List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depends how close we are to a flag.

Dusty and heeney as permanent forwards would be terrible for the opposition to man up
I'm not sure I'd load up on a forward, just to have our mids not win the ball, or have the same somewhat common delivery issues. We have the forward talent in Heeney, Papley, Hayward and others if you get the delivery consistent and good. I'd rather shore up the backline, or improve the midfield first. Not worth a first rounder and the price tag imo, especially since he clearly has off field issues that might keep him from playing a lot. I hope we don't chase a short term marquee for the off field benefits, over the longer term benefits of using the pick and/or money more wisely.

Dimma quotes from: 'He has my blessing': Dimma green lights Dusty departure

"There's no coincidence the work he puts in gets rewarded with his on-field performances..."Even after [Tuesday's training] session, he's doing extra running because that's the sort of performer he is..."We use him as an example for our young blokes, 'Listen, you want to reach that level, first of all good luck but this is how you go about it.'"

That in itself would be a huge benefit in helping develop a young team, although, you'd have to consider the size of his contract, and the cost in terms of lost opportunity to bring other players in.

Wonder if we're any chance of taking Thilthorpe once Buddy retires, that'd certainly repay the Dawson debt.
You reckon we're a chance of nabbing an Adelaide lad, lifelong Crows fan, from the Crows, and beating out the Vic clubs if for some reason he wanted to leave?

"There's no coincidence the work he puts in gets rewarded with his on-field performances..."Even after [Tuesday's training] session, he's doing extra running because that's the sort of performer he is..."We use him as an example for our young blokes, 'Listen, you want to reach that level, first of all good luck but this is how you go about it.'"

That in itself would be a huge benefit in helping develop a young team, although, you'd have to consider the size of his contract, and the cost in terms of lost opportunity to bring other players in.
I don't think we're short of leaders, professionalism even when JPK, Rampe and Buddy go.

Dimma the politician optimising market value.

Can we afford Dusty? Should we afford him?

Buddy has another 2 years left in him, probably enough cream going to go his way

Are people honestly discussion Martin coming here? I thought it was a joke?
It's all talk mate until I hear Harley or Beatson come out and say something. I'm not saying we wouldn't make an enquiry to see what $$ he'd be asking if he wanted to move up here, that's costs us nothing.

But given our usual reticence around our approach of others I'd say we'd be less than pleased with Dusty's manager releasing our approach into the media.

It's all talk mate until I hear Harley or Beatson come out and say something. I'm not saying we wouldn't make an enquiry to see what $$ he'd be asking if he wanted to move up here, that's costs us nothing.

But given our usual reticence around our approach of others I'd say we'd be less than pleased with Dusty's manager releasing our approach into the media.
Beatson or Harley will come out when the deal is done. You wont hear from them before then

I agree - I don't begrudge the Crows. Its a business and they got the best deal they could.

Dawson, however ....... I do hold a grudge. And no, not the kind that Tony Greig would "pork his caw" in.
One thing was done wrong. Dawson said "everything's fine" and the club planned accordingly. Then he pulled the plug at the last moment. It wasn't what he did, it was how and when. Crows drove a hard bargain. We did with Ladhams too. Such is life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were offering Dawson in the realms of 700-800 per year

Buddy has dropped 500k and will drop the same if not more next year.

Jpk will retire

Yes they're needs to be money spent elsewhere but the key guys to resign are in their 2-4th year and none of them a commanding 600k a year YET.

The money is there

One thing was done wrong. Dawson said "everything's fine" and the club planned accordingly. Then he pulled the plug at the last moment. It wasn't what he did, it was how and when. Crows drove a hard bargain. We did with Ladhams too. Such is life.
This has been done to death, but I still dispute the how and when. Yes he said halfway through the year not to worry. That may have been true, we really have no idea. Then after the season finished, he announced he wanted to leave. When, between those two points should he have publicly stated he wanted out? Before finals, the week of the Elim, to distract from the on-field? Before the B&F to throw a cloud over things? I really don't think he could win with the timing, he'd have been slammed either way by some.

He definitely fits the Sydney mould of a high end recruit. Yea his better days are behind him but he is going to continue to a massive force up forward for years to come.

Dusty winning a coleman would be such a dusty thing to do

imo guys like buddy/jpk etc will want to play on for another year if they know dusty is coming to us. I'd easily trade a late 1st rounder for another potential match winner. Salivating at the prospect of heeney/dusty/papley/buddy in our forward line. If you gave me the option of Dusty or a KPD then it becomes an interesting discussion.

imo guys like buddy/jpk etc will want to play on for another year if they know dusty is coming to us. I'd easily trade a late 1st rounder for another potential match winner. Salivating at the prospect of heeney/dusty/papley/buddy in our forward line. If you gave me the option of Dusty or a KPD then it becomes an interesting discussion.
Just think about alternating dusty and heeney up forward and in the middle. No respite for defences

Imo I can’t see Kennedy going on

Has buddy said he wants to yet?
Yep agreed.
JPK is my favourite player ever, but I just can't see him going around again next year - as much as that breaks my heart to say it :'(
The writing is on the wall now and I feel he's a smart enough man to see it.

We were offering Dawson in the realms of 700-800 per year

Buddy has dropped 500k and will drop the same if not more next year.

Jpk will retire

Yes they're needs to be money spent elsewhere but the key guys to resign are in their 2-4th year and none of them a commanding 600k a year YET.

The money is there
In relation to Dawson from what was reported it was as follows

“A desire to move home was the primary reason why Dawson elected to request a trade, and his five-year deal worth $650,000 per year was not much more than Sydney's final offer, which was also a five-season contract.”

We lost Dawson after offering $600k+ a year and brought in Ladhams so some of that space would be eaten up. Probably half. We may have $300k space.

When Kennedy retires we will free up $300k? Before a rookie replaces him at $100k.

The most cap space we could have in a year is $650k. Where we only pay 95% of the cap.

Not sure there is a lot of spare money there but there is some. Probably more so if Buddy pulls the pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back