Preview 2022 draft prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

What players are worth a rookie spot

Unless we upgrade Ginnivan, our only rookie spot is allocated to Murley.

In the event we do upgrade Ginnivan, someone said yesterday that we had actually nominated Ashwin as an NGA, so presumably he would get the spot.

More likely we keep it as an open senior spot and scout around for backup ruckmen.

What players are worth a rookie spot

Really surprised Mitch Szybkowski didn’t get picked up.

Sure he isn’t athletically a standout, but he is still a bloody good footballer. Could be a Jobe Watson type. Best hand baller of the entire draft crop.

Adam D'Aloia and Jaiden Magor would be very unlucky too.

Edit: Surprised about Kobe Ryan too actually.

The SA mids really got no love outside of Pou.

Last edited:
Surprised that nobody forced Essendon to match a bid on Davey.

would have been interesting to see if we would still have gone with Ryan if we had a choice of Hayes and George

would have been interesting to see if we would still have gone with Ryan if we had a choice of Hayes and George
When Hine gets a bump for a player, you could have buddy in front of him but he would only see his flanker ;)

I'm more shocked nobody bid on Alwyn til the 40's.. I rate him second round

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Ryan was a lock at 28 regardless of who was available. Hine probably rated him in the top 10. I would've liked Hayes, always good to get pies supporters into the club.

Unless we upgrade Ginnivan, our only rookie spot is allocated to Murley.

In the event we do upgrade Ginnivan, someone said yesterday that we had actually nominated Ashwin as an NGA, so presumably he would get the spot.

More likely we keep it as an open senior spot and scout around for backup ruckmen.
I believe if we nominate him and he goes undrafted we can take him as a Category B rookie, so if we did upgrade Ginnivan it won’t be for Ashwin.

Having said that prior to the draft Dekka indicated we may be looking to utilise the SSP this year so we may just take Murley as a category A and Ashwin as a category B and leave a spot for the SSP.

Last edited:
Looks like Hine and Co got the best available with Allen and recruited their targets in Ryan and Richards at a lower pick than anticipated. Trading into the 2023 Second Round is a good outcome - it will also add a little more enjoyment to each of the Bluebagger's losses next year. Disappointed that we didn't do what the Saints, Blues, Cats and Port did in getting a late tall - time will tell which clubs had the better policy on that. Thanks to all the posters for your thoughts and banter over the past few weeks, really enjoyed this Draft.

I believe if we nominate him and he goes I drafted we can take him as a Category B rookie, so if we did upgrade Ginnivan it won’t be for Ashton.

Having said that prior to the draft Dekka indicated we may be looking to utilise the SSP this year so we may just take Murley as a category A and Ashwin as a category B and leave a spot for the SSP.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

By getting Ryan, does this suggest coaches want Noble to be overtaken?
Back flank is a very important role in our system.
Seems like it will be IQ on one flank, and then they want someone else really good.

Seems like it will be IQ on one flank, and then they want someone else really good.
They all rotate through the bench. I'd be assuming same system as last year, but they're looking to move Nick out. Plus, we're trying to win the flag and we had no depth outside the team in those roles.

It looks like they're also looking to play Richards across HB.

I liked Magor.

From a needs perspective at this point, if we’re to rookie someone, it should be Verrall or another ruckman.
Toby Murray would be my pick - saw him out sprint Mac Andrews ( top 2. ? Pick last year), during a game, which was amazing for his size. Then played fwd and had excellent burst speed on the lead.
So very athletic and mobile but skinny - a bit like English was when drafted.

Last edited:
I think Ryan was a lock at 28 regardless of who was available. Hine probably rated him in the top 10. I would've liked Hayes, always good to get pies supporters into the club.
I don’t get the Ryan pick to be honest - unless IQ or Maynard are moving into midfield roles.
And even then Ruscoe/Wilson/Draper would be ahead of Ryan as HBF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back