List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
NAB League starts this weekend end (I think).

Reports from the weekends Sandringham practice match was that Will Ashcroft was his typical self, i.e finding lots of the ball and kicking goals.

The academy has been playing (poorly) the other Northern academy sides, and being soundly beaten.

There hasn’t been much commentary about Jaspa Fletcher, who’s played wing in the two games so far, in a team that’s been soundly beaten in both games.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Early commentary about this year’s draft crop, is that it’s looking pretty similar to last year’s draft crop in terms of quality and depth, albeit there’s much, much more KPP talent in this years draft, compared to last year’s.

So hopefully we might find a KPP still available if we end up with three picks in the draft.

I’ll be interested how we go about accruing enough picks/points for the Ashcroft bid.

Will we delist a contracted player or two, to create enough list spots/points.

Or might we push a late pick or two in to the rookie draft after matching bids for Ashcroft and Fletcher, and run with an extended rookie list next year.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Also, if you’re a subscriber to News Corp, you’ll have access to their match of the round from the NAB League, where we get to watch Fletcher and Ashcroft in successive weeks.

Schedule at the end of the quoted post.

Live stream: AFL partners with News Corp to bring readers NAB League match of the round​

They are the most exciting AFL draft prospects from across the country and they will al be in one place... on your screens. Find out how you can WATCH the AFL NAB League LIVE this season.

… (edited to remove the waffle).

Check out the live stream schedule for the opening 10 rounds of the NAB League Boys below.

WATCH THE NAB LEAGUE WITH NEWS CORP​

LIVE STREAM SCHEDULE
Rd 1 - April 2

Northern Knights v Sydney Swans
2.15pm - Highgate Rec Reserve

Rd 2 - April 10
Dandenong Stingrays v Brisbane Lions
12.15pm - IKON Park

Rd 3 - April 15
Sandringham Dragons v GWS Giants
11.45am - Trevor Barker Oval

Rd 4 - April 24
Gold Coast Suns v Western Jets
2.15pm - Brendale (Brisbane)

Rd 5/6/7 (split rounds) - May 1
Tasmania v Northern Territory
1pm - Highgate Rec Reserve

Rd 8 - May 28
Geelong Falcons v Oakleigh Chargers
2pm - Mars Stadium

Rd 9 - June 4
Dandenong Stingrays v GWV Rebels
11.30am - Shepley Oval

Rd 10 - June 19
Bendigo Pioneers v Murray Bushrangers
11.30am - Mildura

How a father-son gun is setting new standards for draftees

"It's every kid's dream to be the No.1 draft pick, every kid aspires to be that, but with the position Brisbane are in, they're in a really good window to win premierships and be successful for a long time. If I can play well, it's obviously going to be a really good option if I do end up going down that path," he said.

Last edited:

"It's every kid's dream to be the No.1 draft pick, every kid aspires to be that, but with the position Brisbane are in, they're in a really good window to win premierships and be successful for a long time. If I can play well, it's obviously going to be a really good option if I do end up going down that path," he said.
Pack it up, we're not getting him...

Although Ashcroft won't let allegiances get in the way – he's a Geelong supporter.

"It's probably mum and dad's fault for having me after dad retired. When I was old enough to understand footy Nigel Lappin had just started working for Geelong and I loved Joel Selwood so he sent me a Joel Selwood jersey," Ashcroft said. "I've been a Geelong [fan] ever since and Selwood's been my favourite player ever since."

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm quite happy with the first 2 weeks, in that all of the interstate teams bar Sydney and ourselves (and GC to a lesser extent) have looked absolutely awful. Some of that is circumstantial (I don't think West coast is a bottom 2 team) but the more of them in the top 10 of the draft the better. Adelaide looks really really bad and North managed to get a lucky win due to WC's covid issues which will help.

Ideally for us Adelaide, Freo, GWS, GC, West Coast all miss the top 8 and that takes up half of the spots in the top 10, and a bunch of them are in the bottom 5. That way it becomes pretty risky to not nominate in the hope of staying in Melbourne and takes away a lot of the stress. Course, still have to theoretically worry about trade ups but we haven't seen a single one on draft night into the top 5 just yet.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He does strike me as someone who’s not afraid to carve his own path even if that’s starting at a lower team.

But the opportunity to learn under Neale and Lyons among other youngish mids here and then likely being given the keys to the midfield will get him over the line I feel.
Plus the added sweetener of being a contender.

He will say the right things to come across as not just taking the easy come to the better team option, which will always cause anxiety amongst fans.

I come out of reading the article more positive about him coming...

Especially from a kid that obviously is fixated on being the best he can be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to rebuild.

What’s better; a 17/18 year old draftee, or a highly rated Falcon with two years in the system?
They seem to trade out their 1st round pick every year, how are they situated with the ole needing to take a first round pick to the draft every 3 or 4 years or whatever it is?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
They seem to trade out their 1st round pick every year, how are they situated with the ole needing to take a first round pick to the draft every 3 or 4 years or whatever it is?
2019 2 first round picks, 2020 1 first round picks.

They’re good for trading this year’s first round pick if they want to.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix

You read this article and you want him at our club even more

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not a Psycho

Senior List
Jan 15, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Reading through the corporate doublespeak, I'm very confident he'll come here.
Disregarding the main suggestion from him (I'm undecided) which the soft-heartedness of should assuage our more reactionary members.
His hero is Joel Selwood, a man that achieved his success at a club that was already there.
Basically guaranteed.

Fagenslions36

All Australian
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely when we have melb games we send a few of the boys out to have a chat or invite him into the sheds after the games . Build some relationship or is that not allowed ?

Surely when we have melb games we send a few of the boys out to have a chat or invite him into the sheds after the games . Build some relationship or is that not allowed ?
The guy spent a couple of months in Brisbane over preseason. He'll probably be up another couple of times. The guys would absolutely catch up if he's interested. No real rules about handling father/sons.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

He trained with us in the pre-season. I'd guess that he already has some solid relationships with our players.

Edit:

1648544928174.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back