List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting that no contract has yet been offered to Naismith, Ronke or Bell.
Cunningham and Clarke yet to accept. Hard to imagine they wouldn't though length might be an issue for Harry.
I wonder how much depends on our trading (if any) and our draft strategy.
Perhaps we're hoping for interest in Melican and Ronke?
With Taylor gone we have one space on the rookie list for a potential delist/rerookie.
Interesting times.
Clarke should be asking for, and getting a 2 year deal. He won't be on big money, even now, has proven to be very useful, positive energy in the playing group and a good clubman like Fox.

Clarke should be asking for, and getting a 2 year deal. He won't be on big money, even now, has proven to be very useful, positive energy in the playing group and a good clubman like Fox.
I guess the difference for me between the two is that since coming into the team, Fox played some outstanding footy and was arguably one of our best players in our 9-0 run. Clarke didn't play outstanding footy, he just played his role. So I guess what our offer is to Clarke depends on how valuable we see that role going forward.

I would say two years seems fair, given he's still relatively young. If we trusted him to play in a grand final for us then we should trust that signing him for multiple years won't backfire.

Credit to Geelong for them being a destination club. Not just on field performances but also off field. Lower cost of living etc. is hard for even the Melbourne clubs to match plus the lifestyle balance.

Also helps that Geelong Falcons also produce a lot of decent players. The academy when you don’t have an academy.

I don’t get it, Geelong is a craphole of a place to live 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think his injury woes could have been reasonably anticipated.

He was a huge reach at the time though I’m past worrying about it we’ll just call it a howler and leave it at that

Don't think his injury woes could have been reasonably anticipated.
True. I think he fitted the sort of profile we recruited to later but his injuries badly impacted his pace. Stoddart and Foot were the sadder stories in some ways. Ryley never adapted to the pace of the game and Foot was a victim of COVID.

Charlie Gardener update

Interesting that no contract has yet been offered to Naismith, Ronke or Bell.
Cunningham and Clarke yet to accept. Hard to imagine they wouldn't though length might be an issue for Harry.
I wonder how much depends on our trading (if any) and our draft strategy.
Perhaps we're hoping for interest in Melican and Ronke?
With Taylor gone we have one space on the rookie list for a potential delist/rerookie.
Interesting times.

Maybe move Naismith from the AJ role to the Sinkers role

In 2016, picks 4-10 were ...

Ben Ainsworth
Will Setterfield
Sam Petrevski-Seton
Jack Scrimshaw
Griffin Logue
Will Brodie
Jack Bowes

Before we took Florent at 11 and Hayward at 20. Would you trade one of ours, let alone both, for any on that list?

It isn't a 'no brainer' to swap our 14 and 17 for a higher pick.
Yeah,
for all those who believe a top 10 pick is the be all and end all, let's also look at the 2006 draft.

Far more failures there than success stories. I think our recruiters will back themselves with the two late first round selections.

That is actually a very good top 10.

But to the point, I think the draft points are an underrated way to assign value. I think if 14 and 17 are worth significantly more than pick 7, that is a pretty good guide.

Should've said draft if you meant draft lol

Anyway, we've drafted well in the first round for the last decade. Only dud pick was Ling

Not that well

2012 - Dean the difference Towers didn’t make any difference

2013 - Zac Jones limped home and now struggling to lock down starting spot with saints

2014 - match heeney N/A

2015 - match mills N/A

2016 - florent tick (gf showing aside)

2017 - Ling went nowhere

2018 - match Blakey N/A

2019 - Stephens going ok (gf showing aside) but passed on serong and young who seem in different league

2020 - Logan looks good but early

2021 - Angus who knows yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back