List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes, Gould might turn out ok.

But I still wouldn’t object if we packaged up our two firsts & took Busslinger.

Having said that, if Melbourne continue to tank we might get Busslinger and another first rounder!

If we can trade up, Busslinger is the obvious one.

Outside of that Hustwaite, Barnett, Weedle, Keeler and Scully are all tall options

If we can trade up, Busslinger is the obvious one.

Outside of that Hustwaite, Barnett, Weedle, Keeler and Scully are all tall options

Don’t want Scully the rest look good options

He's 21.

By the same measure Blakey is no Malceski, Rowbottom is no Pendlebury and McInerney ain't no Isaac Smith.

Not saying he's worth 800k or not, just think it's funny that this board puts lines through youngsters from other teams in the comp, but ours? Well it's too soon to write them off - they're destined for greatness!

I’m not writing him off, all he is is a flash player who does 1-2 decent things a game and has done little to command that money. Wouldn’t pay him half of that

But again, he's 21 in an average side, so I wouldn't be rushing to judgment either way. (IMO $800k is rushing to judgment also, just the other direction.)
I’m going to make a call based on nothing other than gut feel and with no evidence whatsoever, hence might be completely off the mark (as usual) …. but ….:

Off-field discipline could be an issue.

Last edited:
Ive gone the other way. I was keen on a Taranto / Hopper type, but now Im not. An inside midfield of Parker, Mills, Rowbum and Warner is performing pretty bloody well.. and Warner and Rowbum (maybe Mills) still have a few years of improvement in them.
Bring in a gun mid and who goes out?

Win today by a decent margin (should do) and we move into 3rd.. win again next week (also should do) and we're in 2nd.
We've got players like JPK, 2 of McDonald/Amartey/McLean, Campbell, Cunningham, Sheldrick, Roberts, Gould etc playing reserves. All those younger guys still have a few years of improvement in them.
I dont reckon we need to trade in anyone. And Im pretty sure we dont need to spend extra salary cap convincing players to come to the Swans.
Ill be happy again to go to the draft, but I reckon we'll trade some player(s) in.. interested to see who
Not sure if Darcy Gardiner has extended with the Lions. He or Logue would be good trades IMO. Wouldn't bother trading in any other position.
Outside the McCartins we don't have another KPD and don't "Gould" me.
Draft a KPF, KPD and a high ranked mid and possibly a project ruck.
The draftees except the mid are 2 or more years behind the incumbents which is a nice position to be in.
With a few to retire this year or next we won't need to delist heaps.
Setting us up quite nicely.

Surely we are under the salary cap this year? Where did the 650k x5 for Dawson go? We still let Hewett walk.

Bud retiring or coming off 1M+ would save us 600k ish. Lets assume ALL of Buddy’s 600k saving has gone to extend some of the young guns - Gulden, Campbell(?), Logan.

Kennedy also retiring or coming down significantly if he plays on - conservative 400k?

Still leaves about a mil to play around with. So surely we are after someone
That only works if you assume that they money there hasn't already been spoken for in ramping up payments in players like mills heeney and papleys contracts. Like, the club wouldn't have these contracts end and be like "wait we have all this money available now" it would adjust and plan around the amount of money they forecast to be available in 4 years when X and y contract are expected to be up.

That only works if you assume that they money there hasn't already been spoken for in ramping up payments in players like mills heeney and papleys contracts. Like, the club wouldn't have these contracts end and be like "wait we have all this money available now" it would adjust and plan around the amount of money they forecast to be available in 4 years when X and y contract are expected to be up.

Would've though that Mills & Heeney would already be on top coin prior to their extensions. So the difference from 700 -> 900? only accounts for 200 each .

I'm sure salary cap calculations aren't as simple or black and white as I made it out to be, but surely there's left over cash. What was the alternative? Re-sign Dawson for 650k for 5 years, then lowball Mills, Heeney, Paps? I think not, so there has to be cash left over.

They've got to get Clarko first don't they? North board were certain Clarko was signed and to be announced this past week
I can't see Clarko moving out of Vic, so there's that. And Norf have about $1.5 mill not allocated under the soft cap. He's got a lot to play with.

I can't see Clarko moving out of Vic, so there's that. And Norf have about $1.5 mill not allocated under the soft cap. He's got a lot to play with.
Dalrymple left the Doggies because he was tired of Bevo overstepping his boundaries and picking players. Clarko seems to need absolute control of his list these days, not entirely convinced Dalrymple would be interested

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if Darcy Gardiner has extended with the Lions. He or Logue would be good trades IMO. Wouldn't bother trading in any other position.
Outside the McCartins we don't have another KPD and don't "Gould" me.
Draft a KPF, KPD and a high ranked mid and possibly a project ruck.
The draftees except the mid are 2 or more years behind the incumbents which is a nice position to be in.
With a few to retire this year or next we won't need to delist heaps.
Setting us up quite nicely.
What about Gould! Haha.. just stirring.
Yep agree with retirements of Sinkers, Buddy, Hickey, Reid, Rampe over the next couple of years, trading or drafting talls is most likely. I reckon Logue is a half decent chance to be a Swan next year (his manager spoke to Swans a few weeks ago - take that to mean whatever you want). Also reckon Gould (who I rate) will leave for more opportunity

Ive gone the other way. I was keen on a Taranto / Hopper type, but now Im not. An inside midfield of Parker, Mills, Rowbum and Warner is performing pretty bloody well.. and Warner and Rowbum (maybe Mills) still have a few years of improvement in them.
Bring in a gun mid and who goes out?

Win today by a decent margin (should do) and we move into 3rd.. win again next week (also should do) and we're in 2nd.
We've got players like JPK, 2 of McDonald/Amartey/McLean, Campbell, Cunningham, Sheldrick, Roberts, Gould etc playing reserves. All those younger guys still have a few years of improvement in them.
I dont reckon we need to trade in anyone. And Im pretty sure we dont need to spend extra salary cap convincing players to come to the Swans.
Ill be happy again to go to the draft, but I reckon we'll trade some player(s) in.. interested to see who
Yeah I'm just not convinced by some of those mids you mention.

I dunno... I go back and forth on it.

What about Gould! Haha.. just stirring.
Yep agree with retirements of Sinkers, Buddy, Hickey, Reid, Rampe over the next couple of years, trading or drafting talls is most likely. I reckon Logue is a half decent chance to be a Swan next year (his manager spoke to Swans a few weeks ago - take that to mean whatever you want). Also reckon Gould (who I rate) will leave for more opportunity
Ever since the end of his first year I've struggled to see where Gould fits. He has a lot if the skills and I've seen more if him in ressies this year but he reminds me more of a bush player than an AFL player. I've watched his man run away from him and he not follow. Seems to lack a bit if self-discipline or concentration.
He's as good as, possibly better than, Melican or O'Connor now but I think well short of either McCartin or Rampe. Fox plays a different role.
So in the end I just don't know.
I've been really pleased to see Stephens come good and DEMAND his place in the team, pushing Ollie back and Harry out so he's a great example of never giving up. Problem is that at this stage of the season Melican would get a run before him as a known quantity.
He may need to leave. Crows could use him.

I think for us to bring in anyone of significance, we will need to lose a regular best 22 player. Just get the impression we are going to be under cap pressure otherwise given how promising our list is. If we do lose a best 22 player, I'd say that Buddy and Lloyd are the most likely:

1) Buddy - I reckon it would be a better than even bet he retires. I get the impression Jesinta has post playing plans for both her and Buddy. This talk of the Lions is rubbish. Living up in BNE, I speak to alot of Lions people and a 36yo key forward is not their most pressing list concern.

2) Lloyd - he may want to stay but will we be able to match offers for him? Alot of clubs need a player of his experience and skill set. He would be a loss but I get a real "Malceski" vibe about where he is placed in relation to our list needs and the requirements of others.

I'm not advocating we let either go, just highlighting that if we want to bring in an emerging or established player from another club, we will most probably have to give someone up..............

One thing which is clear is the Swans win more than we lose when it comes to trades. We can bang on about Mitchell all we want but Jones and Hanners have both been fizzles at the Saints. Meanwhile Hewett has been great at the Blues yet his back problems may mean he has a career plagued by injury. I'm happy to just be along for the ride 90% of the time and be glad we didn't sign Polec for a massive contract

Not sure Gould will leave. Is he going to get an offer anywhere else if he does?

I think he either gets delisted and plays at state level next year, or he gets another 1 year contract if we think he can crack the best 22 next year.
He will got a go somewhere. No KPD but can play in back 6.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back