List Mgmt. 2022 draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

A player with a lot of potential to be the mid-forward every team is after, we could afford to take the risk then build him back up, like cumberland even though he did his after being drafted

A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology

Yeah it’s too hard to get your head around this early, there’s a number of scenarios that could come into play.

I’ll be really surprised if Aarts and Martyn are still on the list next year, 40/60 on RCD, and reckon JR, Cotch and Dusty will be there next year

Personally I hope we keep next years R1 pick , listening to Cal Twomey this years draft has a real evenness to it after top 5 or 6. Back us in identifying a couple of kids with the CCJ pick and our 2R and a couple of rookies. Maybe leave a spot open for the 23 mud season draft
I agree on Aarts and Martyn, I think we've seen enough to know they aren't up to it. I also think it might be time to move on from RCD. I know there's a chance he's a late bloomer and he might catch on somewhere else, but I think our club is pretty good at developing players now. He hasn't shown enough improvement year to year. However, if we have 5 main list spots open and we only have 2 picks in the first 4 rounds, then I'd be open to giving him one last chance. But again, I don't think he's going to make it.

I think Jack and Cotch hang around too. I'm not sure on Dusty, I'm leaning more towards he stays because of his contract and recent injuries. But who knows what other teams think or where his head is at.

If that's the case, hopefully we can trade this years R1 and a R2 or R3 next year. Plus that protects our R1 next year if we miss finals.

I agree on Aarts and Martyn, I think we've seen enough to know they aren't up to it. I also think it might be time to move on from RCD. I know there's a chance he's a late bloomer and he might catch on somewhere else, but I think our club is pretty good at developing players now. He hasn't shown enough improvement year to year. However, if we have 5 main list spots open and we only have 2 picks in the first 4 rounds, then I'd be open to giving him one last chance. But again, I don't think he's going to make it.

I think Jack and Cotch hang around too. I'm not sure on Dusty, I'm leaning more towards he stays because of his contract and recent injuries. But who knows what other teams think or where his head is at.

If that's the case, hopefully we can trade this years R1 and a R2 or R3 next year. Plus that protects our R1 next year if we miss finals.
Robbie Tarant is the other one I completely forgot about. Interesting what Blairs thinking will be. Another year or trust in Balta, Gibcus, Miller, Grimes and Broad to get the job done.

We will end up with pick 11 or 12 depending on the result of Freo vs WBD. If Freo loses then we will have pick 11

One of the Phantom Drafts : 2023 mock draft: Who should your team select?
has the Pies jumping ahead of us to get Jefferson. A bit delusion that trade that Carlton would accept pick 16 and a 2023 2nd rounder for pick 10.

I like the look of Jefferson if we keep pick 11/12.

We will end up with pick 11 or 12 depending on the result of Freo vs WBD. If Freo loses then we will have pick 11

One of the Phantom Drafts : 2023 mock draft: Who should your team select?
has the Pies jumping ahead of us to get Jefferson. A bit delusion that trade that Carlton would accept pick 16 and a 2023 2nd rounder for pick 10.

I like the look of Jefferson if we keep pick 11/12.
I'm hoping that if we give more for Hopper(assuming he picks us)-Pick 19 & 30 that they might accept our future 1st for TT.
Keep pick 11/12 for Jefferson or whoever.
Would be ideal infact.

Pickett and Stack have to be upgraded to the senior list from the rookie list and with Taranto possibly coming in, that takes the Edwards, Caddy and Lambert spots. Aarts and Parker are Rookie listed so that isn't going to add spots to the main list. Unless trades happen I think we only have room for two players at most in the National Draft (Through Martyn and RCD). Maybe a Player with a contract can be delisted and put on he rookie list. But I am not sure.

We can't get both Taranto and one of the top KPFs, as it will likely cost our first rounder for Taranto.

I think we just need to hope on of the KPFs rated inside the top 20 slides to us at pick 19, or that at pick 30ish there is a second round pick KPF available. At 19, we maybe even need to reach a little to take a mid 20s rated KPF.

We really cannot keep putting it off. Lynch and Riewoldt are getting dangerously close to the end, and injury prone becomes a much bigger risk as time goes on for Lynch.

Either that, or you put aside money and make a big FA splash next year, though no idea who would be available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Blair can do the Tarantino deal for just pick #11/#12 or even better our 2023 1st rounder
GWS lucked out by trading for the Pies future 1st rounder and ended up with pick #2 so maybe they might roll the dice again
To me that should be the line in the sand.

If we are intent on Taranto and Hopper, we cannot trade away both our first rounders in 2022 and 2023 and Norths second to do it. One of those picks has to remain standing. With Riewoldt on his last legs and Lynch no spring chicken (and not adverse to injury), we need to draft a highly rated young KPF. If GWS wants steak knives then perhaps we can do it as part of a swap for a player surplus to our needs or one that just wants a fresh start. Or even if it's to another club and we just pass on the pick to GWS.

It just can't be that we just give away all our good picks and claim that the trade period has been an unmitigated success. For that to be true we'd need to be able to secure some incoming draft collateral as well. Speaking as someone that would just prefer we go to the draft, if we could get both Taranto and Hopper and still be able to secure a first roundish KPF this year or next, I'd happily admit Blair Hartley is a freaking genius

Last edited:
To me that should be the line in the sand.

If we are intent on Taranto and Hopper, we cannot trade away both our first rounders in 2022 and 2023 and Norths second to do it. One of those picks has to remain standing. With Riewoldt on his last legs and Lynch no spring chicken (and not adverse to injury), we need to draft a highly rated young KPF. If GWS wants steak knives then perhaps we can do it as part of a swap for a player surplus to our needs or one that just wants a fresh start. Or even if it's to another club and we just pass on the pick to GWS.

It just can't be that we just give away all our good picks and claim that the trade period has been an unmitigated success. For that to be true we'd need to be able to secure some incoming draft collateral as well. Speaking as someone that would just prefer we go to the draft, if we could get both Taranto and Hopper and still be able to secure a first roundish KPF this year or next, I'd happily admit Blair Hartley is a freaking genius
There are no players surplus to our needs apart from about 10 players which they wouldn't take

We have been going to the draft since 2017 and wont be that bad if we miss for a year

We can't get both Taranto and one of the top KPFs, as it will likely cost our first rounder for Taranto.

I think we just need to hope on of the KPFs rated inside the top 20 slides to us at pick 19, or that at pick 30ish there is a second round pick KPF available. At 19, we maybe even need to reach a little to take a mid 20s rated KPF.

We really cannot keep putting it off. Lynch and Riewoldt are getting dangerously close to the end, and injury prone becomes a much bigger risk as time goes on for Lynch.

Either that, or you put aside money and make a big FA splash next year, though no idea who would be available.

This is why I don't think we should go for Hopper as well as Taranto.
We need to draft a KPF or trade for one on the outer or via FA.
If we could somehow use pick 12 on Taranto with a swap of later picks, I'd be keen on us packaging pick 19 and our future 1st for a top 6-7 pick if that's gonna get us the KPF we need.
Sell the farm a little but allows them to learn under Jack and Lynch now and we have replacements for Cotch and Jack addressed this year.

Next year retirements; Riewoldt, Cotchin, Tarrant

Replaced with Top 10 pick, Taranto and Gibcus

Would like to somehow have multiple picks between 18-30 in this years draft. A number of players who I can't seperate.

Shades of 2016 draft.

I'm hoping we use both this years and next years 1st round picks plus our second, if next be, to get Taranto and Hopper. The we use the North pick to go after a KPF.

This would be my dream scenario
I'm just concerned about what kind of KPF will be available at 19. Both Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt were selected well within the first round. They would never have slipped to pick 20 or whatever we are going to have with priority picks and compensation pushing us back. Yes I know, different players, different draft etc and I guess you can always get lucky. But the later the pick the more luck we are going to need.

If we are truly serious in at least attempting to draft like for like talent wise and we are prepared to use next years first, surely we should be using it to try and move up the order to try and draft one of most highly rated junior KPFs. Got nothing against Hopper, but if we successfully trade in Taranto then we have to then ask what is the greater need and what will present the greater challenge in the future (both in terms of expense draft and salary cap wise, and also in availability). Getting another midfielder like Hopper or a tall like Riewoldt or Lynch

Pick 12 preferences (if we keep it)

1662325669552.png
1662325830278.png

Pick 19 preferences

1662326171292.png
1662326222251.png

Profiles from Inner Sanctum power rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back