List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Jackson was much more athletic, Broadbent reminds me a bit of Jarrod Witts but a bit cleaner with disposal and around the ground impact, so while I think he's 'safe' early on to turn into a number 1 ruck

Jarrod Witts... we should have never let him get out of Sydney...
Broadbent sounds promising, with Naismith and Sinclair likely to drop off the list this year I'm sure we'll be looking for talls

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
If King is main draft worthy he covers a lot of bases. KPD much more important, I would say mature age player and a draft age one, unless O'Connor really comes along... I'm a bit ambivalent on Gould's chances but he's got a year to change some minds

Gould will come good for sure. We don't often bring defensive keys in without a few years in the system and knowing they know the roll. His draft class has probably had the worst interruptions of all with covid but he'll make himself known as a player this year.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Mods Message:

A little too early for this to kick off for 2022, we're going to lock this down until March 2022. It's not gone...just having a bit of a sleep :tongueoutv1:
Academy thread is open
Draft Board is there for all
Best 22 is open

It's sleepy time....we'll see you all in March;)

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm keen on chasing Jack Lukosius. Provided we win his affections and he doesn't overachieve this year, two (late) first rounders should be enough to get the deal done, and we have three to choose from (two this year and one future first). Some might say "King! King!" - but Lukosius is more gettable than King - and, Lukosius comes from SA, so there's less 'go home' factor/more chance of attracting him to Sydney.

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm keen on chasing Jack Lukosius. Provided we win his affections and he doesn't overachieve this year, two (late) first rounders should be enough to get the deal done, and we have three to choose from (two this year and one future first). Some might say "King! King!" - but Lukosius is more gettable than King - and, Lukosius comes from SA, so there's less 'go home' factor/more chance of attracting him to Sydney.
Pretty sure the SA clubs have been into him from his first day at GC.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah that worked for Dawson.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
If Logan McDonald bends us over that’s going to be an absolute steak to the heart of the club which will reverberate for a long time.
The principal around it after Dawson left is what matters.
It shows we effectively can’t draft outside of NSW, absolutely and utterly hamstringing our long term future.

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Pretty sure the SA clubs have been into him from his first day at GC.

Sure - but that's 2 clubs we're competing with rather than 10. And we have to sell ourselves (and Sydney over Melbourne) to him, not to the Suns. The point is we will have cap space to offer him a fair salary, and draft capital to credibly pitch ourselves as able to do a deal with the Gold Coast.

I agree it would be best for footy and the Suns if he stays at Gold Coast - but if he doesn't stay there, I hope we get him.

If Logan McDonald bends us over that’s going to be an absolute steak to the heart of the club which will reverberate for a long time.
The principal around it after Dawson left is what matters.
It shows we effectively can’t draft outside of NSW, absolutely and utterly hamstringing our long term future.

With all due respect I think this is a bit over the top. Granted I am concerned about the yearly loss of players we seem to experience and I think at some point that has to come to a halt if we're to take the next step towards winning a flag.

But we have lost players for a variety of reasons, not just because of geographical location. Aliir Aliir was from WA and Queensland, but requested a trade to South Australia. George Hewett was from South Australia but requested a trade to Victoria. Tom Mitchell was from WA but requested a trade to Victoria. So it's not like we are losing players purely because of homesickness.

The way out of the cycle though is to be drafting players who want to play footy. Not interested in money, external career opportunities or even necessarily being at their family's doorstep, but who just want to play footy and have great loyalty and will bleed for their club.

And it is possible. They're out there. JPK was a member of Victorian football royalty, but was given the chance to be with us and has gone on to become one of our best ever representatives. Luke Parker another, would've fielded huge offers from Victorian clubs but believed in our club and has gone on to become it's captain.

And you can also see it in the next generation. Florent has had every right to want to return to Melbourne - his mum and brother were there after losing his father, but has (so far) resisted that urge. Rowbottom has re-signed before he's even needed to twice now, and for 3 years each time rather than the standard 2 that flight risks typically do, suggesting a return to Victoria isn't even on his agenda.

And for all we know, Logan might be one of these kids too. Until there's evidence on the contrary, why not just give him the benefit of the doubt?

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
With all due respect I think this is a bit over the top. Granted I am concerned about the yearly loss of players we seem to experience and I think at some point that has to come to a halt if we're to take the next step towards winning a flag.

But we have lost players for a variety of reasons, not just because of geographical location. Aliir Aliir was from WA and Queensland, but requested a trade to South Australia. George Hewett was from South Australia but requested a trade to Victoria. Tom Mitchell was from WA but requested a trade to Victoria. So it's not like we are losing players purely because of homesickness.

The way out of the cycle though is to be drafting players who want to play footy. Not interested in money, external career opportunities or even necessarily being at their family's doorstep, but who just want to play footy and have great loyalty and will bleed for their club.

And it is possible. They're out there. JPK was a member of Victorian football royalty, but was given the chance to be with us and has gone on to become one of our best ever representatives. Luke Parker another, would've fielded huge offers from Victorian clubs but believed in our club and has gone on to become it's captain.

And you can also see it in the next generation. Florent has had every right to want to return to Melbourne - his mum and brother were there after losing his father, but has (so far) resisted that urge. Rowbottom has re-signed before he's even needed to twice now, and for 3 years each time rather than the standard 2 that flight risks typically do, suggesting a return to Victoria isn't even on his agenda.

And for all we know, Logan might be one of these kids too. Until there's evidence on the contrary, why not just give him the benefit of the doubt?

Tom Mitchell is from Melbourne.

He was just living in WA for a few years, I assume because Barry was an assistant coach at Freo (iirc).

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney

Whilst some players (read: Mitchell) are certainly more mercenary than others, it is a professional sport & all players are represented by managers whose sole aim in life is to get as much money as possible for their client (and skim 10% off in doing so).

So whilst I agree that recruiting the more "loyal" players is important (academy kids will always tend to have a bit more connection and loyalty), to suggest that money isn't important to some is, I think, a bit naïve.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Logan - on the one hand, he's a kid trying his best to establish himself in a team, whilst on the other, he has his manager moaning publicly about his club's offer. I'd be a bit pissed off with my manager.

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney

I don't know how much it counts for but: I remember watching an interview with Logan pre-draft where he was asked about whether he would want to return home to WA and he said he was keen to repay the faith of whichever club chose to draft him. At that point being drafted by the Crows or North Melbourne would have been a real possibility. Who knows if he considered Sydney as a possible destination and whether it makes any difference and indeed how much weight can be placed on words spoken by a kid before he turned pro. I guess he already had an agent/manager at that stage.

Whilst some players (read: Mitchell) are certainly more mercenary than others, it is a professional sport & all players are represented by managers whose sole aim in life is to get as much money as possible for their client (and skim 10% off in doing so).

So whilst I agree that recruiting the more "loyal" players is important (academy kids will always tend to have a bit more connection and loyalty), to suggest that money isn't important to some is, I think, a bit naïve.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Logan - on the one hand, he's a kid trying his best to establish himself in a team, whilst on the other, he has his manager moaning publicly about his club's offer. I'd be a bit pissed off with my manager.

Money is important but there are plenty of cases of players who have prioritised their club over their individual pay-check.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

The difference with all the players you mentioned, we didn’t spend pick 4 on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back