List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The defender has had a growth spurt and this year apparently at 192cm.

Many watched him in defence?
El Nour? He looked good against us earlier in the year, though mostly intercept work, and we made his job easier with terrible decision making and forward entries. May not be the one-on-one defender we probably need more, but has done those roles before (haven't seen it). He can still bulk up a bit more and develop in that too, it's not like Tom McCartin was a beast when he was drafted. Either way if there's no better one-on-one alternatives, I'd still pick up an interceptor. Paddy could always do more one-on-one work in future, on the 2nd best KPF of the opposition.

If Amartey or McLean can't string a performance together to overtake Reid, then good riddance to them. No real loss

Reid has stunk it up for over a decade. How many games have we lost because he could not maintain a decent goal kicking technique?

If Amartey or McLean can't string a performance together to overtake Reid, then good riddance to them. No real loss
The problem is that Reid hasn't been in form at either senior or reserves level since earlier last year. If Amartey or McLean get overlooked when in form at reserves level for Reid (arguably only Amartey can claim that currently), then it's a problem. Yeah Reid kicked 3 at the weekend, but it was an anomaly of relatively accurate goalkicking from him (3.2 with a couple of frees). I didn't think he was that impressive otherwise, but has kept his spot for now. The problem is, that he's likely to drop off again, go back to reserves and if he comes in ahead of an actually in form Amartey or McLean next time, it's just a doubling down of the issue.

That said, I'm yet to be convinced of Amartey or McLean as long term KPF options, so there's that.

Reid has been a passenger plenty of times but he's never been responsible for us losing
No individual player is ever responsible for us losing. Results are made up of the sum of performances, what happens over a whole game. If a player whose job it is to take F50 marks and kick goals, can't do that, except on rare occasions, then they don't help win games that's for sure.

I fear that Reid may get yet another year and that either Amarty or McLean will say stuff this and go.
Amartey, Stephens and McLean are the most likely players to ask for a trade at the end of this year.

Probably in that order too but Reid has the experience required while we settle McDonald and Ladhams into their roles for the team. I would like Amartey to get a couple of chances this year just to see how he has progressed in 12 months though. Amartey is probably our most mobile/athletic tall which is an exciting proposition post Buddy but I don't think he'll have the patience to wait around another year in the twos.

Amartey, Stephens and McLean are the most likely players to ask for a trade at the end of this year.

Probably in that order too but Reid has the experience required while we settle McDonald and Ladhams into their roles for the team. I would like Amartey to get a couple of chances this year just to see how he has progressed in 12 months though. Amartey is probably our most mobile/athletic tall which is an exciting proposition post Buddy but I don't think he'll have the patience to wait around another year in the twos.
I could see Amartey or McLean asking for a trade at some point if they're in form at reserves level but not getting a look in. I don't think that'll be an issue at least for McLean as he seems to get selected a fair bit even if he's not in great form.

Stephens though, extended for 2 years after a year where he got dropped (harshly imo) and then struggled later on when he got back into the side. So we did give him opportunities later in the year, he just wasn't good enough. So I think he realises it's his form that's the issue and is willing to be patient. I think he was harshly dropped again earlier this year, at least when compared to the opportunities afforded to some others, but didn't set reserves alight. Probably had his best reserves game this year on Friday, so if he keeps that up and we don't bring him back in, maybe he'll get unhappy, but time will tell.

They may just be waiting on the verdict from Buddy about whether or not he will be continuing. If he chooses to continue, then they may request a trade, ala Membrey/Goodes.

McLean & Amartey signing on makes perfect sense. If they have the patience required - given both were rookie picks, I suspect they do - then they are just biding their time until Buddy, Reid, maybe even Hickey all go within a year or two of each other. They know very well they will go from being depth players to incredibly key players for us just like that, so a longer-than-usual apprenticeship in the reserves is a small price to pay for a massive opportunity that will come to them.

Stephens made less sense at the time. Whilst I'm glad he was loyal and that he did re-sign, he was always going to be up against it with us. He's at the back of a long queue of players who are mostly young and not going anywhere any time soon. We can afford to be fussy with him in the VFL because we want him to meet his KPIs and perfect his game if he is to perform above the level of the incumbents in the team. Teams like Adelaide or even Collingwood who were after him, they wouldn't be so fussy. They'd take a kid racking up 30+ in the VFL regardless of how imperfect his game was. I suspected this would be the case for Stephens and why I said it would probably be in his own interest if he went elsewhere for opportunities.

Kennedy's injury, as well as Roberts debuting and seemingly not being quite ready yet may help Stephens, and put him in the box-seat to be the 'next kid in', so to speak. So I guess we will see in the coming weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we keep both McLean and Amartey but I'm not convinced both will make it. McLean has shown the most at the top level but neither make me think either will be much more than part players.
McLean in form, presenting, clunking marks, being an outlet option at his best is up there with someone who could be a key member of a 22. Add to that the benefit of pinch hitting in the ruck. Except he's shown that in glimpses e.g. the Cats game last year and a couple of others. Maybe he springs to life when he's the no.1 or no.2 after Buddy, Reid are gone, but I'm not convinced. I'd keep him around as long as he wants to stay though, at the current level he's a handy depth player and could get into a run of form which warrants a spot in the 22. Same with Amartey, would only seek to move them on if we had better alternatives long term.

McLean in form, presenting, clunking marks, being an outlet option at his best is up there with someone who could be a key member of a 22. Add to that the benefit of pinch hitting in the ruck. Except he's shown that in glimpses e.g. the Cats game last year and a couple of others. Maybe he springs to life when he's the no.1 or no.2 after Buddy, Reid are gone, but I'm not convinced. I'd keep him around as long as he wants to stay though, at the current level he's a handy depth player and could get into a run of form which warrants a spot in the 22. Same with Amartey, would only seek to move them on if we had better alternatives long term.

I am very confident McLean will be a part of our forward line for the next decade. Once we have a strong midfield that can win the territory battle most weeks, he will benefit greatly. He's already getting 2-3 scoring opportunities a game now and that's with a midfield that breaks even with others at best. The more entries we give him the more we'll see him clunking them.

Amartey I'm less sold on, only because he hasn't really put together any comprehensive performances at senior level yet, more just cameo type games. But I think the potential is there.

Re. McLean/Amartey

Even a few seasons ago, I remember worried discussions on bigfooty about where we were going to get a key forward from after Franklin/Reid. Because it is hard to trade in a quality one. And at the time we did not have low draft picks to select a young star who would also take a while to develop.

So I think we are in a good position having Amartey/McLean as backups and then possibly first team players in the next few seasons.

Because you look at other clubs this season that have suffered from not having a tall forward available, ruck backup or key position defender depth.

Re. Stephens.

Without injuries I think it was an uphill struggle for him to be best 22. At the start of the season, I actually had Stephens and Campbell as 23/24. Because it seemed like Gulden, McInerney and Florent would be playing wing. And you would have players like Heeney and Warner who could spend time there.

I suppose he just have to keep working on his game and not get frustrated knowing he has got quality players in front of him. Also he seems really close friends with Warner so that might be something that will keep him at the club.

Last edited:
I for one am glad they fired Tom Morris simply for the fact that I could tell the difference between he and Cal Twomney.

Now I'll never be confused again.

I am so much worse. From a distance I can't tell the difference between Buddy and Kennedy.

For future reference so you're not confused when watching:

Buddy is the guy light on hair on top, slightly hunched back, ridiculously big arms, usually found at the bottom of a pack or with two guys hanging off him at a stoppage. Very mild-tempered and fair.

Kennedy is the tall guy with tattooed sleeves, darker skin, usually winding onto his left foot to boot goals from outside 50. Very hot-headed and can be ill-disciplined.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back