List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wills2g

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
How do Carlton have enough to go after Amon with there list and high priced recruits? Even somewhat Melbourne

Are we doing something wrong or is Sydney just to expensive

I honestly hope we aren't paying Heeney what a monster top 5 key forward would be paid as a medium fwd.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
This no knock on Lloyd but if we weren’t prepared to pay a hewett the money that was probably more needed why will they pay Lloyd who is more replaceable ( his position) and 29

Imo we shouldn’t offer him a contract, I understand the romance part , being a Skilton medalist etc
agree.. Not knocking Lloyd, but if i remember correctly, he was being chased by other clubs last contract and we were forced to pay overs for him.
I reckon a club like North and a few others could benefit from 3-4 years of his style of play.
Id be happy with a late compo pick, the salary cap space and the regular position and b22 spot for a Florent / Campbell / Corey Warner / etc

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
How do Carlton have enough to go after Amon with there list and high priced recruits? Even somewhat Melbourne

Are we doing something wrong or is Sydney just to expensive
Theres something really suss how certain clubs can afford to keep bringing in players?????
AFL want GWS to win - they have well over 20 1st round picks on their list., they want Carlton to win, Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, McKay + other top draft picks and they can still afford to trade in players on good money every year.
I reckon this is all part of why AFL House has refused an external review for 25 years! Corrupt as f**k

nb. Every billion dollar organisation (and most that are smaller too) have regular (5-10 years) external reviews.

Wheresbuddy

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Theres something really suss how certain clubs can afford to keep bringing in players?????
AFL want GWS to win - they have well over 20 1st round picks on their list., they want Carlton to win, Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, McKay + other top draft picks and they can still afford to trade in players on good money every year.
I reckon this is all part of why AFL House has refused an external review for 25 years! Corrupt as f**k

nb. Every billion dollar organisation (and most that are smaller too) have regular (5-10 years) external reviews.
We have a salary surf life savers cap, Melbourne clubs have a sombrero.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
We have a salary surf life savers cap, Melbourne clubs have a sombrero.
nah.. Our salary is kept in a wallet, so every time we buy something, everyone can see how much (little) we have
Melbourne clubs have a big safe (often hidden behind prints of the last time they won - except for the Dogs who keep their safe behind a life size poster of an umpire). These big safes are great because 1. they can hold a lot more cash than a wallet, and 2. no one knows how much is ever in them

Regarding the comparisons to where we're at, compared to clubs like Melbourne, Carlton, Fremantle etc., I say this:

No point comparing clubs like them to us, because they've had a LOT of time to get their s**t together. We only committed to a rebuild in 2019. Technically we're still quite early into our regeneration. I don't think rebuilds are as simple as just bring a whole bunch of talented players together and wait for them to grow and dominate.

Seems like the three steps you've gotta get through are get rid of the old (ie replace anyone who isn't gonna be part of the next flag push with younger successors), bring in the new (ie trial and error kids, separate the booms from the busts), and then trade accordingly (ie fill in any holes via experienced, ready-to-go recruits to take the next step.)

I would say we're still in the midst of those first two steps: we've got to maybe move on a few of the old who aren't delivering and find their younger replacements, and we're also still figuring out which kids are it and who might not have a future with us.

I know folks are keen on trading and I get why, but West Coast with Kelly are a good example of a team who went all in on a trade but didn't have their list in order to make that trade worth it.

That's my take anyway.

Wheresbuddy

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Liam Jones could be a good recruit if at the right price.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Just need elite talent through the middle imo , obviously easier said than done

We just lack the the elite/a grade through there amd pretty far behind the best
yep.. Mills is an a-grader, Rowbum and Warner might become a-grade, Parker and Heeney make up one midfielder. Would be great to trade in a top line inside mid
Im still on the Taranto train!

Mills, Warner, Rowbum, Heeney/Parker and Taranto - would make a bloody good inside mid group
Blakey, Florent, JMac, Cambell, Gulden + one of Stephens, Corey W (been impressed) - would make a bloody good half back/wing/half forward group
both groups will improve with time

Paddy, Logan, Amartey(chop out ruck) - would make an bloody good tall forward line (post Buddy)
Paps, Heeney/Parker, Hayward + one of Ronke, Wicks, Sheldrick, trade/draft - would complete that forward line pretty well

TMac needs help! I rate Cunningham, reckon hes got 2-3 good years in him. Rampe one more year. If Paddy goes forward we need another keep position/intercept player (Gould?) and need another small defender

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
A gun mid and a lockdown big defender ( adams like ) would be fantastic but I highly doubt it with a cap apparently
see what happens in the mid season draft? Tall defender, small defender, prob not a mid?? not far away

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
My guess is that the club has to think about our salary cap long term.

When our best young players approach their mid 20s, they will get big offers from other clubs. So they probably want to keep a bit of space to be able to retain players and have a strong list over the next few years.

Rather than go out and trade in a few players on large backended contracts. Because we are desperate to fill gaps in the list and be successful now.

Wheresbuddy

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
So Tom Browne reckons GWS can only afford to keep one of Hopper or Taranto.

If this is correct, I'd love for us to get Taranto. He would not only provide an instant lift to our midfield, but also have us covered for the long term given his age. Taranto, Mills and Warner for the next 10 years has a nice ring to it.

Obviously cap space is the issue but surely with Buddy's deal ending, a few retirements / delistings and us losing Dawson (?600k / yr offer for 3 years), we could afford to fit TT in. Throw in a first rounder and a tall forward ( they seem a bit short on those), deal done.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So Tom Browne reckons GWS can only afford to keep one of Hopper or Taranto.

If this is correct, I'd love for us to get Taranto. He would not only provide an instant lift to our midfield, but also have us covered for the long term given his age. Taranto, Mills and Warner for the next 10 years has a nice ring to it.

Obviously cap space is the issue but surely with Buddy's deal ending, a few retirements / delistings and us losing Dawson (?600k / yr offer for 3 years), we could afford to fit TT in. Throw in a first rounder and a tall forward ( they seem a bit short on those), deal done.

Hopper is a better player and would impact us more but probably harder to obtain given he is linked to Richmond anyways.

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
How about Swans give first pick (10?) and Lloyd to GWS for Taranto (who wants to remain in Sydney).
GWS give Lloyd and their 1st pick (8) to Richmond for Dusty
Swans end up with getting rid of Lloyd' salary and retain Melbourne's first (18?) but pick up Taranto
GWS get a top 10 pick and Dusty
Richmond get Dusty's salary off their books and receive a top 10 pick as well as Lloyd. Dusty is released on compassionate grounds, but Richmond get reasonable compensation.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back