List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Sadly Kaelan Bradtke invited to train at Richmond , looked good in our ressies , not happy

He might not get a contract but reckon that'll be him done for our VFL team too. Really wanted him as a rookie.... if we'd just taken Barnett we wouldn't have needed a rookie ruck and Bradtke would be at Sydney. But I digress.... again.

Have a feeling McLean and Amartey needed the competition/rocket too.

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
For the next draft thread can we add threadmarks for when the ND started and when our picks were. Reading this thread is incredibly painful.
Everyone should have just listened to my Draft predictions and Thread over. Simple as that. I win the thread.

I think we will pick someone with two legs for our first pick, and our second pick will have two arms. Iknow, I'm going out on a limb here
By the way. This ^ is comedy gold and deserved far more likes than it got.

What was Bradtke like when he played for your VFL team?

he looked good. Mobile and a good kick. Seemed to relish physical contact.

Peter German, his coach is a strong advocate

A few of us were keen on him getting picked up.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
For the record;

Harley Reid (probably the consensus #1 pick at this stage) and Jed Walter (GC Academy) were the two underagers in the 2022 U18 AA team.

And rookieme's top23 (plus) players to watch in 2023;

23 in 2023: A look ahead to next year’s top prospects

From the 'plus' section;
Speaking of the NAB League, the Allied states will have a good bunch of players take hold as they represent the Northern Academies. Sydney has access to speedsters Caiden Cleary and Lachlan Cabor

(Mods worthwhile copying/moving to locked 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals thread?)

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Sadly Kaelan Bradtke invited to train at Richmond , looked good in our ressies , not happy
Ehhh, I'm just happy to see players not picked up by us getting a chance in other clubs. I think there were only 4 NSW blokes picked in the draft this year, which isn't enough. Need to get to the point where other clubs have a few NSW blokes running around.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
As I noted previously, Sydney cannot get an A+.

That grade is reserved for Essendon.

Instead, we will be given a C- …. with an accompanying note that “Sydney upset rival clubs with their aggressive bidding strategy, but ultimately was prepared to move down the order with an eye towards the 2023 draft”.
How close I was.

ShireSwan

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
For the record;

Harley Reid (probably the consensus #1 pick at this stage) and Jed Walter (GC Academy) were the two underagers in the 2022 U18 AA team.

And rookieme's top23 (plus) players to watch in 2023;

23 in 2023: A look ahead to next year’s top prospects

From the 'plus' section;
Speaking of the NAB League, the Allied states will have a good bunch of players take hold as they represent the Northern Academies. Sydney has access to speedsters Caiden Cleary and Lachlan Cabor

(Mods worthwhile copying/moving to locked 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals thread?)

Lucky we went with the top level marking ruck we needed and a really good KPD or forward given we have access to a couple of speedsters from the academy next year. We would have looked right knobs picking a few speedy flankers this year. Phew.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
How close I was.

Yep pretty much spot on (from you). :thumbsu:

Mind you it's bloody ridiculous for any of the so called draft experts to rate any club's draft haul two days after the event.*

In the media thread Ticky009 posted a Mongrel Punt review/grading of the 2018 draft;

Much more sensible to start rating a draft performance with that timescale.

* Plus they are probably still recovering from the whack Beatson gave them.

Yep pretty much spot on (from you). :thumbsu:

Mind you it's bloody ridiculous for any of the so called draft experts to rate any club's draft haul two days after the event.*

In the media thread Ticky009 posted a Mongrel Punt review/grading of the 2018 draft;

Much more sensible to start rating a draft performance with that timescale.

* Plus they are probably still recovering from the whack Beatson gave them.
The whole notion of media figures/journos rating draft hauls immediately after the events just stinks of arrogance. It suggests that they, the pundits, know better than the recruiters, despite not being privy to a shred of the intel that the recruiters have.

Regarding the 2018 draft, I'm not even sure that four years is an adequate amount of time to be rating drafts. The first four years of a player's career are still part of the development stage. There's a reason very few players are at the peak of their powers within their first four years. A player like Dane Rampe wasn't even in the AFL at the same age as the kids in that article. Gary Ablett Jr. would still be two years away from his first All Australian season at the same age as the kids in that article.

So they are really just judging players' developments, rather than their careers, which IMO is the only thing a draft can be judged on. But I agree that it's a lot better than judging a draft before the draftees have even had their first training session.

Maximumlnsanity

All Australian
Nov 10, 2020
Hobart
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Lucky we went with the top level marking ruck we needed and a really good KPD or forward given we have access to a couple of speedsters from the academy next year. We would have looked right knobs picking a few speedy flankers this year. Phew.
Go back 12 months and everyone thought Billy King was gonna be drafted out of our academy, turns out he didn't even get close. Go back 3 years for the same thing regarding Josh Rayner. You can't just assume these academy players are gonna be AFL quality just because we're Sydney. Cabor isn't even likely to be drafted now and Cleary is only looking to go in the 30's. A lot can change, they could both shoot into first round talks or fall off the map entirely

Go back 12 months and everyone thought Billy King was gonna be drafted out of our academy, turns out he didn't even get close. Go back 3 years for the same thing regarding Josh Rayner. You can't just assume these academy players are gonna be AFL quality just because we're Sydney. Cabor isn't even likely to be drafted now and Cleary is only looking to go in the 30's. A lot can change, they could both shoot into first round talks or fall off the map entirely

Every year players overrate the academy of every side really. It's not a shock when it occurs. If they are good enough talents they will go first round if not so be it.

Vastly in some cases no thanks to outside influences Campbell has shown nothing to be valued at pick 5 for example.

Meanwhile we were bagged to heaven and earth not bidding on Hopper and it’s proven correct at this stage.

Geez I feel like some are being very harsh on Campbell and are making him out to be worse than he is.

Thinking about our other youngsters, Gulden and Warner were playing midfield by their second seasons. McInerney was on the wing by his second season. Rowbottom was in the guts in his first season. Then I think about Blakey, who had a pretty tumultuous first three seasons. Like Campbell, his first season was one of exciting glimpses of talent with not much else. And like Campbell, his second season was an indifferent and rather forgettable one. By his third year, Blakey was dropped. What those two share more than anything IMO is raw talent that needs to be adapted into a role that works for them, rather than just having talent that lends itself to a clear and obvious role, like the others.

I think we should have some faith in the coaches that they will find this role for Campbell. If they have found roles for far less naturally gifted players such as Clarke, Lloyd, Hayward etc (no disrespect to those players), then I have faith that they will find a role for Campbell, just as they did with Blakey. I suspect they also have that faith in themselves, or they wouldn't have matched a bid on Campbell at pick 5, or re-signed him for 4 years straight away.

As of now, he's a kid who is developing and, despite not starring like we'd hope or perhaps expected comparative to the other youngsters, he's actually not doing a lot wrong. He's still showing glimpses of his speed and his skill in and around the contest, and has the luxury of time on his side in the VFL to bring together those glimpses into more complete performances.

IMO that's a pretty solid base to be developing from, so I'm not worried at all at this stage.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Vastly in some cases no thanks to outside influences Campbell has shown nothing to be valued at pick 5 for example.
I think we should have just played him in his preferred position (forward) then slowly given him wing time. I wouldn't discount the impact his injury struggles in 2021 had on improving his fitness base. Not really a cause for concern for me, we just need to get him fitter and play him consistently in the position we want him in at seniors.

There was an element of hype in his draft position though. Gulden was the hyped one the year before their draft, then the All-Stars game in which Campbell was BOG kicked off the change. If I recall correctly, it wasn't really as if Campbell had the better year in 2019, at least not by much, Errol won the BOG medal in the Sydney Premier League GF for example. Maybe it was size related, but the hype built for Campbell and didn't change for Errol (he was always projected as 1st or 2nd round).

Campbell probably wouldn't have gone until later in the top 10 / early teens at earliest normally, except that Hawthorn wanted to make us pay up, which they knew we would. I doubt they actually wanted him over DGB who they then took.

Shaq_01

Senior List
Nov 16, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney
I would love in Clearly got to third round and we had 2 second rounders

Either trade for 2024 needs

Or use

Good position to be In

I would love in Clearly got to third round and we had 2 second rounders

Either trade for 2024 needs

Or use

Good position to be In

Yep we've set ourselves up regardless of how the academy boys come on

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
First, it's too soon to talk about 2024 - there's a trade period between now and then, as well as a draft, SSP and MSD. Even in the drafts there are options that are touted as plug and play, like Ethan Phillips. Clearly our recruiters didn't see him as worth the punt but that hasn't stopped you saying you would have drafted talls anyway - but we'll still get our chance. I'm confident we have a plan.

Second, you appear to be assuming that Reid will be gone or past it in 2024. I don't think we can be so sure.

Third, I wouldn't want to do it for a whole season but playing matches with only one tall forward, instead of two or three, is not such a crazy thing in my opinion. Especially not when we have great mediums like Heeney and Hayward. By 2024 HHK may also be another option.

Fourth, as previously noted, we have the option of swinging one of the McCartins or Francis forward. I think the club is on record saying that we took Francis because we think he has the tools to play down back. I also think it would be a shame to move Tom back forward - but Paddy is a real - and strong - option.

So while I agree that (a) we have a clear need for talls, especially KPFs; and (b) those players take longer to develop so we need to get them in sooner if we want to have them playing in the forseeable future, I'm still not too troubled by the club's approach. I think we have a team of the best in the business oversighted by more of the best in the business and I really have faith that they know what they're doing. Sometimes it's a pity they don't do a better job of explaining it to us.
Sam Reid will be 32 in 2024. With his injury history it is not beyond it to assume he will be retired by then.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
This sums up my feelings. The only thing I'll add, while it's good to have a big key forward there's no reason Amartey or McLean or another tall can't provide that service today.

The last time we won the GF our key forwards were LRT and Reid. Neither were kicking bags but provided the height and strength to bring others into play. I don't see why McLean can't do that, he already has in patches. He just needs to strong it together more often
You forgot Goodes at FF

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back