus next year if both Buddy and Reid retire.

No Ruck - Y'all are clowns if you think we need a ruckman that isn't a mature 4th option. Ladhams needs at least one year as a #1.
Yes, we're clowns for pointing out that in 1 years time, Ladhams is the only ruck on our list capable of rucking a full game at AFL level and not getting smashed. People can say that a draftee won't be ready by then, but maybe it's the best we can do. It's a risk to wait and see what options there are for mature agers next year, it's not a given there'll be one that's good.

Also when the 3 KPFs you mention all have to be in the 22 in 1 years time, who do we have to put pressure on them, replace them if needed? A new draftee, where we probably miss out on all the good KPFs again anyway?

Yes, we're clowns for pointing out that in 1 years time, Ladhams is the only ruck on our list capable of rucking a full game at AFL level and not getting smashed. People can say that a draftee won't be ready by then, but maybe it's the best we can do. It's a risk to wait and see what options there are for mature agers next year, it's not a given there'll be one that's good.

Also when the 3 KPFs you mention all have to be in the 22 in 1 years time, who do we have to put pressure on them, replace them if needed? A new draftee, where we probably miss out on all the good KPFs again anyway?

They will have a plan, whether it be a short term trade idea for a tall forward. Next year we have assets, yes we will need some for our academy kids but the pick swap with Hawthorn enables us to match and match easily, potentially just lose our first rounder next year (and keep the Hawks f2). You need to trust the process a bit and not think Rome was built in a day so to speak. There were not any calls worth our selection, the 3 that were went before our first selection, what do you honestly want us to do? I would much rather take the 3 we took than take a tall just because he's tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back