List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions have one spot left and its Cat B Rookie.

It will be Shadeau Brain if he gets through the draft.

Otherwise it will be Riley Greene or Max Pescud.

Take it to the bank!
Whose your guess Miller?

I'd be rapt with either Brain or Greene.

Shame we cant get both but hope its only out of one of these two - not a bad position to be in and shows the depth of our list with either boy filling our 44th and final spot on the list.

Whose your guess Miller?

Shame we cant get both but hope its only out of one of these two - not a bad position to be in and shows the depth of our list with either boy filling our 44th and final spot on the list.
Braine.

So we’re taking more rookies this year I guess Cocky Lester DWJ McKenna counting the players that have gone off our list that’s still one spot we had available disappointed we didn’t take Ethan Phillips we our last list spot would have been a massive need especially if Adams doesn’t get right

West Coast, St Kilda, and Carlton had really good drafts.

North picking Brayden George is really curious. Kid is a potential top 10 talent, but slipped due to his acl injury, but they are absolutely stacked with his type already, powerful forward/mid in the 6'1" to 6'2" range.

If Cockatoo doesn't work out, might be worth seeing who falls out of Norths list in 12 to 24 months.

Also, there might be a LOT of academy kids or father son kids in next year's draft. Especially in the second round.

Hawks have already traded out of the second round, because they have a father son kid they rate around the mark.

So there's a possibility we can turn our later picks in to a better pick. Especially if Geelong slide.

Also, there might be a LOT of academy kids or father son kids in next year's draft. Especially in the second round.

Hawks have already traded out of the second round, because they have a father son kid they rate around the mark.

So there's a possibility we can turn our later picks in to a better pick. Especially if Geelong slide.
Do you know if we have any quality father son or Academy picks next year Briz?

West Coast, St Kilda, and Carlton had really good drafts.

North picking Brayden George is really curious. Kid is a potential top 10 talent, but slipped due to his acl injury, but they are absolutely stacked with his type already, powerful forward/mid in the 6'1" to 6'2" range.

If Cockatoo doesn't work out, might be worth seeing who falls out of Norths list in 12 to 24 months.
I've got my eye on Alex Davies from GCS next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you know if we have any quality father son or Academy picks next year Briz?
I have high hopes for Billy Richardson from the academy.

He's a December birth. I believe he's up to 196cm already, and has a good build on him already. Good, but not great athleticism and speed. Reads the drop of the ball well, and is a strong mark. Can hold on to the ball to long, before moving it on. He's a good kick for a tall. Has to work on his decision making.

He should be a third round pick at worst. But there's a LOT of talk that next years draft is deep. Both in WA and SA colts, a lot of the 17/18 year olds were overshadowed by 16/17 year olds. And quite a few bottom agers played NAB League this year.

So, he could slide a bit if he doesn't take that next step in his development next year.

I really hope the academy or his QAFL club works on his game sense over the summer.

I'm really not sure who we have coming through as father sons, other than Levi Ashcroft in 2024.

I do have a decent list of potential academy kids out to 2026.

After Richardson, we have another 3 KPP's and a small forward next year, who could be "something" depending on their development. They're probably all long shots at this stage though.

Last edited:
No real issue here, pretty trivial but I do find it funny that our grade is reduced because other teams rated one of our recruited players better than expected. :D

BRISBANE LIONS

Picks (at start of the draft):
34, 35, 36, 38, 55

Selections: Will Ashcroft (2), Jaspa Fletcher (12)

The Lions took full advantage of the draft points system. They gave up Pick 36 and a future third to Hawthorn, then 63 and a future third to North Melbourne to add four more picks between 40 and 52 to get their top two prospects. They didn’t have to pay full, Pick 1 price for Ashcroft — despite being widely considered the best player in the draft — and they didn’t have to go into deficit to match a mid first-round bid on Fletcher, which wasn’t too unexpected. The complete midfielder who’s been compared to Sam Walsh, Ashcroft will slot into the Lions’ midfield brigade with aplomb, for he is as ready-made as they come. Fletcher might take a little longer as he just had an injury setback, but he could one day line up on the opposite wing to Hugh McCluggage. Would’ve been an A+ if Fletcher had attracted a bid a few picks later.

Grade:
A

No real issue here, pretty trivial but I do find it funny that our grade is reduced because other teams rated one of our recruited players better than expected. :D

BRISBANE LIONS

Picks (at start of the draft):
34, 35, 36, 38, 55

Selections: Will Ashcroft (2), Jaspa Fletcher (12)

The Lions took full advantage of the draft points system. They gave up Pick 36 and a future third to Hawthorn, then 63 and a future third to North Melbourne to add four more picks between 40 and 52 to get their top two prospects. They didn’t have to pay full, Pick 1 price for Ashcroft — despite being widely considered the best player in the draft — and they didn’t have to go into deficit to match a mid first-round bid on Fletcher, which wasn’t too unexpected. The complete midfielder who’s been compared to Sam Walsh, Ashcroft will slot into the Lions’ midfield brigade with aplomb, for he is as ready-made as they come. Fletcher might take a little longer as he just had an injury setback, but he could one day line up on the opposite wing to Hugh McCluggage. Would’ve been an A+ if Fletcher had attracted a bid a few picks later.

Grade:
A

Had exactly the same thought, particularly as it didn't end up making a difference to us.

Whose your guess Miller?

I reckon they will take Brain, but personally I'd take Pescud.

Greene would be a massive bolter and 2023 might show if they get that wrong, because he is a mature ager with limited exposure but if he has a big 2023, Lions likely miss on him and someone else will take him.

I know some of the players would like them to take Greene, the listed players really rate him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back