List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Below chart taken from this thread

screenshot-2022-11-28-at-21-30-28-png.1563127

The draft was pretty much going to script, yes even with the Bulldog's salty bid on Fletcher, until the Sydney shenanigans. Every club before pick 16 pretty much filled a key need with their selection and picked the kid who could be regarded as best available on board.

GWS and Adelaide matched bids that came a bit earlier than expected.

Hawthorn's selection was somewhat surprising, and there were a few mids or mid/forwards that could have suited them still on board.

Collingwood made a real boom or bust pick.

Sydney drafted a pure small forward. Not sure that's really a need for them.

Then with the last pick of the first round, GWS made another boom or bust pick. Darcy Jones is really, really talented. He's also really, really light. He's the same height as Zorko, but will need to put on 20kg's to match Zorko's weight. But his ceiling is Shai Bolton like.

Last edited:
Stating the obvious here, but what an off season we’ve had.

In the trade period we’ve walked away with easily one of the top 3 hauls for established talent. Richmond can claim that both Hopper and Taranto will have a greatest impact, but I’d argue Dunkley is every bit the player of either of them. If McKenna finds his feet, and Gunston stays healthy that’s a spread of talent through the ground. I really liked Fremantles haul of Jaeger and Jackson but that’s heavily offset by Acres, Logue and Lobbs departures. Geelong got some good youth in, and will be interesting to see how they establish themselves over the next few years.

Now the draft last night was the icing on the cake. We just walked away with arguably the best talent in the pool. Look at what Port need to pay for JHF, GWS basically paying pick 3 + Taranto to get to pick 1. Ashcroft was an absolute steal for us. While some didn’t rate Fletcher that high, the professionals did, he will also fill a need for us down the track. We basically just got a haul that is only reserved for wooden spoon type teams. North’s 1-2 of Sheezel and Wardlaw will be rightfully viewed as the best combination, GWS seems more boom or bust by the accounts above, but anyone would be happy with those two.

Can draw comparisons to Richmond’s 2016 off-season, that played such a big part in their success. They landed some midfield support in Prestia (Dunkley), filled a list need in Nankervis (McKenna) got an underrated forward in Caddy (Gunston). Then went to the draft and got some serious talent in Bolton and Graham (Ashcroft and Fletcher) Throw in both sides losing one of their maligned key forward in Free Agency, Vickery (McStay) it’s seems pretty apt.

What I was trying to mean is that most likely our older players (Rich, Lyons, Zorko & etc) will be replaced by younger players (Wilmot, Robertson, Ashcroft, etc) by the end of 2023, and it will help us set up well for 2024 and beyond.

Hopefully that makes sense and not complete nonsense from me :drunk:
I always post complete nonsense. Its the only thing that makes any sense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking about it, as funny as it would be the Dogs bidding on Fletcher out of spite, I'm going to choose to believe they bid on merit and we got two of the 12 highest rated players at the draft for a smattering of late picks, in a year where we also picked up Dunkley and Gunston.

I mean after all, the 13 players invited to the draft night were also the first 13 players taken.

Thinking about it, as funny as it would be the Dogs bidding on Fletcher out of spite, I'm going to choose to believe they bid on merit and we got two of the 12 highest rated players at the draft for a smattering of late picks, in a year where we also picked up Dunkley and Gunston.

I mean after all, the 13 players invited to the draft night were also the first 13 players taken.
I know people like to talk about bidding in spite, but a lot of these are very professionally run outfits with a history of success.

I struggle to see Sydney bidding to spite anyone for example, despite the narrative from last night. They just often have very different rankings to other clubs. Same with a Geelong or a Hawthorn. I'm not prepared to give the Dogs the same level of benefit of the doubt as those well-run organizations but it's not like they were completely out there with the bid.

I know people like to talk about bidding in spite, but a lot of these are very professionally run outfits with a history of success.

I struggle to see Sydney bidding to spite anyone for example, despite the narrative from last night. They just often have very different rankings to other clubs. Same with a Geelong or a Hawthorn. I'm not prepared to give the Dogs the same level of benefit of the doubt as those well-run organizations but it's not like they were completely out there with the bid.
Bevo clearly looked unhinged - it was spite.

How can you tell? He's got resting unhinged face. :D
It's impossible to tell whether they bid out of spite or not but on the one hand it is difficult to see a professionally run club bidding out of spite in something as critical as their high draft pick and as you say if they did it's not inconceivable where he lobbed in the pecking order. And we wanted him and got him.

So all in all a bit of a nothingburger in terms of any spite conspiracy.

What are the things we're looking for tonight from our perspective? Mainly which academy players get through and are available as a cat B rookie?

I thought we'd probably definitely be done but this tweet from Mark Gottlieb who reports for Nine in Brisbane might indicate otherwise?

I didn't think we had any spots available so who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back