List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

True just wonder if sometimes people would think ok trade Florent, rowbottom, Jmac, people with currency.

Ladhams is an interesting one, lets hope this season makes him pull his head in, he has talent
I think those questions only arise if the player wants to leave, you’re salary dumping, or you really need to trade in a gun (like de Goey for instance). I’d be open to trading Florent or JMac. Not Rowbottom.

I think we all need to lower the expectations on the types of players we attract

Taylor, Gray, brand, francis

I cannot remember what we gave for each.

But even amongst Shaw Jolly Mattner Richards (who was. spud at essendon) we got Chambers, Brennan, Spriggs etc

There's been a lot of talk about the good old days when we brought players in, however worthwhile considering what we've given up for them.

Two 'biggies' in Buddy RFA, no draft picks needed, Tippett pre-season draft, effectively no picks needed.

Happy to be corrected but I believe the last player we gave up a first rounder was Ted Richards back in 2005 (pick 19).
(We swapped first round picks with Port in the Ladhams deal).
Before that Barry Hall in 2001 (2 1st rounders), Paul Williams in 2000.

We always been a team that trades outside the first round.
Sure there was one great year (2009) when we brought in JPK, Mumford & McGlynn, but the guy we actually gave up the most for in that trade period was Mark Seaby (pick 22) who managed a grand total of 18 games with us.

We have never been big players at the top end of the trade table.

Every year big name players get thrown up and many seem keen to give up a couple of 1st rounders for 'that' player and every year another team 'wins' the trade period and we just keep dealing with the issues created by being a Sydney based team (cost of living, no go home factor etc) as best we can, which primarily means the draft and concentrating on development and retention and hopefully occasionally hit the jackpot with the academy.

It got us a GF this year and since 2003 (when Roos took over) we've played in the finals 17 out of 20 years.

Happy to continue to back in the list management/recruitment team.
Mix of both mate,
Don’t always need to be an A Grader,
But Marty Matner, Rhys Shaw, Craig Bolton,Jason Ball, Darren Jolly, along the above mentioned where we have targeted
And they came cheaply (by my fading memory) added to players like Goodes, McV, Bolton, Mickey O. Leo B ect

From what I have seen here is vast majority love our kids and retention but also recognise these kids still need help and time to develop, while also saying don’t trade for trades sake, the one thing that is guaranteed what we did early 2000s gave us 2 x Flags… which way we go forward

I think both sides of thinking have merit…

Love the debate and chats 👍

I think those questions only arise if the player wants to leave, you’re salary dumping, or you really need to trade in a gun (like de Goey for instance). I’d be open to trading Florent or JMac. Not Rowbottom.

Agree and I think we all are on similar pages with most of our guns, so can see why we use our cap to keep them rather than grab stars,

plus our third party deal options are probably limited to groundsman at the SCG or something

It's not a gamble. It's the equivalent of picking something up on verge collection and putting it at the back of the shed

You don’t lose talent he was rated a top 10 pick in a strong draft. It’s a gamble and a 1-2 year deal is fine

What's changed?

We used to be so aggressive as a club. Could not rule anything out.

Now we could not be any more conservative
When did backing in a bunch of under 24s - some proven, some unproven - become conservative?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's changed?

We used to be so aggressive as a club. Could not rule anything out.

Now we could not be any more conservative

We just made a GF you don’t have to be agressive

Where players are drafted is the biggest con in the game. Just because another team made a blue and incorrectly judged a player doesn't add value to him 5 years on.

Hard to say whether he’s a player but bare in mind what Essendon have been lately. We’ll get the best out of him

When did backing in a bunch of under 24s - some proven, some unproven - become conservative?
Bringing in guys that cost nothing is as conservative as u can get.

It's vastly different to what the club used to be like. We would have no hesitation in trading our first for a player like richards and he turned into a star.

Sure not all the time it worked like trading Stafford for daffy but at least the club was swinging for the fences.

ATM wer a stepping stone for blokes on the way out of the system to local footy

If we weren't interested, francis was about to be desisted by the bombers. Let that sink in
I’m really not sure where your negativity comes from on this one.

Francis was pick 6 in the draft. He’s 193cm, agile and powerful. And only 25.

He hasn’t fulfilled his potential, likely due to mental health issues early in his AFL career - but put him in a strong supportive environment (like we have) & the potential upside is huge.

I’m pretty thrilled with this one.

A list of mostly kids that just made a grand final.
A team that just got pumped in a grand final and embarrassed anyone associated with the club.

You have to move forward in this league or you get no where.

Look at Melbourne, they sat on their hands and rested on their laurels and their season turned to dot s**t.

You get overtaken very quickly in this league if you stand still

I’m really not sure where your negativity comes from on this one.

Francis was pick 6 in the draft. He’s 193cm, agile and powerful. And only 25.

He hasn’t fulfilled his potential, likely due to mental health issues early in his AFL career - but put him in a strong supportive environment (like we have) & the potential upside is huge.

I’m pretty thrilled with this one.
It's nothing against francis. But it doesn't stack up to the moves our direct competitors are making.

Don't be fooled into thinking " oh the team is young we still improve every year for the next 5 years"

Doesn't work that way. We need to push the envelope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back