List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perhaps people should read my posts, nowhere have I had a go at any player we've drafted. They could all turn out well, not get into the team, and meanwhile we're rucking Amartey full time or having to play HHK as a key forward due to injury.
Maybe, just maybe, they didn't think any of the guys available who could provide depth in those roles were any good?

Maybe, just maybe, they didn't think any of the guys available who could provide depth in those roles were any good?

Yep they basically said it- they didn’t rate the talls, they didn’t come on as expected, so what can they do?

Mclean and amartey aren't exactly world beaters... no harm in getting another ticket in the raffle

Why can’t that be done in the rookie draft where we are only bound by a year contract

Don’t understand people complaining today that we didn’t draft for need. Our recruitment team frequently noted before the draft that they wouldn’t be doing so in the main draft. They were always going to take best available.

There were no sneaky picks to make other clubs match, there were no bolters, we had a list of best to worst pick and used the list to select the player at each available pick (and where we didn’t see a big difference between the player we would have taken with our first pick who we thought would still be available at hawthorn’s second pick, we made a trade).

It’s pretty straight forward. Perfectly fine not to agree with it, but you could see it coming a mile away.

This is the problem right here. People make the pointless statement that a ruck or KPF shouldn't be drafted because we don't need them next year, which is true. But they have no vision. They will be needed when we have a bunch of retirements, others leave/get delisted. Which is very soon. Then you have the same types who say there's no point drafting anyone because they'll take too long to develop anyway. What amazing logic. Just keep putting it off until we're so desperate we'll take anyone, who won't be ready.
I get your frustration I really do, I was very much in favour of a pro-talls draft this year and you and I were in strong agreement that our talls are our greatest area of need.

But the reality is our recruiters obviously just didn't rate the talls enough this year.

I'm not saying any of the guys we've picked will make it with us - they're gonna find spots in this team hard to get, not just in the next few years but beyond 3-4 years down the track. I said all along that if we draft smalls then we're drafting potential flight risks for this reason.

But at least if they're good, and they do end up being traded, we can get something for them, which Dalrymple himself referred to. It's a considerably better situation than clogging our list with talls who won't make it and we get nothing for them.

Mclean and amartey aren't exactly world beaters... no harm in getting another ticket in the raffle
I do that and get told I have a gambling addition...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Cooper Vickery highlights what stood out was excellent foot skills that placed the kick to the advantage of his team mates every single time. You don't see that too often amongst draftees indicating high footy IQ.

Vickery appears very promising and seems to have has excellent vision (hitting targets inboard) to go with long delivery. Looks like he will fit into current gameplan well and could see him as a Lloyd replacement in another year or two.

Welcome to the Swans family Cooper.

Tom scully..great pick

Watching Cooper Vickery highlights what stood out was excellent foot skills that placed the kick to the advantage of his team mates every single time. You don't see that too often amongst draftees indicating high footy IQ.

Vickery appears very promising and seems to have has excellent vision (hitting targets inboard) to go with long delivery. Looks like he will fit into current gameplan well and could see him as a Lloyd replacement in another year or two.

Welcome to the Swans family Cooper.

Definitely not knocking either Vickery or Mitchell. I just wonder why we didn't even attempt to address needs in this draft. I hope Vickery and Mitchell turn out to be stars.

That's the point. We've already got Amartey and McLean.

I can only see 1 of them being best 22 at any given time. Let's say we think the prospective draftees have a similar ceiling, why bother?

We can't have 3 players playing that second ruck/3rd tall forward role.

Don’t understand people complaining today that we didn’t draft for need. Our recruitment team frequently noted before the draft that they wouldn’t be doing so in the main draft. They were always going to take best available.
The fact that the club is doing what they said they would doesn't mean people have to love it.

That's the point. We've already got Amartey and McLean.

I can only see 1 of them being best 22 at any given time. Let's say we think the prospective draftees have a similar ceiling, why bother?

We can't have 3 players playing that second ruck/3rd tall forward role.
I wouldn't be surprised if at least one is delisted next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back