List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh no, Magor is good, just meant that with the players not getting picked it'd have been nice to have another spot.

For me this will sound bad but I’m glad we don’t. Next year yes the depth is likely better. Think we did as good as we could have out of a very shallow draft.

Very happy with the Jaiden Magor pick, the Will Edwards and Cameron Owen picks were just good for positional necessity and I like the former as a prospect (obviously I know bugger all about Owen)
Clearly I'd have preferred the consensus best in Barnett, but if we picked Owen, we see something and given it's a position we need, happy enough.

Being able to choose between Szybkowski, D'Aloia and Magor, but going with Magor is unexpected, but happy to go with the recruiters on this. We were going to be light on for inside mids at reserves level so it's good to have another developing away. He can clearly kick some goals too.

For me this will sound bad but I’m glad we don’t. Next year yes the depth is likely better. Think we did as good as we could have out of a very shallow draft.
A rookie pick is 1 year, MSD can be for 6 months. Wouldn't have to factor in, if the player starts off well, you'd be happy with that.

Pre draft Beatson was saying we'd keep a spot open for the SPP/MSD and only take 1 Cat A selection.

Happy when Magor was available we threw that plan out of the window (of course unless Mr Beatson was telling furphies).

I was surprised Magor wasn't selected in the ND and really happy with his selection, even if it leaves us with a lot of medium sized forwards.
I wonder (assuming the players come on) if it will mean more midfield minutes for Papley?

Pre draft Beatson was saying we'd keep a spot open for the SPP/MSD and only take 1 Cat A selection.

Happy when Magor was available we threw that plan out of the window (of course unless Mr Beatson was telling furphies).

I was surprised Magor wasn't selected in the ND and really happy with his selection, even if it leaves us with a lot of medium sized forwards.
I wonder (assuming the players come on) if it will mean more midfield minutes for Papley?
please-dont-do-this-35099990.png

Agreed, I still would like Szybkowski (how tf do you spell it lol)
Yeah I don't know how he didn't get drafted. I thought he could go in the late 20s. But look, Magor is probably an inside mid for us, just one who can roll forward and kick a few too. That we had the choice of a few inside mids and went with Magor, I'm ok with. He's not your typical half forward type who can play a bit of outside mid and forward.

Yeah I don't know how he didn't get drafted. I thought he could go in the late 20s. But look, Magor is probably an inside mid for us, just one who can roll forward and kick a few too. That we had the choice of a few inside mids and went with Magor, I'm ok with. He's not your typical half forward type who can play a bit of outside mid and forward.

Yeah he’s more your hybrid mid/FWD teams love dual position players.

Unless Konstanty is playing r1 (he won’t) Paps is staying forward

For me coming into the trade/draft period, the main needs (imo) were:

KPD - ✅ - Francis then nominating Edwards meant that this slid to below Ruck and KPF for me. Fair job.

Ruck -❓- I'll give us a pass because we drafted one. Not where/who I hoped, but we now have 2 developing rucks in reserves who might be our main rucks there for large chunks in 2023. One of them might be ready for a couple of games if Ladhams goes down in 2024/25.

KPF - :crossmark: - I don't buy the idea that a) we'll go to only 2 KPFs in the near future, b) we'll magically trade one in next year, or c) we'll get one of the highly rated draftees next year, but with the pick swap, we might be able to grab maybe the 2nd or 3rd best. Hopefully Amartey, McLean kick on and we're blessed with injury, or it could be a few frustrating years in 24/25 while the rest of the team is ripe for flags.

Inside Mid - ✅ - I don't think we're weak in this area, we have a mostly developing core, and some others who could play there, either at reserves level, or in other positions in our 22. But we were light on in reserves for next year and it's good to have a full complement developing there too. Magor is a value get. Wasn't even sure he'd be around at pick 40. I'm hoping he's the next Warner, but with even more goals (how's that for optimism).

Small/Med Defender - ✅ - at first reaction I thought we'd drafted some pure half back / wing types in Vickery and Mitchell, but then actually listening to the recruiters and the players, there's some potential in more defensive/hybrid roles, so that's a positive. COR leaving, Fox and Cunningham getting on, but with a couple of years left, might work out to be timely if at least one of these makes it. Given the success at converting Smith and Cunningham into small defenders, I'll give this a tick.

Konstanty - I don't think Small Fwd was a need really, but he looks good, so here's to him and Paps sticking it to defences for years to come.

Verdict - Clearly I think we could have taken a punt on one of the KPF types that got selected after our picks started, given how questionable even Kinnear thinks our stocks are. But the pick swap was great for next year, the bids were good moves, some players that aren't drastic needs, but the recruiters obviously love, and finally we landed a ruck and then a value inside mid/fwd via the rookie draft, so my mood has improved today.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the only thing I’ll say Bloods86 is that the two key forwards were out of our range. We tried to trade up there were no takers. Though if we got the Carlton pick I’d have been amazed if we passed Hollands or Busslinger anyway

Yeah he’s more your hybrid mid/FWD teams love dual position players.
Yeah, but he's an inside mid/fwd rather than the outside/fwd hybrid. Hopefully more the Warner type. He'll probably play more inside mid at reserves level, but his goal kicking gives him an avenue into the seniors if we have a spot open up (like a Heeney, Hayward injury).

Yeah, but he's an inside mid/fwd rather than the outside/fwd hybrid. Hopefully more the Warner type. He'll probably play more inside mid at reserves level, but his goal kicking gives him an avenue into the seniors if we have a spot open up (like a Heeney, Hayward injury).

Gives some depth to your Sheldrick types, we needed some depth in that area and he was way too good to pass up at that range

Yeah the only thing I’ll say Bloods86 is that the two key forwards were out of our range. We tried to trade up there were no takers. Though if we got the Carlton pick I’d have been amazed if we passed Hollands or Busslinger anyway
I'm talking about Gruzewski, Keeler and a couple of the other types (e.g. Lemmey, or Foster who went to the Cats, perennial rubbish recruiters) that got picked up.

I'm talking about Gruzewski, Keeler and a couple of the other types (e.g. Lemmey, or Foster who went to the Cats, perennial rubbish recruiters) that got picked up.

Lemmey I wouldn’t have been against the rest had not interest personally, especially one of them lol

We'll retire someone if we want a selection at the MSD.

For me coming into the trade/draft period, the main needs (imo) were:

KPD - ✅ - Francis then nominating Edwards meant that this slid to below Ruck and KPF for me. Fair job.

Ruck -❓- I'll give us a pass because we drafted one. Not where/who I hoped, but we now have 2 developing rucks in reserves who might be our main rucks there for large chunks in 2023. One of them might be ready for a couple of games if Ladhams goes down in 2024/25.

KPF - :crossmark: - I don't buy the idea that a) we'll go to only 2 KPFs in the near future, b) we'll magically trade one in next year, or c) we'll get one of the highly rated draftees next year, but with the pick swap, we might be able to grab maybe the 2nd or 3rd best. Hopefully Amartey, McLean kick on and we're blessed with injury, or it could be a few frustrating years in 24/25 while the rest of the team is ripe for flags.

Inside Mid - ✅ - I don't think we're weak in this area, we have a mostly developing core, and some others who could play there, either at reserves level, or in other positions in our 22. But we were light on in reserves for next year and it's good to have a full complement developing there too. Magor is a value get. Wasn't even sure he'd be around at pick 40. I'm hoping he's the next Warner, but with even more goals (how's that for optimism).

Small/Med Defender - ✅ - at first reaction I thought we'd drafted some pure half back / wing types in Vickery and Mitchell, but then actually listening to the recruiters and the players, there's some potential in more defensive/hybrid roles, so that's a positive. COR leaving, Fox and Cunningham getting on, but with a couple of years left, might work out to be timely if at least one of these makes it. Given the success at converting Smith and Cunningham into small defenders, I'll give this a tick.

Konstanty - I don't think Small Fwd was a need really, but he looks good, so here's to him and Paps sticking it to defences for years to come.

Verdict - Clearly I think we could have taken a punt on one of the KPF types that got selected after our picks started, given how questionable even Kinnear thinks our stocks are. But the pick swap was great for next year, the bids were good moves, some players that aren't drastic needs, but the recruiters obviously love, and finally we landed a ruck and then a value inside mid/fwd via the rookie draft, so my mood has improved today.
This sums up my feelings. The only thing I'll add, while it's good to have a big key forward there's no reason Amartey or McLean or another tall can't provide that service today.

The last time we won the GF our key forwards were LRT and Reid. Neither were kicking bags but provided the height and strength to bring others into play. I don't see why McLean can't do that, he already has in patches. He just needs to strong it together more often

Clearly I'd have preferred the consensus best in Barnett, but if we picked Owen, we see something and given it's a position we need, happy enough.

Being able to choose between Szybkowski, D'Aloia and Magor, but going with Magor is unexpected, but happy to go with the recruiters on this. We were going to be light on for inside mids at reserves level so it's good to have another developing away. He can clearly kick some goals too.
Magor certainly reads like a gamble worth taking....if not for that two month injury may have been far more prominent.

Noticed a couple of quotes from Dalrymple today;
"It was busy because we were organised," Dalrymple said."(ESPN) and
"We were really well prepared through Chris Keane, who did a lot of the preparation work in terms of scenarios and trades on the run." (Swans website)

I've noticed it with Beatson as well that the recruiting/list mgt people are happy to give credit where credit is due and really do work as a team.
And the first quote a backhander to other teams that may have been less well prepared?
(eg GWS who could have had a trade ready to swap their First rounder to say Melbourne for a 2023 pick(s) and used later picks to match the Rowston bid and if they wished trade back into the draft using that 2023 pick).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back